Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Bernardino Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 9:47 PM

Default What's the place called?

Hey everyone, I've been going to a shooting range down here in the Lake Matthews area for quite some time and I was wondered what the place actually was.
I know it's BLM owned land, and everyone goes there all the time.
It's in the hills of Lake Matthews, and it has a little creek in it. There's also a club out there called the Corona Sportsmen's Club, if you go all the way to the back of it, you hang a left, you can go to a long-ranged (really green) area, but a right goes to the club.
Also the creek is heavily shaded with trees and stuff?
I was wondering because I'm always over there cleaning it up after everyone trying to make it so it doesn't get shut down, and I'd like to organize a clean-up event. I was out there today after I went shooting, and myself, my dad, and my brother filled about 3 trash bags full of garbage.
I was wondering if this is the famous Steele Peak I keep hearing about.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 AM

Don't know the answer to your question but thanks for doing your part to clean up.

What is the NRA doing for YOU in YOUR local area? Click to find out.

"Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight" -2nd Samuel 10:12

Stop worrying about the zombie apocalypse, it ain't gonna happen. The moron apocalypse has already begun though.
Old 12-27-2013, 1:26 PM

Of course, when you care about something you take care of it so you don't lose it. I live by that motto (:
Uhm. I have some videos on my YouTube of the area.

This is the area by the creek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7xC0P9u9U
This is the other side, not facing the water. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BCZaQQmXXk

If anyone recognizes the area, let me know.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-30-2013, 6:28 AM

Actually the area you are referring to has become quite a dump. Many shooters go out there and leave their trash. The neighbors in the area are very concerned about this issue and are pressing local law enforcement to get involved. If something is not done soon, this area will be another example of why we are loosing shooting areas. If I.E. Calguns is interested, I will arrange for a dumpster to be delivered to the area for a clean-up.
Old 12-30-2013, 1:36 PM

I know many shooters leave their trash. Hell there's a half burnt ****ing boat out there. I picked up a lot of the fiber glass from that boat and threw it away. I just need to know the name so we can organize a cleanup. I don't want it to be shut down, it's a decent place. Next time I go shooting I'm bringing a rake and raking up a big area, where there's shotgun shells and a bunch of trash. I also want to clean up the creek a bit, because everyone leaves trash in there.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-30-2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky43 View Post
Actually the area you are referring to has become quite a dump. Many shooters go out there and leave their trash. The neighbors in the area are very concerned about this issue and are pressing local law enforcement to get involved. If something is not done soon, this area will be another example of why we are loosing shooting areas. If I.E. Calguns is interested, I will arrange for a dumpster to be delivered to the area for a clean-up.
PM sent, thank you for the offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjon96 View Post
I know many shooters leave their trash. Hell there's a half burnt ****ing boat out there. I picked up a lot of the fiber glass from that boat and threw it away. I just need to know the name so we can organize a cleanup. I don't want it to be shut down, it's a decent place. Next time I go shooting I'm bringing a rake and raking up a big area, where there's shotgun shells and a bunch of trash. I also want to clean up the creek a bit, because everyone leaves trash in there.
I coordinate with BLM on other clean ups, it does not sound like the same place where we have had clean ups before (Steele Peak) if this is BLM land I can get a BLM offiicer out there to keep the place cold and a bunch of Calguns volunteers can go to town on cleaning. Getting rid of large amounts of trash is always the problem, Corky 43 is very generous.
Old 12-31-2013, 2:23 PM

As far as I know it is BLM land, and I'm very interested in cleaning the place up.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-31-2013, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Just so you know, even if there are people on here who know of the place that you are talking about, they may be reluctant to actually name it or give any any other info. As soon as the masses find out about any free place to shoot it gets mobbed and destroyed. Although you apparently already have this going on at your spot, people will still not want to attract any additional attention. I do commend you once again for your efforts and I hope you guys are able to get something arranged for the clean up. Chknlyps is a pro at this.

What is the NRA doing for YOU in YOUR local area? Click to find out.

"Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight" -2nd Samuel 10:12

Stop worrying about the zombie apocalypse, it ain't gonna happen. The moron apocalypse has already begun though.
Old 12-31-2013, 7:11 PM

Ahh I understand, what if we privately organize a clean-up between a few well-known members if they'd like to help?

NRA Life Member
Old 01-02-2014, 11:27 AM

My offer will remain on the table. I have been contacted by I.E. Calguns clean-up coordinator. I agree, that publicity can lead to more abuse of the area. At this time the local residents have just about had it with the trash and safety issues. Hope we can help keep the Lake Mathews area open to public shooting, but it getting harder and harder.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Tagged. I'm in for a clean up
Old 01-03-2014, 10:09 PM

Tagged. I'm in. I was out there in the 1st. Such a sad, sad mess of things. I don't know if it's legal to shoot there even if it is BLM. I do know a Riverside police car was there and seemed to be stopping people from shooting. He might have only been there due to what sounded like automatic gunfire (could have been bump firing), too. I dunno. I'd hate to lose such a convenient to reach place.
Old 01-04-2014, 4:59 PM

@LowDive I go there all the time and I've never seen police out there. Are you sure we're talking about the same area? I've been going there for over a year now.

If we get a cleanup going, I can guarantee I can get three people. Me, my dad, and my brother. (If it's on a day my dad's off work), I might be able to get another person aswell.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by hjon96; 01-04-2014 at 5:02 PM..
Old 01-05-2014, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky43 View Post
My offer will remain on the table. I have been contacted by I.E. Calguns clean-up coordinator. I agree, that publicity can lead to more abuse of the area. At this time the local residents have just about had it with the trash and safety issues. Hope we can help keep the Lake Mathews area open to public shooting, but it getting harder and harder.
Let me know when you guys get... I'd like to help. Is this place free to practice as long as you clean up? My bro in law lives in the area so I'm always around Lake Matthews.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2014, 6:33 PM

If it's on a day I'm available, I would love to help out. This sounds like the area I took my family and my brother to on the 2nd. Seemed like a cool place to shoot but definitely needs a lot of help in the clean up department.
Old 01-06-2014, 5:26 PM

I'd be glad to hep with the clean-up,let me know.
Old 01-09-2014, 1:46 PM

PM me the date and time, as long as it's a weekend I can spare a few hours to help clean up.
Old 01-09-2014, 5:45 PM

I'm in as well to help clean up. I have a pick-up truck and shovels.
We need to mount a time lapse camera to find out who's leaving the trash so a fine can be submitted!
Old 01-09-2014, 8:11 PM

I'm very familiar with the area. I started out about 7 years ago riding off road then started driving my truck back to the creek for some range time. It is filthy and I always clean when I'm their. Haven't been in about 6 months and won't be back for a couple months. Hope it stays open.
P.s. A few years ago when I parked by the front out in the open a squad car came (sheriff) and told us to pack up and leave. That's the only time I had seen law enforcement.
Old 01-10-2014, 7:01 PM

Didn't even know this place was around and it sounds like it might not be for very long. Is it me or is it slightly scary that people that can't even wipe their own arses own guns?

Subscribed to this thread in the hopes that updates will be posted here. Keep us posted (pun intended). I'm in.
I know I'm gonna get got, but I'm going to get mine more than I get got though.
-Marshawn Lynch
Old 01-11-2014, 7:15 AM

You may want to check with BLM...Steele Peak is legal...they sent me map; I don't think that spot is legal...chk chk rechk
gb
Old 01-11-2014, 9:35 AM

Pm me for clean up. I'm in if available

--- Napoleon
Old 01-27-2014, 1:00 AM

Quote:
@LowDive I go there all the time and I've never seen police out there. Are you sure we're talking about the same area? I've been going there for over a year now.

If we get a cleanup going, I can guarantee I can get three people. Me, my dad, and my brother. (If it's on a day my dad's off work), I might be able to get another person aswell.

yeah, same area but you're going further into the hills. i'm guessing law enforcement may not go that far, only stopping at the first few areas that are just after the left turn to the private range. i'd hate to be the LEO who gets his car stuck in the dirt
Old 01-27-2014, 11:21 PM

I new to the area. Don't own a pickup but would like to help with the cleanup if one takes place and I'm available.
Old 01-28-2014, 9:44 AM

Hope it all works out for you guys. Shame to see your local spot get closed down. Damn trash dumpers
Old 01-28-2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive View Post
yeah, same area but you're going further into the hills. i'm guessing law enforcement may not go that far, only stopping at the first few areas that are just after the left turn to the private range. i'd hate to be the LEO who gets his car stuck in the dirt
There are dirt roads that their vehicles could get on without getting stuck.

NRA Life Member