Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:17 PM

Default Where are the sawed offs and single shots?

Why cant I find any single shot 12ga shotguns in CA? Prior to moving here, I had a lot of fun chopping down old 12ga singleshots and shaving down stocks to birds head grips. Where I came from shotguns needed to be 26" overall and must have a 18" barrel. Can someone enlighten me and provide info on minimum legal lengths? Also, any local LA dealers who sell used single shots?!?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

It must be at least 26" overall length and must have a barrel 18" or longer, unless it is a registered / tax stamped NFA AOW

I got this single shot New England Firearms single shot 12ga off gunbroker. Chopped the barrel to 18.5" and chopped the stock down to about 12.5" LOP. I rebeaded it, ground the buttplate, and made the leather shell holder from some scraps.

It's pretty handy, and is CA legal

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-22-2018 at 10:40 PM..
Old 06-23-2018, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
It must be at least 26" overall length and must have a barrel 18" or longer, unless it is a registered / tax stamped NFA AOW

I got this single shot New England Firearms single shot 12ga off gunbroker. Chopped the barrel to 18.5" and chopped the stock down to about 12.5" LOP. I rebeaded it, ground the buttplate, and made the leather shell holder from some scraps.

It's pretty handy, and is CA legal

That looks awesome. Nice work. I really like the shell holder. I might have to dig out my leather tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2018, 6:21 AM

The sawed off singles are hiding in the outhouses back home.
Old 06-23-2018, 6:22 AM

Nice set up! Finished product looks factory!

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 06-23-2018, 7:39 AM

Very nice, SkyHawk.
Old 06-23-2018, 8:12 AM

I honestly remember noticing that prior to the swearing in of the previous administration, the racks of old $100 guns dried up - pretty sure there are still plenty of little boomsticks stashed away...
Old 06-23-2018, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

Oh man, I scored one of those New England shotguns for 125$ never fired. It's a 18" rifle slugged gun. It's going to leave a mark.
Old 06-23-2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Oh man, I scored one of those New England shotguns for 125$ never fired. It's a 18" rifle slugged gun. It's going to leave a mark.
On your shoulder or the target?
Old 06-23-2018, 5:37 PM

Very Nice work skyhawk! that is what im talking about!
Old 06-23-2018, 8:15 PM

Post SkyHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post

You are not to be underestimated.
Old 06-23-2018, 8:26 PM

I know where at least one of them is...

It's hidden but easily accessible.

Beautiful work SkyHawk!
Old 06-23-2018, 11:29 PM

IMG_0629.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg

some of my chopped up projects, an old 50$ HR topper with alot of surface rust, soaked in vinegar and shined to a high polish and barrel shortened to 18.5... also, an unknown 85$ break action that I chopped to 18.5 and trimmed the fat off the stock... the thing kicked like a mule!
Old 06-23-2018, 11:40 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
That is a good deal for a new gun, even for a used gun. The prices are creeping up on these. I like the NEF / H&R singles because they have a good auto ejector. It will launch the empty shell about 6 - 10 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
On your shoulder or the target?
Probably both! I made a long slug of lead weight with a spring buffer to put inside the stock of mine. It tamed the hammering I was taking quite a bit.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-23-2018 at 11:43 PM..
Old 06-24-2018, 7:36 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
SkyHawk

It will launch the empty shell about 6 - 10 feet.

I made a long slug of lead weight with a spring buffer to put inside the stock of mine. It tamed the hammering I was taking quite a bit.

The ejectors are fun, aren't they! I roll the gun as I crack it open so I don't get hit in the face.

The first time I shot this with standard velocity 9-pellet double-aught, I laughed from the shock of being kicked so hard. I think part of it is the stock shape. These H&R/NEF are very similar, but with this one being made in 1940... I shoot it now using reduced recoil buck and slug, but I don't shoot it very often. It is indeed an outhouse gun or a truck gun. A last resort gun.

This one had a 32 inch! barrel on it and rather than 18" I went with a hack at 20". I dressed the cut on a disc sander, tapped a hole for the original brass bead and swabbed some cold blue on it.

If someone made a better stock for these things...
"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

.TOMMY ROBINSON WALKS A FREE MAN! | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 06-24-2018, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Back when I was in a small Northeast state that only allows shotguns to be used for hunting I knew a respected Vietnam War veteran who swore by hunting with a simple break open 12 gauge shotgun.
He didn't specify any model in particular but I think his was a Harrington and Richardson / H&R (or possibly one of the newer NEF branded ones by basically the same company).

I belive he thought they were utterly reliable and the safest, regardless of anyone's skill level around firearms and I also think he had a "one shot-one kill" mindset.

Plus when you don't have a pump or semi-auto action to play with you start focusing on getting tight slug groups at the range.
Old 06-24-2018, 7:31 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
The ejectors are fun, aren't they! I roll the gun as I crack it open so I don't get hit in the face.

This one had a 32 inch! barrel on it and rather than 18" I went with a hack at 20". I dressed the cut on a disc sander, tapped a hole for the original brass bead and swabbed some cold blue on it.

If someone made a better stock for these things...
^^^^
Man I love the older H&Rs like yours. I really dig those paddle levers. Those older ones go for good money if you find a nice example, and I didn't want to risk butchering one for my first attempt at an outhouse gun.

Mine was about 26" or 28". I chopped it with a hacksaw and squared it off with a Clymer facing tool that you chuck in a hand drill. That tool is awesome, it has a brass pilot bushing so you almost can't go wrong getting it square. Then I used a big stepped drill bit to slightly chamfer the cut on the inside edge, and a small diamond file around the outside edge, before I cold blued it. I went with a slightly larger bead from Brownells.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-24-2018 at 7:42 PM..
Old 06-24-2018, 11:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Here you go, a single shot shotgun.