Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-17-2013, 4:13 PM

Default Ammo for Small Bore Sil Match

Any suggestion for a small bore match shooting at medal targets at 40 to 100 yards. No Hypervelocity allowed.

I'm thinking Mini Mags?

I want an ammo that has least drop b/w 40 and 100 yards, but that is not hyper.
Old 09-17-2013, 7:41 PM

Yea. But what has least drop bw 50 and 100 yards.
Old 09-17-2013, 8:24 PM

Thanks. I already did. And it looked like mini mags would work. I was asking for some help too.
Old 09-17-2013, 9:04 PM

Drop should not matter if you have your dope figured out. Especially at known distances.
I would go with the most accurate ammo tested in the particular rifle you are shooting. If you haven't tested ammo in your. 22, you are handicapping yourself right out of the blocks. .22's are notoriously picky about ammo accuracy, even between two of the same rifles. Even different manufacturing lots of a particular brand/type may not perform the same out of the same rifle. New to. 22's???? Go have fun at the match, see what others are using, and ask questions!!! If you are not new, do the same. There's always someone more knowledgable than you.

"Slavery is the most profitable business in human history. This explains why your current overseers across the world want a GREAT RESET. ?You will own nothing' conversely means 'they will own everything, including you.? -Jason Powers
Old 09-17-2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtonhouse View Post
Drop should not matter if you have your dope figured out. Especially at known distances.
I would go with the most accurate ammo tested in the particular rifle you are shooting. If you haven't tested ammo in your. 22, you are handicapping yourself right out of the blocks. .22's are notoriously picky about ammo accuracy, even between two of the same rifles. Even different manufacturing lots of a particular brand/type may not perform the same out of the same rifle. New to. 22's???? Go have fun at the match, see what others are using, and ask questions!!! If you are not new, do the same. There's always someone more knowledgable than you.
Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear. Wasn't sure if I should use ammo that's most accurate in my rifle and adjust for drop. Or get ammo w less drop.
Old 09-17-2013, 9:41 PM

check this out for an example of a comprehensive ammo test in .22lr
http://www.accuratereloading.com/2009/bl50.html
when I bought my Savage MKII BV I used this as a foundation for my own testing. I didn't get as thorough, due to lack of funds to buy every kind/brand of ammo available. I stuck with the most popular high velocity brands/types and concentrated more on standard velocity (1050-1120) fps offerings from as many different manufacturers as I could find. I found that cost is a very big factor in accuracy, but the most expensive box I found (25.00/50) shot no better than 3.00/50 ammo. I found a good compromise of cost vs. accuracy for my planned use in three different varieties.
If you haven't already, I would encourage you to check out the monthly rimfire match here on Calguns. It's fun, go at your own pace, and you'll see a gamut of target offerings to hone your skills. It will honestly make you a better marksman , and there is an occaissional chance to win a t-shirt I can't bring myself to shoot the hostage target due to the fact that I would be pissed for hitting a hostage!!! A man's got to know his limitations....
http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-...mparison-test/

"Slavery is the most profitable business in human history. This explains why your current overseers across the world want a GREAT RESET. ?You will own nothing' conversely means 'they will own everything, including you.? -Jason Powers

Last edited by covingtonhouse; 09-17-2013 at 9:57 PM..
Old 09-17-2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtonhouse View Post
check this out for an example of a comprehensive ammo test in .22lr
http://www.accuratereloading.com/2009/bl50.html
Thank you!
Old 09-17-2013, 9:52 PM

Another good source of info is rimfirecentral.com

Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

A key factor here is you’re going to be shooting a SB silhouette match. Which means shooting offhand with no sling nor hard back coat to stabilize your gun. Forgot all that sub MOA bench rest or prone bipod stuff for this gig.

A lot of shooter’s front sight wobble under those conditions is worse than the bullet drop from the little chicken at 40 meters to the bigger ram at 100 meters. Steady gun hold technique will be very important in this match. You can practice this with reduced scale paper targets and dry firing in your garage or yard. Rare a shooter can hold steady as if prone, rather find a "consistent" wobble - circle, figure 8, up and down, side to side, then pick da point to pull da trigger.

Unless shooting with a mil dot or ballistic reticle scope to adjust for drop, you will need to know how many clicks to take on/off your rear sight or scope at the different distances. Most matches allow a lengthy "sight in" period at start to get this if you don't have it already. Add a cross wind and you'll need that dope too.
Old 09-18-2013, 3:23 PM

Thank you. I think we are allowed just factory sights on tub fed guns. No peep sights. Etc. Looking forward to how the goldenboy does!

I've go the gun sighted for 50 yards. For 100, I'm gonna aim about 10 inches higher with CCI SV. Or maybe 5 inches higher w/ Mini Mags.

Should be fun!
Old 09-18-2013, 3:23 PM

BTW. How big are the ram and chicken?
Old 09-18-2013, 5:55 PM

I saw the two mini mags. The drop bw the two for 50 to 100 yards is only .2 inch difference.
Old 09-18-2013, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

The chicken fits approximately inside a 3x2 inch rectangle, the pig 4 x 3, and the ram 6 x 4. So from bench rest it would be not much trouble to nail ‘em even with a so so gun and so so ammo.

I tried it with a scoped savage and a marlin 39 and got about 50% knock downs either way. A knock down counts catching the edge and miss by hair is still a miss so it’s an all or nothing scoring.

You’ll want to push up the rear sight a couple clicks for longer distances rather than aim high with your Henry. Figure it out during the sight in time. Good luck and good for you trying something new. Too many guys just shoot from the bench and think that’s the whole bag of chips.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:16 PM

Yea. I'm exited. Gonna sight in the gun Friday. Match is Saturday. And I'm taking my 9 year old daughter too. The person who runs the match said I can help her hold the gun.

If she loves it, I'm gonna get her the youth model of the Henry H001. And I've got an 11 year old daughter who loves shooting too!

My wife hasn't totally ruined them yet!

How do I adjust my Goldenboy site to shoot to the left? I did read the manual. I tried tapping the back site to the left, but it wouldn't move. Do I just need to hit it harder with hammer and wooden dowel?