Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-15-2013, 6:19 AM

We have 2 chickens also but they aren`t old enough to lay eggs yet. I can`t wait to try them.
Old 10-04-2013, 8:45 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Default Eleventyone dozen eggs

It's been nearly a year since I finished the coop and got my hens. How time flies...

The hens are still laying but are slowing down now that the days are getting shorter.
No more eggs for sale for a while, I will start stockpiling them to hold us over when they stop laying for the winter.

Since they started in February we've gotten 1332 eggs. That's 111 dozen eggs! (almost 165 lbs.)

The hens have been very good to us this year.
Old 10-05-2013, 6:58 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious_Beans View Post

I get about 3 dozen eggs per week and sell surplus eggs at $5/dozen to pay for the $25 monthly feed cost. Nobody complains about $5/dozen. I could sell tons more if i had 'em.
I have been giving my surplus eggs away, but $5/dozen sounds interesting. What do brown eggs cost at the store? Since I haven't had to buy eggs for nearly 2 years I haven't looked.

What do you do for egg cartons? I have told people if they bring the cartons back, I'll give them some eggs. Most are too lazy to return them.

I have some of the flats that hold 2 1/2 dozen, but I am out of cartons. I can buy them for .50 at TSC, but that wouldn't be smart unless I was selling the eggs.

Maybe I should. I gave 5 dozen to a neighbor yesterday and still have 8+ dozen in the fridge.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I have been giving my surplus eggs away, but $5/dozen sounds interesting. What do brown eggs cost at the store? Since I haven't had to buy eggs for nearly 2 years I haven't looked.

What do you do for egg cartons? I have told people if they bring the cartons back, I'll give them some eggs. Most are too lazy to return them.

I have some of the flats that hold 2 1/2 dozen, but I am out of cartons. I can buy them for .50 at TSC, but that wouldn't be smart unless I was selling the eggs.

I've seen "Farm Fresh" eggs priced as high as $6.50 around here but I dunno who buys 'em at that price. Yuppies visiting the wine country I assume.
$5 - $5.50 is more common at the small local markets, sometimes $5.99.
I sell a random mix of blue and brown eggs for $5 and turn down customers because there simply ain't enough to go around with only 7 hens.

Watch for a sale at TSC for cartons. They've been $0.49 normally but I bought 100 of them when they were on sale for $0.29.
I get about 1/2 the cartons back from the few eggs we sell so the carton price isn't so bad in the long run.

I'm hearing a familiar call outside this morning and I'll bet Amelia has just laid a nice blue egg for me.
Old 10-05-2013, 1:22 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I've seen "Farm Fresh" eggs priced as high as $6.50 around here but I dunno who buys 'em at that price. Yuppies visiting the wine country I assume.
$5 - $5.50 is more common at the small local markets, sometimes $5.99.
I sell a random mix of blue and brown eggs for $5 and turn down customers because there simply ain't enough to go around with only 7 hens.

Watch for a sale at TSC for cartons. They've been $0.49 normally but I bought 100 of them when they were on sale for $0.29.
I get about 1/2 the cartons back from the few eggs we sell so the carton price isn't so bad in the long run.

I'm hearing a familiar call outside this morning and I'll bet Amelia has just laid a nice blue egg for me.

I am thinking $2.50/doz. would work here. $3.00 if I am supplying the carton.

Going to check at work into the possibility of stocking them in the staff room fridge and posting an envelope for payment. A staff member based at another school site has been selling hers to teachers for $2.50/doz. and can't keep up with the demand.

Yes, it is funny how you begin to recognize the egg song from various hens. Most of mine lay in the morning, but Big Bird waits until the afternoon and always lays the smallest egg, although she is the largest hen.
Old 10-05-2013, 3:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I get about 2.5 dozen a week from four chickens and keep a dozen at my house and I bring the rest to the girlfriend. I saved a bunch of egg cartons before I bought my chickens but I reuse the ones I take to her place.
Old 11-02-2013, 4:01 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

It's been 1 year today since I brought our first pullets home!
(and 9 months yesterday since they laid the first eggs on Feb 1)

Since then they've laid 1424 eggs (118+ dozen) weighing 2821.38 oz. (176.33 lbs)
They've really slowed down on the laying now that the days have been getting shorter. We'll be lucky to get 20 eggs this week, but I've got lots of eggs stockpiled in the fridge so we should make it through the winter just fine.

Building the coop and run was a lot of work and expense but it was time & $$ well spent and I would definitely do it again. Hens rock!
Old 11-02-2013, 4:11 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Agreed. Ours have dropped to 2-3 eggs per day over the past week or so (5 hens). Still have 8 dozen in the fridge.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Very nice set up.

Rooster, don't need no roosters. room for only one cock in this house.

I got rid of my rooster cause he was tearin up the hens & got a bit ornry.
You only need one if you intend to breed more chickens.
Well it becomes interesting with 2 or 3 roosters. You'll have cockfights until one proves himself worthy to have all the chicks.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
Well it becomes interesting with 2 or 3 roosters. You'll have cockfights until one proves himself worthy to have all the chicks.

Kinda like high school.
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:30 PM

I haven't done any research at all, but this is very interesting to me. Do you need to do anything in the winter to keep their shelter warm?
Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
I haven't done any research at all, but this is very interesting to me. Do you need to do anything in the winter to keep their shelter warm?

I close mine up a bit to keep them from getting a draft while they roost at night.
My set up is a 8x12 barn with a window in the back and two in the front. When I say window I mean openings with fence material but I have plexiglass sheets to cover these when it gets cold or stormy.
I do not heat the barn or do anything else.
Chickens should be able to handle the cold quite well.
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 12-03-2013, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
I close mine up a bit to keep them from getting a draft while they roost at night.
My set up is a 8x12 barn with a window in the back and two in the front. When I say window I mean openings with fence material but I have plexiglass sheets to cover these when it gets cold or stormy.
I do not heat the barn or do anything else.
Chickens should be able to handle the cold quite well.
Awesome thanks. I am going to research this more as it seems like a great option and sustainable resource.
Old 12-03-2013, 8:33 PM

Here is my setup.
As you can see the front windows have fencing and there is a larger one higher and centered in the back of the barn.
The barn is 8x12 and the fenced in yard is 12x12.
I had to fence them in due to predators.
Inside I have more fenceing blocking them from the area directly below their roost since this is where they tend to poo the most and if you do not do this thay will dig around in it looking for bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 12-03-2013, 9:08 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
If they are kept well fed, dry, and in a relatively draft free enclosure they will do fine in any kind of weather that California has to offer.

Great investment, hens are. I'm really enjoying ours. We collected our 1500th egg last week.
Old 12-05-2013, 7:41 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Ours seem to handle the cold pretty well. I used to worry about it, but I don't any more.

This photo is from nearly 2 years ago, shortly after they went out into the coop. Notice the hen roosting IN the heat lamp.

Old 12-05-2013, 8:47 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

I'm still trying to figure out why chickens moult in the dead of winter. That just doesn't make good sense to me...
It's December and it's cold as hell and the chickens are looking all ragged and losing feathers like crazy. It looks like a major pillow fight happened in the hen house.

Why do they do that silly **** in the winter when it's cold as hell?
Old 12-06-2013, 4:41 PM

Makes me wish I lived in the boonies. Awesome setups guys.

Wow, so I read every post on this thread and started doing a little research on building options and legality. Is it weird that I want to have chickens.........living in Huntington Beach? I have three kids under 6 and want to be able to teach them that its not all about getting stuff from the supermarket. It looks like I have to get a city permit which is $215 (annually or once?), not sure if they will even give me a permit and I am only allowed to have a max of 6 and no roosters. The more I think about the process the less I want to do it, but I would love to get my kids involved in raising them.

Last edited by HBfisherman; 12-06-2013 at 6:11 PM..
Old 12-06-2013, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

its been freezing here, chickens are in the house keeping warm with the heat lamp.

Chickens

Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

PM me Wouxun 2M radio 4 Sale
Old 12-06-2013, 5:32 PM
Calguns Addict

My are stupid. They have a house with roosts and everything a chicken supposedly wants, but they sleep on top of it.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 12-07-2013, 3:28 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
My are stupid. They have a house with roosts and everything a chicken supposedly wants, but they sleep on top of it.
Mine probably would, too if they could figure out how to get up there.

They like to roost at the highest point. I have two roosts inside my coop. One is about 3/4" higher than the other. They all try to crowd onto the higher roost, but there isn't enough room, so one of them will always end up on the lower roost and complain loudly. It must be some sort of chicken status thing.
Old 12-07-2013, 4:05 AM

Amerucanas are super cool don't be scared when the lay green eggs ... good eaten.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM

I'm not in to raising Chickens but found this thread to be very interesting . Cool thread ,Thanks for sharing !
Old 12-07-2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBfisherman View Post
Makes me wish I lived in the boonies. Awesome setups guys.

Wow, so I read every post on this thread and started doing a little research on building options and legality. Is it weird that I want to have chickens.........living in Huntington Beach? I have three kids under 6 and want to be able to teach them that its not all about getting stuff from the supermarket. It looks like I have to get a city permit which is $215 (annually or once?), not sure if they will even give me a permit and I am only allowed to have a max of 6 and no roosters. The more I think about the process the less I want to do it, but I would love to get my kids involved in raising them.
I say go for it. Hopefully the fee is only a one time thing.
Six chickens will be enough to keep your family in eggs most of the time, unless they are molting or cop a tude about something.
There are many good small footprint coop designs.
This one is 4X8 and good for 4 chickens.
[IMG][/IMG]
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.
Frederic Bastiat
Old 12-07-2013, 6:07 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBfisherman View Post
Is it weird that I want to have chickens.........living in Huntington Beach? I have three kids under 6 and want to be able to teach them that its not all about getting stuff from the supermarket. It looks like I have to get a city permit which is $215 (annually or once?), not sure if they will even give me a permit and I am only allowed to have a max of 6 and no roosters. The more I think about the process the less I want to do it, but I would love to get my kids involved in raising them.
No it's not weird to want chickens... even in Huntington Beach.
I think everyone should have a few laying hens, especially folks with young kids. There's lots to learn there about the responsibility of taking care of animals, a realistic view of where our food really comes from, and the fun and reward of finding eggs so fresh that they are still hot from the hen and then taking them straight to the kitchen for breakfast. The fresh eggs are delicious, the chickens are fun to watch and have around, and the poops are good for the garden.

And it's nice having a little control over at least a tiny bit of my food chain... knowing what the birds eat, that they aren't loaded up with antibiotics and crap, and that the hens that feed me are kept in clean uncramped conditions and aren't living in "battery cages" or that sort of awfulness.

$215 for a permit? Ffff......ck! That's highway robbery!
If a permit is $215 annually that would totally suck and might not be worth it.
If it's a one time deal then it's still rather pricey, but what the hell... I'd go for it. I wouldn't be happy about it, but if that's what it costs I'd get the maximum number of hens so I had extra eggs to sell to help defray that cost. I give a lot of my eggs away but when I do sell them the folks around are delighted to get them at $5/doz.

No roosters is no problem. You don't want them anyway if you want to stay friendly with your neighbors. And roosters can be kind of mean sometimes...they might not be good with young children..
If you get 5 or 6 hens you will have plenty of eggs for the family for most of the year, plus during the spring & summer you'll have extras to sell or give away to friends & neighbors.

If you're thinking about it.. just do it! I'll bet that you and your kids have a great time with it.
Old 12-07-2013, 7:08 PM

I love my barred rocks. My rooster is super nice. But my favorite would be my bantam. She is so calm and sweet. She will walk right up to you and let you pet her.
Old 12-07-2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devster55 View Post
I love my barred rocks. My rooster is super nice. But my favorite would be my bantam. She is so calm and sweet. She will walk right up to you and let you pet her.
I had a Plymouth that went toe to toe with a red tailed hawk. Knocked that dude out of the sky swooping in to got his talons on some chicks. Fight was like one or two minutes .. epic like watching dinosaurs fight ... hawk bounced no harm to the flock a job well done.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Thats cool. Ive always wanted to raise chickens.

Free food, free eggs, you can sell some chicks and eggs for cash/trade, free fertilizer, free alarm clock!

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
Thats cool. Ive always wanted to raise chickens.

Free food, free eggs, you can sell some chicks and eggs for cash/trade, free fertilizer, free alarm clock!
My first income was from chickens ... 12-16 tell I moved from the country... I actually learned alot .. about food, seasons, good crop bad crop, how they adapt, hell I even had a hen hatch some ducks once and raised them as her own ... good times ..

Anyone had bantam foot rot yet? ... WD40 on exposed area is a solution. I don't know why, something my grandfather helped me with.
Old 12-08-2013, 3:41 AM

I had problems with scaly leg and cooking oil worked great. I believe with the foot rot its the same the oil smothers the culprit weather it be mites or fungus or what have you. Chickens are a lot of work and they are disgusting creatures. Eat their own feces and each other. They are basiclly rats with wings. Also if any of you guys get mites, especially free range chickens, Chemtech Prozap powder is the best. Dust under the wings and vent daily and they should be gone in a week or two. Just thought I would share. Also for anyone wanting good layers I have had the best with Australorp's and Golden laced Wyandott's. Also best rooster I ever had was an Australorp very mild tempered.
Old 01-07-2014, 5:14 PM

Default Eggs

Should I be doing something to my eggs before eating them like washing them somehow?
Old 01-07-2014, 5:32 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Not unless they are visibly dirty.

The eggs typically come out of a healthy hen "clean" and rarely need washing unless someone with mud or s*** on their feet has been stomping around in the nest box.
Old 01-07-2014, 5:44 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Some of the hens have been moulting pretty heavily and we're only getting about 6-7 eggs per week now. (during summer we were averaging 40+) The coop and the run looks like chickens had a pillow fight. There's feathers everywhere.
The worst seems to be over and everybody is filling in with fresh new feathers.

The barred rock known as "Paper" was especially pathetic for a while with major feather loss on the neck, chest, wings and ***. Especially her ***!

Old 01-07-2014, 6:42 PM

Default Ok

Quote:
Not unless they are visibly dirty.

The eggs typically come out of a healthy hen "clean" and rarely need washing unless someone with mud or s*** on their feet has been stomping around in the nest box.
Ok just checking. They just started laying this week and seem to jump in the box, lay an egg, then jump out.
Old 01-07-2014, 7:21 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative13 View Post
Ok just checking. They just started laying this week and seem to jump in the box, lay an egg, then jump out.
Congrats on your first eggs!

If they look dirty then give them a wipe with a damp cloth and clean 'em up. If they look clean enough already then they can go straight into the fridge. Or a skillet or... whatever.
Old 01-07-2014, 7:29 PM

Subscribed. Great thread.
Old 01-07-2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative13 View Post
Should I be doing something to my eggs before eating them like washing them somehow?

When the hen lays the egg there is a slighty slimy substance on it that will dry but provides protection against bacteria and the like.
Since the egg came from a chicken and is laying in the nesting box along with other stuff like chicken poo we usually wash the egg right before use.
We do a light wash of the egg before storage in the fridge to get anything stuck to it off.

Oh and nothing like picking an egg from the box fresh from the chicken. Was weird the first time I picked up a super fresh egg that was warmer than my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2

Last edited by EM2; 01-07-2014 at 9:52 PM..
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 PM

During Christmas season the wife was giving away eggs as gifts to acquaintances and neighbors. Even gave some to Doctor and nurses during a visit.

Seems like we get 2 reactions: 1. Oh cool! You have chickens! How many? or 2. These are from your chickens? At your house? They let you have chickens?

Anybody else give away eggs as gifts?
Old 01-08-2014, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

We're not getting many eggs right now. I know if I had a warmer henhouse, I'd see more production, I moved to a new house in September, and the farmyard is not near any power. A spring project is having a line run out to the barn.
So far, we haven't had any casualties in the subzero weather over the past couple days.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 01-08-2014, 5:24 PM

Default Eggs

About the only benefit of living in so cal in the city is that it's been warm this whole time. 70+ most of the time which help the hens lay. Funny thing is I purchased 15 Chickens in July, I have four at my house and 7 at the in laws however there's haven't started laying yet. Lucky me. I am amazed by the difference in the size of the eggs.