Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-22-2017, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Encouraging to hear reports of progress no matter how slow. Much better than what happened to Chabot.

I was even thinking that maybe it would be nice if City Arms or Canyon Sports would open an indoor handgun range just to ease the capacity from USI.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-22-2017, 1:39 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddle View Post
Latest reliable news is they expect this summer, perhaps a little sooner.
Id say this is acurate. Hopefully mid to late summer. There is competent and qualified project persons running the project now.

There will be lots of added pistol lanes from the 240ft of pistol we had... it will all be 10 yard.

Rifle should be nice also. Possibly a new range shack.
kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 01-22-2017, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectThe2nd View Post
There are 15 pages of what if...how...really...etc
Oh, I know. Having never been there, and having not remembered seeing any photos showing that the hill was that size, I just have an incredibly hard time believing that there's rounds going over the top. It doesn't seem very likely unless somebody's being negligent.
Old 01-22-2017, 2:04 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
Oh, I know. Having never been there, and having not remembered seeing any photos showing that the hill was that size, I just have an incredibly hard time believing that there's rounds going over the top. It doesn't seem very likely unless somebody's being negligent.
I never saw anyone point a muzzle toward the top of the hill...but you could have pointed over if you dared...

Ricochet was a concern from rocks on the berms

If you enlarge the second photo, you can see hill slippage well above the 100 yard target stands where peeps routinely shot above the target stands and into the hillside

Then there were accusations of action pistol area contributing lead...
I hope and pray action pistol won't be affected
I hope and pray the multi purpose range will reopen to CF shooting

True or fabricated...the decision to eliminate "blue sky" shooting opportunity on the public ranges was a good one

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - The United States Supreme Court -

Last edited by ProtectThe2nd; 01-22-2017 at 2:14 PM..
Old 01-22-2017, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRiverArms View Post
Yeah $18 for 2 hours at Livermore blows. I like how they jacked the price up $3 after Chabot closed too.
Nails it for me now. That place blows since the reopen and now they're price gouging.

Old 01-22-2017, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusBoy View Post
Possibly a new range shack.
That is pretty much a certainty.
Old 01-23-2017, 7:20 AM

Mid-late summer? I'll take it!! This is great news gentlemen.

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
Old 01-26-2017, 8:59 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I wouldn't get too excited.

USI remains open.

FYI, with some small redactions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoKnows

Rifle- pistol range update: USI had a setback on the rifle pistol range re-building process, the range is too expensive to build as it was designed. Our Construction Manager, informed the USI board at Jan 11 meeting that preliminary bids from contractors was well over three million to rebuild the R&P as designed (not including any electrical, shooting dividers, benches or a range shack). Our budget is two million. With that news the CM immediately started to proceed with a value engineering option to make alterations and cuts to salvage the existing plans as there is much time and money spent on that design.

The current USI board has been very dedicated and diligent since November in getting this project on track to open in mid-2017, we are having BOD meetings as needed more than once a month to get things done. As our CM is one of our own, his knowledge of our facility and the rebuilding process to get it back to a full active shooting facility is invaluable...What he has done in the short time as CM is amazing.

After 2 USI board members returned from the Shot Show this past week with information on alternative range design ideas that may cut costs on designing and rebuilding our facility it was decided on Jan 23rd to suspend any redesign of our existing design for up to 10 days to review alternative designs that may be more cost conscious of our two million budget before we proceed with our dedicated architects and engineers in value engineering our current plans. The plan-check and review process with CC County will be delayed as there will be significant changes to civil and structural plans. We can’t reliably drill 30ft piers in heavy rain so if we continue with altered current design plans, we will be starting this project after the rains subside, the ground dries out some and firms up. I wish news was better, please don’t give up, other directors and I are spending our time for the betterment of USI. The demolition of the current R&P facility is still on schedule to be started by end of January, demo equipment is onsite.
Old 01-26-2017, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder how much $$ they have lost in the 2 years plus that the R&P range will have been closed by the time it reopens. Probably not to much of a stretch to think that the infighting between clubs cost at least a million dollars in lost revenue due to delays.
Old 01-26-2017, 9:11 AM

Why am i not surprised in the least at this revelation....

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 01-26-2017, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Like we could not have seen this coming....
New leadership is needed to get this process back on track.
Seriously, if you have a two million budget how the hell do you come up with a 3 million dollar plan???
Did the design team not understand the scope being requested???
Once again more unnecessary delays for an unnecessay design.
And now we are back closer to the option the Club leaders voted against over a year ago.
I say close the whole place down until the facility is complete.
That way everyone will be forced to work together instead of against each other.
If the range fails to open in 2017 all board members should be forced from their positions.
That would lite a fire and miraculously we would see improvements instead of constant delays.
Dan Wesson Razorback or Silverback
RIA TAC Ultra

Last edited by Cali74; 01-26-2017 at 9:35 AM..
Old 01-26-2017, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali74 View Post
Seriously, if you have a two million budget how the hell do you come up with a 3 million dollar plan???
And now we are back closer to the option the Club leaders voted against over a year ago.
That way everyone will be forced to work together instead of against each other.
If the range fails to open in 2017 all board members should be forced from their positions.
That would lite a fire and miraculously we would see improvements instead of constant delays.
They don't sound like they know what they are doing. Those plans could have been bid on 9 months ago...you don't submit for a permit without a bid.

In fact the county needs a valuation as part of the permit process.
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 01-26-2017, 7:55 PM

Is it wishfull thinking that the Action Pistol range will come back at USI? We truly miss USPSA at USI, just a few minuites from home.
Old 01-26-2017, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmo View Post
Is it wishfull thinking that the Action Pistol range will come back at USI? We truly miss USPSA at USI, just a few minuites from home.
My guess is it would be the last range to be redone if at all.
Old 01-26-2017, 8:11 PM

2 years will never open libtards will find a way
Old 01-26-2017, 9:01 PM
In Memoriam

We can’t reliably drill 30ft piers in heavy rain so if we continue with altered current design plans...

What the heck are they building that they to need to go with 30 foot piers?
The overhead should be very simple to save on cost.
I sure hope it's not going to be some elevated foundation for flood protection
with and upstairs bar and restaurant where one can be sunning on the veranda!
-g
Old 01-26-2017, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
What the heck are they building that they to need to go with 30 foot piers?
Sections such as these... 8" thick - 8'x40' pre tensioned concrete slabs @ approx 50k lbs per - 3 sections per 40' making the bullet trap sections approx 24' deep.

Now.. span those 40' sections to 240 for the total width of rifle.
kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:23 AM

Demolition started today. Slow but steady progress.I am looking forward to to reopening this summer.
Old 01-27-2017, 2:59 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I will be in a SNF by the time this joint reopens. Even when it does, expect crowds the size of Disneyland on the 4th of July.
Old 01-27-2017, 9:29 AM

Gotta admit USI is a tuff 'ol bird... Shes not going down without a fight.

Old 01-27-2017, 2:07 PM

The demolition of the Rifle and Pistol range at USI has begun. Photo taken Friday, Jan. 27

Last edited by Andykev; 01-27-2017 at 2:09 PM..
Old 01-27-2017, 2:10 PM
In Memoriam

Wow what a contrast to the pics I had only just posted

Dramatic...brings a sense of hope for the near future

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - The United States Supreme Court -
Old 01-27-2017, 2:30 PM

The rifle side is down now also... this time without breaking the demo machine!

Glad to See Progress!

Old 01-27-2017, 3:17 PM

Great...been waiting so long for this range to get back up and running again...Progress...
Old 01-27-2017, 3:18 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
They don't sound like they know what they are doing. Those plans could have been bid on 9 months ago...you don't submit for a permit without a bid.

In fact the county needs a valuation as part of the permit process.
All I can say is that things like these are thankless and complicated tasks being handled by volunteers.

It is very easy to look at things with hindsight and be a keyboard sniper.

I am sure I would disagree with things here or there, but in the end if you aren't going to the meetings and conversing with the club officials to get things done and putting in your own personal time to help make things better you really don't have much to complain about.

The world is run (for better or worse) by those who show up.

I really really miss rifle and pistol at USI.
Old 01-27-2017, 4:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Progress. Too much winning these days.
Old 01-27-2017, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice to see things getting done. I know it can seem like a thankless job, but I am appreciative of what is taking place and I can understand the hurdles you've had to get past.

That said, is there going to be an air conditioned upper level lounge and bar area with complimentary gun cleaning service? And a few Dillon 650's set up in all of the common calibers would be great. Oh, and put a few extra presses for 45 ACP just cuz.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-28-2017, 3:09 PM
Progressives Suck!

Glad there is progress being made. I really like USI, and it would be nice to have another range because Livermore is just way too crowded these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtv3062 View Post
Nails it for me now. That place blows since the reopen and now they're price gouging.
Yeah, I used to really like Livermore because I could shoot 10 yard pistol, 25, 50, and 100 rifle. Then they changed it. Now it sucks because you cannot shoot from a standing position, rifle or pistol. No more 10 yard pistol you have to go to the pistol range, and I really don't like the pistol range setup.

My kids hate the pistol range too.

So I hope USI opens this year.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:33 PM
In Memoriam

Taken Saturday 1/28/2017
Demo is on the other side of tree line

image.jpg

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 PM
In Memoriam

Rifle range shooting bays torn down

image.jpg

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Old 01-28-2017, 10:36 PM
In Memoriam

Rifle range demolition
image.jpg

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 PM
In Memoriam

Rifle range artifacts piled up just south of the shack
Which still stands

image.jpg

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Last edited by ProtectThe2nd; 01-29-2017 at 5:39 AM..
Old 01-28-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
More debris

Attachment 577551
Hey dont be calling us debris!! We're showing a range designer around for some pricing.
Old 01-29-2017, 5:37 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusBoy View Post
Hey dont be calling us debris!! We're showing a range designer around for some pricing.

Here is another photo taken saturday 1/28/2017
showing artifacts from the ongoing redevelopment
better?

image.jpg

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Old 01-29-2017, 6:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Glad to hear!
Old 01-29-2017, 8:34 AM
In Memoriam

A standing artifact
image.jpg

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Last edited by ProtectThe2nd; 01-29-2017 at 8:37 AM..
Old 01-29-2017, 8:47 AM
In Memoriam

Who's that standing on the hill in the distance?

image.jpg

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Old 01-29-2017, 8:53 AM
In Memoriam

USI has updated their range information page
and posted pics and a video
http://unitedsportsmen.com/range-updates/

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Old 01-29-2017, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Who's that standing on the hill in the distance?

Attachment 577609
Deplorables
Old 01-29-2017, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Default USI reopening this year 2017 ?

I went to the Brentwood Club meetings often since it closed, what a mess !
No action was taken for over four months and they let Contra Costa County sucker them again and again. Do this before we CONSIDER your application to
rework the R & P section etc. Words to this effect were told to us at the
Brentwood meetings. Big time revenue loss since september 2015.

If my comments anger anyone, remember these things were told to us at the
meetings. The county sucker talk is my understanding of what was told to
those attending Brentwood Club meetings.

Psalm 1