Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Default Security next to the bed

OK, so I'm looking at quite a few options for lockboxes to be mounted on the bed frame or nightstand to house my "protection" through the night. Not sure what would work best for fairly high security plus easy access in the middle of the night by me.

What do you use/like to keep your weapon nearby at night?

CalvinH

P.S. I know some just keep it under a pillow or in the drawer, but that is not safe enough in my view.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM

I've been eye balling this one I keep seeing at Turners it has a biometric thum reader hold 1 hand gun and can be mounted on the bed frame or comptuer/reloading desk. Ill try to find a link for it after work.
Old 05-04-2013, 1:00 PM

I use a small Harbor Freight safe. It has a fingerprint scanner and a key pad. And doubles as my nightstand. It has 2 shelves inside that I lined with felt and can hold several guns.
Old 05-04-2013, 1:12 PM

No small people in our house. Just the wife and I. For that reason my Glock is on the night stand next to the cell phone and the LED flashlight. Glock has a full mag one in the chamber with a 15 round mag reload on the dresser.
The safey part is between my ears.
Old 05-04-2013, 2:28 PM

I have the DAC sport safe, it's similar to the Gun Vault - a little cheaper but the locking mechanism seems to be slightly better built. If you buy something that is electronic/biometric make sure it has a key override capability.

I built two shelves to mount above the night stands. My nightstands are movable, these shelves and gun boxes are not moving without giving up a fight.
Old 05-04-2013, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
No small people in our house. Just the wife and I. For that reason my Glock is on the night stand next to the cell phone and the LED flashlight. Glock has a full mag one in the chamber with a 15 round mag reload on the dresser.
The safey part is between my ears.
I use the drawer next to my bed for pistol, mags and flashlight The long arms are in the safe. The biometric safes are probably the best bet though it's for prying eyes more then say a safe which keeps people from stealing your weapons.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 05-04-2013, 7:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Take a look at these sites. It may help you narrow down your choices.

http://www.gunvault.com/

http://www.sentrysafe.com/HDC/Quick_Access_Pistol_Safe

http://www.libertysafesofsanjose.com...FQ9dQgod-jYApg
Old 05-04-2013, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

I have one of these next to my bed bolted to a big dresser, I can get into it in 2 seconds.

http://www.shotlock.com/1911.asp
Old 05-05-2013, 5:30 PM

I use the V-Line wall safe as it has a mechanical lock no need to worry about batteries failing at the worst possible time. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367803836.965749.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2013, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

yup I seen some of those that's probably the best bet short of a large expensive safe. Anchors to the studs right?

George Orwell

Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM

I've been eyeballing the FAS-1 Safe. I like the mechanical lock, the self-lifting lid, and the vertical profile.

Last edited by SilentPea; 05-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: fixed link
Old 05-06-2013, 8:14 PM

Yep, 2 lag bolts on each side into studs. It is capable of holding a full size handgun extra mags and flashlight with room to spare.

Old 05-07-2013, 6:36 AM

That "fas1" looks strangely similar to my Titan Gunvault. It locks up my glock with weapon light and spare mag.
Old 05-07-2013, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger13 View Post
That "fas1" looks strangely similar to my Titan Gunvault. It locks up my glock with weapon light and spare mag.
Indeed it does look very similar. I too a quick look at the specs pages, and the Titan looks to be a bit smaller, and lot lighter (10lbs vs 24lbs) Titan claims 14ga steel, FAS1 claims 3/8inch or roughly .18 vs .08 inch thick plate.

The cool thing about the FAS1 is the gas cylinder that opens the lid for you. That appeals to my gadgety side.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremont lapua View Post
I use the V-Line wall safe as it has a mechanical lock no need to worry about batteries failing at the worst possible time. Attachment 230327

Very nice fremont what was the price on that? I think the only other one I liked was the smaller costco safe for $479. Price is still a little much for me but decent as far as form and such. The wall mounted shotgun shotlock is cool but it doesn't fit the shoulder stock +Pistol grip.

http://www.costco.com/.product.11609...rySiloedViewCP

http://www.costco.com/Sentry%c2%aeSa....11755536.html

George Orwell

Last edited by negolien; 05-07-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 AM

V Line wall safe is $239 at the safe place.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Fort Knox simplex handgun safe or a Gunvault.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

I keep my G19 under my pillow when I hit the rack. jkin.

I have a safe in my closet the remains unlocked and open while I am home. Safe is locked and secured when I leave the house.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 PM

TV Tray that holds my cell phone my 1911 and an extra mag.
I have no small children they are both adults and no grand children.
My dogs watch it all day and I have the night shift.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhabts26 View Post

There you go. Same with me but on the night stand. I don't need a night stand vault,small safe bolted to the night stand/head board,gun in a drawer BS. During the day its on my person or within arms reach. If I need a shotty or rifle then I go to the gun safe
Old 05-07-2013, 3:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhabts26 View Post
Please secure your firearms when you're not home, we don't need the antis getting more fuel. You'd be surprised how ineffective most house dogs are.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-07-2013, 3:51 PM

Consider the V-Line Tactical Top Draw. It bolts into a drawer, and has an easily programmable, five push button mechanical lock that does not require batteries. Holds gun, extra mag, and more. And you don't ever have to worry about the batteries going out.
Old 05-08-2013, 3:18 PM

Simplex locks are my favorite. Quiet and very quick.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default FAS1

Really like my FAS1. If you want to have faster access while sleeping, you could enter all but the last number of the combination before going to sleep. Then you press one button turn and it pops up. For that matter enter the combo and if needed turn the knob and it pops up.

Very heavy for its size. When you close the lid it is locked. When I looked at the Ft Knox you had to turn the knob to lock it. That was my second choice.
Old 05-20-2013, 8:56 AM

I've narrowed it down to the FAS1 and the V-Line TopDraw. Both have simplex locks, both seem secure enough for my needs. Mounting it to the bedframe will likely be the deciding factor:
a) For the FAS1, I would drill holes into the wood frame (and the safe) to bolt it onto the outside of the frame (near the headboard, of course). Open the lid and the 1911 pops up, ready to go. On the minus side, the box is readily visible upon entering the room (if guests come over, there is often a desire to see the view from the deck off the master bedroom).
b) For the V-Line, I would mount it to a board secured to the bottom of the frame. Open the lid and slide out the drawer and the 1911 is there, ready to go. With the bedding, it would be out of sight from any visitors.

Last edited by CalvinH; 05-20-2013 at 9:00 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 05-20-2013, 9:32 AM

I bought a V-Line Top Draw and love it, but thought it was a little too hard to open in the dark half asleep, so I switched to one from here http://9gproducts.com/ I have the standard size which is big enough for 2 large handguns and extra mags and a flashlight with room to spare, but the new single size safe looks very interesting also. I did get the AC adapter with it because it works twice as fast rom AC as it does from battery.

I prefer to buy products made in the US when I can and both these brands are made here. V-Line is even made here in CA down in Camarrillo.

Robert A. Heinlein

NRA Life Member