Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Wombats Are Dangerous's Avatar
Wombats Are Dangerous Wombats Are Dangerous is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,408
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default IFAK and blowout kit setups

I was reading through this old thread and it shocked me into reality:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1388615

I realized that I haven't gone through any medical training to triage gunshot wounds, and having witnessed similar incidents as in that thread (too many times!), I really need to up my responsibility level as a gun owner to include first aid training and equipment as part of my toolbox.

Now I want to put together an individual first aid kit for my range bag and my belt. I'm swimming in internet information right now, so I need to start narrowing down my wish list.

What do you guys stock in your IFAKs? Any recommended brands for specific items?

I want to build a small, fast, light kit capable of triaging all manner of gunshot wounds. Optimally, I could move it from my range bag to my belt, and vice versa, quickly. I want enough supplies and ease of use to triage one or two wounds on my own body, so I have to be able to access it, open it and use it with one arm, if need be. A rip-away pouch would be optimal because I'd likely mount it at the back of my belt.

-- tourniquet (SWAT-T vs. CAT?)
-- israeli bandage
-- rip shears
-- 2 quik clots pads or clotting powder (one medium, one small)
-- 2 chest seals
-- 2 pairs nitrile gloves
-- roll of waterproof med tape
-- pack of compressed gauze pads

Anything else I should absolutely have? Do you guys recommend blowout kit items like a decompression needle and/or airway tube?

Also, any recommendations on gunshot first aid courses in the San Diego area? I'd like to stay local so I can take the course multiple times, but I've also been reading great things about Dark Angel Medical courses, and they've got one in Scottsdale in November.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-17-2018, 12:23 PM
dwinters14's Avatar
dwinters14 dwinters14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 591
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

This is what I have in my range bag at all times:

CAT-T
QuickClot
Gauze bandages (multiple sizes)
Triangle bandage
Nitrile gloves
Ace bandage
Bandaids
Burn Cream
Aspirin/Ibuprofen
Shears
Sharpie

The only thing I feel like I'm missing is chest seals and maybe a nasopharyngeal airway.

The crazy thing to me is I'm the only one besides 1 RO I see with an IFAK. Also nobody else seems concerned about carrying one around. Things can go sideways on the range in a blink of an eye, and most ranges aren't exactly central. Paramedics would take a solid 10 minutes, and in that time you'd easily bleed out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-17-2018, 12:46 PM
dobek's Avatar
dobek dobek is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 577
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I carry a Dark Angel med kit. Took a couple of great classes - one from a combat medic titled “sh$t I think I’ve been shot”

Common feeling is - you train hard to put a hole in - you should train hard to plug one. The gunshot victim just may be you or a loved one

I carry Dark Angel DARK Kit plus 3 TQ’s (Softt-w) - kit has everything you need including chest needle and halo vent chest seal, gloves, Israeli bandage, combat gauze etc

I carry three TQ’s cause you never know how many victims (ie Boston bombing). Don’t forget sharpie marker to write time of TQ, sharp knife (one hand opening - I like kershaw blur) and seat belt / web cutter.

Steve

http://darkangelmedical.com/d-a-r-k-trauma-kit/

Last edited by dobek; 06-17-2018 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Add link
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-17-2018, 12:52 PM
jmatt511's Avatar
jmatt511 jmatt511 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 395
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobek View Post
I carry a Dark Angel med kit. Took a couple of great classes - one from a combat medic titled “sh$t I think I’ve been shot”

Common feeling is - you train hard to put a hole in - you should train hard to plug one. The gunshot victim just may be you or a loved one

I carry Dark Angel DARK Kit plus 3 TQ’s (Softt-w) - kit has everything you need including chest needle and halo vent chest seal, gloves, Israeli bandage, combat gauze etc

I carry three TQ’s cause you never know how many victims (ie Boston bombing). Don’t forget sharpie marker to write time of TQ, sharp knife (one hand opening - I like kershaw blur) and seat belt / web cutter.

Steve

http://darkangelmedical.com/d-a-r-k-trauma-kit/
Second on the Dark Angel set-up. I also carry multiple tourniquets because you never know...
__________________
Cry Havoc.... and let slip the Dogs of War.

Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-17-2018, 1:06 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 5,298
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

TQ selection is a bit of a personal choice. I prefer the SOFTT-W TQ (latest generation) over the CAT as the materials are usually a bit higher quality IMO. And I definitely prefer either one of those over the SWAT. If space is a concern I'll take a RATS over a SWAT. To this end, however, I would recommend carrying either the SOFT or the CAT in a stand alone pouch on your belt line or similar place to where you can access it by either hand. Carrying an upgraded TQ is absolutely worth the effort and whatever space is needed. And if you're active duty law enforcement or military I would carry two of them.

Chest seals I like the Hyfin vented ones.

I'd also carry a nasal airway and a decompression needle even if I didn't know how to use them. You never know who is going to be on scene who does. You may get lucky. And they're small enough where they don't take up much space.

For quick clot I would carry the Z Folded gauze pack instead of just the pads. If you really need that stuff you're probably going to need more than just a couple pads.

On a blowout kit where space is an issue, I would likely skip additional gauze in favor of the Israeli Bandage or similar. That will get you through most emergency situations. Further to this we're talking about immediate need items that you can carry directly on you. I always carry a major first aid kit in my truck that has tons of supplies in it. My truck is usually always fairly close at hand and I'll often pull the big case out and set it on the firing line if I'm with a large group of people. If you don't have a really good first aid kit, now's a good time to solve that problem too.

Lastly, I like Rescue Essentials a lot for a source for all this stuff. But you definitely want to price shop as this stuff adds up and prices can vary widely. But it's at least a good source for figuring out what you want.

https://www.rescue-essentials.com
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2018, 1:18 PM
tomk556 tomk556 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 444
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombats Are Dangerous View Post
I was reading through this old thread and it shocked me into reality:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1388615

I realized that I haven't gone through any medical training to triage gunshot wounds, and having witnessed similar incidents as in that thread (too many times!), I really need to up my responsibility level as a gun owner to include first aid training and equipment as part of my toolbox.

Now I want to put together an individual first aid kit for my range bag and my belt. I'm swimming in internet information right now, so I need to start narrowing down my wish list.

What do you guys stock in your IFAKs? Any recommended brands for specific items?

I want to build a small, fast, light kit capable of triaging all manner of gunshot wounds. Optimally, I could move it from my range bag to my belt, and vice versa, quickly. I want enough supplies and ease of use to triage one or two wounds on my own body, so I have to be able to access it, open it and use it with one arm, if need be. A rip-away pouch would be optimal because I'd likely mount it at the back of my belt.

-- tourniquet (SWAT-T vs. CAT?)
-- israeli bandage
-- rip shears
-- 2 quik clots pads or clotting powder (one medium, one small)
-- 2 chest seals
-- 2 pairs nitrile gloves
-- roll of waterproof med tape
-- pack of compressed gauze pads

Anything else I should absolutely have? Do you guys recommend blowout kit items like a decompression needle and/or airway tube?

Also, any recommendations on gunshot first aid courses in the San Diego area? I'd like to stay local so I can take the course multiple times, but I've also been reading great things about Dark Angel Medical courses, and they've got one in Scottsdale in November.
The medical courses are fun and worth doing.

The above is fine, that's about what I carry in my range bag. The military IFAK contents are a well-thought out trauma kit. The compression bandage and tourniquet are probably going to be the main tools for a range accident. Airway is a simple addition, but less likely to be necessary. Decompression needles? I have one, but honestly, for an accident at a range where EMS and a trauma center is nearby, I really don't see myself ever using one. Others would know better than me, but that's not something I'm going to want to do with limited training and infrequent practice. Now, if you're shooting way out on BLM land and doing more than just static, benchrest shooting and what not, more is better and I'd be motivated to go to much greater lengths.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2018, 2:05 PM
Simi762's Avatar
Simi762 Simi762 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 324
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

It never cease to amaze me with all the dry, live fire, medical and survival that some never will learn hand to hand, knives and batons
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-17-2018, 3:27 PM
tomk556 tomk556 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 444
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi762 View Post
It never cease to amaze me with all the dry, live fire, medical and survival that some never will learn hand to hand, knives and batons
Truth. Everyone should spend a year doing their workouts at a BJJ gym and the like.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-17-2018, 3:29 PM
dwinters14's Avatar
dwinters14 dwinters14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 591
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi762 View Post
It never cease to amaze me with all the dry, live fire, medical and survival that some never will learn hand to hand, knives and batons
Too much work, and a lot of people just physically aren't able. Not everyone can or wants to be a gladiator. These tools also aren't effective unless they're done ad nauseam. Otherwise you'll look like someone who's watched too many kung-fu movies while you get your *** whooped by some street thug.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-17-2018, 3:51 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 37,446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6
Default

And, we have a forum that includes this, though it's a bit far down on the list. Moved.
__________________
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-17-2018, 4:24 PM
The War Wagon's Avatar
The War Wagon The War Wagon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: da' 'BURGH
Posts: 5,204
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Lightbulb

AR500 EPIK on my chest rig, and TWO C-A-T's.


With a family of 6, I keep 4 stocked G2 (squad-size) medkits in the BoB's (plural).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-17-2018, 4:55 PM
AreWeFree's Avatar
AreWeFree AreWeFree is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,127
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default

Bare bones inexpensive kit you can build on:

Ziplock gallon freezer bag
2x Kerlix 4.5" x 4.25 Yard
2x Self Adherent Cohesive Bandages 2" x 5'
1 SOF SOFTT-Wide tourniquet or CAT
1 trauma shear

Total cost is around $55 for a single kit, the kerlix and cohesive bandages come in 6 packs on Amazon, so two more tourniquets and shears will give you three kits for about $125.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-17-2018, 5:52 PM
TheChief's Avatar
TheChief TheChief is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,539
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Big fan of building your own kit to the level you are trained to. A chest tube with no training...your just gonna butcher them.

Folks need to keep in mind there is liability in treating a patient. Good Samaritan laws covers you as long as you stay within your level of training. Your level of training will educate you on what is and is not allowable. However, there are exceptions. If you try to treat with a chest tube and you are not an MD, YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL.

Sure, maybe you saved their life, but you are still going to jail. Maybe the patient will send you cookies or pay for a couple of conjugal visits for you but that is it. The DA will have their hands forced.

Unless its an end-of-the-rule-of-law period, or your saving a family member and the repercussions are worth it, chest tubes, tracheotomy, bore holes, resetting bones, etc. will get you into serious trouble.

Now if you are only talking about after a collapse, then sure...no one is gonna stop you.

I was an EMT and did ride-alongs in an ambulance back in the early 90's and have been a Wilderness First Responder for a number of years now. I can perform certain procedures following wilderness protocols only as long as I am in a wilderness setting; which is defined as being more than an hour away from definitive care. If I tried clearing a c-spine, resetting a dislocation or bone, to recover CSM in my office...I am going to get in serious trouble.

Get the training. Its fun and helpful to society. Then build your advanced kit.

The more you know.
__________________
All things being equal...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-17-2018, 7:02 PM
as_rocketman's Avatar
as_rocketman as_rocketman is offline
CGSSA Leader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 1,045
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Yup, get training. I'm CERT and Red Cross First Aid certified, working on advanced first aid under EMT instructors. Lots to learn. Lots. And practice makes all the difference.

To the OP I happen to be a fan of the SWAT-T "tourniquet," keeping in mind that you can't really deploy it on yourself. But in return it's versatile, doubling as a good compression bandage. Don't carry a tourniquet without a Sharpie to document its application.

I don't recommend clotting powder. Powder-infused gauze is your call. Chest seals only if you know what you're doing.

I keep a couple of triangular bandages in there because I like them. Very useful things. You may want more than two pairs of gloves and you should have an N95 mask to go with it. Also I go nowhere without a CPR mask.

Practice!
__________________
Riflemen Needed.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Wombats Are Dangerous's Avatar
Wombats Are Dangerous Wombats Are Dangerous is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,408
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

Great feedback from everyone!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinters14 View Post
The crazy thing to me is I'm the only one besides 1 RO I see with an IFAK. Also nobody else seems concerned about carrying one around. Things can go sideways on the range in a blink of an eye, and most ranges aren't exactly central. Paramedics would take a solid 10 minutes, and in that time you'd easily bleed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobek View Post
Common feeling is - you train hard to put a hole in - you should train hard to plug one. The gunshot victim just may be you or a loved one.

I carry three TQs cause you never know how many victims (ie Boston bombing). Dont forget sharpie marker to write time of TQ, sharp knife (one hand opening - I like kershaw blur) and seat belt / web cutter.
Exactly this ^^^! I'm sure a lot of the local San Diego ranges have first aid kits, but you never know if everyone is trained in trauma. I'd rather have the knowledge and equipment to patch myself up, or instruct someone how to patch me up. This kit is strictly for my own welfare, though the training and equipment may benefit someone else if I happen to be around, but I'm not trying to pack for a mass casualty scenario. Also, roger roger on the Sharpie.


Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
TQ selection is a bit of a personal choice. I prefer the SOFTT-W TQ (latest generation) over the CAT as the materials are usually a bit higher quality IMO. And I definitely prefer either one of those over the SWAT. If space is a concern I'll take a RATS over a SWAT. To this end, however, I would recommend carrying either the SOFT or the CAT in a stand alone pouch on your belt line or similar place to where you can access it by either hand. Carrying an upgraded TQ is absolutely worth the effort and whatever space is needed. And if you're active duty law enforcement or military I would carry two of them.

I'd also carry a nasal airway and a decompression needle even if I didn't know how to use them. You never know who is going to be on scene who does. You may get lucky. And they're small enough where they don't take up much space.

For quick clot I would carry the Z Folded gauze pack instead of just the pads. If you really need that stuff you're probably going to need more than just a couple pads.

On a blowout kit where space is an issue, I would likely skip additional gauze in favor of the Israeli Bandage or similar. That will get you through most emergency situations. Further to this we're talking about immediate need items that you can carry directly on you. I always carry a major first aid kit in my truck that has tons of supplies in it. My truck is usually always fairly close at hand and I'll often pull the big case out and set it on the firing line if I'm with a large group of people. If you don't have a really good first aid kit, now's a good time to solve that problem too.

I appreciate such solid advice. I'll check out the SOFTT. I have a large Adventure Medical first aid kit in my trunk for general first aid. It's been super useful more than once. This is actually a good reminder that I need to refill some of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Big fan of building your own kit to the level you are trained to. A chest tube with no training...your just gonna butcher them.
<snip>
Get the training. Its fun and helpful to society. Then build your advanced kit.
Roger roger on the advice about the liability issues. I like the idea of having it in my kit in case someone around me knows how to use it, but it's also scary to think that someone may try to use it on me and butcher the job. No thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
Yup, get training. I'm CERT and Red Cross First Aid certified, working on advanced first aid under EMT instructors. Lots to learn. Lots. And practice makes all the difference.

To the OP I happen to be a fan of the SWAT-T "tourniquet," keeping in mind that you can't really deploy it on yourself. But in return it's versatile, doubling as a good compression bandage. Don't carry a tourniquet without a Sharpie to document its application.

I don't recommend clotting powder. Powder-infused gauze is your call. Chest seals only if you know what you're doing.

Practice!
I took the Red Cross first aid and CPR course 16 years ago. Time for a refresher!

Do you think it's overkill to have an Israeli bandage AND the SWAT-T in a personal kit? I think, combined, they'd be bulky for a belt-mounted pack.

Roger roger on the powder infused gauze and Sharpie.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-18-2018, 8:05 AM
FeuerFrei's Avatar
FeuerFrei FeuerFrei is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: sign said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
Posts: 4,420
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Do not over burden your donkey with too much kit. You end up culling all of the nice to haves vs have to haves with regard to ifak/edc gear. Leave the fancy emt gear in the truck and decide what to keep in your pockets.
If someone gets ventilated you want to keep it quick and simple.
Stop the bleeding and treat for shock. Not complicated to achieve for the average person. *Don't work beyond your scope of training.
For edc I do like the SWAT tq for it's multiple use ability. I can also use it solo on myself lefty/righty. If something hits an artery it comes out faster than you can imagine.
Chest seal? Your palms.
After dialing 911 don't forget to put it on spkr.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
__________________
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

I didnt know I was a slave until I found out I couldnt do the things I wanted.
Frederick Douglass --
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-18-2018, 8:24 AM
The War Wagon's Avatar
The War Wagon The War Wagon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: da' 'BURGH
Posts: 5,204
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Big fan of building your own kit to the level you are trained to. A chest tube with no training...your just gonna butcher them.



^^^ Good point here. I was in the LAST EMT I class in NC (1987), before NC went the "First Responder" route. Was VFD/EMT with my hometown dept., until I went back to college in 1990.



Continued to keep my basic certs through the years, to teach Scouts primarily. If a REAL paramedic is on-scene, I'd defer to them, but I do know how to use EVERYTHING in all my kits. One need not be a 5 tour combat medic to operate a kit, but I wouldn't put something in there I didn't KNOW how to use, first!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-18-2018, 8:37 AM
rick1881's Avatar
rick1881 rick1881 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In the foothills near SD
Posts: 330
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Stop The Bleed

These folks offer a one hour class for free, please check it out!

https://www.bleedingcontrol.org/
__________________
"We gotta get out of this place if it's the last thing we ever do" The Animals 1965
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Wombats Are Dangerous's Avatar
Wombats Are Dangerous Wombats Are Dangerous is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,408
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1881 View Post
These folks offer a one hour class for free, please check it out!

https://www.bleedingcontrol.org/
Thank you for the recommendation!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-18-2018, 1:04 PM
Wombats Are Dangerous's Avatar
Wombats Are Dangerous Wombats Are Dangerous is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,408
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

My top choice right now, given all the input and research, is the Blue Force Gear Micro Trauma Kit NOW. Perfect size for my belt and easy to rip out with one hand. I like their pre-packaged supply selection. All I need to add is a Sharpie and a tourniquet for a pretty comprehensive kit. I wish it were a teensy bit bigger so I could carry two quikclot pads, an extra israeli bandage, and a roll of med tape.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-18-2018, 1:19 PM
God Bless America's Avatar
God Bless America God Bless America is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,910
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombats Are Dangerous View Post
I want to build a small, fast, light kit capable of triaging all manner of gunshot wounds.
Triage is the act of prioritizing the wounded for treatment.

Do you mean 'apply first aid'?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-18-2018, 2:26 PM
tomk556 tomk556 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 444
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Do not over burden your donkey with too much kit. You end up culling all of the nice to haves vs have to haves with regard to ifak/edc gear. Leave the fancy emt gear in the truck and decide what to keep in your pockets.
If someone gets ventilated you want to keep it quick and simple.
Stop the bleeding and treat for shock. Not complicated to achieve for the average person. *Don't work beyond your scope of training.
For edc I do like the SWAT tq for it's multiple use ability. I can also use it solo on myself lefty/righty. If something hits an artery it comes out faster than you can imagine.
Chest seal? Your palms.
After dialing 911 don't forget to put it on spkr.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
I agree with this: the only thing that's critically time sensitive is the tourniquet. You could keep a tourniquet on your belt (that looks way high speed btw), or in a cargo pocket. Everything else could be kept in a range bag thirty extra seconds away. And the professional medics can weigh in, but I'm going to guess that if someone is so seriously wounded that they're going to bleed out without the application of a tourniquet in under twenty seconds or so, that a lay person would be lucky to save them anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-18-2018, 6:55 PM
KrisDSA's Avatar
KrisDSA KrisDSA is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast / West Coast
Posts: 2,523
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Build your your.

I like to run 2 diff TQ SOF T n RATS

I like the Oales BP night n day over Izzy BP

I run Quikclot Gauze n Sponge

You can check out my pics in the prep post.
__________________
WildLeaks.com
S&W 442 with Snakeshot in the pocket
And
Glock 23 with Buffalo Bore on the hip.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-19-2018, 7:57 AM
Wombats Are Dangerous's Avatar
Wombats Are Dangerous Wombats Are Dangerous is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,408
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Triage is the act of prioritizing the wounded for treatment.

Do you mean 'apply first aid'?

Uuuuuggghhhh... could you really not figure out what I was trying to say from the context in this thread?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-19-2018, 9:36 AM
God Bless America's Avatar
God Bless America God Bless America is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,910
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombats Are Dangerous View Post
Uuuuuggghhhh... could you really not figure out what I was trying to say from the context in this thread?
I can but I wonder since you didn't even know the right term, maybe you are really unfamiliar with the field, and thus getting way ahead of yourself.

Or maybe it was just a brain fart.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Wombats Are Dangerous's Avatar
Wombats Are Dangerous Wombats Are Dangerous is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,408
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
I can but I wonder since you didn't even know the right term, maybe you are really unfamiliar with the field, and thus getting way ahead of yourself.

Or maybe it was just a brain fart.

Congratulations! You've figured me out!

You are correct. I am not familiar. Was that not clear when I asked for recommendations on classes? I don't know what I don't know. I started this thread to start filling some of that knowledge gap.

At this point, I'm not really sure how your point is even helpful to me at all. Do you have anything useful to contribute to the topic at hand?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-19-2018, 11:37 AM
God Bless America's Avatar
God Bless America God Bless America is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,910
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombats Are Dangerous View Post
Congratulations! You've figured me out!

You are correct. I am not familiar. Was that not clear when I asked for recommendations on classes? I don't know what I don't know. I started this thread to start filling some of that knowledge gap.

At this point, I'm not really sure how your point is even helpful to me at all. Do you have anything useful to contribute to the topic at hand?
Yes take classes before buying anything.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-20-2018, 4:53 PM
WarBoyNux's Avatar
WarBoyNux WarBoyNux is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ...Far From Mediocre.
Posts: 558
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombats Are Dangerous View Post

I took the Red Cross first aid and CPR course 16 years ago. Time for a refresher!

Do you think it's overkill to have an Israeli bandage AND the SWAT-T in a personal kit? I think, combined, they'd be bulky for a belt-mounted pack.

Roger roger on the powder infused gauze and Sharpie.
The current Red Cross First Aid/CPR has been really watered down. You want to look at least a Wilderness First Aid or an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) course.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
It's OT - with enough time, they all become tranny threads.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-21-2018, 3:59 PM
Dutch3's Avatar
Dutch3 Dutch3 is online now
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Butte County
Posts: 13,294
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I have put together a few kits over the past few years. There is one in each vehicle (even on my tote-goat minibike). The common items in each include a TQ (CAT or SOFTT style), Israeli-type compression bandages, compressed gauze, shears and chest seals. Also a smattering of bandaids, gauze pads, etc.

I also have a larger pack with additional items such as Celox-A applicators, airways, etc., that goes on range trips or extended outings.

I do have some basic training (CPR/AED and basic first aid) but really need some more knowledge.

What is the best tape? I was in the hospital last week due to an incident involving my right foot, a nail, and 3 days of IV antibiotics. A taped-in IV in my right arm blew out after a day, so a nurse stuck another on the left side using the Tegaderm patch/clip thing. It held up very well. She also used some tape that stuck and stuck well, removing all hair as it was pulled off upon my discharge.

I want some of that stuff.
__________________
Just taking up space in the second-worst small town in California.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-21-2018, 4:49 PM
WarBoyNux's Avatar
WarBoyNux WarBoyNux is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ...Far From Mediocre.
Posts: 558
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
What is the best tape? I was in the hospital last week due to an incident involving my right foot, a nail, and 3 days of IV antibiotics. A taped-in IV in my right arm blew out after a day, so a nurse stuck another on the left side using the Tegaderm patch/clip thing. It held up very well. She also used some tape that stuck and stuck well, removing all hair as it was pulled off upon my discharge.

I want some of that stuff.
Depends, if you are old person with onion skin, the less adhesive Micropore tape won't cause a skin tear. Downside is, it doesn't stick as well.

Here is a guide to 3M medical tapes:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/2...tape-chart.pdf
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
It's OT - with enough time, they all become tranny threads.

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 06-21-2018 at 4:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-21-2018, 5:15 PM
code_blue's Avatar
code_blue code_blue is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan
Posts: 2,869
iTrader: 103 / 100%
Default

Bear in mind that many of these items "expire". The argument of "it's OK" or "swap it out" is 50/50 like with many other topics involving expiration dates.

I will tell you that "expired" OC is just as effective as non-expired OC.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-21-2018, 5:49 PM
Dutch3's Avatar
Dutch3 Dutch3 is online now
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Butte County
Posts: 13,294
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
Depends, if you are old person with onion skin, the less adhesive Micropore tape won't cause a skin tear. Downside is, it doesn't stick as well.

Here is a guide to 3M medical tapes:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/2...tape-chart.pdf
So, according to that chart, the Durapore tape is the sticky stuff?

I find tape and bandages that don't stick to be extremely annoying.
__________________
Just taking up space in the second-worst small town in California.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-21-2018, 6:00 PM
WarBoyNux's Avatar
WarBoyNux WarBoyNux is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ...Far From Mediocre.
Posts: 558
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
So, according to that chart, the Durapore tape is the sticky stuff?

I find tape and bandages that don't stick to be extremely annoying.
I'll have to check. I can tell you the Micropore is what we use for general stuff and old folks. Very gentle and hypo-allergenic.

I just started a new job working in the Emergency Dept as an EMT. If you give me a few weeks I can post a review of the tapes I have seen/used.

I'll be sure to let you know what tape makes you scream at removal. If you need to drop an IV or two during SHTF, a Tegaderm is going to be a luxury.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
It's OT - with enough time, they all become tranny threads.

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 06-21-2018 at 6:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-21-2018, 6:28 PM
Dutch3's Avatar
Dutch3 Dutch3 is online now
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Butte County
Posts: 13,294
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
I'll have to check. I can tell you the Micropore is what we use for general stuff and old folks. Very gentle and hypo-allergenic.

I just started a new job working in the Emergency Dept as an EMT. If you give me a few weeks I can post a review of the tapes I have seen/used.

I'll be sure to let you know what tape makes you scream at removal. If you need to drop an IV or two during SHTF, a Tegaderm is going to be a luxury.
I just ordered some Durapore, Transpore and Micropore to compare. I don't mind losing some hair if it means the tape will actually stick.

I do have some Tegaderm IV sets, although it is pretty unlikely I'll be sticking anyone anytime soon.
__________________
Just taking up space in the second-worst small town in California.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-21-2018, 7:52 PM
chris's Avatar
chris chris is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In Texas for now
Posts: 18,529
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I did what the SF medic said to do. Fill your IFAK with as many field dressings as I could. Because one isn't gonna do sh*t for you. I did that I have a CAT in mine and trauma shears to cut clothing. bandaids, tape, sharpie for the IFAK, Carmex, and whatever I can jam into that thing.

My IFAK is for me alone. I do have an aid bag with a bunch of stuff that I take on long trips.

I have a basic understanding of first aid enough to help someone from bleeding to death.

I need to get some QUICKCLOT Gauze though.
__________________
http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-22-2018, 5:36 AM
rick1881's Avatar
rick1881 rick1881 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In the foothills near SD
Posts: 330
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Skinny Medic

Check out this guy good videos and good equipment

https://www.shop.skinnymedic.com/main.sc
__________________
"We gotta get out of this place if it's the last thing we ever do" The Animals 1965
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-23-2018, 9:15 PM
WarBoyNux's Avatar
WarBoyNux WarBoyNux is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ...Far From Mediocre.
Posts: 558
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I just ordered some Durapore, Transpore and Micropore to compare. I don't mind losing some hair if it means the tape will actually stick.

I do have some Tegaderm IV sets, although it is pretty unlikely I'll be sticking anyone anytime soon.
I was just practicing my IV starts tonight and Micropore is not what you want for that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
It's OT - with enough time, they all become tranny threads.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-24-2018, 5:04 PM
Dutch3's Avatar
Dutch3 Dutch3 is online now
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Butte County
Posts: 13,294
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
I was just practicing my IV starts tonight and Micropore is not what you want for that.
My tape order arrived today and I would agree.

The Durapore and Transpore are much stickier, although still kind of wimpy in the stickiness factor. Transpore is harder to tear, almost requiring shears to cut it.

In my short stickiness tests, they all pulled off without removing any hair. Maybe I should try leaving some on for a day or two and see what happens.
__________________
Just taking up space in the second-worst small town in California.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM
WarBoyNux's Avatar
WarBoyNux WarBoyNux is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ...Far From Mediocre.
Posts: 558
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Found a roll of transpore plastic tape. Big difference in adhesion. I like that one for tubing since it is clear and you can see through it to monitor the tubing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
It's OT - with enough time, they all become tranny threads.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:45 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.