Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-04-2015, 3:28 PM

Hopefully soon. I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard anything yet. Though a buddy of mine turned in all his paperwork the exact same day (within the hour actually) I turned in mine and hasn't heard anything yet either. So I'm guessing they're just REALLY back logged on applications.
Old 05-05-2015, 4:09 PM

I'm inquiring for a friend from Tulare County who is showing some interest in obtaining her CCW. For those individuals applying and receiving approval recently, would you consider Sheriff Boudreauxa to be a "shall-issue" or a "may-issue" sheriff?
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
-- George Washington

NRA & CRPA Life Member
Old 05-06-2015, 9:41 AM

He's very CCW-friendly. Shall-issue.

He spoke at a meeting of the Sportsmen's Association and said that if you have a clean record and aren't on drugs (illegal or anti-depressants) he would prefer you carried. I got my LTC in 10 weeks and that is only because they are processing so many apps now. Would have been closer to 6 weeks if it were 6 months ago.
Old 05-06-2015, 9:55 AM

I just got approved! I received the phone call a few minutes ago! I'm going to go pick it up in a bit!!!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM

Hip Hip!

HOORAY!!!!

So it is now taking about 11 weeks in Tulare County.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:19 AM

Haha yeah. 11 weeks and 5 days for me. I'm headed over there right now to pick up so I'll definitely let you know about the campus restriction.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:28 AM

I just picked it up a short while ago and I can personally confirm that there are no longer any school restrictions on the permit. The section with restrictions was blanked out with white out and the lady told me that it's because it's up to the schools to decide now.
Old 05-06-2015, 2:22 PM

So if you don't see a sign, you're gtg.
Old 05-10-2015, 7:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemani4u View Post
I just got approved! I received the phone call a few minutes ago! I'm going to go pick it up in a bit!!!
Congrats!

Be sure to encourage friends, family, shooting buddies, and coworkers who live in Tulare or other issuing counties to apply.

Also be sure to CCW whenever you visit the Bay Area.
Old 06-04-2015, 3:09 PM

I've recently moved to Tulare County from Santa Barbara County (good luck getting an LTC there!) and plan on applying post haste.

Quick question though: Is there a minimum residency time before applying? I've actually had rental property here for 30 years, but just changed my residence address a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: Tangent question: Sounds like Visalia Sportsmans Association is the best place to take the class? Are they the best shooting range in the Visalia area as well? I shoot mostly pistol, but break out the rifles once in a while as well. I prefer a place where I can move and shoot.

Last edited by BenW; 06-04-2015 at 3:13 PM..
Old 06-19-2015, 3:52 PM

Rankin field in Tulare has a second pistol range that they allow holster drawing and moving while shooting if you have done your ccw class there. Im sure if you talk with them and explain that your a ccw holder they would let your practice on that range.

A friend of mine moved from San Diego to the area and the sheriffs office told him there was no waiting time to applied as long as he has a valid prof of residency.

rankinfield.org is the ranges web address
Old 06-25-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenW View Post
I've recently moved to Tulare County from Santa Barbara County (good luck getting an LTC there!) and plan on applying post haste.

Quick question though: Is there a minimum residency time before applying? I've actually had rental property here for 30 years, but just changed my residence address a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: Tangent question: Sounds like Visalia Sportsmans Association is the best place to take the class? Are they the best shooting range in the Visalia area as well? I shoot mostly pistol, but break out the rifles once in a while as well. I prefer a place where I can move and shoot.
Visalia Sportsmen's Association is defo the best for taking the class. $60 annual membership and the class is included along with range access and other bennies like use of the clubhouse. The pistol range is pretty sparse though. Only two lanes and no rapid fire, drawing from holster or moving and shooting. We are going to break ground on expanding the pistol range to about 8 lanes but I don't think the rapid-fire, moving, drawing rules will change.

You can become an RSO and get a key for off days. Then you can pretty much whatever you want.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:41 PM

Thanks guys! I'll look at paying a visit to both ranges to check them out.
Old 08-06-2015, 8:08 AM

Just a heads-up to those of you who have a CCW in Tulare Co. already...

The School Campus restriction was lifted back in May I think. You can go to the office and get a new permit without the restriction printed on it. I did it yesterday and there was no charge. Their laminator was not working.
Old 10-20-2015, 4:27 PM

Is it still lifted after our lovely Mr. Brown just signed that new bill
Old 10-20-2015, 5:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.kevin View Post
He's very CCW-friendly. Shall-issue.

He spoke at a meeting of the Sportsmen's Association and said that if you have a clean record and aren't on drugs (illegal or anti-depressants) he would prefer you carried.
While that sounds good, I just went to their website and this is still their IMPORTANT CCW APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
UPDATE (2015 April 07): From IMPORTANT CCW APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS .pdf linked at: http://www.tularecounty.ca.gov/sheri...rms-documents/

Good Cause Statements

California Penal code section 12050 states in part that the CCW applicant must provide good cause which is defined as a Convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life, or of great bodily harm to the applicant, his/her spouse, or dependent child, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed firearm.
It would be great if one or more of you who live in Tulare got in touch w/the SO (or your point of contact during your CCW app process), and mention to them if they really want Good Guys to get CCWs, they should remove that old GC standard document and put something up saying that "'self-defense' is sufficient Good Cause for applying for a CCW" or similar. (IIRC, Sacto, Monterey, San Joaquin, Merced, and a few others have SD = GC statements posted on their websites.) Otherwise, law-abiding folks who go to their website, but not to CGN, will be dissuaded from even applying.

I won't even add a "thumbs-up" symbol to this thread since their website still states they have a highly restrictive interpretation of GC.

Last edited by Paladin; 10-20-2015 at 5:12 PM..
Old 10-20-2015, 5:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemani4u View Post
Seems like I forgot to ask: without giving so much detail so as to ID you, can you tell us what your GC statement was like? Did you use mere "self-defense"/"personal protection" or something more? If more, what was that like?
Old 10-20-2015, 5:39 PM

I have talked to the sherrif (at a NRA dinner) he told me and my wife (under age at the time) to go apply no cause needed. I applied 3 months before my 21st and go approved and my license a month before my 21st. I am a service tech and part owner of my family's business so my good cause was a little more in depth than (self defense)
Old 10-21-2015, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Seems like I forgot to ask: without giving so much detail so as to ID you, can you tell us what your GC statement was like? Did you use mere "self-defense"/"personal protection" or something more? If more, what was that like?

Verbatim, all I wrote was "Personal protection for myself and my family." That's more or less what my CCW instructor told us to put down on our applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2015, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Sorry to revive an older thread. I simply put "self-defense" for my GC statement and this was early 2014 time frame. Wait time from submission to actually picking up my permit was roughly 3 weeks.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:59 AM

Took 3 1/2 months to get permit. I applied in april and get it in middle of July.

GC statement: Personal protection for my family and I

I had a Fresno SO CCW before i moved to Tulare County
Old 11-09-2016, 10:03 AM

So what is considered a clean record in Tulare Co? I have a DUI conviction 5 years ago and a misd battery conviction approximately 17 years ago. No drug offenses, no domestic abuse or stalking. Both convictions have been expunged. I am a registered gun owner for home protection. Do I have a chance or will it be a waste of time / money? Does anyone know of any CCW holders with a not-so-perfect record?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 AM

Default Still waiting. Turned in apps in July 16

@jcas74.
Not an expert but they might frown on the DUI. It's not a waste of money if they don't say no. You could call the TCSO in Porterville substation and talk to Tiffany.
Shell be honest and up front with you. She handles all the CCW apps for the Southern county.

My wife and I turned in our Tulare County apps in July and we are still waiting as of today 11/23/16. We turned in our Arizona apps in August and got our AZ CCW's in the mail in 2 months.

You can apply for the AZ CCW by mail and it's good in all these states.
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Last edited by Mestisoboy; 11-23-2016 at 10:59 AM..
Old 11-27-2016, 8:54 AM

I've been seeing people on Facebook from Tulare Co. posting that the time is about 5 - 6 months right now.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:45 AM

Gosh, I thought the clerk was exaggerating the wait time. I just moved here from Fresno County, applied here in Tulare County. The clerk said it would take about 6 months.
Old 12-13-2016, 4:02 PM

On a brighter note, if you are renewing, my time line at the window was just under twenty minutes with the proper documentation-my current HSC, my soon to expire Tulare County CCW, a current CAL DL and a current vehicle registration-all of which (the HSC has no address) had my same current Tulare County address. In 'n out!
Old 12-16-2016, 7:49 PM

Default 6 month wait in Tulare County. Approved today.

Wife and I submitted our apps in early July. We got the phone call this morning and we were approved! So the wait time right now is about 6months.
For the good cause statement, all we put was "personal defense".
Sheriff Beoudreaux is a shall issue Sheriff.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:13 AM

I turned in my application for my CCW June 30, 2016. I received it today, 01-05-2017.

In case anyone from from Tulare county is waiting on theirs, here is a reference.

I put, "Personal Protection."
Old 01-05-2017, 8:53 PM

Wait time seems tinge pretty consistent at 6 months for the last year or so.

Old 02-14-2017, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
On a brighter note, if you are renewing, my time line at the window was just under twenty minutes with the proper documentation-my current HSC, my soon to expire Tulare County CCW, a current CAL DL and a current vehicle registration-all of which (the HSC has no address) had my same current Tulare County address. In 'n out!

Well that's good to know ahead of time. Sounds nothing like the
DMV process. LoL

Old 03-23-2018, 6:08 PM

Hi guys,

Anyone have any idea on recent wait times for Tulare County? I was planning on getting my CCW this summer so I figured I'd start looking into it now.

Just to clarify, I can start the application process with the Sheriff's Dept. to get that ball rolling while I take the CCW course. Is that correct?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
Hi guys,

Anyone have any idea on recent wait times for Tulare County? I was planning on getting my CCW this summer so I figured I'd start looking into it now.

Just to clarify, I can start the application process with the Sheriff's Dept. to get that ball rolling while I take the CCW course. Is that correct?
I can't comment on the current wait times, but you are correct about being able to start the process with the sheriff's department and then take the class any time between when you dropped off the application and when you get approved.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS600 View Post
I can't comment on the current wait times, but you are correct about being able to start the process with the sheriff's department and then take the class any time between when you dropped off the application and when you get approved.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks SMS600.

I'll get the ball rolling on the application process then take the class.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:37 AM

I turned in my application online on 04DEC2017. They have been working on it, but is not complete yet. 3.5 months so far. I'd get it in asap.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffpm102 View Post
I turned in my application online on 04DEC2017. They have been working on it, but is not complete yet. 3.5 months so far. I'd get it in asap.
Same here for me. I did my application online on December 18 2017. Last time I checked the tcso tracker it said the last time it was reviewed or a file was uploaded was on 4/2/2018 so I thought I was getting close. I checked it a few days ago now it says 1/22/2018. I am not sure why the time line are going backwards. It's going on four months for me. I hear that the time frames are 4- 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 8:18 AM

I recently went through the process of submitting my application on-line (3/23/18). An FYI for anyone who is renewing or applying for a new ccw you are required to do it on-line now. They don't allow you to print the application and walk it in anymore.

They told me the time line is about 2-3 months depending on your references. I am not sure how true that is but I know 2 out of my 3 references have received the stuff in the mail and have mailed it back. Just waiting on the third, from there though I am unsure how long it will take.

As for the CCW course I took it at the range I signed up with as they offered it for free as part of a regular membership so I already uploaded a copy of that certificate into the tracker. So here is hoping!
Old 05-15-2018, 7:36 AM

Got the call today that my permit was approved. For those of you wanting to know the time frame. My was 5 months from beginning to end.

Old 05-25-2018, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-559 View Post
Got the call today that my permit was approved. For those of you wanting to know the time frame. My was 5 months from beginning to end.

JP congratulations and thanks for that update!
Old 04-13-2019, 8:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The Tulare County Sheriff's Office launched a mobile app that let's residents do a multitude of things including renewing a concealed carry weapon license and reporting crimes.

<snip>

The app is available in the Apple Store and Google Play Store -- just search for "Tulare County Sheriff."
More at: https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/ne...ore/1797085895
Old 08-08-2019, 7:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tulare Sheriff has a few words for CCW holders.

https://abc30.com/5451614/

Tulare County Sheriff: Concealed weapons holders should 'exercise your rights' against active shooters
Wednesday, August 7, 2019 10:42PM

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Tulare County Sheriff Mike Boudreaux took to Twitter Wednesday evening, to encourage concealed weapons carriers to "exercise" their rights following the recent mass shootings.

Sheriff Boudreaux wrote, "I encourage all CCW holders in Tulare County to exercise your rights. Do so legally and only with a valid permit. Secure our communities and protect life by being able to defend ourselves against active shooters, threats to life and those who use guns for criminal behavior."
— Mike Boudreaux (@MikeBoudreaux4) August 7, 2019

The sheriff's tweet sparked debate from commenters. Some questioned how concealed carried weapons (CCW) holders would be differentiated from a gunman in an active shooter situation by law enforcement or by fellow licensed carriers.

Boudreaux responded, saying CCW holders have been taught how to interact with law enforcement and stressed the importance of CCW holders identifying themselves to other carriers in those situations.