Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-15-2013, 9:01 PM

Default shotgun shells

ive been out of the shotgun scene for a while, so many new types of shells out there nowadays. my question is if i were to use slugs or buckshot, whats the best one to use in a 870 express? the only type of shells ive ever used is birdshot.
also for home defense what do you all suggest? ive heard of people alternating between slug and buckshot or slug and birdshot. thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 9:30 PM

I Bought some hornady critical defense 00 buckshot for my 870. Very happy with the results. Nice groups at 25 yards, Heard good things about federal too
Old 02-15-2013, 9:31 PM

Only 2 3/4" or 3" shells in the express. Buy a couple different brands and see what works for you.
Old 02-15-2013, 9:42 PM

i keep 00 buck in Mossberg 500 for home defense...'cept the very last shell (first one that goes into the tube when loading) is a slug.
in my minds eye, if the 4 shells of 00 dont stop the threat, then the slug definitely will.

originally, i used to keep it with; 7 1/2 oz birdshot first in line, followed by 3 shells of 00 buck, and last was the slug.
i was worried about over penetration, hence the birdshot being the first round to chamber....followed by the 00 in case the birdshot didnt stop the threat.

however, after talking to a friend of mine that was a Sheriff for many years, he told me he wouldnt trust his life to birdshot...specially against a big guy on drugs...wearing heavy clothing.
that^ got me thinking....and switching back to 00 buck and slugs.
AR's have finally become full blown "men's barbie dolls" now with fashion accessories.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM

Suggest looking at Federal Law Enforcement Low Recoil Flight Control Wad. Difficult to find right now, but well worth it.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 PM

assuming you are looking for factory shells and not wanting to reload

I like the 00 buck form hornady with the versatite wad or federals with the flight control wad, both have shown to keep good groups with that wad. Interestingly though hornady loads with 8 pellets and federal's has 9.

when it comes to buckshot I don't like nickel or copper plated, I want the pellets to deform on the target like a hollow point would, that way it transfers as much energy as possible

when it comes to slugs for smooth bore I have had really good experience with Remington sluggers, I have a friend that swears by federal truball slugs.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 PM

Winchester PDX1 12
http://www.winchester.com/Products/N...s/pdx1-12.aspx

Last edited by glenn.ma; 02-16-2013 at 2:32 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.ma View Post
I second this, low recoiling, with slug and three buck shots. I shot some of this ammo last time i was out at the range, my shot gun is currently a remington wingmaster with saw off style pistol grip with a 16inch barrel. The shortest legal lenth both for barrel and overall.

"Gun control is like trying
to reduce drunk driving
by making it tougher for
sober people to own cars"
Old 02-20-2013, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appagohm View Post
I second this, low recoiling, with slug and three buck shots. I shot some of this ammo last time i was out at the range, my shot gun is currently a remington wingmaster with saw off style pistol grip with a 16inch barrel. The shortest legal lenth both for barrel and overall.
16" barrel?,, you sure about that

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 AM

#4 magnum Winchester green box for HD for me. As for plinking I use the cheap rio 00 and federal target loads along with a slug or two. Havent really taken my mossy out since the recent ammo rush
Old 02-16-2013, 11:36 PM

thanks for all the good info, its exactly what i was looking for.
Old 02-17-2013, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

I picked up some Rio Royal Star reduced recoil slugs for pretty cheap and could not even get them on paper at 25 yards, they dropped so fast. I also picked up some Rio Royal 00 Buckshot and it performed and patterned great. Best part is that it cost $2.50/5 shells.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:50 PM

My choice for HD is #1 buck, though it is difficult to find. Next up is OO.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM

I personally use centurion buck and ball, I've done a bit of testing with it. My house is fairly small and it has a good spread at about 10-20 feet. They have a hell of a kick though.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantedamean View Post
I personally use centurion buck and ball, I've done a bit of testing with it. My house is fairly small and it has a good spread at about 10-20 feet. They have a hell of a kick though.
I like the buck and ball too, but sometimes the spent shell doesn't extract from one of my guns. Thats a pretty nasty load ain't it?
"Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.
"Bubba" is what he and his ugly and ruined rifle really are.
First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.
Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM

I have 8 in the tube of 00-buck and five in the side saddle of PDX1. I will probably get rid of the PDX1's in favor of straight slug (segmenting PDX slugs or some Hexolit32's would be nice).

My thought is if you want 00-buck you probably don't want the (over) penetration of a slug and if you want a slug you don't want three pellets of 00-buck going God knows where...

-Ruskie
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuskieShooter View Post
My thought is if you want 00-buck you probably don't want the (over) penetration of a slug and if you want a slug you don't want three pellets of 00-buck going God knows where...

-Ruskie
I could not agree with you more.