Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > On Target Range
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

On Target Range Hosted by http://www.ontargetrange.com/

Old 02-10-2011, 3:18 AM

Default Handgun under 21

Hey guys,

Just read the rules for the range and I'm seeing I have to be 21 to shoot a handgun. I understand state law says I have to be 21 to purchase, but what if I am in legal possession of a handgun that has been transferred to me from my father? Would I still be barred from firing said handgun at your range?

Any input would be nice, thanks!
Old 02-10-2011, 3:40 AM

Under 21, you may not buy liquor or hand gun; however, you can still shoot at any shooting range but you must be with an adult over 21.

What's next @11/2024?
Old 02-10-2011, 4:29 AM

That is what most shooting ranges claim and enforce.

Unless I'm not finding it or something, there is no law that disallows an 18-20 year old with legally possessed handgun and ammo from shooting at a range.

Assuming there are no laws governing usage of a handgun of an 18-20 year old without a 21+ present, what I'm really asking is if On Target will recognize this. If so, awesome. I'm hoping I might be getting a nice 9mm gift from my Pops sometime next month.

If not, no big. I turn 21 in May. I'm just really interested in the action pistol stuff, and shooting in general. Would suck to have a handgun and ammo that I legally own and not be able to shoot it at a range, even though doing so would be perfectly legal...
Old 02-15-2011, 6:45 PM

Had same problem at different range. Learned that it's their insurance that doesn't let them allow under 21, not the law. So now I just bring a friend or just drive a little further to a range that doesn't really care. 21 in a few months anyways.
Old 02-15-2011, 6:49 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

my 5 year old shoots his pistol at the local range, NP, however he informs me that he can not drive there on his own until he is 6

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 02-15-2011, 7:30 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTD View Post
Under 21, you may not buy liquor or hand gun; however, you can still shoot at any shooting range
Legally, yes.
Quote:
but you must be with an adult over 21.
Legally, no.

But as a matter of policy, a range can set any policy that they desire so long as it is not discriminatory (except against youth, apparently age discrimination only applies to those over 55).

The OP was asking specifically about On Target Range in Orange County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-17-2011, 3:02 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Why 21

I spent quite a bit of time reviewing just what I should say to this question, it is a good one.

We have adopted a policy that we say is driven by our insurance policy and by the DOJ policies. We can not sell a pistol to someone under 21, but they can own one. The fact that the Califonia law in of it's self is at opposites should supprise no regular reader of Calguns. The fact that we as a FFL holder and Shooting Range get "mis" information and mis-direction from various agencies should be considered standard FUD.

What we have chosen to do is adopt a position that puts my business in the least amount of risk. I/we have established policies that restrict renting to individuals. We are not the only range in this State that does that and I can only hope that before I finally get fed up with running this business and quit, we can toss all of the problems out of office.

In the mean time understand what we as a business go through to stay in business. Every week we have to have a customer leave the range due to issues. They always end up on Yelp or Goggle saying what bastards we are for not letting them point loaded guns at people and how they were not doing anything wrong. Of course the video I have says otherwise, but this is American and the first one to post their noise wins, as no one ever asks what really happens.

Stop by sometime when I am there and I will make sure you get to rent a firearm as an UNDER 21 year old. I do make exceptions as I own the rules -- bring someone with you as buddy competitions are always the best way to win a beer afterwards.

Gregg

NRA Supporter & Life Member
CRPA Life Member