Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-21-2019, 9:03 AM

Default Giving up on Lil Gun for Beowulf

after the 3rd trip im still getting burn marks on the casings, splatter being spit out from the brake towards my 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock (possibly unburned powder being shot through the barrel), bad accuracy. Using the lee 440gr and lil gun 28-30gr. I may try one more time with the suggested magnum pistol primers to see if theres any difference but ill be transitioning to RL7 as soon as i get back to the range, already have 40-43gr loads of that ready.

If that doesn't work as well then another option is going down to the 300-350gr mold range where lil gun appears to excel at. I'd prefer not to go this route as those molds are over $100 yikes. Good news came from all these range trips, i was also loading for my dads new 458 socom and everything went well with his loads using RL7 30gr lee 420gr. Using just normal LPP for this caliber and its all good, so i figured i'd try them also with the beo but i dont know yet if these non magnum have any effect on the beo just yet until i try the mags.

By any chance any local reloaders in SGV that could trade me/sell me a pack of 100 LP magnum primers to experiment with? Philips only sells them in 1000 and I'd rather not drop 35 on something i might not need.
Old 07-21-2019, 9:28 AM

Magnum primers probably still won't fully burn all the powder. Reduce the powder charge using magnum primers and work back up. Watch for over pressure signs.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub95 View Post
Magnum primers probably still won't fully burn all the powder. Reduce the powder charge using magnum primers and work back up. Watch for over pressure signs.
lowest i went was 25gr i believe, not sure how much lower i can go but if i can get a clean case from a lower charge thats going to mean its burning enough. thanks ill take you up on that advice
Old 07-21-2019, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Some powders are just that way. I use Lil Gun in the 460 and 45 Colt but its been accurate and pretty clean for me.

But thats why its so awesome we have a wide variety of powders to try out.
Old 07-21-2019, 3:19 PM

Can you use 296/H110 in the 50? It is pure bliss in my 458 SOCOM. It meters great, shoots great, and is much more forgiving in terms of min to max charge range.
Old 07-21-2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
Some powders are just that way. I use Lil Gun in the 460 and 45 Colt but its been accurate and pretty clean for me.

But thats why its so awesome we have a wide variety of powders to try out.
its the first powder ive ever felt like giving up on and i've reloaded lots of calibers. Maybe i can use it for a 44 instead of selling the leftover jug.
Old 07-21-2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
Can you use 296/H110 in the 50? It is pure bliss in my 458 SOCOM. It meters great, shoots great, and is much more forgiving in terms of min to max charge range.
i dont believe h110 was an option for the heavies but i think i might have seen someone post data using that for the light bullets. Or that could have been read on a 458 post, been reloading for them both at the same time.
Old 07-21-2019, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

I tried RL7 in 458 socom and had too much unburned powder. I ended up using it in 223 to get rid of it.

As to little gun; yes I hear this a lot on reloading forums. People are saying it is inconsistent to a fault (re: possibly dangerously inconsistent).
Old 07-22-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0re10 View Post
I tried RL7 in 458 socom and had too much unburned powder. I ended up using it in 223 to get rid of it.

As to little gun; yes I hear this a lot on reloading forums. People are saying it is inconsistent to a fault (re: possibly dangerously inconsistent).
yeah and that it heats up the barrel too much. as to the rl7 for 458, its been 1 moa at 50yds and thats good enough for my likes of shooting this and the case looks clean so i think i'll stick with it. just need to test functionality with feeding as i want this to be reliable for mag dumping
Old 07-22-2019, 7:13 AM

Interesting, I load for .458 using lil gun. CCI 350 primer, super accurate (mostly), clean. Seems there is some difference from powder lot to powder lot and possibly temperature sensitive. I would not have though Beowulf would be so different. I use a lot lighter bullets ... 300 grain Barns/ or 325 grain. I like the better downrange performance (bullet drop). I need to try rl7.