Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-07-2011, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
Preston had corruption evidence on Laurie Smith 2 years ago. What happened with that?
I'm curious as well.

Quite a few people wouldn't be too sad if US Marshals showed up at her office with a federal warrant.
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -- L. Neil Smith

Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
We're close to posting the approved GC statements for SC County.
It's been a bit over a month - are we any closer?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM

It would be great if this would coincide with the events from the "Any Updates on Cal-Guns fight against the High Cap magazine ban..." thread in the main 2A forum.

Getting a CCW with standard(high) capacity magazines in Santa Clara County would be quite the impressive feat.
Borrowed from joefreas:
”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Borrowed from The Shadow:
"Controlling crime by regulating guns is like controlling obesity by regulating the size of spoons." - Lou Gohmert (R) Congressman from Texas; Appeared on Fox News on 16 January 2011
Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monticore View Post
It would be great if this would coincide with the events from the "Any Updates on Cal-Guns fight against the High Cap magazine ban..." thread in the main 2A forum.

Getting a CCW with standard(high) capacity magazines in Santa Clara County would be quite the impressive feat.
Don't be greedy! One thing at a time, starting with Santa Clara County CCW!

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
Don't be greedy! One thing at a time, starting with Santa Clara County CCW!
Quite true. What's the use of a 15 round mag that I can only use at the range?

Can one of the people in the know respond back and tell us SCC CCW is 2 weeks away still? Just so we know we haven't been forgotten about.
Borrowed from joefreas:
”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Borrowed from The Shadow:
"Controlling crime by regulating guns is like controlling obesity by regulating the size of spoons." - Lou Gohmert (R) Congressman from Texas; Appeared on Fox News on 16 January 2011
Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM

Anyone been reading the "good cause" statements for other counties? I certainly haven't read them all, but I see a lot of "I own my own business, carry large sums of cash (or valuable equipment), and travel through bad parts of town at odd hours" type statements. I'm having a tough time visualizing how I would adapt most of these statements to my current situation.

For the majority of us who probably don't own a business and who probably live in a somewhat decent part of town and try to avoid the bad areas, I'm wondering if there will be a good cause statement that doesn't require some very creative wording....
Old 02-15-2011, 1:06 PM

jeeze, if we got reliable good cause statements in Santa Clara...

well, that would be super rad, but also totally awful! why? i'd have to buy or build a nice carry piece! i swear, you people are so shortsighted, don't you know there's an economic crunch on?!

- emilio
Old 02-15-2011, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio View Post
jeeze, if we got reliable good cause statements in Santa Clara...

well, that would be super rad, but also totally awful! why? i'd have to buy or build a nice carry piece! i swear, you people are so shortsighted, don't you know there's an economic crunch on?!

- emilio
I'm very interested in the next steps but I'm not so sure the publication of GC Statements automatically equates to you buying your carry piece. Somehow I think there will be more to it than that. I don't think Sheriff Smith is going to just start doling out CCW's!

I would like to hear from the conspicuously silent Brandon on what the next steps will be once GC Statements are available. Do we find one that was approved that hopefully is similar to our own situation and apply? And if we are rejected then sue? Or something entirely different. I just don't know.

PS: I think you are the shortsighted one. I already have my three carry pieces, ready to list on my application. What have you been doing the past few years during all the hype and build up?

Old 02-15-2011, 3:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm betting that Peruta screwed us because in that case, they ruled (in essence, as I recall) that "equal protection" as applied to the CCW process only works when both the written GC statement and the oral interview contain essentially the same things.

If there's no formal record of the oral interviews then the SD can claim, without any evidence, that what you said in your oral interview differs substantially from what was said in the oral interview of the person whose good cause statement you're using as a basis for yours. And since they're a law enforcement agency, I'm sure they will be taken at their word on that.

If there is a formal record of the interview, then as long as the record isn't a full recording of the interview itself, the information that gets recorded will be at the discretion of the interviewer, and that means the interviewer can ensure that what they record for your is not the same as what was recorded for the person you're using as a reference for your good cause statement.

No, I strongly suspect (but have no proof) that we're pretty much done in Santa Clara and other "stronghold" counties. I strongly suspect that Peruta put a spike through the heart of any "equal protection" challenges that might be brought forth.

That means we have to wait for Richards or some other case to hit the Supreme Court (you don't really think the 9th is going to rule in our favor in Richards, do you?). And even after that, as long as the Sheriff has any discretion, they'll use it against us. For instance, they may have to accept "self defense" as a good cause statement, but that does not mean that they can't refuse to issue on the basis of "good moral character". And Richards doesn't touch on that at all that I know of.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 02-16-2011, 8:36 AM
Banned

Then not to sound totally bitter (which I will), but here's hoping for cuts to the Sheriff's department similar to what's being talked about for the SJPD. Since they have no duty to protect us and won't let us protect ourselves then here's to hoping we get rid of most of them and maybe spend our money elsewhere...

Oh, and thanks Peruta. Thanks so much....
Old 02-16-2011, 9:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Only one problem with your statement, kc: You're assuming that all counties do personal interviews.
Old 02-16-2011, 9:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
I'm betting that Peruta screwed us because in that case, they ruled (in essence, as I recall) that "equal protection" as applied to the CCW process only works when both the written GC statement and the oral interview contain essentially the same things.

If there's no formal record of the oral interviews then the SD can claim, without any evidence, that what you said in your oral interview differs substantially from what was said in the oral interview of the person whose good cause statement you're using as a basis for yours. And since they're a law enforcement agency, I'm sure they will be taken at their word on that.

If there is a formal record of the interview, then as long as the record isn't a full recording of the interview itself, the information that gets recorded will be at the discretion of the interviewer, and that means the interviewer can ensure that what they record for your is not the same as what was recorded for the person you're using as a reference for your good cause statement.
Then you haul the licensee who was approved into court during a trial and examine, and you then haul the interviewer and their command staff who made the decision and you pull them into the witness stand.

That was, I believe, the critical mistake of the Peruta case, when there's facts in dispute, you always want a trial to flesh out the facts. This is why the Perry case involving Proposition 8 worked out so well for the plaintiffs, because they had a trial.

Brandon went into great detail in another Peruta thread about "giving San Diego enough rope to hang the plaintiff". That is precisely what happened there. Guillory v. Gates, at it's core, was about not being able to put the Sheriff and his employees on the witness stand to question about equal protection issues and oral interviews.

Quote:
That means we have to wait for Richards or some other case to hit the Supreme Court (you don't really think the 9th is going to rule in our favor in Richards, do you?). And even after that, as long as the Sheriff has any discretion, they'll use it against us. For instance, they may have to accept "self defense" as a good cause statement, but that does not mean that they can't refuse to issue on the basis of "good moral character". And Richards doesn't touch on that at all that I know of.
Richards actually does deal with good moral character. You're also forgetting the Nordyke factor.
Old 02-16-2011, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Then you haul the licensee who was approved into court during a trial and examine, and you then haul the interviewer and their command staff who made the decision and you pull them into the witness stand.
And get them during the questioning how, exactly? This all becomes a matter of "he said, she said", and statements by LEOs/LEAs are always given greater weight than those by ordinary people.

Quote:
That was, I believe, the critical mistake of the Peruta case, when there's facts in dispute, you always want a trial to flesh out the facts. This is why the Perry case involving Proposition 8 worked out so well for the plaintiffs, because they had a trial.
But a fleshing out the facts in a trial only works in your favor if the discovered facts are what you need them to be. Why do you think that is how it will play out, particularly when (a) the court will give greater weight to the statements of the LEOs/LEAs than to those of normal people and (b) the LEOs/LEAs have plenty of reason to lie through their teeth, and can get away with it as long as they're consistent with whatever happens to be on record?

Quote:
Richards actually does deal with good moral character. You're also forgetting the Nordyke factor.
At this rate, we're likely to have Constitutional carry here in California long before Nordyke actually gets decided.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

Old 02-16-2011, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Only one problem with your statement, kc: You're assuming that all counties do personal interviews.
I'm betting all the "stronghold" ones do, because they're going to do everything they can to make the process as annoying and painful as possible, and to give themselves as much excuse as possible to reject your application.

Interestingly enough, though, Santa Clara doesn't appear to be such a county. And that really makes one wonder what's holding things up there, doesn't it?

Old 02-16-2011, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And get them during the questioning how, exactly? This all becomes a matter of "he said, she said", and statements by LEOs/LEAs are always given greater weight than those by ordinary people.

But a fleshing out the facts in a trial only works in your favor if the discovered facts are what you need them to be. Why do you think that is how it will play out, particularly when (a) the court will give greater weight to the statements of the LEOs/LEAs than to those of normal people and (b) the LEOs/LEAs have plenty of reason to lie through their teeth, and can get away with it as long as they're consistent with whatever happens to be on record?
That's not the point. The point being is that in county where only the politically powerful have licenses, the same politically powerful individuals, who will get subpoenas hauling them into court to testify as to interactions with the sheriff's office when they applied for their licenses, will make phone calls to the sheriff's re-election campaign and demand that the sheriff settle or else they pull the fundraising for themselves, their friends and colleagues, etc. Unless they are true died in the wool anti-gunners, they want to protect their families as much as any of the "normal folk", and will not tolerate being questioned in court. That's probably one of the bigger reasons Brad Gates settled in Orange County.

Chess, not checkers.

Btw, the gathering of good cause data is independent of equal protection litigation (of which I'm not aware of any such litigation in particular with Santa Clara). Such litigations would have such good cause data, under seal with full names, whereas the CGF Initiative Effort purely wants the good cause out there without the use of names or other personally identifying data.

Quote:
At this rate, we're likely to have Constitutional carry here in California long before Nordyke actually gets decided.
Ye of little faith.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 02-16-2011 at 1:55 PM..
Old 02-16-2011, 2:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm betting all the "stronghold" ones do, because they're going to do everything they can to make the process as annoying and painful as possible, and to give themselves as much excuse as possible to reject your application.

Interestingly enough, though, Santa Clara doesn't appear to be such a county. And that really makes one wonder what's holding things up there, doesn't it?
Let's be clear here: The Peruta litigation has zero to do with the release of the redacted good cause. None whatsoever.

We're delving into a realm of speculation about equal protection, given the cryptic statements of Billy Jack in terms of his website and his "Do you know the way to San Jose". Let's make sure we separate out those issues in our discussions, OK?

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 02-16-2011 at 2:32 PM..
Old 02-16-2011, 2:50 PM

Quote:
I'm very interested in the next steps but I'm not so sure the publication of GC Statements automatically equates to you buying your carry piece. Somehow I think there will be more to it than that. I don't think Sheriff Smith is going to just start doling out CCW's!
absolutely, i'm just on the slippery slope of wishful thinking. baby steps, baby steps...

is there any use in applying now, knowing it will likely be rejected? that is, can we learn anything useful? is there a desire to have rejected CCW applicants from various socioeconomic and political backgrounds?

Quote:
PS: I think you are the shortsighted one. I already have my three carry pieces, ready to list on my application. What have you been doing the past few years during all the hype and build up?
lol, paying student loans! i have a suitable carry piece in that it's reliable and nasty things come out the front, but it's also a full-size 1911. mmm, but i could get an HK.45C or build a bobtailed commander 1911...

- emilio
Old 02-16-2011, 2:54 PM

Quote:
i have a suitable carry piece in that it's reliable and nasty things come out the front, but it's also a full-size 1911.

- emilio
In my experience full-size 1911's are not difficult to CCW whatsoever.

Get a good CCW carry rig and practice carrying it around in your home or wherever else it's legal to do so.
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -- L. Neil Smith

Old 02-16-2011, 3:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That's not the point. The point being is that in county where only the politically powerful have licenses, the same politically powerful individuals, who will get subpoenas hauling them into court to testify as to interactions with the sheriff's office when they applied for their licenses, will make phone calls to the sheriff's re-election campaign and demand that the sheriff settle or else they pull the fundraising for themselves, their friends and colleagues, etc. Unless they are true died in the wool anti-gunners, they want to protect their families as much as any of the "normal folk", and will not tolerate being questioned in court. That's probably one of the bigger reasons Brad Gates settled in Orange County.

Chess, not checkers.
That is a consideration in our favor, to be sure.

I can't say how likely it is that any such person is going to be willing to testify in court in order to keep their privilege "special", but I would imagine that the motivation to do so is significant. Possibly not as significant as the motivation to avoid testifying, however...

Remember that the sitting sheriff will be explaining to the politically powerful people in question that if he capitulates, they lose their "special" status as regards CCW. And those politically powerful people wouldn't want to be around a bunch of ordinary joes carrying firearms, now would they?

Quote:
Btw, the gathering of good cause data is independent of equal protection litigation (of which I'm not aware of any such litigation in particular with Santa Clara). Such litigations would have such good cause data, under seal with full names, whereas the CGF Initiative Effort purely wants the good cause out there without the use of names or other personally identifying data.
You appear to misunderstand why I tie the "good cause" initiative and "equal protection" cases together the way I do. In a "may issue" environment, the prospect (or, perhaps, outcome) of an "equal protection" suit is the only incentive an anti-gun sheriff would have to issue a CCW permit to a "non-special" person when said person's "good cause" statement is the same as that of one of the "special" people who have already been issued to.

Were it not for that, the sheriff would be able to deny the permit of the "non special" person even if that person's "good cause" were identical to that of someone who was issued a permit. Which is to say, the "sunshine initiative" can't do any real good without the "equal protection" teeth behind it. It can't help politically because sitting sheriffs are essentially undefeatable at the polls.

Unless, of course, there's something critical that I'm missing here...

Quote:
Ye of little faith.
History appears to be on my side on that one....

Old 02-17-2011, 5:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If & when they decide. I'm ready to apply... I'm also ready with my new Glock 39!

NRA Life Member
Respect is earned - Honesty is appreciated
Trust is gained - Loyalty is returned
Old 02-19-2011, 2:28 AM

I want

EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING
Old 02-28-2011, 4:10 PM
Veteran Member

$100.00 sponsored for Santa Clara.

Erik.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
jeeze, if we got reliable good cause statements in Santa Clara... well, that would be super rad, but also totally awful! why? i'd have to buy or build a nice carry piece! i swear, you people are so shortsighted, don't you know there's an economic crunch on?! - emilio

Would that be Emilio Castanan?
Old 03-04-2011, 2:51 PM

Somebody help me with my ignorance, but what exactly is the driving force causing counties such as Sacramento and perhaps even our county of Santa Clara to move to a "shall issue" stance on CCW? It's certainly not out of the kindness of their heart

Last edited by SiegeX; 03-04-2011 at 2:54 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post
Somebody help me with my ignorance, but what exactly is the driving force causing the dominos to fall so to speak that, causing counties such as Sacramento and perhaps even our county of Santa Clara to move to a "shall issue" stance on CCW?
The non and very limited issue sheriffs and chiefs of police are breaking the law and violating the Constitution, mostly the sections that have to do with equal protection and due process, but there are many other areas of violation/non-compliance.

Reading this http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...ccw-initiative should give you a start on all the issues involved.

Old 03-04-2011, 5:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We have good cause info in hand, but it will take a couple of weeks to redact and scan. Please stay patient - Santa Clara is on the radar.
Brandon, can you shed some light on what is going on? You wrote the above on 12/8, almost three months ago! I can't imagine it is taking this long to redact and scan especially when you previously thought it would take a couple weeks (by not saying 2 weeks you seem to have actually meant it).

I suspect you guys are holding the GC statements back for some reason. Can you let us in on the secret?

Old 03-04-2011, 6:57 PM

Alternatively, do you need more volunteers to work on redacting the applications?
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 03-04-2011, 7:02 PM

Hell, I work in Northern Santa Clara... I can't be far from the office.
x7
Old 03-08-2011, 9:11 PM

bump for update.

Bruce Lee
Old 03-08-2011, 9:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Brandon, can you shed some light on what is going on? You wrote the above on 12/8, almost three months ago! I can't imagine it is taking this long to redact and scan especially when you previously thought it would take a couple weeks (by not saying 2 weeks you seem to have actually meant it).

I suspect you guys are holding the GC statements back for some reason. Can you let us in on the secret?
Sorry for the delay, but you'll understand soon why I say that I can't comment much on this for now...

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Living in Mountain View, I just called to have the department mail me their CCW policy. Should I hold off following up with them directly until I see something posted here?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Not commenting directly on your question, plz do provide us a copy of what you receive... I also am in Mountain View and am well interested in what they claim their policy is.
x7
Old 03-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, but you'll understand soon why I say that I can't comment much on this for now...
Should we start getting our applications ready?
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 03-09-2011, 4:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Can you hint how soon "soon" is? Don't say two weeks.
Old 03-20-2011, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

Exclamation

Quote:
11-202
Requested By: relator Santa Clara County Correctional Peace Officers' Association, Inc.
Assigned To: Deputy Attorney General Taylor S. Carey

Question(s):

Are Laurie Smith and John Hirokawa unlawfully holding the offices of Sheriff, Undersheriff and Santa Clara County Chief of Corrections?
Legal Opinions Monthly Opinion Report (not yet published).

Erik.
Old 03-20-2011, 9:04 PM

Looks like they haven't published an opinion yet this year. Any idea on how long this usually takes?
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 03-21-2011, 8:01 AM

Quote:
It's been 2 weeks, out with it!

Seriously though, is CGF in possession of the documents or is the SO not providing them?

John 14:6
Old 03-21-2011, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
Legal Opinions Monthly Opinion Report (not yet published).

Erik.
Could someone elaborate on what this means for those of use that are not familiar with how these questions/opinions work. Was there more information or background that would have been submitted with this "question" which would establish some sort of legal question? Obviously, the submitters suspect/believe that there is something illegal about the situation, but it certainly isn't clear what that is based on the very general question. Are the legal requirements/qualifications for being the Santa Clara SO documented somewhere?

Tom
Old 03-24-2011, 4:58 PM

CGF Supported: Scocca v. Smith (Santa Clara Carry Equal Protection, Sunshine)
http://http://www.calguns.net/calgun...d.php?t=412790
Old 03-24-2011, 5:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
It's been 2 weeks, out with it!

Seriously though, is CGF in possession of the documents or is the SO not providing them?
And here you go: http://calgunsfoundation.org/news/169-scoccavsmith.html

We have the good cause statements, and they will be published shortly now.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.