Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default heavily considering moving back to win7

win10 has been OK. i disabled all those privacy concern things. I use dual monitors where one is hdmi and the other is mini display port.

oddly and some time back, i started having issues maximizing screen (full screen) when watching youtube or netflix (among other things). i was getting a microsoft driver error. I installed the intel drivers and nvidia drivers again. but alas, it doesn't work.

the net effect is that it stops output to one monitor (goes blank). i'd have to restart to get it going. after a while, it just freezes and boots up (bsod) when i maximize screen.

I did a fresh install recently of win10 (complete wipe). but I still had it. i thought it may be the sequence of installing drivers vs. accepting microsoft drivers but it still occurs. at least now if i use only one monitor and maximize netflix when only watching, it seems to hold ok. hate having to ruin the file system each time i bsod, and which is why i just did a fresh install.

Below is the initial microsoft error i got

then it grew to this bsod

initial bsod (posted here months before but that was just something i had to reinstall, but unsure if both are related)

Old 06-27-2016, 2:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Just wait until you install another hard drive (even if checking boot order, AND even if your OS HDD is plugged into the 1st SATA port), and UEFI firmware and Windows stop playing even THAT nice...
Now THAT is a joy...

If you have a Windows 7 DVD, and key, I would assume you could go back from a clean install with the key (on bottom of your rig?).

I have not tried this if a machine has been upgraded, then tried to activate Windows 7 after the fact, so I don't know if the license (KEY) gets upgraded to Win10 only on M$' servers disallowing activation of 7...
BUT it's M$, and who knows... you could try. There is always the "UNUSED OEM" option, if you have issues. With Windows 7 I haven't really had issues using any DVD and key, as long as the key matches the x86 or AMD64 flavor and the version(: Home starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Pro, or Ultimate), OEM or retail disc vs key doesn't seem to be an issue as it was with prior versions.

Last edited by the86d; 06-27-2016 at 2:46 AM..
Old 06-27-2016, 4:20 AM
Calguns Addict

I can sympathize with you, for me win10 is a fail on many levels.

Some here believe it to be a wonderful OS, I don't see it, for me

I am now getting this hot mail pop up, it's a PITA, but when it disappears mail will not load at all, no win or hot mail, go figure.

I can see having one or 2 quick fix glitches, but it seems they were more interested in their new SPYWARE the a good OS.

We can probably chase this back some were to BOZO, our clown & chief.
Old 06-27-2016, 4:48 AM
Veteran Member

I've had this happen last week to two brand new computers I installed. Both gave no warning or choice about 10, just installed it. Once that blue screen came up, they would load the os for about ten seconds and then crap out.

Mind you these are brand new from dell. Microsoft should be under investigation for lost dollars in the public sector in time lost dealing with their forced crappy product.
Old 06-27-2016, 5:39 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^this would help
Old 06-27-2016, 6:02 AM

you can try this. but your better off in the long run just going back to 7 pro

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...state-failure/
Old 06-27-2016, 6:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

the86d,
i had a win7 oem cd from dell. i had to ask them for it because the oem software for recovery forces to install on a regular hard drive (sata). i wanted to use msata and the very small msata chip was only used for intel rapid system technology (irst iirc). plus i don't have all the dell crapware too with a fresh/clean install.

so it's manual key plus i had a image after install with incrememtal based on applications installed. i can easily go back to only the drivers were installed and fresh, and build from there. only 10 mins recovery.

if it continues, i'll have to just downgrade and figure out how to prevent win10 from upgrading. i didn't really get much advantages to win10 given it's fast enough booting on msata. it's really this dual display i like having and being to maximize when watching.
Old 06-27-2016, 8:49 PM

I have a similar setup as you, Windows 10 with one display port monitor and one HDMI, and have had similar errors as you. For me, it would BSOD if I had the video window maximized on my display port monitor and I clicked something on the HDMI monitor. In games it would just drop to a black screen and not recover. Changing the settings on my Nvidia card from multi-monitor performance mode to single-monitor performance mode appears to have fixed the problem.

Old 06-27-2016, 9:04 PM

After countless prompts to upgrade to W10, then without notice, MS took over my computer while I was working, screen went blank, and downloaded W10.

I indeed decided to upgrade, I bought an iMac. See ya...
Old 06-28-2016, 4:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnele928 View Post
After countless prompts to upgrade to W10, then without notice, MS took over my computer while I was working, screen went blank, and downloaded W10.

I indeed decided to upgrade, I bought an iMac. See ya...
Now install a Windows VM on it, so you can actually be productive...
Old 06-28-2016, 11:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

thanks! i'm going to give that a try this weekend and post here the findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsulphur View Post
I have a similar setup as you, Windows 10 with one display port monitor and one HDMI, and have had similar errors as you. For me, it would BSOD if I had the video window maximized on my display port monitor and I clicked something on the HDMI monitor. In games it would just drop to a black screen and not recover. Changing the settings on my Nvidia card from multi-monitor performance mode to single-monitor performance mode appears to have fixed the problem.

Old 07-03-2016, 1:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It didn't didn't bsod when maximing the screen on the hdmi side. but... it gave me the same windows error of the driver and it shut off feed to the display port side. so i'm only with one monitor if i maximized it on hdmi side. this was youtube though. netflix worked OK when maximized the hdmi side.

alas, maybe this is just the way it is with win10?

Quote:

Last edited by high_revs; 07-03-2016 at 1:46 AM..
Old 07-03-2016, 9:21 AM

An oem computer like dell, running the OEM windows dell cd does NOT need a cd key. The cd key is in the flash bios, contained in a part of memory called the SLIC

When installing from scratch, don't enter the key, just tell it you want to install ultimate and it will be activated on the reboot

Get RW everything. And look at your computers SLIC license table. , if it says 2.1 then that
Means you get free windows 7 ultimate. If it says 2.0 then it means all you get is windows vista and you need a cd key.

http://www.iplanetforum.com/yaf_post...ctivation.aspx

This is a pet peeve of mine. Oem computer manufactures been giving away windows for 10 years and just keeping Hush hush about it, so you would throw money at them. Meanwhile microsoft wants to give away windows 10 for free , but asking for your privacy in exchange.

Oem computer manufactures have paid for your license. The bulk license key supports all versions of windows 7 ( home, ultimate, business, etc ) . The license key was permanently written to the flash bios when it left the factory. Then they have the attitude to ask you for extra money for ultimate windows 7, when your computer was already authorized for it.

All oem windows editions have the same identical dvd. Its the cd key ( or you skipping entering the cd key ) that tells the Dvd which version of windows to install
If you have the 64 bit oem dell "home edition", then that dvd also containers the oem dell "ultimate edition"

The important thing about windows is to make sure you do not install 64 bit over an existing 32 bit isntall

If you build your own computer, and your computer is not a name brand. Then you have to buy a windows license or a retail box of windows.

Last edited by rigorkrad; 07-03-2016 at 9:39 AM..
Old 07-03-2016, 9:42 AM

You should make sure every trace of the nvidia drivers are gone and then reinstall. Also try different versions (beta vs release or an older release).
Old 07-03-2016, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
This is true... I thought it would be a great improvement, but actually, not. It was just a nightmare.

-Archilochos

http://energypronto.com
Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
You should make sure every trace of the nvidia drivers are gone and then reinstall. Also try different versions (beta vs release or an older release).
no dice... i uninstalled all my nvidea and intel drivers. i even let it run only the microsoft drivers (which later downloaded an intel one).

is it because one monitor is 34"? i have the monitor below.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha.../dp/B00PXYRMPE

I have two 24" monitors at work with the difference being one is vga and one is display port 2 for connections. I don't have this issue.

i'll have to test again disconnecting 34" monitor, test only on the 27", reconnect 27" and disconnect 34", and test again.

maybe the issue is when i have both monitors connected.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
It didn't didn't bsod when maximing the screen on the hdmi side. but... it gave me the same windows error of the driver and it shut off feed to the display port side. so i'm only with one monitor if i maximized it on hdmi side. this was youtube though. netflix worked OK when maximized the hdmi side.

alas, maybe this is just the way it is with win10?
Our symptoms were similar, but error messages were different. My BSOD was related to a Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error for whatever that means. Our problems seem to be driver related and it might be more of an Nvidia problem than Microsoft though it seems Nvidia isn't the only one having problems writing drivers for Windows 10. On a rare occasion, I'll have a monitor go black and it's always the display port side. Youtube BSOD my system regularly before I played with the drivers.

Have you tried disabling Intel CPU video in your bios? My CPU doesn't have onboard video, but this has helped some people.

Last edited by yellowsulphur; 07-11-2016 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: CPU video?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:12 PM

Windows 10 is a POS. Any company that pushes their OS like some sort of toolbar or some third party utility doesn't get any sympathy from me.
Old 07-11-2016, 4:16 PM

Remember also that Windows 8 and Windows 10 both have cached settings for quick boot.

If you are making changes it pays to make sure you do a uncached or non-quick boot. Otherwise changes sometimes do not get picked up.
Old 07-13-2016, 6:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Have you tried disabling Intel CPU video in your bios? My CPU doesn't have onboard video, but this has helped some people.
that part, i've not done yet via bios. another thing to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoup View Post
Remember also that Windows 8 and Windows 10 both have cached settings for quick boot.

If you are making changes it pays to make sure you do a uncached or non-quick boot. Otherwise changes sometimes do not get picked up.
hmm.. haven't heard of having a need to do that. but will look into the tip there.
Old 07-13-2016, 8:48 PM

I can confirm you can activate Windows 7 again after a Windows 10 upgrade.
Old 07-14-2016, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

I have Windows 7 at work and Windows 10 at home. When I get stuck, I can usually YouTube a solution. I also have a Mac at work, so I just go with the flow.

I didn't know there were privacy issues with Windows 10. I just figure anything I do when connected to the internet is open to the world.
Old 07-14-2016, 6:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There's no disabling the Intel graphics via BIOS. I think that's what you meant - GPU vs. CPU??

My first test was to unplug the 34" that is connected by mini display port. Everything works fine if it's just the 27" and I can run maximized screen netflix, youtube or anthing else browser based. (VLC ran fine by itself).

Second test was to disable the Intel graphics card. I can disable in device manager and that's what I did. I can run maximized screens now in youtube or netflix or anything else on either the 27" or 34" monitors. My 34" runs 3440 x 1440 while the 27" only runs 1920 x 1080.

The odd thing about netflix is that before it would only run in my 27" screen. If I launch it in 34" it shows the menu but when you start playing, I get a blank netflix browser screen. I'd have to stop, go back tomenu, drag netflix into my 27" and then launch and watch from there.

Now it works both screens but it won't drag to another monitor while playing. I'd have to stop, go back, move to other monitor and then play so the display shows.

I can run a youtube max screen in one monitor and run netflix max screen in the other.

I wonder how much beating my nvidea card is taking and if it'll burn out. LOL it's a discrete video only. There's a little performance hit during boot up it seems with the Intel card disabled. Unsure if that is what it really is for the slightly slower boot up. I'm using msata for my main hdd for bootup.

I'll have to reverse and try using only the intel card.

Quote:

Old 09-21-2019, 11:46 PM

Default Windows 10 Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
win10 has been OK. i disabled all those privacy concern things. I use dual monitors where one is hdmi and the other is mini display port.

oddly and some time back, i started having issues maximizing screen (full screen) when watching youtube or netflix (among other things). i was getting a microsoft driver error. I installed the intel drivers and nvidia drivers again. but alas, it doesn't work.

the net effect is that it stops output to one monitor (goes blank). i'd have to restart to get it going. after a while, it just freezes and boots up (bsod) when i maximize screen.

I did a fresh install recently of win10 (complete wipe). but I still had it. i thought it may be the sequence of installing drivers vs. accepting microsoft drivers but it still occurs. at least now if i use only one monitor and maximize netflix when only watching, it seems to hold ok. hate having to ruin the file system each time i bsod, and which is why i just did a fresh install.

Below is the initial microsoft error i got

then it grew to this bsod

initial bsod (posted here months before but that was just something i had to reinstall, but unsure if both are related)

The first method to troubleshoot the Windows 10 issue is checking your AntiVirus Software.

The first and foremost method to fix this issue is to check whether the issue is causing by your AntiVirus Software.

To check your AntiVirus Software, you need to disable the AntiVirus Software.

After disabling your AntiVirus Software, check whether the windows 10 high disk usage issue is solved or not.

If the issue still persists make sure you follow the other methods below.
Or else check the article below
http://techstuffsarena.com/2019/04/2...gh-disk-usage/
Old 09-22-2019, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Win10's background indexing, updating, and MOAR is horrible, but luckily it stops after a few "hours"... even with the Debloat script applying 10 BS removals.
Old 09-22-2019, 9:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Beware some of the privacy things you disabled, they re-enable themselves.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post

Some here believe it to be a wonderful OS, I don't see it, for me

I am now getting this hot mail pop up, it's a PITA, but when it disappears mail will not load at all, no win or hot mail, go figure.

I can see having one or 2 quick fix glitches, but it seems they were more interested in their new SPYWARE the a good OS.

We can probably chase this back some were to BOZO, our clown & chief.
I just sold my lone, WinX computer (Dell 5559).

My ThinkPad W540, runs Win7Pro. Both of them.
My T440p ThinkPads (I currently have five of them), run mostly Win8.1Pro, with Classic Shell. MUCH better than WinX. A couple are Win7Pro.

I have two, T400 ThinkPads. One is Linux Mint, the other is Win7 Home Premium.

I have a couple of T500 ThinkPads, with Radeon graphics, they ALSO run Win7Home Premium.

My R400, and R500 ThinkPads, all run Vista, except one. It runs Linux Mint also.

I have *ZERO* issues with ANY of them, and I've had my T400, for almost ten years. It runs much better today, than it did when it was new.

I'm not real fond of WinX either.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:33 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

They’ll get Win 7 Pro from my cold dead hands.

Old 09-25-2019, 2:48 PM

FYI - Windows 7 is EOL (End-of-life aka Microsoft will stop supporting it) in January of 2020.

This means there will be no more updates, security patches, etc. issued for Windows 7 after January of 2020. If you keep using Windows 7 after January 2020 and there are exploits found, your PC may be compromised with no fix available.
Old 09-25-2019, 2:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
I've had this happen last week to two brand new computers I installed. Both gave no warning or choice about 10, just installed it. Once that blue screen came up, they would load the os for about ten seconds and then crap out.

Mind you these are brand new from dell. Microsoft should be under investigation for lost dollars in the public sector in time lost dealing with their forced crappy product.
My experience is the Blue Screen and Dell are inseparable.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 09-25-2019, 2:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

After all this time Win10 still sucks major *** when dealing with graphics and multiple monitors. Crap never works right. Always randomly shutting off monitors, flipping them around, one goes into sleep mode randomly while the other doesn't. I don't know what they did to the graphics subsystem on this OS but its literally the worse I've ever seen. No amount of driver updates or downgrades seems to fix anything. They like to blame the graphics card manufacturers (all of them?) or the monitor manufacturers (seriously?) yet the exact same hardware doesn't have those issues in Win7. Win10 is ok for some things, our CAD software actually runs faster in it... but that doesn't mean a lot when your screen cuts out in the middle of working on something.
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb
Old 09-25-2019, 3:20 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohsinboruah View Post
The first method to troubleshoot the Windows 10 issue is checking your AntiVirus Software.

The first and foremost method to fix this issue is to check whether the issue is causing by your AntiVirus Software.

To check your AntiVirus Software, you need to disable the AntiVirus Software.

After disabling your AntiVirus Software, check whether the windows 10 high disk usage issue is solved or not.

If the issue still persists make sure you follow the other methods below.
Or else check the article below
http://techstuffsarena.com/2019/04/2...gh-disk-usage/
I think this person signed in just to post this article. The OP was from 2016. This person that revived it checked the warning to revive an old thread as their very first and so far only recorded post.
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 09-25-2019, 3:41 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, it's the lack of browsers at a certain point that kill older operating systems if Internet is needed.

Respectfully
Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 09-25-2019, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

So, can one sill buy Win 7 pro? I ask cause I want to build a new computer and loath Win 10.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 09-27-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobler View Post
So, can one sill buy Win 7 pro? I ask cause I want to build a new computer and loath Win 10.
Try using google or Duckduckgo and what you seek is there, your options
may need activations whether KMS or digital means. Just saying

As far as Win 10, depending which version you run, what you remove, services running etc. Ntlite to remove things. Once again search will provide nfo.
Currently run custom versions on various Computers.

no I don't work in the computer area it's just a hobby I've been in for years
since the DOS / CPM days, building old Heathkit computers.

-Rock
Old 09-27-2019, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobler View Post
No but there are *supertopsecretactivators* that probably exist...
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb
Old 09-27-2019, 3:27 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
ray415

FYI - Windows 7 is EOL (End-of-life aka Microsoft will stop supporting it) in January of 2020.

This means there will be no more updates, security patches, etc. issued for Windows 7 after January of 2020. If you keep using Windows 7 after January 2020 and there are exploits found, your PC may be compromised with no fix available.

Of this I am aware, but aware of not much else.

I'll be buying a new machine (probably another Lenovo, an equivalent to this W530 running Win 7) in the next three months.

Next to Win 10, what are my OS options?

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 09-28-2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray415 View Post

Use a good AV, like Avast!, and use MalwareBytes, and you'll be fine.
There is always a fix. Use Macrium Reflect, and back up your image to an external drive. Have a problem? Ransomware? Re-image. Simple as that.

We go through this "The Sky Is Falling" hyperbull, every time an O/S is replaced. I have YET to see XP, or Vista "Compromised by a vulnerability", and I still use both.

I will continue to use Windows 7, until I can no longer find a way to surf the web with it (I STILL get on-line with XP... No problems).
Old 09-28-2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Of this I am aware, but aware of not much else.

I'll be buying a new machine (probably another Lenovo, an equivalent to this W530 running Win 7) in the next three months.

Next to Win 10, what are my OS options?
Go for the W540! I run mine on Win7Pro, and I can also run them on Win8.1Pro, with Classic Shell.

Win8.1/Classic Shell, is lighter, faster, and more stable than WinX, if set up right. Also, more SSD friendly. You also don't have to worry about Microsnot, shoving/forcing updates up your A-Ho.
Old 09-28-2019, 8:54 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray415 View Post

MS will still support Win 7 with patches on a paid basis. They will also continue to support it and provide security updates for embedded applications like ATMs and those can usually be installed on all Win 7 with just a reg hack.

And MS could extend the official Win 7 EOL.

You’re not scaring me.