Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Default Who's planning on rescuing friends in SHTF?

Here is another clip from the Goodbye World movie (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=894352). I am not planning on seeing it because I know I would find it too annoying to sit through, but it looks like it has some good examples of what might happen if your plan is flawed.

If my friends haven't made their own arrangements, I don't see why I should be responsible for them. Also, I anticipate making "new friends", really "new employees", after the crisis starts. I'd make this idiot clear new fields of rocks for 16 hours a day for two weeks before I would even begin to consider letting him stay on indefinitely.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We meet at a rendezvous point at a certain time. If they don't show, they have time to meet at 2nd point. If they aren't there... They is d-e-a-d. No rescuing going on in here...
Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

^
Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

I think about this everyday. I will most likely have (if they show) 10-20 vets at my door asking me where's the ammo at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 02-26-2014, 11:30 AM

I have an extra pistol, rifle, and a shotgun for each person in my immediate family. After that they are on their own except my SO and children.
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 AM

If I rescue them.. who is keeping my family safe? Hard call....
Old 02-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Most of my "friends" think I'm crazy for having more than a couple boxes of ammo.

So, no. Good luck to them.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:06 PM

friends NO ( they are grown enough to make their own decisions on life) family immediate and extended yes most of my family are out of the state so we have meeting places in each state we all live in. to meet everyone has the directions and or has been to the spots before. I am sticking with the family as we are all hunters and fisherman and together we all provide a well established ground for survival.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM

My Family and Brethren. We are bound by Religion and family. We have only their best interest at heart.

There is only strength in numbers, stand alone, die alone.

It is good to see so many are not ready. Make no mistake, necessity is a cold hearted prick and keeps no friends.

Your first self sufficiency reference guide should be a bible.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

^ I think Noah had the right idea about saving a bunch of animals instead of saving a bunch of people. If food supplies run low, you can always eat the animals.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
My Family and Brethren. We are bound by Religion and family. We have only their best interest at heart.

There is only strength in numbers, stand alone, die alone.

It is good to see so many are not ready. Make no mistake, necessity is a cold hearted prick and keeps no friends.

Your first self sufficiency reference guide should be a bible.

I'll just lop a grenade while you're all huddling in the cold and voila!!! No more!
Old 02-26-2014, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

Most of my friends have stated they will come to me, so I guess I don't have to look for them.

However I did tell them if they come I ain't opening the door unless they are bring food, guns/ammo, female companionship...

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 02-26-2014, 2:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

After a large destructive Earthquake here in Southern California, really the only situation that would be widespread, we plan to stay home and offer up help and food to anyone in need. Family, friends and strangers.

We could expect no electricity, no gas and/or electric. Roads could be torn up, with overpasses collapsed. Various areas will be on fire. Might be people hurt, car loads of families stranded far from home. They need food and shelter and my house is available.

In our Orange County neighborhood I don't think any roaming gang members will be in our area on short notice and if we lived in South Central, I would tighten up a bit.

Something like this could last several weeks and we are prepared.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 02-26-2014, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
We meet at a rendezvous point at a certain time. If they don't show, they have time to meet at 2nd point. If they aren't there... They is d-e-a-d. No rescuing going on in here...
^^this^^
Old 02-26-2014, 3:00 PM

i actually plan on heading to my friends place that has the most ammo
Old 02-26-2014, 3:07 PM

I would render aid to any who show up at my door but it won't be much -- maybe just a bite to eat. I would ask them to go out and search for supplies as I don't want them coming back around empty handed. In this way, I'll be helping them to help themselves as well as surrounding myself with a group of water carriers and materiel searchers. I would not want to be making any enemies during a time of great stress.
Old 02-26-2014, 3:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Family only and one friend that is more family to me than most of my family.
Old 02-26-2014, 3:13 PM

Other than my immediate family I have no other family within a 1,000 miles of me, but I'd help a few close friends. In a shtf I might want a couple friends who are good shots to stay at my place, their places aren't nearly as secure.
Old 02-26-2014, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I have two sets of young friends. They're good people, the kind you'd WANT to be around after the dust settles, to help bring the world back online.

They've been alternately starving students, and taking care of ill aged parents and starting their own family. They have not had the years and money that I have had to "get ready". I'm going to need what they have to offer, and they're going to need what I have to offer. I don't hold it against them that they aren't as ready as I am, even so, they are doing what they can and making amazing progress.

They know they're welcome at my place when the balloon goes up, but they also know they'll be required to participate and bring what they can, and they are pleased to have that opportunity.

Would I take in just anybody? Hell no. Would I take in friends we've know for years, just because we've known them for years? I think not. But people who have the right mindset, who are doing what they can to be ready also? Who will be an asset and not a drain on resources? I can't stand a watch by myself 24/7 and even splitting it with the wife leaves precious little time for anything else. If I have to leave the house, I'm without someone to watch my six and she's without anyone to help hold down the fort.

We need friends, and they will need us.
Old 02-26-2014, 6:49 PM
Banned

No family lives close enough to worry about. My "friends" are of like mind as me and we already plan on getting together. Some non-prepared acquaintances have skills that will be useful and will be selectively accepted into the group.
Old 02-26-2014, 6:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
^^^^^This and doing best get them to prep ahead
Old 02-26-2014, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
No family lives close enough to worry about. My "friends" are of like mind as me and we already plan on getting together. Some non-prepared acquaintances have skills that will be useful and will be selectively accepted into the group.
Yes, I think the "skills" aspect is key, along with their willingness to work and be loyal to you. You are trying to build some type of organization that replaces the functions of the society that has collapsed. One of the people on my short list to recruit would be a doctor, nurse or paramedic. It's a lot easier to stockpile medical supplies then it is to learn what to do with them. It wouldn't matter to me one bit whether this person had done any prepping themselves.
Old 02-27-2014, 1:53 PM

I always debate this, in terms of numbers and food supplies.

On one hand, numbers is good, in terms of strength.

But the more people you have, the more food they will eat.
So if friends are planning to come to your place, be sure they know
to keep a couple plastic storage containers of food to bring with them.
I figure even someone living in an apartment, could have one or two
of those plastic bins in a closet, full of canned food...

Now if it's just a short-term SHTF, like an earthquake, I'd have no
problem sharing my preps with friends who came by.
Old 02-27-2014, 2:51 PM

Friends, no.

My sister/husband, mother and aunt live in the SFV. I would make sure we all get together. Between us we have enough supplies spread out to survive a nice little disaster here and my brother in law's family has a farm somewhere else...and they are hard core preppers so if SHTF, we are making our way there (and yes, they have asked us to come).

The cool thing is my mom stores food just out of habit (that pre/post WWII mentality) and since my father passed she's been learning how to use a gun.

Like many of you, I always get the "Well if SHTF we are coming to your house" from our friends...but I always respond with "Well you'd better bring something pretty incredible to the table or you will have wasted you time getting here". I have to shake my head though when people admit that they see things going south and know they should be doing something but dont.
Old 02-27-2014, 3:28 PM

Ive tried to persuade my family and closest friends to prepare themselves for the unknown and only a select few have taken my advice. I can only do so much and dont have the space and disposable income to prepare for them. If I started taking on additional people, they would literally eat into my preps. I would probably give them a gun, ammo, and a small amount of food and water and send them on their way.

Anyone who wishes to join my "group" must supply something useful like food, water, or useful and needed skills. Its unfortunate, but at that point its all about surviving.
Old 02-27-2014, 5:42 PM

I have several planned routes between work and my daughters school. Everyone else until I reach her is just an obstacle.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 5:56 PM
CGSSA Associate

+1, agreed. And **** we're in the same neighborhood, we'll wave as we go by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman321 View Post
I have several planned routes between work and my daughters school. Everyone else until I reach her is just an obstacle.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 6:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Selectively, yes.

When people I know, especially those I work with, tell me they're going to head to my house in case of SHTF, I just tell them not to show up empty handed.

No elaboration ...
Old 02-27-2014, 6:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Selectively, yes.

When people I know, especially those I work with, tell me they're going to head to my house in case of SHTF, I just tell them not to show up empty handed.

No elaboration ...
Old 02-27-2014, 6:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

I am a bug-in'er, not a bug-out'er.
I have advised a few select neighbors and friends on preparations, but have also advised them that if they do not prepare, under no circumstance will I have anything supplies to share.
I guess that's what you'd call tough love.
Old 02-27-2014, 6:25 PM
CGSSA Associate

So, then what happens when a neighbor, coworker, friend, shows with nothing in hand? Tough decision, as they can now be a threat, or at least draw attention to your residence...
Old 02-27-2014, 7:01 PM

Let's remember that not everyone is out to get us, and it most likely will not be as bad as we see it in our minds WROL. I know we prep food. water, and guns for defense, but lets try to keep our empathy towards others as much as possible. Maybe prep some food and water bottles to get people you don't want moving along and out of your area. The reason we all (Just a hunch) want to CCW is to stop an evil threat to others and ourselves. I know I never forget my EDC knife, and practice quickly deploying, after my campus got shot up last year.

In my preparation for earthquake, we will all be bugging in for awhile in LA. The GF holds down the fort with my AR as I go out (armed of course) to ensure anyone in my vicinity needs help or dug out. If I am alone, I'm sure the GF would head here soon as she immediately realizes I'm not crazy, and prepping was a damn good idea. Probably the only good to come out of disaster is our vindication over ridicule of prepping.

How do we address the event when people notice you are super comfortable bugging in awhile before bailing the city? Surely people will know you have supplies because you aren't running to the store, or the slightest worried. Is there a "nice", un-provoking way to let people know that they will not get anything without disclosing the firepower and defenses you have to protect your preps?

Sorry for the novel length posting.

Last edited by williamcm; 02-27-2014 at 7:03 PM..
Old 02-27-2014, 7:05 PM

Get plan with close freinds. Everyone buys bullets
Old 02-27-2014, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

All you people need to watch this video to show you how quick things go south. Learn from it and don't make the same mistakes. The last 20 min or so is where you really see how it can go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 02-28-2014, 7:03 AM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasND View Post
Selectively, yes.

No elaboration ...
This^^^^

Family, I'll always help out plus they will not be a burden as they have skills/supplies.

All my friends will not need rescuing. Should their position become compromised, they know that they can fall back to mine with their provisions and be safe. Likewise I can do the same with them should I have to flee my position.

Empty handed and no skill acquaintances/coworkers/people will not make it past the perimeter.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 02-28-2014, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamcm View Post
How do we address the event when people notice you are super comfortable bugging in awhile before bailing the city? Surely people will know you have supplies because you aren't running to the store, or the slightest worried. Is there a "nice", un-provoking way to let people know that they will not get anything without disclosing the firepower and defenses you have to protect your preps?
I think, yes. Simply notice how the neighborhood sheeples are acting and copy them, when you have some time to spare. This might including begging, pleading, crying, moaning, running around and generally acting like you are clueless and caught completely off-guard. Your fellow sheeples will then leave you alone. Also, maybe spread rumors that any neighbors that you dislike are sitting on a mountain of supplies and are cruelly keeping it to themselves.
Old 02-28-2014, 9:41 AM
CGSSA Associate

I've had many friends tell me they are coming over when SHTF. I reply by letting them know if they aren't bringing food or valuable services, they are just another zombie in a horde.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 02-28-2014, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

I'm going nowhere. If they can make it here, I have a spot on a large perimeter block wall they can defend. And I'd really hope that this never has to happen.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
I have an extra pistol, rifle, and a shotgun for each person in my immediate family. After that they are on their own except my SO and children.
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
I would render aid to any who show up at my door but it won't be much -- maybe just a bite to eat. I would ask them to go out and search for supplies as I don't want them coming back around empty handed. In this way, I'll be helping them to help themselves as well as surrounding myself with a group of water carriers and materiel searchers. I would not want to be making any enemies during a time of great stress.
by doing that they know you are sitting on a stash, word would spread quickly and your preps will be gone.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:17 AM

I don't know about "being responsible" for my friends, but I'm definitely preparing to help others. In most SHTF situations where I've found myself, I've had more than enough resources for just my family, and have been able to share food, water, and shelter. Often who's got a home and who doesn't comes down to chance (where the hidden fault lines are, where a fire broke out, etc.), and I live by "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

But judiciously deciding to share with others is not the same as robotically giving anything I'm asked for. I'm only "responsible for" my own family, and before my Lord for my own actions and decisions.

Check out my recent article about how people are more likely to help one another than to go looting and pillaging after a disaster.