Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Default The Old Way of Life and Survival...Great Survival Books

Well I just finished reading a couple books by Tom Brown Jr not sure if you guys had heard of him before.

Anyways I know alot of us here are preppers and have all the neat tacticool, practical tools you can think of to survive a paticular situation. Well his books go into great detail about how Tom believes that taking anything more than a knife into the woods by himself will slow him down. His ideas are far from how i have been prepping,, and although i wouldnt even rank close to his skills in a survival situation the stories and skills in which he talks about in his books are wild.So If you havent heard of him or read any of his books i would highly recommend you take a step back from all the hype there is in needing piles and piles of gear to survive. And take a minute to see how a true survivalist operates. Take a look at any of his books they all are great i am currently waiting for "The Journey" to show up from UPS. In which he explains how he survived in the wilderness for a year by himself.He also has a few wilderness survival guides that ive read that i keep handy in my truck.
Anyways ill stop ranting about his books...hope it helps everyone here start thinking about other ways of survival instead of the mainstream typical mindset that you need piles of gear to live any the outdoors.

Let me know if anyone here has read any of his books or what you thought of his books?

Heres a random link i found with some better description as to which books might intrest you more
http://www.survival.org.au/tom_brown_books.php

"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws."

Last edited by dezertracer18; 10-12-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 10:08 PM

My problem with most survival kits is that people are unlikely to have them when they need them (break down, airplane crash, etc.). In fact, the more useful an item is, it seems the less likely one will be carrying it. So I'm more interested in EDC kits.
Old 10-13-2012, 6:25 AM

There are a couple of ways to look at things as far as survival goes there is the natural disaster couple of days to couple of weeks were food prepping is all that is needed.

The stranded by accident were all you have is your wits and what you have on you. ( see survivor man for info)

The SHTF or end of world were gun food prepping is good or the BOB prepping depending on your location ( see survivor man for more details for long term)

remmber food and guns only last so long you need to know your areas climate wild food etc. for LONG TERM survival and remmber game will be gone quickly.
Old 10-13-2012, 4:10 PM

Default forum

isnt there- or was a forum for preppers called Zombie prepers or something like that? i googled it and cant find it. im guessing i forgot the name.

thanks
Chris