Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 PM
low94noma

Default A Vent/Social thread.

I was a Sheriff Explorer in the past for around a year and a half. Learned and picked up many great things to take with me in my future.

While taking college courses in Criminal Justice at a local Junior College, one of my Criminal Justice Professors, an ex LEO, made some comments along the well being of some of our states officers. He stated when things get stressful, a LEO does not have resources to vent to. He stated many departments used to encourage only befriending members of the LE community. I guess it has something to do with social well being of an officer. Research was done into it and they reversed this suggestion finding out that officers were holding back their issues.

I have not been involved in the LE community enough to know the different social interactions between LEO's. I myself do not know if I will end up working for a department, I am in the process of trying to get on with an ambulance company.

What I am getting at is if there are any LEO's in the San Joaquin Valley area that want to grab a beer when I turn 21 in July or Bullsh** while catching striper along the Delta, give me a shout. Just looking for some LE friends to befriend. Lost contact with everyone from the Sheriffs department. I do not think EMS and LE personnel are getting credit they deserve from some of the people who do not understand the duties involved with the professions.

Last edited by low94noma; 05-11-2009 at 12:12 AM..
Old 05-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by low94noma View Post
I was a Sheriff Explorer in the past for around a year and a half. Learned and picked up many great things to take with me in my future.

While taking college courses in Criminal Justice at a local Junior College, one of my Criminal Justice Professors, an ex LEO, made some comments along the well being of some of our states officers. He stated when things get stressful, a LEO does not have resources to vent to. He stated many departments used to encourage only befriending members of the LE community. I guess it has something to do with social well being of an officer. Research was done into it and they reversed this suggestion finding out that officers were holding back their issues.

I have not been involved in the LE community enough to know the different social interactions between LEO's. I myself do not know if I will end up working for a department, I am in the process of trying to get on with an ambulance company.
You were a Sheriff Explorer, and then took college courses in Criminal Justice and that led you to an amubulance company?

Figure that out and exercise your mind.....
Old 05-12-2009, 12:55 AM

I have a couple of friends that went from an interest in LE to being EMT's (in CA and outside CA). They seem to enjoy the work immensely. One eventually went on to medical school and is a practicing MD in Oregon, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestaterebel View Post
You were a Sheriff Explorer, and then took college courses in Criminal Justice and that led you to an amubulance company?
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 05-12-2009, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low94noma View Post

What I am getting at is if there are any LEO's in the San Joaquin Valley area that want to grab a beer when I turn 21 in July or Bullsh** while catching striper along the Delta, give me a shout. Just looking for some LE friends to befriend. Lost contact with everyone from the Sheriffs department. I do not think EMS and LE personnel are getting credit they deserve from some of the people who do not understand the duties involved with the professions.
On a slightly difference tangent-- FWIW if you are stressed Chaplains are a great resource to unburden yourself to in complete confidence and off the record.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM
low94noma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestaterebel View Post
Lol, I know how that sounds, I can not really explain how that happened either. I wanted some medical experience under my belt and really ended up enjoying the course. I am just torn between both directions. I will still probably get my degree in Criminal Justice though. It is all too early to say. I know what you mean, how did point A lead to point Z.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 PM
low94noma

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
I have a couple of friends that went from an interest in LE to being EMT's (in CA and outside CA). They seem to enjoy the work immensely. One eventually went on to medical school and is a practicing MD in Oregon, now.
I am hoping to get this job to get a taste of the field. Kind of feel it out and see if it is right for me. I look at it as if I can always go to a police academy later on, or after that, go back to an ambulance company.
Old 05-12-2009, 5:14 PM
Jonathan Doe

Departments have ways to help officers in need. It is up to them if they want to use the resources. For me, I shoot in my department shooting team. Practicing with my teammates and reloading, researching... gets me relax. No stress.