Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-03-2013, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

Default I just sporterized my K31, boy that wood cuts easy.

So I had this nice old K31.
It came with a clamp on scope mount, and I've been getting about 1moa out of her on a good day, but my big problem was getting my eye onto the side mounted scope.

So I got out the band saw, hacked out a riser epoxied the hardware in place an here she is, not much to look at but, I can get a good repeatable sight picture and cheek weld now.

Untitled by harmoniums, on Flickr

I put some flowers in the background because I know there are a lot of ladies on the forum

By the way, the original stock, hangaurd and associated accoutrements are safe, this was a junker stock used for the experiment

VZ58 PARTS F/S - I've got everything except magazine parts
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4463589767_99f967084c_o.jpg

Last edited by harmoniums; 02-03-2013 at 6:27 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 4:37 AM

Looks like you have the Swiss Products muzzle break and bipod interface (http://www.swissproductsllc.com/). If the stock was already modified (ie. non-collectible and worth much less) then your modifications for the riser don't lower its value.

While I prefer to not modify original stocks, I found that I prefer a strap-on check rest. Something like the M1 Garand leather version would look and work well on a K31 with a centerline scope arrangement (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/860...a-usgi-leather).

With that said, I think you did a very fine job making the riser. Since the clamp-on scope you are using is non-centerline, it looks like your eye can get behind the scope better than when using a pad.

I expect you should be able to get a good and consistent sight picture. What has been your experience? Have you tried it out yet at the range?

I also notice your muzzle break is the Swiss Products version that is supposed reduce recoil a lot. How well is it working for you?

Last edited by derry; 02-04-2013 at 4:39 AM.. Reason: Minor edit, removed overly long Grafs link for Swiss Products
Old 02-04-2013, 8:42 AM

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's blood you got boiling for a bit ;-)

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 02-04-2013, 9:10 AM

god i hate you so much right now.
"If the American Left wanted to decrease interest in shooting, they should have the government make it mandatory like they do here in Switzerland. Nothing makes you not want to do something like when the government makes you do it."

"I'm over you." -Citadelgrad87

Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM

Guns are for shooting, not for looking at. I can't afford to own any gun that isn't already sitting in a museum somewhere so I can put a plastic stock on my gun without disrupting this time line.

If someone doesn't like what you've done with your property that you paid for with your own money, just look them in the eye and say, "You don't have to shoot it comrade."
I do think it was good you kept the original stock though. Some experiments go wrong... horribly wrong. Since it worked, yours was not one of those!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 AM

very funny.... very funny...
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

glad that was not a wonderful Mosin you screwed up.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Each to own (I guess) but.....
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 02-04-2013, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

Watch out Harms, Glennsche is gonna kill you when he gets here. I remember how proud he was of those K31s when we went to the range to try and find out what was better. (Mauser and Enfield are better than K31 for the record).

Edit:
Uh oh, he's already here...
Old 02-05-2013, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Watch out Harms, Glennsche is gonna kill you when he gets here. I remember how proud he was of those K31s when we went to the range to try and find out what was better. (Mauser and Enfield are better than K31 for the record).

Edit:
Uh oh, he's already here...
Still to busy to participate, but maybe by the end of march. Pretty cool job Harmoniums.

And Crusader.. For the record.... Check the Camp Perry results for the past 4 years.

www.swissproductsusa.com
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo View Post
Still to busy to participate, but maybe by the end of march. Pretty cool job Harmoniums.

And Crusader.. For the record.... Check the Camp Perry results for the past 4 years.
I mean no offense, it was just funny to see 3 guys shoot their 3 favorite rifles and I think the K31 was the only one without problems. I owned a K31 for a while and I loved it, I just can't stand owning firearms I can't shoot often and at the time there was no way I could afford the prices that 7.5 was sitting at.
I do miss that rifle though, I loved the history and the ID tag in the buttplate, so cool.
Old 02-13-2013, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I mean no offense, it was just funny to see 3 guys shoot their 3 favorite rifles and I think the K31 was the only one without problems.
No offense taken at all!
Weather here is very AlGore like for feb in Montana. 42 today when it should be in the 20's. Still insanely busy here at the studio but I am getting in k31 and zfk55 time on the weekends.

And as for "Where Have All the Mosins Gone".............

(Sung to the tune of the Kingston Trio's song, Where Have All The FLowers Gone)

Where have all the Mosins gone..
Long time passing.

Where have all the Mosins gone..
Long Time ago..

Where have all the Mosins gone....
Gone for K31s every one.

When will they ever learn?
When will they evvverrr learn?

www.swissproductsusa.com
Old 02-13-2013, 8:47 AM
Banned

Ahahahaha flowers for the lady's! I don't care who you are! That's funny right there!
Old 02-04-2013, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

screw 'em if they can't take a joke i say. looks like you've done some nice work there and i wouldn't begrudge you whether or not you saved the original stock. it's your rifle so it's none of our business if you paint it pink and put 30-inch rims on it. as it stands, you've done a tasteful and funtional modification to make it more pleasant to shoot, for yourself, and that's what matters. all i'll ask is this: does it work better for you? if so, damn what anybody else thinks. in my opinion it doesn't look half bad either. well done sir. enjoy
Old 02-04-2013, 9:48 PM

dang, I thought this was gonna be a Swiss Mare's Leg thread.

Looks nice! Kind of a poor man's ZFKar.
Old 02-04-2013, 9:47 PM

Although I agree that one's own rifle is one's property and as the owner you have the right to do with it what you will. You understand your needs and limitations better than we do and can make decisions of that information we do not have. That is why I was very civil in post #2 above.

My desire to engage the original poster in dialog about his rifle and usage was to learn more of his situation, even though at that time it seemed his perspective differed greatly from mine. Who knows what I could learn? I was willing to avoid being close-minded and boldly engaged, hoping to really learn something new.

With all that said, my perspective and feelings are well captured in the quote below by Malcolm Cobb, talking about the Martini Henry. Just as many of us would not destroy (modernize) our historic home (unrelated to any government restrictions), we might want to take the same perspective with our rifles.

"That isn't your Martini you have. It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it an pass it on with pride. It deserves it"....Malcolm Cobb The Martini-Henry Note-Book.
Old 02-05-2013, 6:01 AM
Veteran Member

I tried a Garand cheek pad, but it slipped around quite a bit.
The nice thing about the riser hardware I used is that it also has lateral movement, so I could move the riser over to the right to get it more in line with the scope. It gives me about a half inch rise and moves it over to the right a half inch

Old 02-05-2013, 6:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

How does it shoot?
Old 02-05-2013, 9:00 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
How does it shoot?
My question too.
Old 02-05-2013, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

I wont get to the range for another two weeks to see how she shoots, I'll post a target when I do get it tried out.

The riser hardware is made by a company called "100 Straight" and I bought it on midway

Old 02-05-2013, 8:53 AM

I like the riser, although I would have left the stock full length. Where did you get the hardware for the riser mechanism?
Old 02-12-2013, 2:04 AM

you sob! you almost gave me a heart attack...why oh why do people bubba guns, glad you did it to a **** stock
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
In Memoriam

A K31 was designed to perform best at 328 yards matches, it took the Swiss 7 years to get the gun finished to be a winner over the long barreled rifles.

I'm sorry but this gun is no-where no more at that distance....

Gen. Henri Guisan, Switzerland, July '40

Swissrifles.com forum;
http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/

Email: guisan-info@bluewin.ch