Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 02-02-2008, 3:17 PM

Default Non Range shooting spots around Davis/Woodland area?

I live in Davis an I'm looking for a Non-range shooting spot. I'm about 10 min from YSA shooting range but I want to be able to go somewhere and just have some fun without having fear of the ROs yelling for rapid fire. Its never happened to me before but I can imagine it has to someone else.
Old 02-02-2008, 3:31 PM

I don't know if its still permitted, but when I was in Davis we used to go shoot out past the causeway between Davis, and Sacramento. That area beyond the levy (where people put out rocks), left hand side of 80.

Honestly, check first. I moved from Davis in 93.

PS - I hear there's a range in Woodland that's close by. Do not know it it has a RSO, or other supervision.
Indoor Winter Rimfire Shoot. Information here
Old 02-02-2008, 4:02 PM

Oh, the Yolo bypass... I'm sure its not allowed anymore, but I'll make a few call and find out.
Does someone else know of a different spot?
Old 02-06-2008, 2:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I haven't done this myself, but thought about it a lot when I lived in Davis:

It's legal to hunt BLM land, including the Cache Creek BLM land which is not far to the West. I don't think they allow target shooting, but all you need is a hunting license and you can be out there shooting at target-rich varmints like ground squirrels.

Honorary Board Member, the California Gun Rights Foundation
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
Yes I'm an attorney. No, this post does not contain legal advice or opinion.
Old 02-11-2008, 4:42 PM
Administrator

I've long since moved out of Davis - how is it nowadays? But back in the day, I used to spend hours researching shooting spots, and made it a point to map these out mentally so that I could go blasting without having RO supervision.

Here is what I came up with:

1) Cache Canyon Regional Park - despite the name sounding local or state-like, I discovered this bit of land is BLM, and you can legally shoot there without any issues. You may need to map out the location of this place, it's quite out there, maybe 1.5 hours away from Davis. You'll definitely feel like you're driving into the boonies in the hills. Once you get there, I used to park in the dirt as close to the closed gate as possible. There is a small cement bridge that gets flooded when the snow melts and increases the waterflow in the creek. You can park on the other side of the bridge assuming the bridge is not flooded, then hike in with your gear and targets. Find a spot against one of the hills for a safe backdrop. To my knowledge there is no special designated shooting spot - I used to hike into the woods and find a safe spot. Everything I brought in, I brought back out - brass, trash, everything. I'd bring trash bags to clean up the mess too, and would suggest you do the same. Be careful - it is tick and rattlesnake country out there, and I've definitely heard the rattle of a rattlesnake while hiking in to a shooting spot before.

2) Spenceville Wildlife Area - no longer a free-for-all target blast site, they only allow paper targets, and many here have reported yahoo-like behavior out there. My opinion - shoot there at your own risk.

3) Boca - It's been a long time since I checked this range out, and it requires a bit of a hike unless you are a paying member of this multi-use land, but it is again unsupervised and you can run your holster drills all day here. This place is close to Truckee and you have to either ask for a key from Bud's Sporting Goods, or hike all the way in yourself. They had a little bit of an attitude last time I was there, so you may or may not get a key from them to unlock the access gates to allow vehicles to get in to the land. If you plan to hoof it, access is virtually unlimited - only limited by your energy and willingness to hike with gear / targets / trash bags. This place should be within driving distance of Davis.

Bud's Sporting Goods & Fountain
10043 Donner Pass Rd
Truckee, CA 96161
(530) 587-3177

FWIW:

I do NOT recommend the Sac causeway. I also tried a remote spot on the outskirts of Davis close to the Mace Blvd exit once, that was a bad idea. Shot only about 2 mags worth, a couple of cars showed up with some weirdo teens, packed up, and got outta there just in time as some sheriff cars were pulling in. Anyone who lives in or around Davis knows that it is a very liberal town and anything remotely related to guns really isn't taken very well. This was in the 1990's, I can only imagine it's gotten worse by now.

I was quite enthusiastic about target shooting back when I was in Davis, and took the time to research and actually go to each spot above. All are (or were) valid shooting spots and worked out ok for me. Take this guidance for what it's worth, and please play it safe when in doubt.

Turby
Old 02-13-2008, 4:52 PM

I used to shoot out in the fields all the time. My secret spot was off of Mace blvd. near county road 106/38 intersection. Nothing but farms out there. There used to be a cool local shooting spot with all kinds of old cars an RV and a bunch of bottles. I went back a few years ago and they cleaned the place up

One time i was shooting for a few hours and a pickup truck rolled up. He asked what i was shooting at and I showed him the beer can. He said OK, A lot of people dump trash out here. Got in his truck and left. I shot for another hour until I ran out of ammo and left.

I was kicked off once when some people were hunting in the area. It is hit and miss out there.
Old 02-13-2008, 4:57 PM

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4950515a102f10

some locations on the map. hope it works
Old 02-17-2008, 7:34 PM
Administrator

Ahh, forgot to mention Colfax (there is another thread on this place). I have never personally been there but will probably check it out this year just to see what it's all about. Outside of Roseville, so it'll be a little bit of a drive from Davis, but not necessarily out of reach. Probably an hour's worth of driving and you're there. Better than trying to go to Truckee!

Turby
Old 02-17-2008, 7:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacgsxr View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4950515a102f10

some locations on the map. hope it works
Interesting, what can you tell us about spot #1? It appears to be right outside of Davis / Sacramento, potentially out in the causeway area. Looks like you might take Mace Blvd all the way out into the boonies, then off onto some of the county roads. Yes? I think I've explored out there before, even shot out there, but only .22lr so as not to create too much noise. I packed up after I saw some joggers and people walking their dogs out there - didn't seem safe to shoot with people randomly passing by.

Turby
Old 02-17-2008, 7:47 PM
In Memoriam

knoxville above barryessa, indian valley resovore, theres quite a few areas around cache creek. Im in woodpile just above you. We should go shootin sometime.
Old 02-17-2008, 7:50 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Interesting, what can you tell us about spot #1? It appears to be right outside of Davis / Sacramento, potentially out in the causeway area. Looks like you might take Mace Blvd all the way out into the boonies, then off onto some of the county roads. Yes? I think I've explored out there before, even shot out there, but only .22lr so as not to create too much noise. I packed up after I saw some joggers and people walking their dogs out there - didn't seem safe to shoot with people randomly passing by.

Turby
I'd be really carefull around that area theres a water fowl hunting preserve there. They are strict about target prectice.
Old 02-19-2008, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post

Turby
Spot #1 isnt to bad. A couple of problems is that it technically is private property and also there isnt really any good backstop. The times I have been in the past I was shooting up against a wildlife preserve so risk of injuring someone was pretty remote.

I shot there about 12 times over 1 year when I was going to UCD. Used to ride my motorcycle out there with the 12g sticking out of the back of my backpack.

1 good thing about the area is that there are a lot of good places on the west of the causeway. Scout it out I am sure you can find a safe place. Most property owners out there arent freaked out by guns like most people in davis. they ususally just ask you to leave.

I was at the spot in Colfax last weekend and that is the best free place to shoot that is 100% legal and close by. I recommend checking it out.
Old 02-19-2008, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckshootist View Post
I'd be really carefull around that area theres a water fowl hunting preserve there. They are strict about target prectice.
I think you were too close to Putah Creek. I drove further south along the causeway.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

I live in Davis and trust me, anyone that deviates from far liberal is not welcome in the town. Davis stinks with gun control idiots. For the most part the areas around Davis are much too flat, there aren't any berms, hill, or back stops to shoot into. If you shoot onto flat ground bullets will skip. So idk get out and drive out in the boonies and find a place. Just make sure you are not tresspassing on private property and you are in county land, not a city. glck
Old 02-23-2008, 6:23 PM

Thanks for all the info and maps guys I appreciate the help. I'll just have to go check some spots out and see whats out there. Colfax seems to be the place to go, but how about lake Barriesa? Thats BLM land right?
Old 02-26-2008, 1:57 PM

I know of a spot out in Oroville..I know its a good drive away from Davis...But I try to go out there once a month from San Jose..PM if you want more info...
Old 05-05-2009, 5:35 PM

dude, the levy. Im out there all the time bumpin off shots! It's completely legal and ive seen the sheriff twice and they just talk and stuff. It's cool (and legal) to shoot out there so dont even worry about it.
Old 05-05-2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonbacker56 View Post
dude, the levy. Im out there all the time bumpin off shots! It's completely legal and ive seen the sheriff twice and they just talk and stuff. It's cool (and legal) to shoot out there so dont even worry about it.
Where is this?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 PM

From: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=180961

Quote:
uh yeah. it's actually called levee rd but i dont know what the country roads are. im assuming you live in davis so ill assume youll know...all you do is turn onto the only road the runs into the Mace Blvd road (where E Covell meets Mace Blvd) and just follow the road all the way down. There are a few bends but the road just keeps on goin. You come across an intersection (and it always smells like ***) but just go across and follow the road until you see the gate. If the gate is open dont park in front of it or go up the little hill, just park in the little area and then walk up to the little hill. You'll see a bunch of shotgun shells and brass and theres some junk to shoot at the bottom where you can set up targets or cans or whatever. You can shoot without any range rules (but of course be safe). But follow the rules from the signs like the no trespassing and no hunting signs. Just follow them and you will be good. Do you have any AR's? i dont know anybody else in Davis who has one or even an "assault" kind of weapon.
Hope this helps!

Is this kinda what you mean? Not exactly on that point but on that road right?

Levee Rd
Davis, CA 95618

Last edited by Linus; 05-05-2009 at 11:35 PM..
Old 05-06-2009, 2:16 AM

yeah that's it. but you dont go that far...at least with your car. keep your car on the west side of the gate a.k.a just dont go through it with your car (even if it's open!).
Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 AM

If anyone goes out to any of those spots hit em up! Got a .22lr I'm itchin to shoot.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM

I'm down as well, I shoot at YSA whenever I can but it is never the same as just shooting. Buddy of mine just gave me some steel plinking targets too! BTW YSA is a GREAT range, the RSO's actually love their job.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM

haha im out at the levee probably twice a week but im mostly shooting my shotty. .223 is too damn expensive and i cant find any! I do bring out my baby just to show it off though...You live in Davis?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
yeah that's it. but you dont go that far...at least with your car. keep your car on the west side of the gate a.k.a just dont go through it with your car (even if it's open!).
Really? I pass by here all the time (on hwy 80). You can shoot off of Levee Road? It really looks like private property.

Turby
Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 PM

nope. if you go down on levee road and curve righ there will be a road the goes east and that's private property. There's signs posted in the places you arent supposed to be. just follow the signs if you wander, but if you really don't know just stick to the one place near the gate where everybody shoots, it's 100% legal there.
Old 05-08-2009, 2:00 AM

wow glad i stumbled onto this thread. I concur with everyone's thoughts on the davis locals. i can smell their hate of guns. i've gotten some nice looks since i often wear gun-maker related shirts/apparel. I've been dying to shoot some clays but dont care to kick out the 7 bucks a round at YSA. any of you care to go soon? i've got some other goodies too. Also, im heading up to the berryessa area tomorrow. The lake itself is BOR land, so it has more regulations than just BLM, but Im going to check out an area on the west shore called Cedar Roughs. theres a small area of protected wilderness but its surrounded but 6,000+ acres of BLM. i'll post up the results of my random adventure and any pics if its worthy.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM

hey the levee is a great place to shoot clays. I went out there one time and this guy had a double clay launcher. It was awesome cuz from where you shoot, its on a little hill so they go pretty far. It's fun out there.
Old 05-08-2009, 2:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
nope. if you go down on levee road and curve righ there will be a road the goes east and that's private property. There's signs posted in the places you arent supposed to be. just follow the signs if you wander, but if you really don't know just stick to the one place near the gate where everybody shoots, it's 100% legal there.
Ok, thanks. I'm going to scope it out next time I drive by. Won't shoot, yet, purely investigative.

Turby
Old 05-24-2009, 12:44 PM

just make sure you clean up your mess though if you go to the levee...
Old 05-24-2009, 8:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
just make sure you clean up your mess though if you go to the levee...
Absolutely. In fact, when I go by, I'm not even going for shooting - just to check it out.

Turby
Old 03-10-2010, 4:31 PM

Default place to shoot

Hey everyone. Got first handgun and trying to find a place to shoot it for free. I am thinking about going out to the spot in davis off mace and rd 36, anyone been out there lately. Please let me know.
Old 03-18-2010, 8:11 PM

BTT- I'm in Davis, and I'd like to know too.
Old 03-19-2010, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilonk View Post
We should have a Davis meet-up at a pizza place or something. A get to know your fellow CG-ers in Davis......we are not alone!! lol.
I'd be totally up for this! I live in West Sac and I'm craving some Woodstock's right now! Let me know!
Old 04-19-2010, 4:23 PM

Hate to bring up a month-old thread, but +1 for Davis area meetup!!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:15 AM

reviving a dead thread. Anyone still go out to these spots? anyone have spots in the area for some longer range shooting? I know there is the range but Im looking for farther than 100 yards.
Old 11-10-2012, 5:26 PM

I have been sent packing once by the sheriff when shooting at the Davis Levee. Some morons decided to shoot in the farmers field instead of on the north side of the levee and the farmer rightfully called the Sheriff who nicely told us all to leave. I even told the morons to shoot on the north side and they just told me to mind my own buisness which I did since they had 4 guns and I only had 1. They left so fast though that they left 3 target stands which I now own. God forbid the farmers tractor gets hurt by some metal target stands.

I did have abuddy get a ticket from fish and game, but he was down aways from the gate which is where I always shoot.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 PM

There is BLM Land up HWY 50 in Pollock Pines area.
Old 11-12-2013, 9:12 PM

reviving a dead thread! is there still non range place to shoot in Davis Now?! the area above mentioned are mostly non-accessible now( there are gates).
Thanks!
Old 11-13-2013, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

There is a group that shoots in Oroville, not too bad of a commute from Davis.

Nice, open range - to 400 Mtrs. No range master yelling at you.

There is an element of control with all the shooters, we call for a cease fire; everyone stops. Common courtesy.

We just had a big shoot Nov. 9, it was a "blast".

It's out by the airport off Rabe Rd.
Old 12-12-2013, 8:08 PM

Is the levee spot near the dump closed? Was thinking about heading out there on Sunday. Friend was there a few weeks ago with no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4