Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Question on wattage/voltage for smart phone (android) charging

So I have had a lot of issues with the chargers not working from one phone to another. My Galaxy SIII won't charge higher than 60% when I use one of the HTC plugs, and the chargers that I have are seemingly starting to suck. I wanted to find a good, high wattage/voltage or whatever it is, to charge my phones fast, full, and without issue. Right now I have an EVO 4G LTE on Sprint, and it seems that so far the charger is doing a good job, but I want to think about the future. I'm getting the Samsung Note III in April some time. Anyway, what do you brainiacs know about the chargers, how they function, and what would be the best functional charger for my phones, and maybe a galaxy tab III. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:41 PM

High voltage won't charge your phone fast. Most chargers for USB based phones should be 5v. You want one with more current. I think the one I have for my iPhone provides 1.5A. Seems to charge most USB devices pretty quickly.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Calguns Addict

USB 3.0 on a computer/laptop and a charger driver/program maybe?

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 12-14-2013, 6:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt79 View Post
High voltage won't charge your phone fast. Most chargers for USB based phones should be 5v. You want one with more current. I think the one I have for my iPhone provides 1.5A. Seems to charge most USB devices pretty quickly.

Good name for the subject

I have seen some 10-15v chargers now on amazon/ebay so I don't want to burn up a battery either trying to charge it too hot or fast. Just checking the calguns opinion.
Old 12-14-2013, 8:14 AM
Calguns Addict

You can read the charger (on Samsung chargers and iPhone USB chargers you might have to use a magnifying glass).

I have had good luck with all devices with 5v @ 800ma or greater. 1-Watt (1000ma) chargers seem to charge faster.

I have had bad luck with some cheap China chargers that throw noise on the microUSB, making touch-screen-use while-charging unusable.

Last edited by the86d; 12-14-2013 at 8:16 AM..
Old 12-14-2013, 12:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a cheap made in china 600mA 5.7v charger, and I found a Samsung 1w 5v charger in a box. I'm going to try the Samsung and see how it works. I'll buy a few more on Amazon too.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
I have a cheap made in china 600mA 5.7v charger, and I found a Samsung 1w 5v charger in a box. I'm going to try the Samsung and see how it works. I'll buy a few more on Amazon too.
Power = Volts X Current
1W @ 5V is only 200mA

You are better off with the 600mA one.

FYI... USB 2.0 maximum is 500mA and USB 3.0/3.1 is 900mA. Not sure how the charge circuit is current limited in the phone, but I would suspect it is current limited to about 500mA or so. Just a guess.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

Last edited by MaHoTex; 12-14-2013 at 1:07 PM..
Old 12-14-2013, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Do NOT try to charge with any more volts than what it was designed for. Increasing the watt/amp rating of the charger can sometimes help, but not always. And if you're always keeping your battery topped off, don't. Let it go down to 20% from time to time.

And remember, battery performance degrades with use. Replace it when it no longer performs.
Old 12-14-2013, 1:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
Power = Volts X Current
1W @ 5V is only 200mA

You are better off with the 600mA one.

FYI... USB 2.0 maximum is 500mA and USB 3.0/3.1 is 900mA. Not sure how the charge circuit is current limited in the phone, but I would suspect it is current limited to about 500mA or so. Just a guess.
So would a USB3 be a good cable to put on the charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
Do NOT try to charge with any more volts than what it was designed for. Increasing the watt/amp rating of the charger can sometimes help, but not always. And if you're always keeping your battery topped off, don't. Let it go down to 20% from time to time.

And remember, battery performance degrades with use. Replace it when it no longer performs.

I typically let the battery go full cycle. Full all the way down to zero, and then back up again.
Old 12-14-2013, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So would a USB3 be a good cable to put on the charger?

I typically let the battery go full cycle. Full all the way down to zero, and then back up again.
The USB 3 cable would make no difference. It is the USB driver chip inside the PC that provides the 900mA.

I would just go on Amazon and look for a 2 Amp cell phone charger and go with it. Not sure how the "rapid charge" stuff works, but I suspect they just increase the maximum current delivery.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 12-14-2013, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

There is a file within Android that must be deleted from time to time that contains battery statistics, but you have to be rooted to do it.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 12-14-2013, 1:55 PM

The galaxy s3 needs 1amp (1000mah) to charge best. A 500mah will take hours to charge, if you play with the phone while charging .5amp chargers will barely keep the screen on.

For the note, you will need the 2000mah chargers, or 2amp charger. A 2000mah charger will charge two gs3 phones no problem.

Stick with 5v chargers, just make sure they are higher mah ratings.

Also, a 6ft cable should be used with a 2000mah charger minimum... The 1ft cables charge fastest, as there is less resistance.
Old 12-14-2013, 2:00 PM

Forgot to mention, your battery is 2100mah, so at 1000mah charge cycle it will take 2.1 hours to charge fully.

At 500mah your looking at 4.2 hours for a charge, thats assuming the screens off and using no amperage.

The note will be 4-5000mah. And they are setup for the 2amp chargers.

Again, watch the charger length as it will severely impact charge times.

Final note, make sure the cable you buy has the correct pinout, many cables are actually USB only and are setup to only put out 500mah.
Old 12-14-2013, 2:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v0s View Post
Final note, make sure the cable you buy has the correct pinout, many cables are actually USB only and are setup to only put out 500mah.
I am not sure what you are talking about. USB uses pins 1 and 4 for power, 2 and 3 for D+/D-. No matter what USB cable is used, that does not change. Not that it doesn't exist, but I have yet to see a USB cable with current limiters built in. The PC (or the wall adapter for the cable) contain the circuitry for current limits.

Old 12-14-2013, 2:35 PM

So you haven't heard of it therefore it doesn't exist?

Gimme a ****ing break.

Its called a data only cable, and they will not allow full charge unless pins 2 and 3 are shorted.

Its also called charge only cables and chargers.
Old 12-14-2013, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So you haven't heard of it therefore it doesn't exist?

Gimme a ****ing break.

Its called a data only cable, and they will not allow full charge unless pins 2 and 3 are shorted.

Its also called charge only cables and chargers.
It's all good.

That is why I said "Not that it doesn't exist, I just have not seen..."

I will have to go see what the shorting of pins 2-3 does. I haven't seen cables with pins 2-3 shorted either, but, I have seen them with pins 2 & 3 removed.

ETA: The USB cable, if shorting pins 2 & 3 together, would no longer be a "USB cable" but a charging cable. I am going to go poke around and see about the pins 2 to 3 short in a charging cable and research the design concept behind it.
ETA2: It appears the chargers which you plug the USB cable into are where the short is made. It connects the D+/D- lines together to tell the device to allow more current for charging. Otherwise the device will limit the draw to < 500ma.

Last edited by MaHoTex; 12-14-2013 at 3:34 PM..
Old 12-14-2013, 2:38 PM

Sorry that came out harsh. But yes, cheap cables will not allow ac charge, and will default to the 500mah settings. You can tell usually because the charger will get really warm.
Old 12-14-2013, 3:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So I have had a lot of issues with the chargers not working from one phone to another. My Galaxy SIII won't charge higher than 60% when I use one of the HTC plugs, and the chargers that I have are seemingly starting to suck. I wanted to find a good, high wattage/voltage or whatever it is, to charge my phones fast, full, and without issue. Right now I have an EVO 4G LTE on Sprint, and it seems that so far the charger is doing a good job, but I want to think about the future. I'm getting the Samsung Note III in April some time. Anyway, what do you brainiacs know about the chargers, how they function, and what would be the best functional charger for my phones, and maybe a galaxy tab III. Thanks in advance.
I have a couple of these (they make black too). They work on my high wattage required devices that wont charge with everyday ones (one of which breaks low power chargers if you try to use them).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-2A-4-P...item58a1d8380d
Old 12-14-2013, 4:12 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0re10 View Post
I have a couple of these (they make black too). They work on my high wattage required devices that wont charge with everyday ones (one of which breaks low power chargers if you try to use them).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-2A-4-P...item58a1d8380d
I have a 2Amp charger that came with an S4 and it works fine on S3.
Charger must be 5volts unless you like destroying phones.

Read the data on the HTC charger. Ill bet its 5v at 1Amps. If so you should borrow a battery for your S3 and see if that or the charger is the prob.

Rhe Note 2 comes with a 2 amp charger. They are all interchangeable.
Old 12-14-2013, 5:00 PM

Mahotex,

Yes the pins can be shorted on the cable, or in the charger.

Basically the charger sees a USB device, instead of a ac charge device!
Old 12-14-2013, 5:20 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^ Learn something new every day.

Bombadillo,

Those 2A chargers on Amazon would do the trick. I saw some for less than $10 and they may be worth a try.

Last edited by MaHoTex; 12-14-2013 at 5:23 PM..
Old 12-15-2013, 3:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Do NOT let your battery deplete if it is a Lithium-ion.

THAT "WAS" for NiMh batteries.

If you charge your Lithium-ion battery every night, it will have a longer charge (than one that you let deplete) more than a year (sometimes two). The more you deplete it the quicker it will not last as long through the day...

I personally don't know about "Lithium-Polymer" batt-charging, which I think iPhones have, but I have overcharged some Solar-charging Lithium-polymer and the pouch was swelling.

Shorting pins is for iPhone users...
Old 12-15-2013, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I bought an external battery charger for a co workers phone because the
charge port is defective, I can't see that well to repair it and a new main
board is out of the price range. It's a Samsung Galaxy II. He's getting
another battery so he can charge both at the same time. I don't know
if this would be helpful or not in your situation.

Old 12-19-2013, 8:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg View Post
I bought an external battery charger for a co workers phone because the
charge port is defective, I can't see that well to repair it and a new main
board is out of the price range. It's a Samsung Galaxy II. He's getting
another battery so he can charge both at the same time. I don't know
if this would be helpful or not in your situation.

I actually tried this and it didn't work for me. I bought 2 batteries, had my oem battery, and BOTH chargers died in the first week. I am sending them back as we speak, and went on amazon and bought an HTC EVO 4G LTE instead. It was only $100 bucks and will hold me over till I get my Note 3.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 AM

The86d,

Lithium ion, polymer, iron, magnese, etc... Do not wear down from being depleted like nimh batteries do.

Lithium batteries are worn down from a large amperage draw sustained for more than a few seconds.

A lithium battery pulling beyond its capacity will be worn down very quickly. Usually measured in C. Which means a 2000mah battery providing 4 amps would be 2C, 2amps would be 1C so on and so forth.

Bad lithium batteries is always a symptom of bad charge controllers, don't leave your phone on the charger once it hits 100%, and drain it fully each time and you will get many years out of that battery.
Old 12-19-2013, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The86d,

Lithium ion, polymer, iron, magnese, etc... Do not wear down from being depleted like nimh batteries do.

Lithium batteries are worn down from a large amperage draw sustained for more than a few seconds.

A lithium battery pulling beyond its capacity will be worn down very quickly. Usually measured in C. Which means a 2000mah battery providing 4 amps would be 2C, 2amps would be 1C so on and so forth.

Bad lithium batteries is always a symptom of bad charge controllers, don't leave your phone on the charger once it hits 100%, and drain it fully each time and you will get many years out of that battery.
Uh-hmm: http://www.mpoweruk.com/lithium_failures.htm

Try this: https://www.google.com/#q=lithium+io...ge+overvoltage

Now protected Lithium Ion batteries shut themselves off at full-charge, and will not allow more charging due to a board attached to the batt (most of them these days).

Everyone I know that doesn't charge their phone nightly with Lithium Ion batteries usually get no more than a year of good charges on them... while those who charge them every night tend to get closer to 2 years of good charges.
(By good charges I mean lasts at least most of the day+ with moderate use. I have proven this in testing, while coworkers all had to replace LiIon batts after the 1st year.)

The warning to unplug your phone is a way to try to save energy, but the phone or the batt know when to stop charging, and do, or we would have more exploding batts than we currently hear about.

Last edited by the86d; 12-19-2013 at 7:58 AM..
Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Lithium batteries, regardless of type, should not be fully discharged. Ever. The safe was is to not go below 20%.

For car charging, here's an excellent choice:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the only dual output car charger I've found where BOTH outputs are 2 amps. All the others have one output 2 amps and the other at about 1 amp.
Old 12-19-2013, 8:11 AM

No device today will allow under voltage.

I am completely aware that dropping an individual cell below 2
.75 volts can cause it to explode...

But what you don't know sally, is you can slow bump a lipo up using its nominal voltage at .1 amp and continue to use it.

We do it all the time, the trick is using a nimh charger instead of a lipo charger..

But wait... I forgot first hand experience isn't worth anything on the internet. Jesus christ people get a life
Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No device today will allow under voltage.

I am completely aware that dropping an individual cell below 2
.75 volts can cause it to explode...

But what you don't know sally, is you can slow bump a lipo up using its nominal voltage at .1 amp and continue to use it.

We do it all the time, the trick is using a nimh charger instead of a lipo charger..

But wait... I forgot first hand experience isn't worth anything on the internet. Jesus christ people get a life
Try it and you will see that I am right, compared to this trick, even with Lithium Polymer it seems.

I just found this, and it seems to back me up:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

And another:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/07/ho...the-right-way/
This basically restates what I stated.
Quote:
Don't let your battery go dead or all the way down before charging [aka low-voltage cutoff]. Cell phone batteries prefer charges after only part of the battery life has been drained.
Yet again:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/89...ery-management

And again:
http://www.batteryfaq.net/battery-ne...-age-1229.html

Many have charts with pretty-colors... like your books with pretty-pictures have, to keep your attention, of course.

Last edited by the86d; 12-19-2013 at 3:11 PM..
Old 12-19-2013, 9:17 AM
top poster @ utahguns.net
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have to use a 2.0A charger for my Note 2 or it won't charge.

Watch out for those 2a chargers on Amazon. They are almost all fake.

Join the discussion at www.utahguns.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP911 View Post
sweet jesus, the subject matter experts are 97!
Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Old 12-19-2013, 1:59 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Go to electric supply place like Orvac and get some cheap 1.5 or better 2.1 amp ones.