Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Default Expectations of a guided quail hunt

Quails basically done so I thought I'd ask this question now so it won't look like I'm attempting to drum up business.

So the question is, what would you expect from a guided quail hunt? I have done a few this year and I've noticed that the expectation from hunter to hunter is quite different.

What I've been doing is putting my hunters in areas where I know the birds are. I will position them at an area and have them work it until they have covered the area. I pick them up and take them to the next area where birds have been and start over. If they chase the birds off I will position them again and have them push the birds back. I have been pretty successful doing this and have been able to have hunters limit on a single covey of birds simply by cutting the covey off and positioning the hunters and their shots so that the birds stay in shootable areas.

But I've noticed that many hunters want me to drive them from one covey to the next so that all they have to do is jump out and shoot. Some of these hunters have their own bird dogs. They would just leave them in the rig an only pull them out to find birds that fell that they couldn't find. Am I confused? Wouldn't you want to work your dogs?

Anyway, what would you expect from a guided quail hunt?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, you've done 85% of the work. The hardest part of quailing is finding them. When you bust them it's one and twosies time. I guess it would be hard for a first time hunter to understand this, but I think you've covered it really well. Maybe a pre talk to the hunter about the "flush flinch" when quail hunting, choose a single bird and follow it to the ground when shot.
I still firmly believe that the majority of California hunters aren't hunters, just adrenalin junkies interested in the notion of hunting.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 PM

Sounds like your doing a great job in my book... I've never hunted Quail with a dog,, so covering ground and hunting them up is what i'm used to... Being put in the right vicinity ,, shown the way ,,, and picked up afterwards would make my hunt !!!! ... Cheers...
Old 01-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

I've wanted to go on a guided quail hunt. Maybe next season. I would like bring my own dogs (Brittany's). Thats why I have 7 of them. My expectations are rather simple. Let's get out and walk and do some hunting. The guide does his best to put me in the right area and then it's up to me. Even if we don't get many or any birds just being out there working the dogs is meeting my expectations.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would expect you to drive me around to find coveys that i could shoot from the rig. I would expect you to run over and find them and bring them back. Upon completion i would also like you to pluck them whole without tearing the skin, clean them and put them in seal o meal bags. A little dry ice would be nice for the trip home too.

Don't forget our beer either (on ice) its expected so i don't dehydrate watching you fetch the birds.
Old 01-29-2014, 2:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I would expect you to drive me around to find coveys that i could shoot from the rig. I would expect you to run over and find them and bring them back. Upon completion i would also like you to pluck them whole without tearing the skin, clean them and put them in seal o meal bags. A little dry ice would be nice for the trip home too.

Don't forget our beer either (on ice) its expected so i don't dehydrate watching you fetch the birds.
Ouch! That's cold.
It's one thing to have him do the hard work of birding, but to provide and serve you the cold beer. Almost unforgivable.
Old 01-29-2014, 2:37 PM

I would want you to drop me and my dogs off in a good area and let us hunt for 1 hour and then check back in. Bringing fresh water would be nice.

Make some adjustment and let us go again.

Send me a PM for next year.
Old 01-29-2014, 3:33 PM

The answer would depend on how much the guide was charging.
Old 01-29-2014, 3:50 PM

Where are you guiding?

Your first scenario sounds good. If I were to hire aguide I would expect them to get me to the birds. Shooting them is my responsibility.

Last edited by karstic; 01-29-2014 at 3:55 PM..
Old 01-29-2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Where are you guiding?

Your first scenario sounds good. If I were to hire aguide I would expect them to get me to the birds. Shooting them is my responsibility.
I'm taking my guys to a few ranches in monterey and San benito county. Same places I do the hog hunts.
Old 01-29-2014, 8:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Guided Wild Quail Hunts In Central California, Shay Balesteri 831.594.1270

Brought to you by Bigquailstopper

Ha Haha ha ha ha buwahahahaha
Old 01-29-2014, 8:38 PM

Quail is the only bird I love hunting for. They taste good and give you a work out. I never owned a dog so I always hoofin it to get my birds.....shoot one or two at a time works. Usually get a limit by noon. Now gotta understand I don't shoot the birds because it's season . I shoot some for the table and my last ten years of kill is less then 50. I could shoot a limit every day but that is not what I beleive.
Old 01-29-2014, 8:42 PM
In Memoriam

Love quail hunting but never been good at it.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 01-29-2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Brought to you by Bigquailstopper
Lol.
Old 01-29-2014, 9:51 PM
CGSSA Associate

You should know where the birds are and where they go once flushed.

Some bird dog guys have dogs that go hundreds of yards point a bird but the bird runs off before the hunter can get there. That could be why or if you have foxtails people can panic.

In Baja we use pushers and blockers with dogs. The guides walk with the pushers and dogs. They point out the quail where they will flush and have blockers in the path of the flushing quail.

Some people think it's just flush and shoot some like the chase and some need help just to knock one down.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 PM

Sounds like you got it down. You have to work to get a limit of quail. If a guy wants to be driven to birds every time he is not a quail hunter. That's a unrealistic expectation. I hate quail hunting with dogs to much of a pain in the ***. I did hunt with a guy who used a Jack Russell, that was cool.

Last edited by scott fisher; 01-30-2014 at 3:55 PM..
Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

I would prefer that you train the birds to come up and place their heads inside the barrel of my shotgun, so all I have to do is pull the trigger. It is so much more fun if they don't put up a fight.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 01-30-2014, 8:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
I would want you to drop me and my dogs off in a good area and let us hunt for 1 hour and then check back in. Bringing fresh water would be nice.

Make some adjustment and let us go again.

Send me a PM for next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
The answer would depend on how much the guide was charging.

^^^these.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 01-30-2014, 9:34 AM

Shay, coming from a quail junky...it all depends on the birds. Sometimes I hate using my dog and sometimes you absolutely need one. It all depends on the habitat and the birds. Many times quail wont hold like a pheasant. Sometimes you only get one opportunity on a covey and if your dog flushes one they all flush. I've had days where I've seen a thousand birds when they flush sky turns black for a moment...bang bang bang and that's it they're all gone.

If you're hunting multiple quail locations I would just see what the birds are doing. If they seem to be holding than absolutely use the dog. If not I like to spot and stalk so to speak. Sometimes you can find a covey holding all together and gather the hunters to get them in position for that one volley.

Just like duck hunting sometimes you need to vary your approach based on the birds.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 AM

Sounds like you are doing your part. All I would expect would be to point me in the direction of the birds on the property. My Dog and I will do the rest.

Some people just have unrealistic expectations. I'm sure you get that all the time with Hog Hunters too.
I dont think you need to change a thing in your guiding duties. But maybe try to get a better feel for what kind of guy the hunter is and their experience before you load up for the hunt. Give him a run down of what you will and will not do for him. Some guys have never hunted wild birds and think planted birds at a club is "hunting"

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Some guys have never hunted wild birds and think planted birds at a club is "hunting"
It is when I can't find the Go$$AM things and neither can my dogs!

A buddy of mine spent all of August-October guiding big game this year in Oregon. He's been a licensed guide for at least the last 20 years. This year in particular he had all sorts of interesting clients from the old guy that can't do much more than get out of the pickup to the guy that talked all day about how he's been to Africa 5x and killed everything yet the guy couldn't deliver when presented with (3) separate under 200 yard shots at giant bull elk.

Sounds like you are doing what's expected of you by most people. As you already know you will never be able to please everyone. You may already do this but if you don't at the time of booking and probably again the pm before go over what the client can expect and how the hunt will go (as described in your first post) that may head off some issues but remember some people were just put on this earth to ***** about everything.

I also vote Kestrel should change his name to "BigQuailStopper".
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I haven't hunted quail yet but it sounds like you're doing the right stuff.

Being a newish hunter, one thing I like from a guided hunt is the guide showing me tips and tricks on how to hunt the prey. It helps me be a better hunter and gets the guide engaged more in the hunt as well.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 01-31-2014, 6:50 AM

Springtime: Bigturkeystopper?
Old 01-31-2014, 7:39 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboarstopper View Post
Springtime: Bigpoultstopper?
Fixed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 01-31-2014, 7:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboarstopper View Post
Springtime: Bigturkeystopper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Fixed?
Big egg gatherer?
Old 01-31-2014, 5:37 PM
Calguns Addict

What kind of tips does a person need to hunt quail.
They fly you shoot.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 02-01-2014, 8:48 PM
Banned

I guess it depends on what you charge. In FL this cost me about $400 for the day I think.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24221258

Old 02-02-2014, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I guess it depends on what you charge. In FL this cost me about $400 for the day I think.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24221258

Ok Shay, We're building a Quail Rig like this and getting serious about these birds. No wonder you have unhappy customers, you just aren't putting enough effort into it. I'm working with Lawrence on a top secret "Quail Finder" to mount on the Quail Rig. Start practicing your Quail Calls and I'll fire up the welder.

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 02-02-2014, 8:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Ok Shay, We're building a Quail Rig like this and getting serious about these birds. No wonder you have unhappy customers, you just aren't putting enough effort into it. I'm working with Lawrence on a top secret "Quail Finder" to mount on the Quail Rig. Start practicing your Quail Calls and I'll fire up the welder.
LOL no sheet!!! I just noticed that rig.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
LOL no sheet!!! I just noticed that rig.
On my TX Nilgai hunt, the ranch also did quail hunts and had some pretty nice Quail Rigs. All Aluminum tubing built up on the backs of newer F350 Trucks. ($3500 for the weekend for 4 hunters, I'm in the wrong business)

Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
On my TX Nilgai hunt, the ranch also did quail hunts and had some pretty nice Quail Rigs. All Aluminum tubing built up on the backs of newer F350 Trucks. ($3500 for the weekend for 4 hunters, I'm in the wrong business)
If we are going on an exclusive pig hunt with BBS, i sure hope he has a similar type rig for us. Complete with fridge with a beer tap. I am sure he will do everything in his power to make us feel at home. WiFi would be good too so we can produce the live event here on CGN..
Old 02-02-2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:
If we are going on an exclusive pig hunt with BBS, i sure hope he has a similar type rig for us. Complete with fridge with a beer tap. I am sure he will do everything in his power to make us feel at home. WiFi would be good too so we can produce the live event here on CGN..
Yeah, we will also need a cook top on the back of the rig with a little old mexican lady making us tacos the whole time

Old 02-02-2014, 1:48 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Did you get one? Last time I was in Texas the ranch had Nilgai but they were pretty spooky and stayed brushed up, I only got a half second glimpse of the *** of one. lol weird looking animal, big massive body and little tiny horns.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2014, 1:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yeah, we will also need a cook top on the back of the rig with a young, hot looking Mexican lady making us tacos the whole time
Fixed it for you
Old 02-02-2014, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Did you get one? Last time I was in Texas the ranch had Nilgai but they were pretty spooky and stayed brushed up, I only got a half second glimpse of the *** of one. lol weird looking animal, big massive body and little tiny horns.
Yeah I got a nice Bull along with a few hogs and javelina. They are Spooky as heck. Got busted on 3 stalks before I got mine. Tough as hell too. Shot mine slightly quartering away, dropped him where he stood, he started doing the "death kick" and then lays there. 15 seconds later he gets up and tries to run off. Shot him in the neck and put him out.

Transportation

Last edited by DirtyDave; 02-02-2014 at 3:42 PM..
Old 02-02-2014, 3:15 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Nice bull! Yes Ive heard stories about how tough they are.
Old 02-02-2014, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Nice bull! Yes Ive heard stories about how tough they are.
Makes it a fun hunt because they are tough and spooky. Way spookier than any deer.

Old 02-03-2014, 8:04 PM

While we're here giving Shay pointers on how he can up his Guiding Game. How about adding some Monkeys to the Pack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_hkKUCWltc#t=0

Old 02-03-2014, 8:11 PM

Dave where did you find that video? That is great! Forget my dog I need some monkeys on the payroll.
http://www.aandmanimalcontrol.com/

http://www.sandiegoskunkremoval.com/
http://www.skunkremovallajolla.biz/
Old 02-04-2014, 7:10 AM

Where can I get some monkeys??? That looks like fun!!!!!