Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-08-2014, 4:42 PM

I am interested in learning how to reload as well, are you guys having a meeting on the 9th still? I have no experience and was hoping for help picking out a reloading setup, as well as some technical knowledge. Please let me know when the next time you guys are having a meeting.
Old 01-08-2014, 5:00 PM

what is it you'd want to reload?
Rifle?
Pistol?
All of it?

A lee single stage kit is about the most economical way to get started,
like this one,
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121...tage-press-kit.

you'd need a die set and case length trimmer to complete it, plus the consumables (powder, primers, and bullets)

When they kick in your front door,
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?
Old 01-08-2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evol ways View Post
Same here man. I just bought a place in san pablo, and looking into building a nice reloading bench in my garage. Unfortunately i have furniture to buy first.
My reloading bench is a double thick sheet of plywood (24x30ish inch) with a single stage press bolted on. I then clamp the plywood to a workmate collapsible bench. I couldn't wait to make room and build a real bench, was too anxious to get to loading.
Old 01-08-2014, 5:56 PM

Thanks for the link. I am interested in seeing the process of reloading and what equipment I need to do 9/40mm. I have no idea what I am doing and don't want to throw money at something I don't quite understand. I was talking with my buddy about the prospect of splitting the cost of a nice setup, but don't really know what one is. That is why I was hoping they we're having a group meeting somewhere in the East-Bay, I am in hayward and am willing to travel.
Old 01-08-2014, 8:53 PM

We need a meetup. I would love someplace to bring my stuff and have someone show me how to set up my press and dies.
Old 01-08-2014, 9:14 PM

Hi, I'm not sure if you guys have picked a spot and/or time for a meeting but I'd like to add myself to the list of potential newbie reloaders. Last week I reloaded my 1st rounds ever, 50 each of .45 cal pistol on a RCBS turret press owned and set up by my buddy. I have been researching reloading presses and saving a bit of brass from the range. I plan to reload 9 and 45 pistol and 223 and 308 rifle. I've also ordered some consumables (9mm bullets and primers, 223 and 308 bullets, military 308 brass which I'll need to trim/swage etc, 1 lb imr rifle powder) I have access to my buddy's set up and can buy some powder and primers from him to get started but I'm starting to gather my own stuff to set up a press in my garage. I also ordered a set of 4 Lee 9mm dies since my buddy does not reload 9mm he does not have those dies for his press. I'm leaning very heavily toward the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit for my entry into reloading but will learn on his RBCS. I like the idea of running the press in single stage for the 308 ammo since I wont be in any hurry while producing those rounds. I'm in Oakland and would love to meet up with the group whenever/wherever. Sorry I dont have a good suggestion for a meeting spot. Steve
Old 01-09-2014, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Man View Post
My reloading bench is a double thick sheet of plywood (24x30ish inch) with a single stage press bolted on. I then clamp the plywood to a workmate collapsible bench. I couldn't wait to make room and build a real bench, was too anxious to get to loading.
I might have to take this idea from you and go this route untill i have some extra money/space/tools to build me a bench. Thanks for the idea though man!
Old 01-11-2014, 4:25 PM

I'm in!!
Old 01-13-2014, 2:20 PM

Would love to be apart of this.

Maybe have a small swap meet type bit? I've got a bunch of powders an other stuff I've collected, would love to swap or pass on.
Old 01-13-2014, 3:49 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by james29 View Post
Would love to be apart of this.

Maybe have a small swap meet type bit? I've got a bunch of powders an other stuff I've collected, would love to swap or pass on.
+1!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 PM

Im in....I am in east bay Dublin\Castro Valley\San Leandro....send me a PM if someone organizes, my schedule is flexible (just not during NFL games please)
Old 01-16-2014, 8:31 PM

I think a swap meet would be cool. I have a bunch of Dillon stuff I don't use.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykev View Post
USI is a NO.
The insurance policy expressly forbids anyone from reclaiming lead, or ANY KIND of RELOADING, or similar. I looked it up a couple months ago when Ivan asked me.
The politics of reloading USI are complicated because at least one of the VIPs there is knee-jerk irrational about reloading. The ban is a fiat declaration due to the fact that we all reload super hot, unsafe, blah, and blah.

One day I was shooting .40 minor and was asked to chrono my "super hot" reloads vs factory .40 (which is major PF) to prove how dangerous the reloads were. Needless to say, the anti-reloading argument persists despite being thoroughly debunked.

I think the action pistol range bldg is an ideal place, but someone has to step up to the plate and initiate an official WTF inquiry on the reloading policy. I am happy to help, but my political skills suck.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizux View Post
The politics of reloading USI are complicated because at least one of the VIPs there is knee-jerk irrational about reloading. The ban is a fiat declaration due to the fact that we all reload super hot, unsafe, blah, and blah.

One day I was shooting .40 minor and was asked to chrono my "super hot" reloads vs factory .40 (which is major PF) to prove how dangerous the reloads were. Needless to say, the anti-reloading argument persists despite being thoroughly debunked.

I think the action pistol range bldg is an ideal place, but someone has to step up to the plate and initiate an official WTF inquiry on the reloading policy. I am happy to help, but my political skills suck.
That would be a nice location and good facility for such a meeting.
Old 01-18-2014, 5:56 PM

Would we still not be allowed to hold a class at USI if no actual reloading was taking place, perhaps no powder being present? Would we be allowed to go through the process of reloading (case trimming, sizing and seating) resulting in dummy rounds. We could leave out the primers even. This would give us the opportunity to learn the procedures and practical applications. Would this still be a no go from the insurance stand point?
Old 01-18-2014, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Man View Post
Would we still not be allowed to hold a class at USI if no actual reloading was taking place, perhaps no powder being present? Would we be allowed to go through the process of reloading (case trimming, sizing and seating) resulting in dummy rounds. We could leave out the primers even. This would give us the opportunity to learn the procedures and practical applications. Would this still be a no go from the insurance stand point?
NO. Item #3 specifically says it's not covered.

Last edited by Andykev; 01-18-2014 at 6:59 PM..
Old 01-18-2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
That is not true. That "VIP"'s opinion was not acted upon by the USI Board, nor management. It was an advisory from one person..so don't paint everyone with the same brush.
No, but that individual attempted to disrupt ongoing club activities, under the color of authority as your agent. I didn't say "everyone," just folks that are as irrational about reloading as our friends in Sacto are about the 2A.
Quote:
It does NOT say we cannot shoot reloaded ammo.
Neither does it prohibit reloading classes; however, it purports to exclude coverage for one's own handloaded ammo right above the reloading instruction exclusion that you cited. Without the complete document, or at least a bit more of the exclusions section, I can't tell if the exclusions only apply to commercial activity (which is the typical exclusion language).
Quote:
If the insurance company says "NO", and it's allowed anyway....we are not covered.
Unless, of course, you request the policy be updated to cover non-commercial reloading... or the course instructor is NRA certified and teaches using NRA materials, in which case the course is covered by NRA's insurance (premium is included within the cost of the materials).

Quote:
There is NO "official policy"
Correct, which is why there shouldn't be a problem
Quote:
there was no "knee jerk".
I respectfully disagree.
Quote:
...insurance, and they said we are NOT covered. That is all it is.
So, once the insurance issue is resolved, we can count on your full support? Or will you continue implement your unofficial policy that you cited in your PM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykev
None of that will happen under my watch,...
Quote:
Has anyone been told not to shoot their reloads?
Yes, me.
Quote:
How do we do that?
Simple, you have your Chief RSO declare reloads unsafe by fiat, and threaten to expel any dues-paying members for committing "unsafe acts" on the range.
Quote:
How do you tell?
Its pretty easy to distinguish reloads from factory ammo. I usually can tell because the guy pulling the trigger is wearing a Dillon Precision hat or something similar. A dead giveaway is the mixed headstamps in MTM boxes, or some jerk with sorting trays and a 5 gallon bucket whoring for brass (that's me -- Hi Mom!).

Quote:
Lastly, YOU CANNOT MINE OR HANDLE OR RECLAIM LEAD. We have professional people do that every so many years.
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up lead mining. No one is suggesting that the proposed reloading course will include mining USI's lead for casting. "Handling" lead is processing, mining, or casting, not reloading copper jacketed projectiles, inserting cartridges into magazines, or charging a lead-acid car battery.

Your insurance policy exclusion language is quite outdated; most policies have updated that exclusion to cover injuries (including emotional distress) caused as a result of the SALE of remanufactured or reloaded ammunition. [emphasis in canned policy language]. Of course, the exclusion may be eliminated if the insured has a valid 06 or 07 FFL.

You should be able to contact your insurance agent and obtain a revised policy at little or no cost.

Assuming that this insurance issue is resolved, what other reason(s), if any, would remain so as to preclude one of the clubs from conducting a reloading class?

As I responded via PM, I'm happy to meet to discuss this IRL, because I'm confident that all of your stated concerns can be addressed to everyone's satisfaction. If, of course, there are ulterior motives because someone in the chain of command just doesn't like reloading, then I guess I'm not going to solve that over lunch.

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 01-19-2014, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

I know this may be a crazy question. But why can't we learn how to reload at USI by making dummy rounds instead? No powder or primers? Also is there a substitute we could use instead of powder? So we can learn how to properly measure, like sand or something?

-Sheriff Bud Boomer-
Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTMANDDT View Post
I know this may be a crazy question. But why can't we learn how to reload at USI by making dummy rounds instead? No powder or primers? Also is there a substitute we could use instead of powder? So we can learn how to properly measure, like sand or something?
That is still "instruction." ... and you are trying to solve the problem rationally.

I am going to sit back, let the adults discuss this offline, and see what happens. Either there will be another roadblock, or the insurance issue will be resolved and they will let us know we can schedule a class.

BusBoy, can you pass the popcorn if there is any left?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 AM

I would be interested. I am still looking for powder for 9mm and 45, I have brass, bullets and primers (and a press).

I am in Livermore.

Last edited by SeaDooRider68; 01-28-2014 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: add location
Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTMANDDT View Post
Cornmeal can be used for powder. You can also purchase inert powder and primers. They are often used to demonstrate reloading at trade shows and things.
Old 01-29-2014, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Just a PSA/heads-up for you East Bay reloaders - I'm giving away one of my reloading benches:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=886404

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 02-14-2014, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Just waiting to get my .270 Tikka T3 out of jail and interested in reloading for it.
I also have .40, 9mm. .380 ACP, and (in future 7x64 and 7mm-08 possible) in mind.

Is the club moving forward at a venue or still waiting on a venue for meetings?
Anyone approached Livermore-Pleasanton Rod & Gun over space?
I live over the Altamont but I'd be willing to travel to the 680 corridor and East for meetings (I do to shoot anyway).
Old 02-16-2014, 7:42 AM

I would be interested. Located in Danville.
Old 02-20-2014, 9:18 AM

I can help anyone that wants to learn
and get you started you might want to start with a reloading manual to get your self familiarize
If you are local I could help you set up or you can see my set up
Old 03-07-2014, 7:33 PM

I'm down to join once you guys get a venue and the logistics worked out. Please let me know how you'll be reaching out, pm's, following this thread, emails, etc.
I'm somewhat new to reloading. Danville. Reloaded 45, 40, and 10mm right now on a modified 650 with a bullet feeder. Haven't got into necked cartridges yet but am stock piling the brass in prep.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:18 PM

I'm in!

Welcome to California. Everything here is either illegal or mandatory. Enjoy your stay!
Old 03-10-2014, 5:43 PM

I'm interested. I don't shoot a lot of rifle and am primarily interested in 10mm. Tough to find good ammo for it, but I love shooting it.
Old 03-13-2014, 7:30 PM
STUD MUFFIN

interested. i would like to go to the next meet up

-W
Old 03-13-2014, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac97crawford View Post
I'm down to join once you guys get a venue and the logistics worked out. Please let me know how you'll be reaching out, pm's, following this thread, emails, etc.
I'm somewhat new to reloading. Danville. Reloaded 45, 40, and 10mm right now on a modified 650 with a bullet feeder. Haven't got into necked cartridges yet but am stock piling the brass in prep.
I'm in Danville if you need help with rifle brass. Just more prep really and more time.
Old 03-21-2014, 9:52 AM

I just got all the dies for .308 and .223 as well as a super swagger 600. Waiting on my trimmer and the next gun show for components. I've only reloaded .45 and 9mm before, so I was wondering if anyone wanted to get together and figure it out with me. I also just finished making my own wet tumbler so if anyone is interested in one I can help you make it(i have all the machine tool's, just need to get metal/motor/bearings/pulleys etc).
Old 03-21-2014, 9:53 AM

Forgot to mention I'm I'm danville- shops I'm san Ramon
Old 03-22-2014, 6:32 PM
Veteran Member

Bump for any info
Old 03-30-2014, 7:51 PM

Default Antioch Reloader here..

Been loading for five or six years but had to pack up my stuff when we were considering moving south.
I load .38 Spl. .357mag .45acp .30 Remington automatic .308 .30-06 .30-06 Garand. And do all my own casting for .38/.357 I noticed there are several guys close to me (Far East county) I can set up my bench and gear for impromptu loading or info sharing/swapping. (I won't say give classes cause that looks like it's been a sticky subject.) feel free to PM me.
Cheers Sam!

Diablo Valley Rod and Gun, Sargeant at Arms.
Old 04-02-2014, 1:48 PM

Started without you guys

Old 04-03-2014, 7:22 PM

I'd be interested in the group. Been reloading on my RL550 for years but can always learn something about this process.
Old 04-03-2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testpress View Post
Started without you guys

Hey, where did you get that fancy bullet box? Do you like it?
Old 04-04-2014, 8:00 AM

That box looks like an MTM Flip box, Midway has them, lots of other places do too. They're pretty nice because the lid is a separate part, allowing it to open all the way.
Old 04-04-2014, 8:58 AM

Yep, that's the one. I saw one at the range a couple weeks ago but couldn't remember what brand it was.
Old 04-05-2014, 7:30 PM

Yep. MTM. Got it on amazon super cheep!!