Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

Default Camp Pendleton ops

Tonight my window was being shaken by artty from the base. I decided to see what the FTX schedule looked like. Apparently the 13th MEU, 1st Bat is doing training with the Japanese Self Defense Force?

I have my guesses what they might be gearing up for The Red Chicoms?

http://www.13thmeu.marines.mil/News/...fist-2013.aspx

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 01-29-2013 at 1:15 AM..
Old 01-29-2013, 5:20 AM

The Japanese Defense Force has been coming to the U.S. to train for years. It is nothing new. They are on Joint Base Lewis-McChord all the time. It makes sense if you think about it. Where else are they going to have massive amounts of area to train and maneuver. The Canadians come to the U.S. to train all the time as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 6:06 AM

Funny story about the Japanese defense force, years ago I did a joint amphibious assault training op with them and what ship did we use you might ask? Well obviously the best choice was to use the USN Pearl Harbor....I wonder if they felt weird boarding that ship? lol
Old 01-29-2013, 7:30 AM
Veteran Member

They have invaded the MCX and Panda Express. No need to be alarmed. I love when we get visitors and there is arty practice going on. It freaks them out.
Old 01-29-2013, 7:39 AM

Old 01-29-2013, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Plenty of them here at JBLM WA.
Old 01-29-2013, 5:04 PM

There always seemed to be JDF personnel on post at Pendleton. A variety of other nations as well.

Means literally nothing so loosen up your tin foil hats & go watch another video by the tool himself; nutnfancy LOL!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMFdevildoc View Post
There always seemed to be JDF personnel on post at Pendleton. A variety of other nations as well.

Means literally nothing so loosen up your tin foil hats & go watch another video by the tool himself; nutnfancy LOL!!!
Mean's nothing except the Chinese are upset about Japan having the Diaoyu Islands. And the comment about Nutnfancy really..?

Governments don't train together unless their is some kind of benefit, or something to be learned. If they are training for contingency plans for the Asia rim, then so be it.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 01-29-2013 at 8:12 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 8:13 PM

No doubt Tacit you are on the money... Wasn't taking a jab at you - I just like to toss out NF jokes whenever possible...

That guy has the "tactical" wherewithal of my 4 year old. I have a hard time listening to an alleged "pilot" ramble for 45 mins about "WROL". I tried to give him benefit of doubt, alas I cannot.

Not to be too tin-foil-ish... But I do have my reservations about the chicom reds, but in reality? They make WAY TOO much $$ with aide of trade / export to try and flex on us. "If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense"!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No doubt Tacit you are on the money... Wasn't taking a jab at you - I just like to toss out NF jokes whenever possible...

That guy has the "tactical" wherewithal of my 4 year old. I have a hard time listening to an alleged "pilot" ramble for 45 mins about "WROL". I tried to give him benefit of doubt, alas I cannot.

Not to be too tin-foil-ish... But I do have my reservations about the chicom reds, but in reality? They make WAY TOO much $$ with aide of trade / export to try and flex on us. "If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense"!!!
It's all good man. You wana know why that is? Nutnfancy was a Air Force National Guard KC135 pilot, he had the chance to become a fighter pilot but didn't. The guy lacked combat arms, and decided to make himself all tacticool'd out. He take videos of himself at the ' deployed location' before he revealed who/what he was. Talk about a tool bag.

True.... but I'll link you an article from the economist claiming China is pissed because, Japan is trying to nationalize those islands. We are in debt to China, if this were to happen considered that debt to be 'erased', we could always default since they become a enemy.

Or maybe nothing will come of this at all? It's alot of 'what if's'. Maybe defensive posturing..

http://www.economist.com/news/leader...ences-could-be

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 01-29-2013 at 8:33 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 9:22 PM

Yeah they need to have a larger force. I heard that they spend less than 1% of their GDP on defense so guess who's there to protect them?
Old 01-29-2013, 9:32 PM

If I'm not mistaken - Japan is still beholden to post-WW2 armistice terms. Only authorize to maintain a "self defense force" as opposed to a full fledged military.

Their "Navy" is about 14 small boats. LOL
Old 02-01-2013, 6:12 PM

The Japanese excercise is not what you heard. They do a bilateral excercise with us quite frequently. It's called iorn fist. What you heard was artillery being fired. Quite common and nothing to worry about. Louder just means they are practicing longer ranges with bigger powder charges that's all. Not sure where you're at but I live on the south end of the base and I hear it all the time. My dog doesn't even freak out anymore its so common.
Old 02-01-2013, 6:34 PM

it's the sound of freedom.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." Napoleon Bonaparte

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." (Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943.)
Old 02-01-2013, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sarge View Post
My dog doesn't even freak out anymore its so common.
I'm working out at Edson Range and everytime the arty starts going off, my coworkers DOJ service canine starts tripping. I started calling him "Shakey Jake". Small arms fire doesn't bother him at all, but those arty booms freak him out.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken - Japan is still beholden to post-WW2 armistice terms. Only authorize to maintain a "self defense force" as opposed to a full fledged military.

Their constitution actually stipulates they cannot have a full military, although as of late there has been talk of a constitutional amendment to change that.
Old 02-04-2013, 6:39 AM

In case we have forgotten we have a large military presence on both mainland and Okinawa. After WW2 Japan was not allowed to have a army capable of attacking another country. Same with Germany that's why the army is there. Any ways the JDF frequents Pendleton Just like the British frequent Lejeune. Anyone else remeber the Aussies at Mojave Viper? Forigners are always here. We help train them and they let us use their countrys as jumpoffs for our troops flying to other places, ports for the Navy to go to etc. Etc. There is talk of amending the JP constitution because JP wants us off their islands and they will need to have a force that can deal with the likes of North Korea. Doesn't look like a good deal for IUncle Sam because we will be leaving the 3rd ID in Korea with no ready backup from Marines. But our leader is doing a great job at tearing up the military and this country so I'm sure he will go for it eventually.
As for the ARTY missions all the time, my apologies. I have to train and get hazed just like everyone else in the USMC.
Carry on!

Last edited by gt40240; 02-04-2013 at 6:44 AM..
Old 02-04-2013, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
Tonight my window was being shaken by artty from the base. I decided to see what the FTX schedule looked like. Apparently the 13th MEU, 1st Bat is doing training with the Japanese Self Defense Force?

I have my guesses what they might be gearing up for The Red Chicoms?

http://www.13thmeu.marines.mil/News/...fist-2013.aspx
You haven't lived near base very long have you?
Old 02-06-2013, 8:18 PM

Sure do miss the sights of fast movers (A-4, F-4, F-18, A-6 and AV8's) and the sound of 1k & 2k lbs hitting the deck behind Camp Margarita, across from the MCAS. It was an air show every day back in the Go-Go 80's.
Old 02-06-2013, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I actually sleep better when the arty is throwing a party. Wife and dog....not so much.
Old 02-17-2013, 6:14 PM

that was literaly my howitzer being fired, along with the other 3 in my battery, think of it as us singing you the most powerful and destructive lullaby you have ever heard. as for the day time firing....i dont know what to tell you, but theres an order saying we cant fire past 2200 without a waiver from the base commander.
Old 02-17-2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Um, no:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...-Defense_Force

Their current order of battle lists 69 combatant vessels, including 21 submarines.

The JMSDF has only destroyer and frigate sized combatants but for a "frigate navy" it is very capable and advanced.

Many of their systems are more advanced than ours.