Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 05-05-2020, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Default What's the best non-resident CCW permits to get?

It's been a while since I've looked at the non-resident permits for Utah & Florida. Are those still the best to get? I've got my CA CCW, but I've been looking at getting a non-resident permit so I can carry outside of CA.

Also, anyone have any suggestions on places to take the classes in in the Tracy/Livermore area would be appreciated. Thanks.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:41 AM

AZ... super easy to obtain. If you've already got your CA CCW, no class needed (correct me if I'm wrong), you'll just need to fill out their app, do a livescan and send a copy of your current CCW permit along with the paperwork and certain amount of $$$ (forgot how much). within 2-3 weeks you should receive your permit in the mail. Somewhere along those lines....
Old 05-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slixx1320 View Post
AZ... super easy to obtain. If you've already got your CA CCW, no class needed (correct me if I'm wrong), you'll just need to fill out their app, do a livescan and send a copy of your current CCW permit along with the paperwork and certain amount of $$$ (forgot how much). within 2-3 weeks you should receive your permit in the mail. Somewhere along those lines....
This. UT would be next. FL is good but need prints done from LEO.

VA is easier but equivalent to AZ, so easier to get AZ as the turnaround is faster.

iTrader
Old 05-05-2020, 12:11 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slixx1320 View Post
What he said.

Went to AZ DPS CCW website and requested an AZ CCW application packet.
AZ DPS mailed me their CCW application and fingerprint cards, for free.
Getting fingerprint cards done cost me $20, AZ application fee is $60.00, and mailed my application packet for around $1.50.

Mailed my AZ CCW application on 12-31-2018.
Recieved my AZ CCW permit on 01-09-2019.
AZ approval letter indicates it was approved on 01-05-2019 and mailed on 01-07-2019.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 05-05-2020 at 12:18 PM..
Old 05-05-2020, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
What he said.

Getting fingerprint cards done cost me $20, AZ application fee is $60.00, and mailed my application packet for around $1.50.

AZ approval letter indicates it was approved on 01-05-2019 and mailed on 01-07-2019.
My turn around for AZ was similar, about a week from the date I put the completed application package and check into the mail.

AZ gets you a lot, but not all, of the country.

Check the reciprocity maps to get an idea of which states are covered by a particular permit, but of course, check the specific state requriements before you carry where you may be unfamiliar with state and local laws and customs. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...ciprocity_map/

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 05-08-2020 at 3:27 PM..
Old 05-05-2020, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks guys. From the reciprocity map, it looks like AZ will get me the bulk of the states I plan to travel to/through. I emailed the AZ DPS and they responded pretty quick. My packet is on its way and they did say if I have a permit, just scan it and send it in in lieu of having to take another training class.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 05-08-2020, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
Thanks guys. From the reciprocity map, it looks like AZ will get me the bulk of the states I plan to travel to/through. I emailed the AZ DPS and they responded pretty quick. My packet is on its way and they did say if I have a permit, just scan it and send it in in lieu of having to take another training class.
Assuming you are a good guy, you will have your permit soon, even with COVID. Update the list when it comes.

Then carry on and carry safe.
Old 05-08-2020, 4:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There is no "best" permit. The non-resident permits that will give you the widest national coverage are Utah, Arizona, and Florida. All three can be obtained by mail. There is some overlap in coverage, however, reciprocity and recognition laws change often. I have eight permits in total and I can carry in thirty-nine states. Well worth it IMO!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!

Last edited by Big Jake; 11-18-2020 at 5:40 AM..
Old 05-08-2020, 4:41 PM

If you want Washington state, get Utah.
Old 06-03-2020, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
There is no "best" permit. The non-resident permits that will give you the best national coverage are Utah Arizona, and Florida. All three can be obtained by mail. There is some overlap in coverage, however, reciprocity and recognition laws change often. I have eight permits in total and I can carry in thirty-nine states. Well worth it IMO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHobo View Post
If you want Washington state, get Utah.
I just read the UT requirements. It seems to me that there needs to be reciprocity to get the UT non-resident permit
Quote:
If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit
. Am I reading it wrong? Did they change?

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firea...irearm-permit/
Old 06-03-2020, 9:53 AM
Calguns Addict

CA doesn’t recognize any other state permits. UT has this condition for states that do recognize UT so it prevents non-residents from using UT instead of their home state’s permit.

For CA resident, you can apply without needing a CA CCW.

I have UT permit. Takes about 60 days.

iTrader
Old 06-03-2020, 10:10 AM

Note that Florida accepts CCW permits from something like 33 other states, but only if they are resident permits. If you want to CC in Florida, get a Florida permit (and yes, Florida issues non-residential permits).
Old 06-08-2020, 12:06 AM

Traveling cross-country from Maryland to California. I am a California resident, and a permit holder. This is great information - thanks to all!

Looks like I need to get permitted in Arizona if I want to carry on my trip.
Old 06-08-2020, 5:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzador49 View Post
Traveling cross-country from Maryland to California. I am a California resident, and a permit holder. This is great information - thanks to all!

Looks like I need to get permitted in Arizona if I want to carry on my trip.
Check the reciprocity map. California CCW is recognized by many states. Depending on the route you drive on your trip you may be covered in some of the states.

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

Old 06-14-2020, 6:56 PM

Thanks - I did - and I needed the ability to carry in some states I was passing through that did not recognize CA CCW. AZ fills the gaps very well. But it looks like Illinois and Minnesota are in worlds of their own. Go figure!
Old 06-14-2020, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
What he said.

Regular Live Scan service does this?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2020, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911.45_4Me View Post
Regular Live Scan service does this?

Thanks
Yes some do. Call ahead to make sure.

iTrader
Old 08-28-2020, 7:27 AM

Does Texas have reciprocation with AZ? I’d like to be able to carry in Texas when I’m there.
Old 08-28-2020, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawateam View Post
Does Texas have reciprocation with AZ? I’d like to be able to carry in Texas when I’m there.
Google CCW reciprocation maps. There are a few and compare them as laws can change. Take care to note if possible if resident or non-resident permit matters.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 08-28-2020, 7:58 AM

“ Big Jake
There is no "best" permit. The non-resident permits that will give you the best national coverage are Utah Arizona, and Florida. All three can be obtained by mail. There is some overlap in coverage, however, reciprocity and recognition laws change often. I have eight permits in total and I can carry in thirty-nine states.“

Great info.

Florida has reciprocity with many other states, but I think it won’t accept a non-resident permit from another state.
Old 08-28-2020, 5:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGoodfellow View Post
“ Big Jake
There is no "best" permit. The non-resident permits that will give you the best national coverage are Utah Arizona, and Florida. All three can be obtained by mail. There is some overlap in coverage, however, reciprocity and recognition laws change often. I have eight permits in total and I can carry in thirty-nine states.“

Great info.

Florida has reciprocity with many other states, but I think it won’t accept a non-resident permit from another state.
Florida issues non-resident permits, however they do not recognize non-resident permits from any other states nor do they recognize California CCWs. If you are a California resident and you want to carry in Florida the only way you can do so is to obtain a Florida non-resident permit. I have one and I have carried in Florida on quite a few occasions. I even had a friendly interaction with a Florida LEO when I was pulled over in the rental car I was driving. It turned out that someone had stolen the rear licence plates off the rental car at some point. I did not even know the rear plate was missing until I was stopped. The LEO was great. Very professional and could have cared less that I was carrying. He did run my DL and CCW to make sure everything was legit, however, other than that it was not an issue. He told me to take the car to the nearest rental office for Enterprise and even gave me directions on how to get there. Very gun friendly state for legit citizens carrying!