Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-07-2019, 3:34 PM

Default Adding Iron Sights

I have a Mossberg MVP Flex that I've been thinking about adding iron sights to from day 1. Any guess about how much that would run me?

Irons would be backup to a 2x7 scope that sits up there already. Preference would be an aperture rear that could just sit on the rail under the scope until needed.
Old 11-07-2019, 3:38 PM

GG&G makes a 45 degree picatinny sight that I've used on several weapons. Works OK for me.
Old 11-07-2019, 4:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't know that platform

https://www.mossberg.com/category/se...es/mvp-patrol/

Figure out the end game... you can have a sight silver soldered to the front
a rear added

quick release for the optics...

Is it worth spending the money for that feature? While hunting I broke a ring and lost zero... I did not switch to the Iron sights... The irons on my hunting rifles have never been used...

My guess is that if you supplied parts to a local smith, they might charge 2 hours labor to solder on the front...

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 11-07-2019, 5:24 PM

If you want sights for a backup while hunting just bring another gun.

For anything else, just bring another gun.
Old 11-07-2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
I have a Mossberg MVP Flex that I've been thinking about adding iron sights to from day 1. Any guess about how much that would run me?

Irons would be backup to a 2x7 scope that sits up there already. Preference would be an aperture rear that could just sit on the rail under the scope until needed.
brno zkk action 600/601 ( can't remember which or if both) had exactly what you are asking for. unfortunately they have long been discontinued and other than a custom job by a no longer in business gunsmith in AZ, I do not know if what you are looking for specifically is even being made.

check out this thread and you will see how what you ask for was done on a custom basis. you might be able to talk one of the smiths that hang around here into helping you build what you want.

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=7916.0

iron sights for bolt actions that are worth a darn are hard to find.
Old 11-22-2019, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Let me start by saying that I add a receiver sight and front sight to every one of my rifles, and I've been doing it for years.

The short story and truth is, it's a pita!!

A gunsmith can install what-ever sights you give him or ask him to, but today there isn't a gunsmith that will figure out what sights and sight picture will meet your expectations. If there is a gunsmith that can miraculously do it to your satisfaction the cost will likely scare you away.

This is a DIY project, and if you're up to the task go for it but if you don't have the hands-on skill, and tools then you'd be better off with a quick detach red-dot sight. It will cost a lot less and you'l be sighted-in in one range session.
Old 11-22-2019, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

The guy who wrote thw fourth reply in this thread knows what he's talking about,

Old 11-22-2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
The guy who wrote thw fourth reply in this thread knows what he's talking about,

I disagree. Often in the field it is not practical to have a second rifle all the time. Perhaps in the jeep or truck, but when I've been miles away on foot it is not an option. This was discussed at length during the last Scout Rifle Conference (2016), in which I participated. Granted it is a very rare occurrence to resort to irons, but in some of the foul weather and rough terrain we find ourselves in, it could make the difference. For this we occasionally practice removing optics in the field, and running such field exercises so equipped. interestingly, not many consider just how they will carry the removed optic; I figured a "sling", pre-tied with two loops and made from para-cord, worked excellently when there was not time to place it in the day pack, but I digress.
Old 11-22-2019, 8:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post

I would probably cut a dovetail into your scope base and mount one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323712341023

Then I would mount a front sight on the barrel.
You could leave the rear sight folded down under your scope.
Use quick release rings to be able to remove the scope without tools and then the rear sight could be popped up.

I would NOT use any sort of picatinny mount rear sight because they would all be too tall to fit under a properly mounted scope and would be too tall when deployed as they are all intended for AR's where the front sight is almost 2" above the barrel.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 11-22-2019, 8:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
I disagree. Often in the field it is not practical to have a second rifle all the time...
I didn't read the rest of your reply but I would never have a 2nd rifle in the field, ever!

I prefer iron sights, but do have a couple rifles configured with quick detach scope AND removable receiver sight so I can switch back and forth.

The guy who wrote that in the link describes the sighting line (or what-ever you want to call it) of the scope, red-dot, and peep sight all being very close to the same. If you're using quick detach scope and iron sights this needs to be considered, or have an adjustable comb.

When I see someone use higher than necessary rings on a lever action you know they don't get it, or worse they use AR rings on a lever action!

Last edited by smittty; 11-22-2019 at 9:10 PM..
Old 11-22-2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
I didn't read the rest of your reply but I would never have a 2nd rifle in the field, ever!

I prefer iron sights, but do have a couple rifles configured with quick detach scope AND removable receiver sight so I can switch back and forth.
Forgive me for MISCOUNTING the thread #'s; I was referencing post #4 (by sd joe), not another member. You are correct. I tend to agree with 1895 on just about everything I have seen him post.