Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-11-2018, 7:26 PM

Default Glock 45 duty carry

I was wondering if anyone has come across a glock 45. I mean the model and not the caliber. Has anyone considered it as a duty weapon? Glock advertises it as duty tailored pistol. I am hopeful I will receive a conditional offer soon and my mind is just going insane thinking about the many duty carry posibbilites.

I am not even sure that there are any holsters for this model yet. I am excited to shoot one since YouTube seems to have great reviews.
Old 10-11-2018, 7:39 PM

If your hoping for a conditional offer from a department, what is the department issued firearm?

Are officers issued firearms and then can choose their own off a list.

Are you an officer or are you hoping to become one?

Some departments require you to complete FTO before you get chose your choice of gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 8:08 PM

The department will issue you a firearm at the academy as long as you are sponsored by them. 90% of agencies will issue you a Glock 17 or 22. My department does not even allow carry of a 9mm on duty. I would say focus on getting hired, then passing the academy, then passing FTO, then passing probation first. Once you pass probation review your departments policy and see which make and model/caliber your department allows.

To answer your question now, I’ve shot the 19x which is essentially the same pistol and I was not impressed. I absolutely love the Glock 19 due to the size. In my opinion if you are going to add length to the grip, why not add length to the slide for better sight radius (Glock 17.) The Glock 45/19x adds zero benefit to already great firearms 17/19.
Old 10-11-2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue187 View Post
If your hoping for a conditional offer from a department, what is the department issued firearm?

Are officers issued firearms and then can choose their own off a list.

Are you an officer or are you hoping to become one?

Some departments require you to complete FTO before you get chose your choice of gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure on what their issue duty weapon is. I have spoken to quite a few deputies from the sheriff's office I am applying with about what they carry. I have seen Glock, m&p, Sig Sauer, and Springfield.

Deputies are allowed to choose from only those choices listed above as long as it is the acceptable size for duty carry. The only exception to size of pistol is if you are working in a plain clothes capacity.

The position I applied for is a trainee position. I am hoping to earn a position and serve the community.

The most recent policy I read was that deputies were issued S&W 4009 or some variant. Safe to say that was an outdated policy floating around on google. I don't want to seem over eager to the sheriff's office about a duty weapon, so I haven't asked. Figured I'd ask here to start conversation.
Old 10-11-2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Donut View Post
The department will issue you a firearm at the academy as long as you are sponsored by them. 90% of agencies will issue you a Glock 17 or 22. My department does not even allow carry of a 9mm on duty. I would say focus on getting hired, then passing the academy, then passing FTO, then passing probation first. Once you pass probation review your departments policy and see which make and model/caliber your department allows.

To answer your question now, Iíve shot the 19x which is essentially the same pistol and I was not impressed. I absolutely love the Glock 19 due to the size. In my opinion if you are going to add length to the grip, why not add length to the slide for better sight radius (Glock 17.) The Glock 45/19x adds zero benefit to already great firearms 17/19.
Thank you for the advice. Getting hired is at the top of my list. I am just so excited that I have been doing as much research as possible on all things duty carry. Handcuffs, flashlights, baton, belts and holsters (what lead me to glock45). I am guilty of being so excited that all I do is read up on this stuff. I know most of this stuff is outlined on the policy and provided by the agency. I just cant help it Do you guys remember being so excited you wanted to know about all the gear?
Old 10-11-2018, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

What agency? I'm sure someone can give you an idea on issue.
Old 10-11-2018, 9:28 PM

Is it much different than Glock 19X?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:38 AM

It’s a black 19X with front serrations and a Gen5 flaired mag well but without the front cutout. If you like Glocks, and especially Gen5 Glocks, it shoots like a dream. It should fit in any holster that’s compatible with a Gen5 G19. If one were into pistol mounted optics and dept policy allowed, they could buy a G45 and a Gen5 19MOS and switch the slides to have (basically) a G45MOS... and that’s some tactical hipster stuff right there.
Old 10-12-2018, 5:05 AM

Iím with atomic donut on this one, but that being said Iíll let you know in 7 days when I pick mine up. The magwell concerns me for ccw, and for duty carry I donít see why you would sacrifice the slide/barrel length.

One guy I teach academy firearms with swears it clears the holster faster and handles better. I just donít see it, but I figured Iíd buy one and screw around with it and make my own conclusions.
Old 10-12-2018, 5:06 AM

I just got done taking the glock operator course hosted by Glendale PD. The instructor had a G45 on his hip and he seemed to shoot very well with it. I took my G17 Gen 5, 19X and a G34 Gen 4. Out of the three I shot the best with the G17 Gen 5. That is what I shot the standards course of fire and overall did well. Great course by the way, recommend for any LEO that carries or wishes to transition to a Glock weapon. I have a G45 sitting in 10 day jail as we speak. To the OP, just to piggy back on what everyone is saying, chill out, focus on getting on first, passing the academy, FTO and probation, before going all crazy on gear and guns lol.
Old 10-12-2018, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis650ar15 View Post
Thank you for the advice. Getting hired is at the top of my list. I am just so excited that I have been doing as much research as possible on all things duty carry. Handcuffs, flashlights, baton, belts and holsters (what lead me to glock45). I am guilty of being so excited that all I do is read up on this stuff. I know most of this stuff is outlined on the policy and provided by the agency. I just cant help it Do you guys remember being so excited you wanted to know about all the gear?
Sorry..

I've never been that excited about the gear.. Excited yes.. To get hired.

You have to remember most departments issue the equipment you carry to include firearms. Some of the smaller departments will allow some leeway in choosing what firearm to carry but it's usually off a list they will provide you.

As for the gear, you can supplement what the department issues but you may not want to use your own. Just imagine you have a set of super light titanium handcuffs and you arrest some mental patient that takes a crap on your cuffs and smears it all over. Are you going to handle those cuffs to clean or if they chew thru them. Who are you going to go after to replace them? Stick to department issue and you'll be okay.

When you lose your super bright flashlight that you spent your own money on who are you turning to replace it? Most departments issue good gear nowadays.

Calm down and get hired first.
Old 10-12-2018, 8:02 AM

Got it. Thanks for the input. My excitement is about being hired not just gear. Didn't mean to come of as an "eager beaver", this is just what I have been working so hard for. I will concentrate on getting to the academy and passing fto. This was meant to be a discussion about the glock 45 and what the impressions were. I do appreciate the advice and I always try to apply the wisdom from the Calgun gurus. Thanks again guys
Old 10-12-2018, 10:12 PM

The G45 is a pointless pistol. There are ZERO benefits of a G45 or G19X over a G17 in a duty pistol situation unless you're 5 feet tall and can't stand the .47" of extra holster digging into a car seat. If you plan on using a pistol light forget it. There is no benefit of the 19 over a 17 because a pistol light protrudes past the end of the muzzle making the overall length of the holster that touches the seat, the same length as a 17. I am a firm believer that you should carry the biggest pistol you can tolerate on duty and the biggest pistol you can tolerate off duty. Might as well get G34 since it's almost flush with the pistol light. The longer sight radius and mass does make a noticeable difference on the range.

If you're someone who has a G19 and has to have the extra 2 rounds, then save your money, don't buy those two other pistols and put a 17 round mag in your gun. It will be the same grip length as a G45 or 19X except you can put a 15 round mag in it and make it conceal better if you like.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56 View Post
Might as well get G34 since it's almost flush with the pistol light. The longer sight radius and mass does make a noticeable difference on the range.

I carry a G35 for this reason. I have a weapon mounted light and the Safariland Duty holster is the same length for a G22 with light or G35 with light. I'll take the longer sight radius, barrel length, etc. Also, not that it is a big deal, but if you shoot a bunch of rounds through a G17/22 with your light mounted, you will end up with a bunch of soot on the lens of your light. This doesn't happen on a G34/35. Wouldn't really matter for duty use, but happens during training.

At the end of the day, try shooting as many models as you can and just buy/carry what you shoot best. The person who can put rounds on target the fastest will usually win, so focus on that. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2018, 2:48 PM

+1 for the 45 being overrated. Is it a good gun? Of course. But I just don't see the benefit over the glock 17 for duty use. The more you train with any weapon, the more proficient you will be with it. Focus on training and not so much small tacticool differences between guns.
Old 10-13-2018, 3:04 PM

I guess its all in what you like. My buddy has carried a G19 for years as a motor. He just bought a G45 and likes it so much he is switching out to make it his duty gun.
Old 10-13-2018, 5:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FWIW you should know what your department issued duty weapons are and get one off that list and become really good with it!

I carry a gen 5 G17 off duty and love it. I also own and like the 19x...but neither is my department's issue G21.

CGF Contributor
NRA, CRPA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 10-14-2018, 6:26 AM

I carry a gen 5 34 at the moment, and I've shot a 19x extensively. The balance, pointability, ability to quickly index and clear your holster with the 19x was pretty awesome. I'm considering making the switch, but I need some comparative trigger time before I decide.
Old 10-15-2018, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

Just bailed the g45 out of jail an hour ago. The trigger is amazing.

Old 10-15-2018, 5:15 PM

^^ I must say that it looks awesome!!

There is some great insight on this thread about what some of you guys think about it. Some love it and swear it's better while others think it's pointless. Just like everything, I guess it is subject to everyones preference
Old 10-15-2018, 11:00 PM

Last thing you need to worry about it the departments issued weapons. Worry about your codes, field training and report writing. Look up their Firearms policy. They should outline issued firearms and options upon approval from your weapon unit.

We are issued Glock 22 and have the option for the Glock 23, 27 and 43 with prior approval from our weapon unit. I have the Glock 43 as a back up.
Old 10-17-2018, 6:22 AM

I’m going to begin carrying the 45 on duty starting tomorrow. I put Trijicon HD sights on and am waiting on my heinie straight eights for the rear. It’s just like any other gun out there, it serves its purpose. If you live in open country and you have a county area go with the 17 or 34 for longer shots. I hit dead on with my 17 at 25 yds, but with the 45 I’m a lot less accurate at that distance.

It does shoot far different than my 17. Front sight follow through is much easier and front sight picture just seems to be sharper during follow up shots. In addition, stand off distance with my surefire light is great. You could punch the gun into someone who is rushing you or surprised you and it would still operate. We’ve seen this on numerous occasions from recent OIS so it’s an important consideration.

Also, although you lose the above you can put the TLR-7 on there and once a holster gets made the holster will clear the center console. It’s just like any other gun, it has it’s uses. On the patrol level I think Glock struck gold with this gun. It hits all of my check boxes and only has one small downside with the long distance accuracy. But that’s why you have slugs and rifles.
Old 10-17-2018, 6:57 AM
👀Theyíre Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

I’d take a Sig P320 X-carry over a G45 all day

Tac-Tags.com
Old 10-17-2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg90 View Post
In addition, stand off distance with my surefire light is great. You could punch the gun into someone who is rushing you or surprised you and it would still operate. Weíve seen this on numerous occasions from recent OIS so itís an important consideration.
This happened to my friend in his early years (early 1990's) at LAPD. Bad guy tried to shoot him with a 1911 (got off two shots) at kissing distance. My friend held on to the slide with a death grip on the 2nd shot, while pulling his Beretta 92. Made front barrel contact with the BG and heard "click, click". Couldn't figure out was going on, then backed up just a little and that Beretta worked 9 times in a row very quickly. Good guy goes home, bad guy goes to the morgue. Good result.

At a much later date, our instructors had us train one time for close contact shots. I couldn't figure out why my previously 100% reliable Glock 35 was now a single shot. Instructor pointed out that the back of my slide was hitting my exterior vest and not fully cycling. From there, learned to cant the gun slightly so the slide doesn't hit you in the belly.
Old 10-18-2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis650ar15 View Post
I am hopeful I will receive a conditional offer soon and my mind is just going insane thinking about the many duty carry posibbilites.

I am not even sure that there are any holsters for this model yet. I am excited.
I would suggest putting off on gun stuff and taking an active role in memorizing your agencies Creed, mission statement and chain of command. Those three things will make getting to the parts of the academy where you hold a gun, much easier. I also suggest once you get in, getting good at the issued duty gun whether Glock or m&p. Once you have a level of skill and muscle memory you could get a smaller version of said gun for carry, or a better one like the Glock 45 or m&p 2.0 when the time comes.

If you become a deputy, it is highly likely you will spend your first 2 years working in a facility that doesn't allow guns inside. So get good at one family of guns, rather than learning a bunch of guns and letting all those skills die. Deep knowledge vs broad knowledge.
Old 10-25-2018, 5:26 AM

I take it you're talking about RSO because they don't issue you a semi-auto, the "issue" weapon is a revolver which no one uses.

To answer your question, yes one of my co-workers carries the G45. I don't think it's a good patrol weapon however. I'd rather have the longer barrel.
Old 10-25-2018, 8:25 AM

So just an update, I’ve been carrying the G45 for 2 weeks and will be switching back to my 17. Until Safriland comes out with a holster designed to take advantage of the shorter slide, I just don’t see a point. I will say that because I carry appendix off-duty it’s perfect. The new 17 MOS will be my next purchase after my department approves the MRDS for patrol. I think Glock came up with the perfect court/patrol/off-duty gun but not the perfect patrol specific gun. Every tool has its mission.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoSD View Post
Iím with atomic donut on this one, but that being said Iíll let you know in 7 days when I pick mine up. The magwell concerns me for ccw, and for duty carry I donít see why you would sacrifice the slide/barrel length. .
I donít know about the G45ís flared mag well, but the Gen5 G19ís flared mag well is a non issue for me when carrying concealed. You donít notice it at all.

I also agree with your statement about sacrificing slide/barrel length. I love and prefer a longer sight radius on a duty weapon. But thatís just me.

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Trumpís SCOTUS: 2 / Dems: 0
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-27-2018, 1:48 PM

^^^ I'm with you, TPT. And now that the Gen 5 G34 has an enclosed slide up front, I ditched the Gen 4 G34. The extra weight up front is negligible, and it shoots well with the enhancements.
Old 10-30-2018, 6:12 PM

Did some chrono work today. The velocities shown at zero are averages of a 5 shot group.

For me, solidifies the G 45 is a “fad” gun that doesn’t need to exist.

It sucks for CCW, and as a duty gun sacrifices ballistics for no real benefit. 22 ft/lbs for the Hornady, and 45 ft/lbs for Federal.

I’m all in if people like the G45 or 19x because they’re different, or brown, or whatever. That’s all good, and at least you’re honest. For cop work, doesn’t make sense to me.