Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up Orange

Read the last few pages of this thread to get an idea of where Orange stands currently.

UPDATE (2015 April 05): In light of the Peruta 3-judge panel decision being taken for review en banc, Hutchens has decided to go back to her pre-Peruta restrictive issuance policy. (See http://ocsd.org/about/info/services/ccw and posts on p. 11 and following of this thread.) Thus I ("Paladin") am removing the alert symbol and "TIME TO APPLY!!!" from the title of this thread for now. (end of update)

UPDATE (2014 April 12): In light of the Peruta decision Sheriff Hutchens has revised her CCW policy and now accepts "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause. But she may change her policy if Peruta is stayed or withdrawn. Time to apply!

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department will accept CCW applications which include, in the “Details of Reason for Applicant Desiring a CCW License” (on page 10 of 13 of the California Department of Justice Standard Initial and Renewal Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon), that the CCW license is needed for self-defense or personal safety. Applications which include other reasons showing “good cause” for the CCW License as set forth in the Orange County Sheriff’s Department’s Policy 218, License to Carry a Concealed Firearm, will also be accepted.

If the Peruta v. County of San Diego panel decision is withdrawn by a decision to rehear the case en banc in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, or a stay is issued by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals or the United States Supreme Court, we may require applicants to supplement the “good cause” statement for the CCW License in accord with Orange County Sheriff’s Department’s Policy 218.
(emphasis and underlining added)

End of update.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by Paladin; 11-20-2015 at 8:48 AM.. Reason: updated OP info w/OCSO's new policy info
Old 10-18-2010, 4:22 PM
Superfluous
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

OK.. What do I do to get a CCW in the OC?

Is it a waste of time at this moment? Or is it a good idea to pursue this route? I don't want to throw away my hard earned money and my precious time on something that is impossible at the moment.
What do you guys think? As I have no clue about the Orange County situation other than it is dam near impossible to get one from our Illustrious Sheriff whatshername.

What say you fellas?

Twystd1
Old 10-18-2010, 4:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twystd1 View Post

Is it a waste of time at this moment? Or is it a good idea to pursue this route? I don't want to throw away my hard earned money and my precious time on something that is impossible at the moment.
What do you guys think? As I have no clue about the Orange County situation other than it is dam near impossible to get one from our Illustrious Sheriff whatshername.

What say you fellas?

Twystd1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Not yet, but we will be phasing in each county as their acceptable good cause statements are available, and also as the policy compliance portion corrects any deficiencies.
It's also much easier if you're in the state of california.

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 10-19-2010, 7:06 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone know if Westminster PD issues CCW's, or must you go directly through the Sheriff?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
Anyone know if Westminster PD issues CCW's, or must you go directly through the Sheriff?
All Cities in the OC have ceded that power to the Sheriff Hutchens currently.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

What say you fellas?

Twystd1
If your time is too valuable to "waste" it on applying where you might be turned down this exercise may not be for you. This is a compliance drill and once we move on each county there is every expectation that some sheriffs will be recalcitrant and illegally deny people. If you are worried about this, or the $20 it costs to apply then you might want to wait until those willing to spend the time and money open up the policy so you can get your CCW via their (individually easy, collectively hard) work.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 10-20-2010, 7:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxcoastie View Post
All Cities in the OC have ceded that power to the Sheriff Hutchens currently.
I'm pretty sure that Irvine issues their own. From their website:

Quote:
Concealed Weapon Permits

If you are interested in obtaining a CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon) permit, please contact Sgt. Bill Whalen at (949) 724-7041, or you can email him at bwhalen@ci.irvine.ca.us for further information.
Old 10-20-2010, 7:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

<snip>

Twystd1
I say for now, hang on. It may be a matter of just a few weeks or month until we know much more about the process for each issuing agency.
Old 10-20-2010, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post

Hmm I stand corrected, last time I lived in Irvine and checked, the desk lady said it was the sherriff. About 2 years ago.

My latest info was what I posted from the friend who just got his.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxcoastie View Post
Hmm I stand corrected, last time I lived in Irvine and checked, the desk lady said it was the sherriff. About 2 years ago.

My latest info was what I posted from the friend who just got his.
When I checked, they only issued about four. It would be very interesting as to who/what their could cause was and why only four people in a city can receive a ccw from the PD.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
When I checked, they only issued about four. It would be very interesting as to who/what their could cause was and why only four people in a city can receive a ccw from the PD.
It is quite possible that they have kept the number of applicants low by not advertising their process and/or discouraging applicants before they ever apply.
650-315-2210
Old 10-20-2010, 8:58 PM

This is very exciting. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to submit my app.

Subscribed!
Old 10-20-2010, 9:52 PM

How do you get that info? Does it name the four?

Quote:
Old 10-21-2010, 8:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
How do you get that info? Does it name the four?
I asked the person (I think it was a Sgt.) who was in charge of CCWs and he told me. I didn't go into good cause, etc. No, he did not name the four.

However, I think that in a city of 200,000 only having four CCWs seems a bit off. Obviously someone knows somebody, etc.
Old 10-22-2010, 3:27 PM

I live in Irvine, so I called and left a message just a few min ago - so If I have any luck, I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.
Old 10-23-2010, 8:57 PM

Let me know what happens, and whether the CGF suggests trying to apply! For $20, I would be willing to submit an application. I'm 21, not a prohibited person, and living in Irvine.

Last edited by QQQ; 10-23-2010 at 9:02 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

looking forward to updates.
Old 10-25-2010, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurlksm View Post
looking forward to updates.
+1

Love to see Sheriff Hutchens forced to comply with CCW issuance to everyday people...

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
1911 & German Gun Fanatic

WTS: SOLD
WTS: Federal SPP, SRP, LRP Primers
Old 10-27-2010, 7:36 PM
CGSSA Leader

Seriously? Orange County only has 9 sponsors so far?

If I did it, you can too!!

C'mon people!
Every single person that is able should sponsor!
http://www.cgfstore.org/

Last edited by lgm118icbm; 10-29-2010 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: URL
Old 10-28-2010, 4:43 PM

I live in OC, over 21, squeeky clean record, and would be happy to apply and report feedback if need be.
Old 11-03-2010, 2:25 PM

I called Irvine PD - they basically told me that they won't give me one unless I have documented threat to my life, and one that would be considered an ongoing threat. They said i'd have better luck with the OCSD.

PS - MADE MY CGF contribution for the CCW Initiative.

Last edited by popndrop; 11-03-2010 at 2:35 PM..
Old 11-03-2010, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popndrop View Post
I called Irvine PD - they basically told me that they won't give me one unless I have documented threat to my life, and one that would be considered an ongoing threat. They said i'd have better luck with the OCSD.
How does one obtain documentation to an on going threat? I'm sure that you would have had to suffer actual physical harm, as well as some sort of note/phone message/email with specifics that there is a threat, and that it is a persistent one, that will not be stopping in the near future. Cause it seems that mere police reports of a threat are not sufficient (afaik from other posts).

I doubt Hutchens would give you any more than what Irvine did. I'm pretty sure Hutchens will be one of the last holdouts along with LA's and SF's sheriffs.
“See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.” - Colossians 2:8
Old 11-03-2010, 3:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Nope. They send you off to the sheriff, too.
"Over-sentimentality, over-softness, in fact washiness and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people. Unless we keep the barbarian virtue, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Would you people please stop bashing "Elmer Fudd?" After all, he was an avid sportsman, hunter, and 2a supporter. -Ed in Sac
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-03-2010, 3:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popndrop View Post

PS - MADE MY CGF contribution for the CCW Initiative.
Yep. But if one could look at who and how long they had theirs, it would make more sense.

It's like saying Culver City issues, but no one really can recall them issuing.
"Over-sentimentality, over-softness, in fact washiness and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people. Unless we keep the barbarian virtue, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Would you people please stop bashing "Elmer Fudd?" After all, he was an avid sportsman, hunter, and 2a supporter. -Ed in Sac
NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by IGOTDIRT4U; 11-03-2010 at 3:57 PM..
Old 11-03-2010, 4:42 PM

Looking forward to more info on this!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTDIRT4U View Post
Nope. They send you off to the sheriff, too.
Sounds like a case for CGF. They (Irvine) can't issue to some then tell others to go to the Sheriff. I have an email from the PD saying they have two issued.
Old 11-03-2010, 6:37 PM

Sponsored Orange County...standing by for updates.
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 11-03-2010, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Im planning on applying for one in january.
anyone here from OC actually have a CCW?
Old 11-05-2010, 2:25 PM

Sponsored, waiting for the "all clear".

Old 11-05-2010, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sounds like a case for CGF. They (Irvine) can't issue to some then tell others to go to the Sheriff. I have an email from the PD saying they have two issued.
Nope. For the most part CGF is going to focus solely on the sheriffs and leave the cities alone. There are too many cities to deal with, each city effects a relatively small number of CGF's constituency and if CGF applies pressure they can completely escape by filing (g) and letting the sheriff handle all their apps.

If you know that Irvine issues but they just don't want to give you app etc. Just download the app on the CGF site, fill it out and mail it in, certified, return receipt. This will count as submitting your application and if they give you push back ask if they issue to anyone other than Peace Officers. If they do issue then they MUST accept your application. If they accept your application then they must act upon it in accordance with Guillory and Salute.

You would have to do all the footwork to ge them to act on the application though. It wouldn't be easy and if I were in your shoes I'd sit tight and wait for OC actions to start here. OR go to CalCCW or BillyJack and follow the "old" method of getting a CCW.
650-315-2210
Old 11-12-2010, 5:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Irvine DOES issue and it's more than four. They also require the psych test, OCSD doesn't. Newport is the only other city in OC that issues. Laguna Beach use to till Chief Sellers came in.
Old 11-12-2010, 5:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
Im planning on applying for one in January.
anyone here from OC actually have a CCW?
688 two year general CCWs, 615 have the restriction "course and scope of business".
47 three year judicial CCW's, no restrictions.
173 four year reserve CCWs, no restictions.
Old 11-12-2010, 6:08 PM
Calguns Addict

So, GS, when are you going to let me and Brandon back on the CalCCW forum without being muzzled?
Old 11-12-2010, 8:44 PM

$100 Sent, Lets do this Orange County!!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSlut View Post
688 two year general CCWs, 615 have the restriction "course and scope of business".
47 three year judicial CCW's, no restrictions.
173 four year reserve CCWs, no restictions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
So, GS, when are you going to let me and Brandon back on the CalCCW forum without being muzzled?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
CGSSA Leader

Thanks to On-Target for supporting the cause!
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 11-30-2010, 2:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Status Check

What's the latest with OC?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:30 PM

I don't think Westminster PD issues CCW's...I know they issue it to retired LEOs though. There's a form on their website that allows retired LEOs to keep carrying.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Sponsored Orange a few weeks ago!

Lets say you live in Irvine and they issued you a CCW, are you good for the entire county and state?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurlksm View Post
Sponsored Orange a few weeks ago!

Lets say you live in Irvine and they issued you a CCW, are you good for the entire county and state?
Yes sir. As long as you are issued a standard 2 yr. permit you are good statewide. Be sure to follow any restrictions listed on the back unless told otherwise. You can get your permit revoked for violating such restrictions.
650-315-2210