Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Default STOP HOARDING AMMO!!

Hey Everyone,

Just spoke to one of my friends which of whom works for a reputable ammo manufacturer. Basically, ammo is still being produced in the same numbers as it has historically, however, hoarders are the reason to blame for this "Shortage". People need to refrain from purchasing such large amounts of ammo and storing it as if they are going to go to war. Those people which of whom are hoarding are throwing off and fabricating a shortage that should not exist. Prices are at an all time high and hoarders are promoting this behavior by buying all the ammo they can possibly get their hands on.

This is just a public service announcement to let people know who is really causing this so called shortage. Also, AWB has fallen out of senate and put on the back burner by the democrats. So, no more scare of an AWB for now.

Lets all stop buying everything and let the market settle back down.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Will do

Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

You should have stocked up sooner. Stop complaining about it and deal with it. Johnny Come Lately's are going to pay the high cost, or do without. You are asking others to stop hoarding so you can..
Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleeocinca View Post
You should have stocked up sooner. Stop complaining about it and deal with it. Johnny Come Lately's are going to pay the high cost, or do without. You are asking others to stop hoarding so you can..
Honestly, I purchase ammo directly from the manufacturer. I get wholesale prices regardless of the environment. I just wanted to help regular joes out and point out a flaw in the current ammo market. Ammo should not be this expensive! Retail stores are making a great margin on all they sell. Turnover is unbelievable right now. Also, many of you might know this but certain stores are participating in this so called "Shortage" and only releasing ammo little by little. Its a mind game guy, the less you see on the shelves the more you will be inclined to buy at high prices.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:50 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocog2181 View Post
Honestly, I purchase ammo directly from the manufacturer. I get wholesale prices regardless of the environment. I just wanted to help regular joes out and point out a flaw in the current ammo market. Ammo should not be this expensive! Retail stores are making a great margin on all they sell. Turnover is unbelievable right now. Also, many of you might know this but certain stores are participating in this so called "Shortage" and only releasing ammo little by little. Its a mind game guy, the less you see on the shelves the more you will be inclined to buy at high prices.
you use the generic "you" pretty loosely... I don't buy high at all... I haven't bought since the panic. Mind games don't work with me (and I'm not the only one).

Fortunately I hoard when prices are low. IMO, that's the logical thing to do. Also IMO, anyone hoarding at current prices are plain stupid - but anyone that was logical (and hoarded at low prices) aren't affected anyway.

So really the current condition is a way to teach the ignorant to be more logical next time.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Either stop bragging or share on the prices.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 03-19-2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitravis View Post
Either stop bragging or share on the prices.
Can't. But I can say that it is around 1/2 off MSRP.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Im calling BS unless your an FFL. Post an invoice but block out the names.
Old 03-19-2013, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Does ammo even have.a keystone (double) markup?
Old 03-19-2013, 5:47 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
anyone can "say" that...

if it's on the internet, it must be true.
Old 03-20-2013, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I purchase ammo directly from the manufacturer. I get wholesale prices regardless of the environment.
Well, if that's the case. You should do a group buy and hook all of us Calgunners up!!
Old 03-20-2013, 6:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Just spoke to one of my friends which of whom works for a reputable ammo manufacturer. Basically, ammo is still being produced in the same numbers as it has historically, however, hoarders are the reason to blame for this "Shortage". People need to refrain from purchasing such large amounts of ammo and storing it as if they are going to go to war. Those people which of whom are hoarding are throwing off and fabricating a shortage that should not exist. Prices are at an all time high and hoarders are promoting this behavior by buying all the ammo they can possibly get their hands on.
Interesting your friend can see end-user sales after the ammo goes from maker to distributor to store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
That's the problem. More and more people are starting to get into shooting so production has to increase in order to meet the increased demand.
There are far more existing shooters who don't understand history and pricing than new shooters. Add basic ignorance to the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopoke View Post
Well, if that's the case. You should do a group buy and hook all of us Calgunners up!!
I'd buy, but only if the whining stops. Which it won't.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleeocinca View Post
^^^^^^^+1
God Bless The USA
Lets Go Brandon!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 AM

I agree. Stop hoarding I cannot even find ammo to shoot. My weekly range trips are down to monthly range trips.

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined. ~George Washington

Sign and fight - Defend our right to bear arms
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

I stocked up.. My range trips have not changed.. Thank god for my

People can hoard if they want.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKX View Post

People can hoard if they want.

Why is this in the handgun section? Stop littering.

-Freq
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't hoard. If the price is right I will buy it.

Cant its my only sport and we shoot not hoard!

How 'bout this. Don't tell people what to do.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM
King- Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown View Post
With all due respect. Didn't you just do that? OP wrote "don't hoard", you wrote "don't tell".
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
With all due respect. Didn't you just do that? OP wrote "don't hoard", you wrote "don't tell".
SMH.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown View Post
Bingo!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

This is just a public service announcement to let people know who is really causing this so called shortage. Also, AWB has fallen out of senate and put on the back burner by the democrats. So, no more scare of an AWB for now.

That's the problem. More and more people are starting to get into shooting so production has to increase in order to meet the increased demand.

Oh, and btw...I'm going to keep hoarding 'til the day I die.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That's the problem. More and more people are starting to get into shooting so the supply has to increase in order to meet the demand.

Oh, and btw...I'm going to keep hoarding 'til the day I die.
Again, im not saying this to discourage anyone. Im just saying that if everyone nationwide takes a break on ammo purchase for a month to let supply catch up ammo can be hoarded at much lower prices. You have to let the market catch back up. The more inventory a store has sitting on its shelves the lower the prices will be.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Again, im not saying this to discourage anyone. Im just saying that if everyone nationwide takes a break on ammo purchase for a month to let supply catch up ammo can be hoarded at much lower prices. You have to let the market catch back up. The more inventory a store has sitting on its shelves the lower the prices will be.
I was just kidding. I experienced this same shortage in 2009 so I got into reloading to be better prepared. But even components were scarce. I remember paying $60 for 1k large pistol primers and I thought it was a good deal.

If I had to guess, the madness won't really end until 2015. That's when you should stock up for the next shortage of 2017.

Last edited by teflondog; 03-19-2013 at 12:07 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I was just kidding. I experienced this same shortage in 2009 so I got into reloading to be better prepared. But even components were scarce. I remember paying $60 for 1k large pistol primers and I thought it was a good deal.

If I had to guess, the madness won't really end until 2015. That's when you should stock up for the next shortage of 2017.
my dad who's been shooting since the 80's said the same thing.. give it about two years. it'll come back to normal. unless of course they put purchase restrictions on ammo
Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

hahah. sorry you didn't prepare. Personally I still only buy ammo if its a good price, but I like to see people waste their money on overpriced stuff, that way when prices come down they won't have money to buy it and I can.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 03-19-2013, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
A month? You really think that 1 month is all that is needed to fill all of the retailers and distributors that have been wiped out of all their inventory?

The current problem is not hoarding. That was happening before this Sandy Hook panic. You could not hoard if you wanted to right now. Not only is it almost impossible to find ammo but even when you do there are limits on how many boxes you can buy.

The so called "hoarders" are the smart ones that are still shooting regularly with their pre-panic priced ammo.
Old 03-19-2013, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor*Cal View Post
A month? You really think that 1 month is all that is needed to fill all of the retailers and distributors that have been wiped out of all their inventory?

Indeed.

That being said there's another factor at work on all of this; in non-liberal states the ammo situation is improving. There's still limits on how much one can buy but thing ARE easing up.

To compare, the situation in California and other gun control strongholds will only deteriorate with time. The antis have made it clear ammunition is one of their targets , and folks logically will buy every bullet they can get before Big Government shuts down the party with fees and permit denials. Ammo in California by this time next year will be cheap and plentiful; because only the brave and the elite will be legally permitted to buy any.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 03-20-2013, 5:26 PM

Quote:
I know I am late to this post but why is it that people are hoarding ammo and stores have inventory. I like to increase my "inventory" and rotate it just like stores. I am not a hoarder!
Old 03-20-2013, 5:41 PM
Made in the USA

*sing to Dr. Pepper '70s commercial theme song*

I'm a hoarder, he's a hoarder, she's a hoarder, we're all just hoarders - wouldn't you like to be a hoarder too
Old 03-24-2013, 7:06 PM

Default 1,000 Rounds does not a hoarder make....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn32 View Post
I know I am late to this post but why is it that people are hoarding ammo and stores have inventory. I like to increase my "inventory" and rotate it just like stores. I am not a hoarder!
I am not hoarding, I am stocking up.
Old 04-19-2013, 7:00 AM

Quote:
It's not more people are getting into shooting, it's more people are buying ammo to profit. People who don't even own guns are buying ammo at Walmart's, etc. then selling it in the parking lot for double or triple! I know of one guy who makes an extra $500 a week doing this! Don't buy from the scalpers! Let them have it and sit on the stuff till they give it away because they can't use it!
Old 04-19-2013, 5:42 PM

At our local Wal-Mart it's a feeding frenzy everytime they get ANY ammo in. There's a three box limit no matter what you buy. When the doors open, all the same chowderheads run for the sporting goods section, buying whatever they can get their hands on. I just stand back and smile because I "horded" my ammo long before the current shortage. Like some others I have enough stock to ride out the current "shortage"
Old 04-20-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudog View Post
I just stand back and smile because I "horded" my ammo long before the current shortage. Like some others I have enough stock to ride out the current "shortage"
word. I chuckle at the 3-5 people standing at the walmart ammo shelf whenever I am there buying other stuff. They all have a 'lemming' look on their face, like someone popped their balloon. I also noticed the clerk answering their questions had a little chip on his sholder the last time I was there... like he has some sort of power over people who really want to buy ammo.
I'm still opportunistic. If I see some 9mm or a brick of 22 that is not at silly prices I add it to my collection.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM

Buy it cheap, stack it deep. You have no one but yourself to blame for not having a healthy supply on hand. On the other hand, if it's an SHTF situation and you need a forklift to move your cache, you're doing it wrong.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Can you hear and understand what you're saying?

I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...