Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-03-2018, 5:05 PM

Default Architectural techniques of old, used to keep houses cool and warm

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a resource that goes over techniques used by builders of yesteryear to keep houses warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Examples include:
  • Tall ceilings to allow summer heat to rise
  • Transoms over the inner doors to allow air movement throughout the house
  • Light colored house paint to reflect the sun
  • Cooking chimneys on outside walls to reduce radiant heat from entering the house
  • Porches and roof over hangs to reduce heat and produce air flow
  • Thick Thermal mass walls to slow the heat transfer by 12 hours so the warm day temps reach the interior at night and vice-a-versa
  • Centralized heating fireplaces to warm the entire house
  • Storm windows

Last edited by TheChief; 04-03-2018 at 5:08 PM..
Old 04-03-2018, 5:07 PM

I am looking to build a vacation/retirement/bug out location cabin and want to have considerations for it being a sustainable home even without the luxuries of modern appliances and utilities which it will also have.
Old 04-03-2018, 7:30 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

New Zealand article - http://www.level.org.nz/passive-desi...-introduction/

Don't see anything easily identifiable as California colonial architecture, or Mediterranean/Roman

Current buzzword appears to be 'passive design'

ETA - here https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...9526351400003X is a very interesting study of a villa in Dubai.

And here's an article on solar chimneys and Trombe walls.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 04-03-2018 at 9:51 PM..
Old 04-03-2018, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

A friend in San diego had a house that was built in the 1920's or so. There was a cabenet in the kitchen where 1/4" slots had been routered in all the shelves at about 1" spacing and vent in the floor and ceiling. I assume it was some way to bring the cool air from under the house through convection to keep food cool in the summers.
Old 04-04-2018, 6:49 AM

My grandparents house had a heat-o-lator built into their chimney. That thing would heat the whole house (probably 1000 sq ft) in a few minutes with a small fire.

Old 04-04-2018, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

When I was a kid we would ride horseback for a few days to get to a great old cabin.

1. The front entrance had a 10' wide porch that the roof extended over, great for sitting when it rained, great for keeping our saddles dry and a place to cleanup before entering, in extreme summer heat a place to sleep.

2. Cabin was one great room with a stone fireplace on the center back wall, 12 foot ceilings and roof pitched for snow, wooden great table and wooden table chairs, a couple of comfortable wooden reading chairs, we slept on the wood floor, kiss.

3. Rear right side, was a door that went outside, had a covered walkway that lead to the cook house. Small house that had an old cast iron propane powered stove and area for food prep, sink, we fetched water from the creek. Back of the cook house had a large propane cylinder that probably lasted for decades.

So the main cabin did not have all the smell and heat generated by food prep.

I know modern design wants to include the food prep into the goings on but I really liked the separation and have always thought a cabin I would build for myself.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 04-04-2018, 2:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
A friend in San diego had a house that was built in the 1920's or so. There was a cabenet in the kitchen where 1/4" slots had been routered in all the shelves at about 1" spacing and vent in the floor and ceiling. I assume it was some way to bring the cool air from under the house through convection to keep food cool in the summers.
My gf's dad's house has this feature and he told me the same thing.
Old 04-04-2018, 2:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Study some of the masters Frank Lyod Wright...
http://historylists.org/architecture...ht-houses.html
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 04-04-2018, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

Look up a Beer bottle floor. Very cool stuff. Old school for sure.
Old 04-04-2018, 2:41 PM

a good example are missions built in the 16/1700's. when i was on a surf trip down the baja peninsula we came to a town with a mission built around 1792. it was middle of summer, hot as hell, inside the mission was so nice and cool inside. no shade trees to shade the building.

walls were 3' thick, tall ceilings, 2 stories, not very many windows but a cool breeze would go through the mission
Old 04-04-2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
I am looking to build a vacation/retirement/bug out location cabin and want to have considerations for it being a sustainable home even without the luxuries of modern appliances and utilities which it will also have.
My wife and I are almost done building our country home that we wanted to be as self sustaining as possible. We have blended old technologies with new to create a home that will serve us well no matter the political, civil or economic realities.

For example, we incorporated a wood burning cookstove into our kitchen along with a more familiar propane stove. Propane is more convenient but if it's not available, we can easily cook and heat our house with the wood cookstove. Our wood cookstove also has a water line that runs across the top of the burn box and is connected in a loop to a 40 gallon water tank in the attic above. With the principle of thermo-siphon, water is heated and circulates into the 40 gallon tank above and is available for use any time the wood cookstove is running. We also have a more conventional efficient propane water heater. The stove is made by Margin Stoves out of Canada and is the Flameview model in case your interested in further reading.

Instead of hooking up to the utility grid, we went all off-grid solar with a system large enough to get us through a few cloudy days during the shortest days of winter without forcing us to run a generator or go into super conservation mode until the next sunny day. The cost of the solar system was offset by the cost we would have incurred to run one mile of power poles to the building site had we chosen to be grid connected.

Our 100 acre property features abundant water, privacy, farmable land and decent growing conditions and southern exposure. It has been a lot of work for us but we have put a tremendous amount of thought into selecting the land and then building a home that will be resilient against uncertainties of the future.

We incorporated fire resistive features in construction by using non flammable Hardie board siding and a metal roof. There are no wood decks, brush or flammable materials around the house to catch fire. A hip roof design gives strength against heavy wind which can strike just about anywhere. We elected to have a few thousand gallons of water storage available so that if something went wrong with our well pump, we should have ample time to react to the problem without running out of water. That water is also available for fire fighting if needed.

The journey starts by asking questions and gathering information. If you want to make it happen, let nothing stop you from pursuing your dreams. We started this journey in earnest about 10 years ago when we started very seriously thinking more about "what if."
Old 04-04-2018, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Build along a coastal area with a year-round cold water current off shore and all your problems are solved.
Old 04-04-2018, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Large basement or root cellar helps keep temperature constant.
Old 04-04-2018, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Earth sheltered or earth bermed house for long lasting easy maintenance/repairs and stable year around temps. Easy to cool/heat.
I have seen a good example up close, but here's an example of what I mean. Not necessarily a dome. It's a variation on a theme.
http://www.monolithic.org/homes/home...es-good-or-bad
http://www.momtastic.com/webecoist/2...7-ways-to-diy/

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-05-2018, 7:38 AM

Thumbs up Excellent thread

Great descriptions/ideas...
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=20c9730268&view=fimg&th=15ad3c387b7ea1aa& attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_15ad3c34b07b03d5&a ttbid=ANGjdJ_GOwaOCfqt3OHKm7zY_mRBiORflleilym4tijR cuiC5hGws2oJLyDhF9PhQVXWMa7_jCP_uMAWxJrz5ef-HJcaRLRDzRANo5ScBq6Y0tJJfz6He0c6K0GPTDg&sz=w632-h880&ats=1489612610462&rm=15ad3c387b7ea1aa&zw&atsh =1
Old 04-05-2018, 8:55 AM

The term you'll general hear used for this is "vernacular architecture," largely because each region of the country/world had its own architectural way of dealing with the local climate prior to the proliferation of AC. For instance, architectural devices for dealing with humid heat are different than those for dry heat, and there are considerations for average rainfall, wind, insects, etc.

Here's one of the more frequented forums that is open to anybody to join: http://www.vernaculararchitectureforum.org/.
Old 04-05-2018, 9:30 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns259 View Post
The term you'll general hear used for this is "vernacular architecture," largely because each region of the country/world had its own architectural way of dealing with the local climate prior to the proliferation of AC. For instance, architectural devices for dealing with humid heat are different than those for dry heat, and there are considerations for average rainfall, wind, insects, etc.

Here's one of the more frequented forums that is open to anybody to join: http://www.vernaculararchitectureforum.org/.
OP, a location (Wide area) of your proposed place would be helpful. As stated above. Where you are effects what works best for the area.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:01 AM
In Memoriam

Here’s a fun channel to browse, with many different approaches to building a home:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kirstendirksen

( I’d suggest sorting videos by viewcount, choosing from some of the most popular first. )

Also, Google for

- earthships

- rocket stove mass heater

— Michael
Old 04-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Wasn't there a pinko-commie ban being pushed to prevent wood burners?
Old 04-05-2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Wasn't there a pinko-commie ban being pushed to prevent wood burners?
Yes, can't even put them in in some places. In my area, only EPA certified woodstoves can be installed. Interestingly, wood cookstoves (the kind with an actual stove top and oven) are exempt; I took full advantage of that little known exemption.
Old 04-06-2018, 9:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Some more modern things are:

1. Ridge Vent for passive roof ventilation. We installed when we had our roof redone. It was a HUGE improvement.

2. Plastic wrap under drywall. This increased the tightness of the interior space.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Ridge vents - be careful as we get heavy rains with high winds that blow water up the roof into the ridge vent. Need to engineer this venting properly.
Old 04-17-2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
I'm an architect by vocation. I do mostly multi-family housing...
sfarchitect, why aren't canvas awnings above windows or Caribian-style storm shutters more popular in California (especially SoCal) to help keep homes cooler? Is it a stupid zoning, permitting thing?

Watch my gun and ammo product reviews Moondog Industries
and gadget reviews Moondog R&D |
NRA CRSO | NRA Life Member |
Coyote Point Rifle & Pistol Club Webmaster |
www.MoondogIndustries.com

Last edited by MoondogIndustries; 04-17-2018 at 8:28 PM..
Old 04-18-2018, 7:08 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Earth sheltered or earth bermed house for long lasting easy maintenance/repairs and stable year around temps. Easy to cool/heat...
Yep. Something I learned at Carlsbad Caverns during my visit. The main cave stays at a constant 56 degrees. It gets dang hot there in the summer, and butt-shivering cold in the winter, but the cave stays constant 56. With some creative thinking (and a little bit of electricity), the earth can be your heater and your a/c...
Old 04-19-2018, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
I'm an architect by vocation. I do mostly multi-family housing. My area of expertise happens to be building performance/energy efficiency/acoustics. The three things, along with IAQ (indoor air quality) correlate pretty tightly. I've been into this stuff for forty years.

Much of what was written above was either 'a' pure BS, 'b' written from ignorance or 'c' when something is built in a manner that is wholly climate inappropriate, any, improvement upon nothing is something.

example #1: FLW did not give a s**t about waterproofing, or the energy performance/comfort of his buildings.

example #2, Because of all the transplants California is full of wholly climate inappropriate 'vernacular' architecture. Vernacular architecture developed over centuries, in specific climates as a response to those nice climactic conditions. They are not all interchangeable/appropriate everywhere. Steeply pitched roofs where we get no snow for instance. These steeply pitched rooves on single family homes are often covered in dark colored 'comp' shingles made out of tar that get hot as hell being pummeled by California sun.

example #3: People use ridge vents (or whole house fans for that matter) because their attics/crawlspaces get obscenely hot. Ridge vents invite wind driven bulk moisture (liquid water) into your attic at the exact place where any wind that hits your house achieves its highest pressure/velocity, the peak of the ridge. This happens for several reasons: 'a' their roof is grossly inadequately air-sealed (which is more important) and insulated. The 'pressure boundary', between the ceiling and the attic/crawls space, what separates the interior, conditioned' spaces, from the exterior un-conditioned spaces is again inadequately thought out, air-sealed and insulated. This also effects occupant health BTW, a lot.

If you want to have a real conversation about this PM me. I'll give you my phone number. We can talk. No charge.
Whats the issue with whole house fans? Thinking about putting one in real soon...
Old 04-22-2018, 9:52 AM
In Memoriam

A trick used in the desert in the times before electric power...

Hang burlap bags over open windows where the wind is blowing in. Soak with water. Viola' a primitive evaporative cooler. Have used it car camping and it works.