Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-30-2012, 3:04 PM

Default CZ 75b SA or CZ P01

Alright here is my situation. I currently have the option to pick up two 75b SA or 75b SA and a P01 (all 9mm). What would you do?

My original plan was to get both SA models and keep one stock and send the other to CZcustoms for a full work over, but then I started to think if I would be better off just getting one of each model to expand my collection. Does someone out there have both? I would appreciate some feedback on pros and cons of the P01 compared to the SAO. I have a SP01 and a standard 75b but have never handled a compact model.

Primary use would be for the range. I know im probably being vague, but happy to provide more info to solicit input.

My two current CZ's
Old 08-30-2012, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Get 2 SA's!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 08-30-2012, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Are they both 9mm?
Quote:
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 3:16 PM

Whatever you go with, send it to Cajun Gun Works for the custom stuff... unless you're going crazy and getting into machine work and whatnot. Trigger/sear/hammer/springs send it to CGW.
Old 08-30-2012, 3:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

One of both, and a big +1 to CGW>

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 08-30-2012, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

Either way sounds like a good deal to me!!
Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Are they both 9mm?
Yes they are both 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
Whatever you go with, send it to Cajun Gun Works for the custom stuff... unless you're going crazy and getting into machine work and whatnot. Trigger/sear/hammer/springs send it to CGW.
I keep hearing about CGW, are they any cheaper? I figure shipping to Louisanna might be more expensive compared to Arizona where CZcustoms is. Also, can I get the same single action trigger and hammer installed that CZ customs carries as aftermarket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
One of both, and a big +1 to CGW>
Zfields I always appreciate your feedback considering you have much more experience with this platform then I. Im just wondering if I will end up regretting getting the P01. I have never been a huge fan of polymer compact guns, but maybe this being an alloy frame it might be different. Is the SP01 accuracy and the P01 comparable?

Last edited by SDRider858; 08-30-2012 at 3:33 PM..
Old 08-30-2012, 3:42 PM

Location: Chula Vista, San Diego, California, USA, North America

I have 2 75B SA's. Both 9mm. One is bone stock + factory rubber grips. The other was sent to CZCustom for a full work over.

If someone (CZ-USA) would come out with a P01 with the frame set up like a 75B SA (SAO with safety) it would be top of my to-buy list.
The question is not "How far?". The question is "Do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?". - Il Duce/Prisoner#6570534 from Boondock Saints
Old 08-30-2012, 3:50 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider858 View Post
Zfields I always appreciate your feedback considering you have much more experience with this platform then I. Im just wondering if I will end up regretting getting the P01. I have never been a huge fan of polymer compact guns, but maybe this being an alloy frame it might be different. Is the SP01 accuracy and the P01 comparable?
Don't mistake me posting a lot with knowledge : )

I don't own a p01, just no reason to for me personally, its not small enough for me to CCW, and I'd rather shoot a sp01 for competition. I can say just from handling and shooting a couple that they really don't feel like a poly gun, and are very comfortable guns.

As for CGW: You can either send the gun in, or buy the kit and do it yourself. Going the kit route is a VERY good way to learn your gun inside and out, and saves you a lot of money. Either way, David from CGW is a great person to talk to, and makes some *very* high quality parts for a very good price. The p01 is a bit of a PITA to work on due to the decocker, but its still manageable. The link in my sig line will cover disassembly and reassembly of it. The 75 SA out of the box is a GREAT gun, and unless you want a very light trigger, is GTG. Swapping over the hammer and to an adjustable sear just makes it even better.

Old 08-30-2012, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgalindez View Post
I have 2 75B SA's. Both 9mm. One is bone stock + factory rubber grips. The other was sent to CZCustom for a full work over.

If someone (CZ-USA) would come out with a P01 with the frame set up like a 75B SA (SAO with safety) it would be top of my to-buy list.
This is what I was thinking, two SA's, having a stock one to compare, especially if out of the box they are pretty darn good. Glad to see your from SD too

Quote:
Don't mistake me posting a lot with knowledge : )

I don't own a p01, just no reason to for me personally, its not small enough for me to CCW, and I'd rather shoot a sp01 for competition. I can say just from handling and shooting a couple that they really don't feel like a poly gun, and are very comfortable guns.

As for CGW: You can either send the gun in, or buy the kit and do it yourself. Going the kit route is a VERY good way to learn your gun inside and out, and saves you a lot of money. Either way, David from CGW is a great person to talk to, and makes some *very* high quality parts for a very good price. The p01 is a bit of a PITA to work on due to the decocker, but its still manageable. The link in my sig line will cover disassembly and reassembly of it. The 75 SA out of the box is a GREAT gun, and unless you want a very light trigger, is GTG. Swapping over the hammer and to an adjustable sear just makes it even better.
Thanks Zfields...still more knowledgable than I haha..

I think Ill try doing the CGW mods on my 75b, and if it works out well do the same for my SP01 too.

I still cant decide what I would like. Considering maybe picking up these two SAs since they arent always around, and picking up a P01 next chance I have. I seem to be changing my mind every 5 minutes.
Old 08-30-2012, 4:20 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

75B/75SA are easy compared to the decocker models.

Old 08-30-2012, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

i always liked the P01's!
✟ In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."✟
Old 08-30-2012, 4:41 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

Quote:
...Zfields I always appreciate your feedback considering you have much more experience with this platform then I. Im just wondering if I will end up regretting getting the P01. I have never been a huge fan of polymer compact guns, but maybe this being an alloy frame it might be different. Is the SP01 accuracy and the P01 comparable?
I'll say this. I have a SP-01 and a P-01. I love them both. But I must be missing something as ploy guns and alloy guns are as different as night and day.

The P-01 is a smaller, lighter version of the SP-01. If you'd like to have a lighter smaller version of the SP-01 then that makes sense (the P-01 just adds a de-cocker). The P-01 is very, very accurate. I prefer the P series weapons over the older 75 series guns since they are a more modern design built to CZ's newer standards and updated. I also prefer to have a light rail on weapons I may use for HD.

Hope this helps,

Triple

Last edited by TripleThreat; 08-30-2012 at 7:04 PM..
Old 08-30-2012, 5:15 PM

I was going back and forth between the P01 and the SA. I ended up going with the P01 because it felt better in my hand. Many thousands of rounds later I am still very happy with my decision.
Old 08-30-2012, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

Op- if your ever in Los Angeles hit me up, you can shoot my
P01 if your ever up here!!
Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 6:07 PM
Banned

P-01 all the way. Its a tad smaller but just as accurate as the full size 75b's.
But, eather way your golden.

Why buy a glock, drive a Honda, and drink budlight when you can buy a cz, drive a Subaru and drink heineken?

Last edited by willerfortheworld; 08-30-2012 at 6:13 PM..
Old 08-30-2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
But I must be missing something as ploy guns and alloy guns are as different as night and day.
Hope this helps,
Triple
Thanks Triple, it actually did help. I re-read what I wrote and I apologize for even putting the two in the same category as they are very different. The Alloy seems to be a good compromise between steel/polymer. But again, I wish I could see one in person.

Question for P01 owners, does your pinky/ring finger(s) hang off the grip? Or are you able to still grip with all fingers? Im assuming its the former.
Old 08-30-2012, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

I have pretty big hands and I dot have an issue with it, unless I think about it lol. If I just draw and shoot it fits like a glove lol. No issues whatsoever.
Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
75B/75SA are easy compared to the decocker models.
Looking at the potential savings has me thinking seriously about doing most if not all the work myself. Im confident working with my hands. Ill be sure to refer to some of your videos before even attempting. Ill let you know how it works out, fingers crossed.

Quote:
Op- if your ever in Los Angeles hit me up, you can shoot my
P01 if your ever up here!!
And this is why the gun community is bad ***. Euphoria the same goes for you, if your ever in SD and I can return the favor let me know. Ill probably just end up buying one because Im a proud CZ whore (whore = 10x fanboy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willerfortheworld View Post
Why buy a glock, drive a Honda, and drink budlight when you can buy a cz, drive a Subaru and drink heineken?
This still has me sratching my head..not sure what you mean but I dig it...Cheers!
Old 08-30-2012, 6:56 PM
Veteran Member

Same I'm a CZ whore as well. I want an sp01.
You won't regret the p01, it's an awesome little compact. Shot a small target at about 50 yds away at the rifle range. Plunked that sucker haha
Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 6:59 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

Quote:
...Question for P01 owners, does your pinky/ring finger(s) hang off the grip? Or are you able to still grip with all fingers? Im assuming its the former.
The P-01 is bigger than a small frame Glock by about 1/2" in length and the handgrip is just under 1" taller. So if you've held a baby Glock it's pretty much right between a small Glock and a full size Glock and as such, just about anyone could grip it with their entire hand.

Triple

Last edited by TripleThreat; 08-30-2012 at 7:20 PM..
Old 08-30-2012, 7:03 PM

two 75 SAs, because that's what I did this week!

And definitely recommend either CGW or CZ Custom. I have guns from both, and can't go wrong with either.

David from CGW is AWESOME. I stop by his shop in West Monroe, LA about once a week to either drop my own pistols off or a friend's, and it's always good times talking to David. His race hammers and his new sights are freaking beautiful.

my YouTube shooting channel

Old 08-30-2012, 7:09 PM
Banned

Any fellow Cz lover is a friend of mine SD. Same go's with me, I have a range about one min from my house. If your ever near Fresno around highway 99 let me know and you can shoot my p-01. Lmk
Old 08-31-2012, 7:40 AM

Quote:
The P-01 is bigger than a small frame Glock by about 1/2" in length and the handgrip is just under 1" taller. So if you've held a baby Glock it's pretty much right between a small Glock and a full size Glock and as such, just about anyone could grip it with their entire hand.

Triple
Thanks for the great info. This has me feeling better about going with a P01. I have an XDm compact and without pearce grip extensions my pinky dangles off, hate that.

[QUOTE=daybreak;9236114]two 75 SAs, because that's what I did this week!

And definitely recommend either CGW or CZ Custom. I have guns from both, and can't go wrong with either.
QUOTE]

Didnt you just get two shadows?? Jealous for sure!

Quote:
Any fellow Cz lover is a friend of mine SD. Same go's with me, I have a range about one min from my house. If your ever near Fresno around highway 99 let me know and you can shoot my p-01. Lmk
Thanks! I feel the CZ love in the air haha......appreciate the offer very much.

Alright so my dreams of having a modded CZcustoms SA is out of the question, at least for now. I was just informed by the shop that they will not modify the trigger system prior to shipping. Strange, because I have read of cases where this wasnt true, but has anyone else been denied modifications? Stuart said I would need to re ship back to them to have most of the work done, all they were willing to change were the sights. I was trying to save on shipping and that was the entire reason of buying one through them..Ah well, their shop, their rules.

But that makes the choice pretty easy for me. Since Ill have to either ship or do the work myself on my current SA, I think its probably best just to get the P01 and expand my CZ collection...or should I get a 97b!!! mmmm hahaha

Thanks again all for the input.
Old 08-31-2012, 7:41 AM

Quote:

Triple
Thanks for the great info. This has me feeling better about going with a P01. I have an XDm compact and without pearce grip extensions my pinky dangles off, hate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
two 75 SAs, because that's what I did this week!

Didnt you just get two shadows?? Jealous for sure!

Quote:
Thanks! I feel the CZ love in the air haha......appreciate the offer very much.

Alright so my dreams of having a modded CZcustoms SA is out of the question, at least for now. I was just informed by the shop that they will not modify the trigger system prior to shipping. Strange, because I have read of cases where this wasnt true, but has anyone else been denied modifications in CA? Stuart said I would need to re ship back to them to have most of the work done, all they were willing to change were the sights. I was trying to save on shipping and that was the entire reason of buying one through them..Ah well, their shop, their rules.

But that makes the choice pretty easy for me. Since Ill have to either ship or do the work myself on my current SA, I think its probably best just to get the P01 and expand my CZ collection...or should I get a 97b!!! mmmm hahaha

Old 08-31-2012, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

I'd say get a p01 over a 97b
Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 AM

Are the sights on the P01 the same as the SP01 standard model with tru-dot glow sights? Or are they like the standard 75b?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Alright so my dreams of having a modded CZcustoms SA is out of the question, at least for now. I was just informed by the shop that they will not modify the trigger system prior to shipping. Strange, because I have read of cases where this wasnt true, but has anyone else been denied modifications in CA? Stuart said I would need to re ship back to them to have most of the work done, all they were willing to change were the sights. I was trying to save on shipping and that was the entire reason of buying one through them..Ah well, their shop, their rules.

If you have a 75B SA already and still want another one, consider this:

It's my understanding that CZCustoms won't (and shouldn't) do any major modifications to the gun because it would no longer be in a CA-roster approved configuration.

What you could do is order the new SA and keep it as the "bone-stock" configuration. You still get the joy of breaking in a new firearm.

You then ship out your currently owned SA via Gussler's. My first SA had +10k rounds through it by then so it deserved a makeover. I just dug up my invoice of when I shipped mine out...transfer and shipping + insurance came out to under $60.
The question is not "How far?". The question is "Do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?". - Il Duce/Prisoner#6570534 from Boondock Saints
Old 08-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:

It's my understanding that CZCustoms won't (and shouldn't) do any major modifications to the gun because it would no longer be in a CA-roster approved configuration.

What you could do is order the new SA and keep it as the "bone-stock" configuration. You still get the joy of breaking in a new firearm.

You then ship out your currently owned SA via Gussler's. My first SA had +10k rounds through it by then so it deserved a makeover. I just dug up my invoice of when I shipped mine out...transfer and shipping + insurance came out to under $60.
Which barrel did you have installed?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Which barrel did you have installed?
Just another factory standard length barrel. I considered one of the 6" extended barrels but it wasn't in stock at the time.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Just another factory standard length barrel. I considered one of the 6" extended barrels but it wasn't in stock at the time.
Ahh gotcha. I'd like to pick up a extended threaded for a sp01 one of these days

Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Ahh gotcha. I'd like to pick up a extended threaded for a sp01 one of these days

Suppressed SP01? That would be fun! All that weight should suck up the recoil.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Suppressed SP01? That would be fun! All that weight should suck up the recoil.
Wonder if I can find one that would work with a 357 lever gun...that would be interesting.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Are the sights on the P01 the same as the SP01 standard model with tru-dot glow sights? Or are they like the standard 75b?

the sights on my P01 are not night sights as they are on the SP01. They have a green paint dot instead of tritium glow in the dark.

If you only use it for the range, the SA is a better choice. The P01 is a compact and as such shoots with more recoil. While not unmanageable, it's more tiring and feels different than a full size steel CZ. The decock lever is where my thumb wants to be also.

Another suggestion for you is go up to the competition models instead of 2 regular production model. I tried one with a 2.5 lb trigger and it's awesome.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Wonder if I can find one that would work with a 357 lever gun...that would be interesting.
I just had a weird mental visualization:

Will Hayden: We gotta soo-press this here levah akshun .357 for a guy...

Rich Wyatt: Then we're gonna replace the receiver with one made of titanium and have some engraving done by my son Kurt...

Will Hayden: And this gamechanger of a rifle can be had...

Rich Wyatt: For around...$10k.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
IIRC, they are the same.
If you do get the p01, please let me know, I really want to try one, I would take you shooting, ill take care of the entry fees at DGM
Also, I just dros'ed a RAMI 2075, will take possesion next thursday.
(In case you want to try another CZ)
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I just had a weird mental visualization:

Will Hayden: We gotta soo-press this here levah akshun .357 for a guy...

Rich Wyatt: Then we're gonna replace the receiver with one made of titanium and have some engraving done by my son Kurt...

Will Hayden: And this gamechanger of a rifle can be had...

Rich Wyatt: For around...$10k.
Don't even joke around like that. Ruining the beautiful picture in my mind.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillermoAntonio View Post
IIRC, they are the same.
If you do get the p01, please let me know, I really want to try one, I would take you shooting, ill take care of the entry fees at DGM
Also, I just dros'ed a RAMI 2075, will take possesion next thursday.
(In case you want to try another CZ)
Bastard. Post some pictures of the grip comparison with the sp01 will ya?

Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 AM

Oh yeah and I do own an SP-01 Shadow that you can try as well.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Is this true only for guns you buy from them and get customized before they sell it to you OR is it true for guns you SEND to them that you already own.

I thought that once a CA resident owns a gun, you can mail it to any gunsmith and that gunsmith can mail it back directly to you? (might be FUD) and that FFL was only required when ownership changed hands?

Maybe try David at CGW, I wouldn't hesitate sending him a gun if he could send it back to me without an FFL involved.