Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms > Rimfire Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Gallery Post pictures of your rimfire rifles and handguns here!

Old 05-31-2009, 12:27 PM

Default Remington 597 VTR

Anyone have any thoughts to this new rifle from Remington? Looks pretty cool. I already own a 597 and it would be great if they will make a stock kit available for existing 597 owners.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_597_vtr.asp

Last edited by iridesportbikes; 05-31-2009 at 9:43 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 6:51 AM
Veteran Member

There is a similar kit for the 10/22
Old 06-02-2009, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
There is a similar kit for the 10/22
Yes, I have a 10/22 with a nordic kit. I also have a 597 that i would like to make tacticool.
Old 06-24-2009, 6:54 AM

I saw something that said this isn't for sale until 2010. Has anyone been able to confirm otherwise?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:29 AM

This is the only thread I could find on this gun, but Turner's new Ad has these for $439.98.

Any other review's on these?

Quote:
Remington 597 VTR CS Tactical .22LR - Accepts AR-15 Accessories, 16" Heavy Telescoping Stock, Picatinny Rail, 10 Rd Detachable Magazine
Item# 110373
Regular Price $499.99 - Now Only $439.98!
Old 09-03-2009, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=iridesportbikes;2572219]Yes, I have a 10/22 with a nordic kit. I also have a 597 that i would like to make tacticool.[/QUOTE

How reliable is your regular remington 597? It should be the same gun with the kit build in. I google this gun and couldn't find any review on it. I guess it is too new.
Old 09-09-2009, 2:43 PM

My buddy for some reason doesn't like my AR22 or my GSG5 but wanted a 22lr. I went with him last Friday to Turners and checked these out. Seems like a solidly built rifle with a VERY heavy barrel. He liked it and plunked down the money. I think we'll get to shoot it the weekend after next. I'll report back then.

Old 09-09-2009, 2:44 PM
Banned

Please keep us updated.
Old 09-09-2009, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate74 View Post
My buddy for some reason doesn't like my AR22 or my GSG5 but wanted a 22lr. I went with him last Friday to Turners and checked these out. Seems like a solidly built rifle with a VERY heavy barrel. He liked it and plunked down the money. I think we'll get to shoot it the weekend after next. I'll report back then.

Please keep us update.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 PM

Will do. I've shared this thread with him so he's even more excited now about picking it up. His pickup day is next Wed, so hopefully the following Sat we'll get over to a range. Just need to tune up my GSG to make sure I can still outshoot him

Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingCode3 View Post
How reliable is your regular remington 597? It should be the same gun with the kit build in. I google this gun and couldn't find any review on it. I guess it is too new.
The regular Model 597 is a great rifle. Some even like it better than the 10/22 and the accuracy definitely rivals it out of the box. If the price is right, I would be in the market this 597 VTR.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Regular 597 are very accurate out of the box. They do need a couple of tweaks to make them feed 100%, and they are easy and dont cost money to do. For more info check out the Rem 597 section on RimfireCentral.com

I went a different route with my 597, its fully ready to shoot comps with. In fact, the only thing stock on my 597 is the receiver and bolt, everything els has been upgraded. Shoots .25" 5 and 10 shot groups at 50 yards with Wolf ME.

Rem597
Volquartsen Heavy Bull Match barrel
Volquartsen Extractor
Jard complete billet trigger housing with Jard match trigger set at 3/4 pounds
Boyds laminated stock, barrel free floating (I still need to bed it with devcon)
Cheap 1.8-10X tasco mildot scope (it was free)
Harris Bipod with podlock

first 2 pics are after I installed the Jard trigger housing and match trigger

Old 09-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Well, I had a chance to put about 50 rounds through my buddy's new 597 VTR yesterday. He probably put about 400 through it too. I would have loved to shoot it a bit more but it was HIS new toy, not mine

My inititial impressions of the look and feel are that this rifle is sort of a cross between a 10/22 and an AR-22. The bull barrel was a bit heavier than I expected but the rifle was well balanced. Seems like you could put a .920 barrel on a 10/22 and put it in some type of pistol grip stock and have something similar, but Remington was nice enough to do it for you

The feel was nice but I was most impressed by the fact that it handled all the cheapy ammo we had with us. All standard velocity stuff like Centurion, Eley Sport, Thunderbolt, etc. I think between the two of us we had only 5 or 6 or FTE issues.

As for accuracy; I let my buddy borrow a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot and he had a 2-8x40 Tasco Scope as well. We were at an indoor range so the max distance we could shoot it at was around 90ft. But with the Tasco, he and I both were able to keep the groups at or less than 1" with the target run all the way to the end of the range (shooting braced against the wall).

I liked it setup better with the red dot since this rifle is certainly a prime plinker.

We'll try to get up to Angeles in the next few weeks and see what it will do with some high velocity ammo at 50 yrds and 100 yrds. My guess it it will be every bit as accurate as my 10/22 with a .920 barrel and scope and will probably run circles around my GSG5.

If I hadn't just picked up my GSG, I would have a tough time not getting one of these for myself.

Old 09-20-2009, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate74 View Post
Well, I had a chance to put about 50 rounds through my buddy's new 597 VTR yesterday. He probably put about 400 through it too. I would have loved to shoot it a bit more but it was HIS new toy, not mine

My inititial impressions of the look and feel are that this rifle is sort of a cross between a 10/22 and an AR-22. The bull barrel was a bit heavier than I expected but the rifle was well balanced. Seems like you could put a .920 barrel on a 10/22 and put it in some type of pistol grip stock and have something similar, but Remington was nice enough to do it for you

The feel was nice but I was most impressed by the fact that it handled all the cheapy ammo we had with us. All standard velocity stuff like Centurion, Eley Sport, Thunderbolt, etc. I think between the two of us we had only 5 or 6 or FTE issues.

As for accuracy; I let my buddy borrow a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot and he had a 2-8x40 Tasco Scope as well. We were at an indoor range so the max distance we could shoot it at was around 90ft. But with the Tasco, he and I both were able to keep the groups at or less than 1" with the target run all the way to the end of the range (shooting braced against the wall).

I liked it setup better with the red dot since this rifle is certainly a prime plinker.

We'll try to get up to Angeles in the next few weeks and see what it will do with some high velocity ammo at 50 yrds and 100 yrds. My guess it it will be every bit as accurate as my 10/22 with a .920 barrel and scope and will probably run circles around my GSG5.

If I hadn't just picked up my GSG, I would have a tough time not getting one of these for myself.

Thanks for the review. By any chance if you know the rifle is hard to take apart? And how is the trigger?
Old 09-20-2009, 4:39 PM

What sort of pictures where you hoping I'd take the time out of my day to post for you in this free review?

Last edited by Nate74; 09-20-2009 at 5:56 PM..
Old 10-05-2009, 8:33 AM

I just bought one and will post a ton of pics when I pick it up next week
Old 10-12-2009, 8:13 AM

2 days till I get mine!
Old 10-15-2009, 6:58 PM

Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM

I just bought the 597 VTR and ran 50 rounds through it today. I didn't oil it or clean it before I shot. I also used Winchester Wildcat .22 LR ammo. I had the same problem that everybody complains about, it had loading problems. every 3 or 4 shots. It's either the ammo, or the mag. Probably both. The mags seem to have lots of problems. Mine came with a 20 Round Mag. that seems like a POS. So I bought a different one, also made by Remmington, and will try it soon. It just seems to look better made.
Over all I like the weapon. Good feel. The scope I put on it touches the hand rail, so I should have gotten a shorter scope, but it seems zeroed and fine for now. If I can fix the loading problem, I think I'l love it.
I also have a Ruger 10 22 with the Archangel package that I bought for my wife. 10 22's have their own loading/discharging/bolt handle problems, but I'm pretty well through that. They seem very similar in accuracy. Both fun when they fire.
Old 10-16-2009, 1:17 PM

20 Round?

I am taking my 597 VTR out of the first time on Sunday. I will post my feedback.
Old 10-18-2009, 7:00 PM

Took out the 597 VTR today out to Angeles

I shot Win. SuperX Hollow Points and Federal 550 Bulk.

I noticed the mag. was pretty tight when I loaded the first 50 rounds or so. The first 30-40 rounds I had 1 FTE and 1 FTF. We shot another ~200 rounds and had zero FTE or FTF issues. Overall I am very happy with this rifle.
Old 10-18-2009, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERock62 View Post
Took out the 597 VTR today out to Angeles

I shot Win. SuperX Hollow Points and Federal 550 Bulk.

I noticed the mag. was pretty tight when I loaded the first 50 rounds or so. The first 30-40 rounds I had 1 FTE and 1 FTF. We shot another ~200 rounds and had zero FTE or FTF issues. Overall I am very happy with this rifle.
That's great, gives me confidence that I can get mine under control. I wasn't too happy on my first outing with it. I'll try my other mag, and different ammo. Glad you had a good time. I'll go Tuesday and see how it goes.
Old 10-19-2009, 8:09 PM

Wow, so tonight I broke my VTR down. What a MF'er. It took forever, and thankfully I didn't take the trigger assembly apart. I will be quicker at it the next time, but stand by with a lot of tools. 3 different allen wrenches and a screw driver are bare minimum. And there is no reason to take the heat sheld off, like the instructions tell you too. It's a B#*#& to get off and back on due to a rubber gasket that centers the barrel. you have to lube the entire barrel to get it off and back on, and for no reason what-so-ever. You have to take the stock off, the pistol grip off, just to get to a screw to back off the rear of the bolt seat to get the trigger housing out. That's after the 12 hex screws to get the sides off and the primary set screw. The good side is that after firing 50 rounds the other day, it wasn't very dirty except for the barrel. So you can get away without doing a total breakdown for quite a while. Good thing I enjoy breaking down guns or I'd be pi$$ed. This thing better shoot well, or I may have to turn it into some new art form. Cheers from Ohio!!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Did you ever get out and go shooting for a second time?
Old 10-24-2009, 9:27 PM

Went out again today. Shot around 200 rounds. I bought another 10 round mag earlier this week. Had one FTE on the new mag in the first 10 rounds. Never had another issue the rest of the day. So far loving this rifle.
Old 11-22-2009, 7:11 PM

Gone out a few times since my last post.

So far is has been great. I am guessing I have put around 1k rounds through it. Most Fed 550 Bulk

I tried some Remington Subsonic. It did not like those.

I shot Federal 525 Champion today. Not an issue.

I also shot a box of 50 Armscor 36 grain hollow point. Worked well no issues. Shot low compared to the Federals but held a nice group.
Old 04-19-2010, 7:30 AM

Just a little update...

Probably close to another 2k rounds and still has been a solid rifle. I have had only 2-3 FTF's since my last update.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:48 AM

If you are in San Diego, I can possibly get you guys a deal on these for about 300.00. That depends on if he has anymore.
Go see Ken @ Royal Pawn and Loan on El Cajon Blvd and ask him to hook it up for 300.00 and he should.
Sweet little rifles.
Old 11-16-2010, 7:57 AM

Turners right now these are on clearance for $249.99 i believe.... was tempted to buy one, but the mossberg I want is suppose to go on sale soon, so i'll wait for that one, as i had horrid luck back when i bought a remington viper .22lr for like $75 bucks new a few years ago.
Old 11-17-2010, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEMOxx View Post
Turners right now these are on clearance for $249.99 i believe.... was tempted to buy one, but the mossberg I want is suppose to go on sale soon, so i'll wait for that one, as i had horrid luck back when i bought a remington viper .22lr for like $75 bucks new a few years ago.
Actually, the 597 VTR Tactical is at $269.98 at Turners on the printed flier dated November 12 to November 18.