Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Workspace questions - need ideas on quick set up and storage of reloading station

Good morning folks,

I have a limited space to set up my reload station. I wanted to ask for some tips and tricks for quickly setting up and storing my reloading stuff.

Likely, I'll have a small bench space in my house that my wife and I also use for a work desk.

I can drill holes into the bench, but it has to remain flat after I put everything away.

Are there good and sturdy quickmounting systems for the press itself?

For the powder measure I was just going to mount it to a board that I can move around the bench and clamp down if needed.

Mostly asking because I know the community is pretty creative and I can't be the only one with a tiny apartment.

Thank you.

M
Old 07-18-2019, 2:19 PM

Welp, you can try one of these

https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...tem-base-plate

This will allow you to mount your station and remove to store it when your done.
Old 07-18-2019, 3:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That's nice. I knew there was something.

You tried it ever?
Old 07-18-2019, 3:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Tell us about your desk?

Ikea, particleboard, MDF, glass?

Lots of ways to clamp a press to a desk

Take a section of 2x12 pine - 24-36” long
Mount press to that board with T Nuts

Clamp that to the desk

When you get a tough piece of brass, you can press pretty hard and flex the worktop

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by hermosabeach; 07-18-2019 at 3:33 PM..
Old 07-18-2019, 4:08 PM

A while back my job required me to relocate back East for a period of time. My wife and I rented an apartment so our space was limited so I did the ol' barstool method: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=31751 (scroll about halfway down the page). I got a cheap bar stool from a local thrift shop and had to screw some wood screws into the legs to give it a bit more strength. After I was done loading I was able to store it behind the couch or in the closet where it could not be seen (which kept the wife happy.)

While back East I acquired a CMP Garand and although it was a bit tricky, I was able to size 30'06 brass by holding down the barstool with my foot on one of the lower rungs.
Old 07-18-2019, 5:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All helpful tips.

I'm thinking this big lots wobbly desk isn't going to be good. A stool would be a lot better.

But I also have my dresser. Mine is the model in the upper left corner. It's a comfortable height to work. Just have to figure out the best set up in terms of securing, flow, etc.

If I can do the idea of mounting onto a pine board then securing it to my dresser that would be the bee's knees.

But the stool idea is great too.

Appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2019, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kronstadt View Post
That's nice. I knew there was something.

You tried it ever?
No I haven't but I have their micro mount and it fit my needs perfectly. I have a small space in my garage and wanted a smaller mount than dillon offered. They make high quality stuff.
Old 07-19-2019, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kronstadt View Post
All helpful tips.

I'm thinking this big lots wobbly desk isn't going to be good. A stool would be a lot better.

But I also have my dresser. Mine is the model in the upper left corner. It's a comfortable height to work. Just have to figure out the best set up in terms of securing, flow, etc.

If I can do the idea of mounting onto a pine board then securing it to my dresser that would be the bee's knees.

But the stool idea is great too.

Appreciate it.
So the issue with the dresser is height, being able to see what your doing is important. If you have a cramped space I would recommend building a better desk. I build my bench using this kit from Amazon

HOPKINS MFG CORP 2x4 Basics Workbench Kit, Model# 90158MI [Misc.] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SQ365M..._mmEmDbP81XQE7

The great thing is that you can build it as big or as small as you want. Just make measurements, go to Lowes or home Depot, they can cut the wood for free or small fee and assemble. This is one my buddy built for his garage. He had home Depot cut all the wood.

Old 07-19-2019, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is it plenty sturdy? I have that in my cart right now.

Just have to convince my wife it will look great in the corner.

If I can make it like 3'x15" on top and that height that your friend has...that'd fit.

Mp
Old 07-19-2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brix View Post
Welp, you can try one of these

https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...tem-base-plate

This will allow you to mount your station and remove to store it when your done.
This is what came to my mind first. I use one and it works great. The only thing you will want to watch is hitting your elbows on the corners if you will be sitting at the desk when just the plate is installed. It must have over the edge like the picture shows.
We must be on calguns...
Old 07-19-2019, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectric03 View Post
This is what came to my mind first. I use one and it works great. The only thing you will want to watch is hitting your elbows on the corners if you will be sitting at the desk when just the plate is installed. It must have over the edge like the picture shows.
I'm really liking their system. And bonus, I only buy USA or union made stuff if it's there. So that is awesome.

This is really helpful. Just what I needed, people who've done this and know what's possible.

If you can, share little tips, too, about storage, or workspace set up tricks you've used.

Respectfully,

M
Old 07-19-2019, 11:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I use a kenndy toolbox for storage that I got for a good price on craigslist. You likely don't need that much space, and can work it out. Couple drawers should do it, so long as one is big enough for the press, and the other for the powder.

To keep the desk flat when you mount and dismount, drill the desk for threaded insert nuts in 1/4-20 minimum, 5/16-18 better. In the pattern of your press. Press gets bolted up when you need it, and put away when you are done.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:27 AM

It's very sturdy this is mine that I put together 2x6 ft. I have a number of full factory ammo cans underneath on the lower shelf on top of my dillon 650 stuff and components. I doubled up on the plywood for the table top which was one just to increase the thickness.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:23 AM

I use Lee's get up .
Lee Precision Steel Bench Block Plate System Quick Change
the whole kit comes with a piece of wood . Mine is mounted to a 2' X 2.5"pieces of plywood .
I have 3 of them and easily switch from loadmaster , "O" frames and stand on end when bench is needed .
The press are stored in milk crates or under bench .[ only when I / we need work space .