Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-23-2010, 2:13 PM

Default Droid X?

I Have a 3g iphone and can upgrade to a Iphone 4 for $300 but I am seriously fed up with apples restrictions and short comings not to mention at&t's coverage. I'm going to give the new droid x a shot and seitch over to verizon. What do you all think about the driod x? Keep in mind that the extra size is a plus for me as opposed to a minus to some of you smaller folk. I have big mitts
Old 06-23-2010, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member

Seems pretty good like the EVO except without the 4G.
Old 06-23-2010, 2:29 PM

I think you're going to be extremely happy with it. The DroidX will be one of the most capable phones on the planet for some time to come.
You also have the benefit of this phone being based on an existing phone. That means Moto, Verizon, and Google have had time to work the majority of the kinks out of the platform, and really fine tune everything. The droid on it's own is an amazing phone - and the X version is just that much better...
Old 06-23-2010, 4:04 PM

Droid X looks very very good.

I have the Droid and I have never used the slide out keyboard at all. The onscreen keyboard is more than adequate and with Swype installed it's kickass.

I wish I had waited for the Droid X, the only problem I have with the Droid is that it's a brick and a half.
Old 06-23-2010, 4:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Looks big.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...le+Feedfetcher
Old 06-23-2010, 4:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
Seems pretty good like the EVO except without the 4G.
The 4G the EVO uses isnt too impressive, some 3G connections are faster. Wait until Verizon launches LTE 4G later this year (real 4G) and you'll be impressed.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-23-2010, 5:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
It is, the screen is larger than the EVO 4G. It's still pretty thin though.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...orola-droid-x/

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-23-2010, 5:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I am waiting to let them come out and circulate out there on either the iphone 4 or the Droid X. I am ready to pull the trigger once I get a better feel for them.

4G doesn't really matter to me right now.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 06-23-2010, 5:15 PM

didn't the evo had a fps problem? the iphone does have video conferencing (iono if that's a plus or not)

i'd wait til the droid 2 comes out and compare the two then make a choice...unless i have my info mixed up...
Old 06-23-2010, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Z_l View Post
didn't the evo had a fps problem? the iphone does have video conferencing (iono if that's a plus or not)

i'd wait til the droid 2 comes out and compare the two then make a choice...unless i have my info mixed up...
The iphone video conferencing only works if you're talking to another person with an iPhone 4....

As far as 'droid 2' - I believe this is kind of the Droid v2.
Motorola/Google/&Co seem to be following the iterative design approach.
Instead of infrequent but massive upgrades - they're releasing new products with new features more frequently, with major upgrades occasionally.

Apple releases 1 phone per year. All their efforts go into that one phone. If you buy it in June, and some new technology is developed in August - you have to wait until the following June to see if the new iPhone will have it.

With the approach Motorola is taking - if a new technology is developed, you could potentially see a new phone incorporating that technology in a matter of weeks/months, that's built on a similar platform (android). If that feature set is important enough to you, you have the opportunity to take advantage of it immediately (if you're willing to pay), vs having to wait for incorporation of that technology by Apple (on their time frame).

make sense?

In other words - I wouldn't wait to see what "Droid v2" looks like, because chances are there will be something available to blow it out of the water within weeks. The Droid has been out for 7 months, and it's already not even one of the top 5 phones on the market.
Old 06-23-2010, 6:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Z_l View Post
So does the EVO, and unlike the new iPhone you can use it over the cellular network instead of being limited to using it only over wifi.

Old 06-23-2010, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
The 4G the EVO uses isnt too impressive, some 3G connections are faster. Wait until Verizon launches LTE 4G later this year (real 4G) and you'll be impressed.
I work for verizon the telecomm side and you have no idea how right you are. That's one of the reasons I'm switching when I've seen AT&T cell sites that are filthy and have horrible security hell I've even been to one where the door was wide open
Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2010...pecsmackdown_1

I am looking forward to the Droid -X .
Old 07-01-2010, 9:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I think I'll give the Droid X a try as long as I can get one before Verizon fubars their data plans. Otherwise I'll see what T-Mobile is offering when my contract expires.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 07-01-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
It is, the screen is larger than the EVO 4G. It's still pretty thin though.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...orola-droid-x/

How so? They are both 4.3"
Old 07-02-2010, 12:23 AM

The weird battery hump on the backside causes me to raise an eyebrow, but aside from that, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot if I weren't already on a Droid Incredible.

Statements I make on this forum should not be construed as giving legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.
Old 07-02-2010, 1:23 AM
Veteran Member

Motorola is craptastic!
Old 07-05-2010, 7:20 PM

As someone who never had a real phone only use it for emergencies, it's going to be a huge learning curve to when I get my Droid X. Finally getting a smart phone, don't really need it that bad but really want it when I can fully utilize having a modern phone and internet on one.

My side job just gave me a small raise so it's going to be paying my high monthly bill, basically getting it for free.

Kind of wanted the incredible but like how the specs of the X are much higher in every way.

Was looking at a I-phone but with all the problems, and no flash which is a deal breaker.
Old 07-06-2010, 7:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Default Verizon Droid X Full Page Advertisement

Taking a swipe or two at the iPhone 4.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 07-06-2010, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

I have to say that having swype pre loaded is a great feature
Old 07-06-2010, 3:49 PM
Banned

if you are just looking at hardware the evo 4g has better specs and network if you are in the coverage area.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Blur (Ninja Blur?) < HTC Sense UI.

Try it out at Verizon, lots of complaints about the UI for motorola.
Old 07-08-2010, 1:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasma View Post
Blur (Ninja Blur?) < HTC Sense UI.

Try it out at Verizon, lots of complaints about the UI for motorola.
You can disable the MotoBlur UI. Just go to settings, applications, the motoblur app and then select 'Clear Defaults'. The next time you hit the home key on your phone a menu will pop up asking which UI you want to use (motoblur or the default), there are many in the Market to choose from.

Old 07-08-2010, 1:38 PM

From what Ive seen on Sprints website, 4g is not even offered in CA.

It is offered in other states.
Old 07-08-2010, 1:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_1 View Post
From what Ive seen on Sprints website, 4g is not even offered in CA.

It is offered in other states.
No big deal, Their WiMAX isn't really any faster then current 3G networks, the latency is better though.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

G4's Attack Of The Show gives the Droid X a 5 out of 5, calling it the best Android phone yet.

Video Review

Old 07-15-2010, 6:48 AM

Release day!

If you can wait the extra day (free overnight shipping if you order online) order it online because the $100 rebate for a new 2 year contract is instant. If you go into the store, it's a mail in rebate in the form of a visa gift card. When I went into the store yesterday, the reps said they would move up someone's new every 2 year or annual upgrade if it's within the year if they get a Droid X. Verizon is pushing this phone pretty hard.
Old 07-15-2010, 6:57 AM

the droid x will be great i have the droid n havent had issues with it so the droid x with the "kinks worked" (as they say) out will be great1

also what good is 4g if you cant get service? i rock 3g with no service issues. even have service at parker dam floating up n down the river lol!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have to say that the x is look good now.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:18 PM

I just got home from picking up a couple of new DroidX's for the wifeinator and I.

Adios you, iPhone 3G and that God-awful iTunes! I will not miss you!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 PM

The Droid X is at the top of my list....I can't wait to drop kick my POS Storm into the river....

Last edited by vf111; 07-15-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't like that Motorola made it so that it will self destruct if you mod it. No Cyanogen Mod on this one And by self destruct I mean it will brick the hardware.

Old 07-15-2010, 8:05 PM

Quote:
I don't like that Motorola made it so that it will self destruct if you mod it. No Cyanogen Mod on this one And by self destruct I mean it will brick the hardware.
Not quite:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...bricked-phone/
Old 07-15-2010, 8:09 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

This phone is actually really, REALLY good. It's the first phone I've had in four years that I like as is without having to either install a ROM or heavily mod it in some other way.

But...holy crap, file transfers are ridiculously slow. I can push and pull 7 Gigs on and off my HTC TP all day in about fifteen minuts. On the Droid, it's going to take like two hours. Blargh.
Old 07-15-2010, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't like that Motorola added additional encryption either, but it will be hacked...it's just a matter of time. And bricking is not likely, regardless of the activation of eFuse.

Unlike the Milestone, which has a relatively minor following and dev community compared to the US, the Droid X already has a major following. The Cyanogen Mod crew has not said they will not work on the X. They just haven't yet because they haven't got their hands on one. At least that's what is being reported over at DroidForums.

Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Saw this on FB and had me busting up! LOL!

<<removed for language>>

Last edited by jmlivingston; 07-16-2010 at 8:58 AM..
Old 07-16-2010, 7:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Funniest video ever! So true. Looks like my plan is up next month and the Droid X is coming my way.
Old 07-16-2010, 8:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That video is epic
Old 07-16-2010, 10:02 AM

Heres mine pics taken from an iphone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (87.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (88.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (88.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (87.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-16-2010, 2:55 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

It really is a great phone.

The battery life, however, is ATROCIOUS.