Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 PM

Default Decent safe or are there better under $400?

Hey what's up guys. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this safe it's the Liberty Centurion 12 Gun Safe. Would this be a good safe to start off with or are there any other safes that are better for under $400. I want to stick to Gun Safes and not Gun Cabinets. Thanks guys.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_387166-10283...rty&facetInfo=
Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 PM

That safe is fairly easy to pry open you could probably do it with just the back of the hammer. But then again some protection is better than none at all. Any way you might want to spend more on you safe than the cost of a good quality firearm and check out some stores that specialize in safes not a home improvement store where the criminal can learn how to break it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Its better than stashing them under your bed. If you have the room buy the BIGGEST you can afford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 PM

BIG HORN is on sale again at Costco, $652.00 delivered
Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks a little small.

Google, 'Gang Box'. It is a big tool box that a work crew works out of on a job site. It is designed to keep those who already have hand tools out of your tool box when you are not around.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Save up and get yourself something bigger and better.

Quality aside, you will not get 12 long guns in that 12 gun safe. Unless maybe you have a bunch of lever actions with basic irons, or something else with an extremely slim profile. Pistol grips sticking out will interfere with other guns, optics will cause the rifle to sit away from the wall taking up space from the opposite side, a bolt handle will take up the space next to the rifle unless you don't mind things touching, a bolt handle on a rifle at the front might even interfere with the door closing.

6-8 long guns tops.

Haven't even gotten to handguns yet. Well, if it has a shelf on the top you might be able to set a few there. If there isn't enough clearance between the inside of the door and where the rifles sit you can toss the idea of hanging handguns from the door right out the window. You might be able to get those hangers to hang handguns off the shelf, assuming that the guns aren't too big or heavy, and they don't get too low in the way of the long guns.

There are 5, maybe 6 guns in that picture(same liberty centurion 12 gun safe) and it's already about out of room.
Old 10-09-2013, 5:14 AM
Veteran Member

Think they dont make those Centurion 12s anymore, they were on clearance everywhere. Get a Bighorn from costco.com. On sale at the moment for 599
Old 10-09-2013, 5:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's not bad, but safes of that size will be $250 around Thanksgiving. Wait a month and everything will be on sale, it's the best time of year to get big ticket items.

As others have said, get the biggest one you can afford.
Old 10-09-2013, 5:30 AM
CGSSA Associate

It's decent for the money, but like every safe I've ever seen, it's not likely to fit much more than half of what it says it'll fit. Unless you like banging your rifles against each other or emptying the entire safe to get the rifle out of the back.
Old 10-09-2013, 7:19 AM
Calguns Addict

+1...
Old 10-09-2013, 7:32 AM

Wait until Black Friday, Turners usually has doorbusters and great sales on safes.
Old 10-09-2013, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

I have one and it's okay, but if you add another hundred or two it would probably get you to "the next tier" of quality.

It's definitely better than what I had before, which was no safe, only a locking hard case. I feel a little more secure knowing that there's something to slow them down a little, as opposed to having all my stuff in a nice convenient carrying case with a handle and everything.

It's in a corner to make it more difficult to get prying tools in there with any real leverage and it's bolted down.

Merc is correct... as with most safes, you're not going to get anywhere near the number of long guns in there that they rate it for, especially if they have optics on them. I have 5 long guns in mine and depending which one I want to grab, I may have to move something to get to it. 2 are pistol grips, and 4 of the 5 have optics on them, (3 tube scopes and 1 reflex type) so you could probably fit a couple more depending what you have.

I knew going in that this was not going to be an impenetrable fortress, but it was all I could justify at the time (especially to my wife) and it's a far sight better than nothing, or a Big 5 type locking cabinet.

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Costco....

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Last year on Black Friday Tractor Supply had a nice Winchester safe on sale for $500-$550.
Old 10-09-2013, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Save up and get yourself something bigger and better.

Quality aside, you will not get 12 long guns in that 12 gun safe. Unless maybe you have a bunch of lever actions with basic irons, or something else with an extremely slim profile. Pistol grips sticking out will interfere with other guns, optics will cause the rifle to sit away from the wall taking up space from the opposite side, a bolt handle will take up the space next to the rifle unless you don't mind things touching, a bolt handle on a rifle at the front might even interfere with the door closing.

6-8 long guns tops.

Haven't even gotten to handguns yet. Well, if it has a shelf on the top you might be able to set a few there. If there isn't enough clearance between the inside of the door and where the rifles sit you can toss the idea of hanging handguns from the door right out the window. You might be able to get those hangers to hang handguns off the shelf, assuming that the guns aren't too big or heavy, and they don't get too low in the way of the long guns.

There are 5, maybe 6 guns in that picture(same liberty centurion 12 gun safe) and it's already about out of room.
I only have 1 long gun and a handgun and plan on getting two stripped lowers to later build two ARs so fitting 8 long guns tops isn't a problem.
Old 10-09-2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfired View Post
Wait until Black Friday, Turners usually has doorbusters and great sales on safes.
I am all for Black Friday, but the problem is that turners is too far away. Doubt they deliver.
Old 10-09-2013, 3:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdahs13 View Post
I only have 1 long gun and a handgun and plan on getting two stripped lowers to later build two ARs so fitting 8 long guns tops isn't a problem.
lol, ok. We'll see about that in a couple years
Old 10-09-2013, 3:30 PM

Winchester makes great like 28-34 gun, gun safes for around $700..(at least I know they are $700 @ TSC in auburn) they do have a smaller 14-18 or something for around 4 I'd buy over that one any day of the week.
Old 10-10-2013, 6:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdahs13 View Post
Hey what's up guys. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this safe it's the Liberty Centurion 12 Gun Safe. Would this be a good safe to start off with or are there any other safes that are better for under $400. I want to stick to Gun Safes and not Gun Cabinets. Thanks guys.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_387166-10283...rty&facetInfo=
Looks good for the price.

I'd just recommend making sure you have other stuff to back it up (like a home security system) so they can't just walk in with a dolly and roll it out.
Old 10-10-2013, 7:52 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'll be blunt. Safes in this price range are basically good for keeping your kids from accessing your guns, so get what fits your guns and future guns. If you want real security, you have to pay a hell of a lot more.
Old 10-10-2013, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

^^^ I agree with this. The two smaller safes I have, I use to store ammo. I have seen safes removed from houses during burglaries. If you shop around you can find deals on safes.

I recently bought a new Cannon, and the price started at $4200.00. After going through a few companies, I was able to get it for $2700.00 delivered into my house in AZ. There is a lot of markup on safes, so there is room for the dealers to move on price. $2700.00 is still a lot of money, but for a 1500 pound 48 guns safe I think it's a good deal.

Last edited by 1CavScout; 12-23-2013 at 9:15 AM..
Old 10-10-2013, 8:28 AM

I bought a used one on craigslist that was made in 1982. It was $350 a few years ago and was made much better than the newer ones. I went to Ammo Bros a few weeks ago and knocked on top of their safes and it sounded like thin sheet metal. Just remember what ever you get to bolt it down and realize a safe is really just to slow bad guys down and keep your firearms away from children. I do agree get the biggest one you can afford they tend to fill up fast.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM

I had one, Picked it up at Lowes for about 425 OTD. Great safe for the money, You won't find a better safe for around the price IMO.

Just make sure you bolt it down because it's very light, about 220 pounds.
Old 10-10-2013, 1:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default slockbox

dont skimp on it man you will regret it. you can get a much better safe for just a few hundred bux more...

poster suggested the Big Horn @ Costco...These are awesome for under 700
http://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-19ECB-....11625662.html

good luck
Old 10-10-2013, 1:39 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Costco...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 10-11-2013, 7:56 PM

Thanks Guys Will look into getting a better one.
Old 10-12-2013, 9:51 PM

I am organizing sturdy safe group buy. Check it out in safe section or search
Old 10-13-2013, 6:38 AM

I have the previous version. I would have purchased a larger safe but I wanted to mount it out of sight, so this was the best safe available for the price, and a upgrade from my Stack On cabinet. I purchased a door accessory so that I can store handguns on there, which helps utilize what space there is. I use gun socks on my rifles to protect them.