Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-27-2019, 7:35 PM

Divernhunter,
I run 49.5 gr of IMR 8208 under a 160 gr Barns TTSX and it crosses the Chrony at 2,900 fps. 50 gr is the book max, it's a very compressed load at 49.5 gr in the Federal case I use. I see no signs of pressure at my load number. I have another load for it but haven't tested it yet on game and it wouldn't be legal there in Calif anyway that uses the 200gr. .338 Flex Tip. The flex tip shoot very good and the jacket design fits the speed of the load to a T.

Last edited by elk hunter; 11-27-2019 at 7:37 PM..
Old 11-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the load info I will try it once I get the stuff and rifle
Old 11-28-2019, 11:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Well I bought a rifle in that cartridge and would like to find a T/C Encore pistol barrel chambered for it now.
It will put the smack down on deer/pigs/bear and such and even elk at reasonable ranges.
I like it for Ca since it has more frontal area than a 6.5/7mm or 30cal bullets and that does matter with non-lead. The 160gr Barnes TTSX should be really good at 2900-3000FPS.
Wish I had bought one when I could have got it in a Tikka T-3 lite for $400. I did get a new Savage Hog Hunter that is now discontinued I am told. Ordered a Leupold VX3i 3.5X10X40 duplex reticle scope and have bases/rings at home already. Ordered 500 rounds of new brass from Starline. Ordered a couple hundred 160gr TTSX bullets and reloading dies/shell holder. I will have the supplies before I can pick up the rifle.
I have a 358 reamer if you want to step it up even bigger than a 338.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.