Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-13-2019, 3:36 PM

Default Dillon Super Swage 600 and 30-06

In order for me to swage enough of the crimp away on a lot of Korean (KA) 30-06 brass, I need to adjust the backing rod of the Dillon Super Swage 600 so far forward that the brass wont clear the swage rod.

On some cases, even if I max out the backing rod adjustment after setting the brass in place, the crimp is not sufficiently removed.

I ended up swaging the rest of my brass on an RCBS RC with their swage dies but that's a pain in the butt.

what am I doing wrong?
Old 07-14-2019, 7:46 AM

KA 30.06 is some of the hardest brass to swage crimps and even re-sizing takes a significant effort on the Rockchucker. I use a reamer instead of the RCBS swage.
Old 07-14-2019, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_g24 View Post
In order for me to swage enough of the crimp away on a lot of Korean (KA) 30-06 brass, I need to adjust the backing rod of the Dillon Super Swage 600 so far forward that the brass wont clear the swage rod.

On some cases, even if I max out the backing rod adjustment after setting the brass in place, the crimp is not sufficiently removed.

I ended up swaging the rest of my brass on an RCBS RC with their swage dies but that's a pain in the butt.

what am I doing wrong?
If the crimp is concentric, then its pretty much a one-time swage since the rod is clearing the crimp.

If the crimp is eccentric, then you may need to swage it two or three times. Spin the brass after each swage.

Use your thumb and spin on the case web area, and try to get a feel after each swage process for a concentric or eccentric crimp.

Have used this approach with the Dillon 600 swager for once fired 556 LC and WCC brass, FA 30-06, or KA 30-06 brass.
Old 07-14-2019, 9:49 AM

Thanks guys. I have a RCBS pocket uniformer but not a reamer. The case was so stuck on my Rockchucker that I had to use a 2# sledgehammer on the handle to release it!

Luckily this is the last of my KA brass - the HXP and LC isn't nearly as difficult.

It seems that the Dillon tool's ecentric bushing could have been made to move the pocket swager more. The range of motion in and out is a bit limited for this application.

It seems that the Dillon tool's ecentric bushing could have been made to move the pocket swager more - the action is limited.

Last edited by Archon_g24; 07-14-2019 at 10:32 AM..
Old 07-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_g24 View Post
Thanks guys. I have a RCBS pocket uniformer but not a reamer. The case was so stuck on my Rockchucker that I had to use a 2" sledge on the handle to release it!

Luckily this is the last of my KA brass - the HXP and LC isn't nearly as difficult.

It seems that the Dillon tool's ecentric bushing could have been made to move the pocket swager more. The range of motion in and out is a bit limited for this application.

It seems that the Dillon tool's ecentric bushing could have been made to move the pocket swager more - the action is limited.

It's not the tool - it's the brass!

USGI 30-06 ammo are well made, practically indestructible, but a PITA to process

RCBS large primer reamer is be your best bet since it gives you a two-angle bevel, not the generic reamer where you could over do it and loosen the primer pocket.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Op, Save yourself the trouble.KA brass I've seen split on the 1st firing.