Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-28-2013, 6:14 PM

Thumbs up

Delete

Last edited by cope113; 07-28-2013 at 9:20 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 6:17 PM

It could also be the competitive nature of the time along with the current administration's feelings.

Sorry you were denied.
Old 07-28-2013, 6:37 PM

Perhaps a further county if your brother is close by.
Old 07-28-2013, 7:01 PM

I have two cousins that work in this department and they see my brother more than I do. This didn't seem to matter to the sheriff. I am currently applying for two different counties.
Old 07-28-2013, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Stuff like this, is what makes people give up during the hiring process. How can you be held accountable for another family members actions?

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 07-28-2013 at 7:44 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 8:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope113 View Post
I posted this in the wrong forum earlier so let's try again.

I was denied a jail deputy position because my brother is a convicted felon. My B.I. Said under any other administration I would have gotten the job. Comments? Opinions?
Okay you posted too little about your background to have anybody make a informed judgement. There are a lot of things that could come into play here

Having been involved in background investigations and stuff both as the one being investigated and the one doing the investigation I find that there are probably other factors here that are being omitted.

I would wanna know the details of the felony your brother convicted of, was he arrested and charged while he was maybe living with you? With something that maybe you couldn't be charged with but reasonably knew about? Does you brother currently live with you and thus if you were a deputy would potentially have issues with him being around your department issues weapons?

Most agencies also would never tell you the issue why you were not hired. You would just be given a form letter stating sorry you were not chosen. Very rarely does a background investigator advise you of the reason for not being hired. The reason being that your background investigation is confidential. You will never know what people said about you good or bad. As when they give you a reason they open you up issues that nobody wants to deal with.

But, if your truly were not hired because your brother was a felon then I would say that are lots of other departments in California that hired correctional deputies, etc. so go apply with them. Just chalk this experience up to the fact that if everything is true you should have no issue getting hired some place else.

Worst thing you can ever do in my opinion would be to make a big deal out of this. Law enforcement and companies don't want to hire people that make issues out of things. May not be fair but the way it is, so just let this experience go.

If everything is true for the reason for denial the next agency will pick up and your background will go faster as some agency has already done one and the new agency can review the old background.
Old 07-28-2013, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin101677 View Post
Okay you posted too little about your background to have anybody make a informed judgement. There are a lot of things that could come into play here

Having been involved in background investigations and stuff both as the one being investigated and the one doing the investigation I find that there are probably other factors here that are being omitted.

I would wanna know the details of the felony your brother convicted of, was he arrested and charged while he was maybe living with you? With something that maybe you couldn't be charged with but reasonably knew about? Does you brother currently live with you and thus if you were a deputy would potentially have issues with him being around your department issues weapons?

Most agencies also would never tell you the issue why you were not hired. You would just be given a form letter stating sorry you were not chosen. Very rarely does a background investigator advise you of the reason for not being hired. The reason being that your background investigation is confidential. You will never know what people said about you good or bad. As when they give you a reason they open you up issues that nobody wants to deal with.

But, if your truly were not hired because your brother was a felon then I would say that are lots of other departments in California that hired correctional deputies, etc. so go apply with them. Just chalk this experience up to the fact that if everything is true you should have no issue getting hired some place else.

Worst thing you can ever do in my opinion would be to make a big deal out of this. Law enforcement and companies don't want to hire people that make issues out of things. May not be fair but the way it is, so just let this experience go.

If everything is true for the reason for denial the next agency will pick up and your background will go faster as some agency has already done one and the new agency can review the old background.
Quick Question. I don't mean to threadjack. If one agency denies you and you have a paper trail, would the likelihood of the next house of cards tumbling down be more likely to result in a DQ?

In otherwords if a agency DQ a applicant. Wouldn't the next agency disqualify somebody with a previous DQ?

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 07-28-2013 at 8:32 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 8:40 PM

He was not living with me and has not. Since three years prior to the arrest. He was strung out on meth and I'm told he got picked up for ADW not a firearm. Possession. And robbery. I have only seen him a handful of time since he got off parole four years ago. My B.I. Was not allowed to share that. You are correct. He did not tell me. I have a few friends in the department and one of them is very close to the sheriff. They also know my brother. So I was not told by my B.I.
Old 07-28-2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
Quick Question. I don't mean to threadjack. If one agency denies you and you have a paper trail, would the likelihood of the next house of cards tumbling down be more likely to result in a DQ?

In otherwords if a agency DQ a applicant. Wouldn't the next agency disqualify somebody with a previous DQ?
Not necessarily. The 2 big things that follow, other than criminal activity, are lies and domestic violence incidents.
Old 07-28-2013, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post

No not necessary, it all depends on what the first agency found, What the issue was and how the second agency views it. It is not uncommon for a person to be not hired by one agency and hired the next time by another agency. I was not hired by a large central California sheriff's department for unknown reasons yet hired the next week by a small sheriff's department next door county.

That is why you apply at so many different agencies, I know people been turned down for drug use by 25 to 30 agencies and then had one finally take a shot on them.

There are certain offenses that will automatic disqualify for life for all agencies but there are other offenses and issues in your background that can be explained looked into and made better with time.

If I was doing your background the first place I would start would be the agency that DQ and see what the reason for. Then based on the reason either decide to DQ or dig deeper into your background. This is why it is so important to be truthful on your background and answer all the background and investigator questions honestly.
Old 07-28-2013, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin101677 View Post
No not necessary, it all depends on what the first agency found, What the issue was and how the second agency views it. It is not uncommon for a person to be not hired by one agency and hired the next time by another agency. I was not hired by a large central California sheriff's department for unknown reasons yet hired the next week by a small sheriff's department next door county.

That is why you apply at so many different agencies, I know people been turned down for drug use by 25 to 30 agencies and then had one finally take a shot on them.

There are certain offenses that will automatic disqualify for life for all agencies but there are other offenses and issues in your background that can be explained looked into and made better with time.

If I was doing your background the first place I would start would be the agency that DQ and see what the reason for. Then based on the reason either decide to DQ or dig deeper into your background. This is why it is so important to be truthful on your background and answer all the background and investigator questions honestly.

Thanks Benjamin and Falconis!

Good luck to the OP. Keep trying to get hired!
Old 07-28-2013, 8:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope113 View Post
He was not living with me and has not. Since three years prior to the arrest. He was strung out on meth and I'm told he got picked up for ADW not a firearm. Possession. And robbery. I have only seen him a handful of time since he got off parole four years ago. My B.I. Was not allowed to share that. You are correct. He did not tell me. I have a few friends in the department and one of them is very close to the sheriff. They also know my brother. So I was not told by my B.I.
Then apply at the next agency you qualify for and move forward. No sense in letting a bad agency decision ruin you. If you wanna be in law enforcement sometimes you have to over come and keep going on.

I would love to have somebody like you on my background list everything being the way it happened your stating. It would make my background on you so easy and cost my department less money and you would be ready to go quicker than a lot of the others

There are lots of jobs in law enforcement just keep applying