Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-18-2017, 5:21 PM

Default hearing protection for duck hunting

Any recommendations for hearing protection to use while duck hunting? For use in pit blinds etc.

I use active ear muff at the range for rifle/shotgun/pistol. Would like something active for in the field, but muffs would be cumbersome.
Old 09-18-2017, 8:04 PM

...Screenshot_20170918-195754.jpg
Old 09-18-2017, 8:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I had a set of EAR custom digital plugs made and i also use an electronic muff.
Old 09-18-2017, 9:29 PM

I use the set of plugs they sell at Walmart fit $13. They have a removable insert that makes it so you can easily talk and hear, but still cuts the loud noises down. Tuck the lanyard strap in between the velcro of your hat and they are always there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 9:32 PM

Muffs give me a headache after an hour. Late season I layer up with a knit hat, neoprene mask and hood, but can barely hear them coming in.
Ive heard good things about digital plugs. 3M TEP-100s are $270 for up to 30dB reduction for 16hr run time.

Don't forget...

Old 09-18-2017, 9:36 PM

3m peltor tep-100. You can still hear birds and whisper in the blind with these.

They are a little expensive but great in-ear noise cancelling earpro. Been using my set for almost 3 years now. Case they come in can charge the earbuds with 3x AA battery or with a usb cord. Standard reduction in sound level is -23dB and the crazy 'screw' type ear cups are supposed to provide -30dB. This is the level you get with standard foam earplugs.

3M/Peltor also have a great warranty department and replaced my case (free of charge) that got damaged by salt water.

Last edited by evanboyle; 09-18-2017 at 9:43 PM..
Old 09-18-2017, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001T...ZmL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001V...8WL&ref=plSrch

My father in law has these, used them while dove hunting and liked them. He paid $140 for them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XM...DXL&ref=plSrch
Old 09-18-2017, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Muffs give me a headache after an hour. Late season I layer up with a knit hat, neoprene mask and hood, but can barely hear them coming in.
Ive heard good things about digital plugs. 3M TEP-100s are $270 for up to 30dB reduction for 16hr run time.

Don't forget...

Great pic!!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Don't forget...

How is your 870 not orange?
Old 09-19-2017, 7:52 AM

I've been using Soundgear's in-the-canal (25dB) for about a year now. Comfortable and work really well. They were not cheap, but neither are working ears. I used my HSA card to pay for them.

Last edited by XVIga_Rob; 09-19-2017 at 7:55 AM..
Old 09-19-2017, 8:42 AM

I use the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic. About $40.00-$50.00 on sale.

They last a few years and when the electronics quit, I just buy a new pair. I keep a new set at the ready. They have worked for me for a number of years. I think I'm on my 3rd set.
Old 09-19-2017, 6:51 PM

I go on sunny days and have never needed ear protection...
Old 09-19-2017, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

I don't duck hunt but I shoot a lot of shotguns and rifles, muffs don't always work for me. Pig hunts are my thing.

I use Walker's Razor-XV (NRR 31) or Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Plus Ear Plugs (NRR 24). With the Walker's, I can link my bluetooth to my phone, it has the active sensor for enhancing sounds, and auto shutoff for gunshots. I like that the Walker comes with different size ear plugs.

The Surefire lets me open the plug for ambient sounds and they're quite comfortable. They're considered disposable but I don't have a habit of throwing away $18 plugs.

"You know the real difference between you and me?"
"Yeah. Denial."

Huntin Obessesion / Active Junky / Dvor / Ebates
Stuff for sale:
Crimson Trace (P228/P229)

CGSSA on Amazon

Last edited by RogueSniper; 09-19-2017 at 10:20 PM..
Old 09-19-2017, 8:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have never used ear protection when hunting and ive been hunting since i was young. It might catch up to me in 10 years but right now i hear what i want, or so im told by the old lady!!!!
Old 09-19-2017, 9:38 PM

I have been duck hunting for 30 years. I wish I had used them earlier in life. I can't hear well now. I had my hearing check about 10 years ago and there was a significant loss of hear in the range that is related to a shotgun blasts.

I have used them ever since. But you don't get any of that hearing loss back.

I'm in Edmonton right now. We have taken 116 birds over the last 54 hours. That's a lot of shells going off. Yes, I am using my ear protection.
Old 09-20-2017, 4:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Both Howard Light and Walkers make good electronic ear muffs for around fifty bucks.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 AM

I use the 1-2-3 method; first shot is loud, second shot rings and third shot is silence.
Old 09-22-2017, 9:15 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Check out the Etymotic EP15s. Electronic earplugs with amplification option.
Very comfortable and you can hear reasonably naturally while gunshots get muffled to 85db or less.
Old 09-23-2017, 2:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. I already have tinitus; ring all the time. Too many loud cars, stereos, concerts in days gone by.
Old 09-23-2017, 3:30 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE228 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I already have tinitus; ring all the time. Too many loud cars, stereos, concerts in days gone by.
Tinitus, check. Hearing loss, check.
I'm with you in that boat. I try to keep my ears safe these days even though it's too late for the most part. I'm just trying not to make it worse. I have earplugs at work, earplugs for under my m/c helmet, earplugs and muffs for the range. I just hope I'm not stone deaf in 20 years.
Old 09-25-2017, 5:23 PM

I too have hearing loss (about 30% deaf in one ear) from free diving, rock concerts, playing drums in a band, and shooting a lot as a kid without ear protection. I wish I had that hearing back now, instead of the constant high-pitched whine.

For walk-around hunting, I've been using a pair of Walkers Game Ears (older version) that you can pick up now on Amazon for about $50.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HYVR7S

They are pretty good considering the price. I can wear them for a 5 mile hike with a shotgun and not have them bother me much, and the directional mic's actually work quite well (they amplify sound, so you can hear stuff moving around or your buddy stumbling through the brush 80 yards to your left). . This is the biggest difference between them and a pair of similarly-priced Howard Leights that I have.

They are typical of anything electronic and made in China nowadays - they work well, but the materials are inexpensive (e.g. plastic ear cushions that get sweaty if its warm out).

I've probably worn them for 100 or more hours in the field and I'm reasonably happy with them.

One of these days I may try the neckband type Razor XV units, if I can get someone to tell me that the sound quality is good and you can tell the direction of sounds as well or better than the Game Ears I have now. (I consider that critical for hunting small game)

I'm not crazy about wearing muffs - it limits hat choices and does get uncomfortable after extended periods of time, but until I find a better option, this is what I use.
Old 09-25-2017, 9:07 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

I should add that there is a company (I forget the name) that makes the soft memory foam tips for in-ear headphones, etc. and they also fit the Etymotics...they seal very well and are extremely comfortable. No chafing, no pressure in the ear. All day comfort but its something like $20 $15 for three pair of tips. Still worth it.

EDIT: found it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
In the end, though, anything you do to limit exposure to unmuffled gunfire will be better than doing nothing.

Etymotic EB15: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/he...on/eb15le.html

Last edited by Sputnik; 09-25-2017 at 9:15 PM.. Reason: add a link
Old 09-25-2017, 9:21 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSniper View Post
snip

The Surefire lets me open the plug for ambient sounds and they're quite comfortable. They're considered disposable but I don't have a habit of throwing away $18 plugs.
The tips are disposable but are good for a month or so depending on use, the rest is reusable.
The trouble I have with the Surefire is that its more expensive to buy a pack of 3 new tips than to buy a whole new set of plugs that comes with 2 sets of tips in the package... Its like replacement printer ink cartridges; a ripoff.
I do like their plugs though. Its what I use at work.
Old 09-26-2017, 9:48 AM

I usually use the Surefire EP3 or EP4 for duck hunting. You can hear the call well, talk to your buddies and have hearing protection. I wear these all the time for hunting.

I have issues with my walker game ear's on windy days, and they really suck inside a hood if it is raining. Same thing for those big ugly muffs you see people wearing. I'd get an electronic in the ear solution and back it up with a pair of Surefire plugs in the pocket of every pair of hunting pants, waders or blind bag your have.
Old 09-26-2017, 5:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i use regular foam earplugs when i hunt. i use one in my left ear and my friend is off to my left and my right is clear and i don't hear the shotgun that much.

believe it or not i have near normal hearing after twenty year of duck hunting and shooting in general and being a mechanic for the last 15 years.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:49 PM

For general shotgun use, foam earplugs work fine for me. I've used cheap ones with the neck ring (looks like a horseshoe) for deer hunting where I want them ready but not on all day. There's another one that is more form-fitted where part goes in your ear but has a small opening and the rest wraps around the back of the ear. I forget it's name but it is marketed for police use where they need to hear conversations & such but may need sudden hearing protection. I used it on my last rifle hunt, about 3 years ago and was impressed. Hearing around me wasn't impacted much. But my .308 with a shorter barrel and a bit of a bark didn't cause the least discomfort -- even though I shot toward the mountain (all sound coming back at me). If the action is heavy, I'd just stick to foam plugs. If you're in a blind where sound is going to be more like indoor shooting, then I'd invest more in an electronic setup.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Don't forget...

More info on pooch muffs?