Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-18-2019, 6:30 AM

FYI. Diablo Rod & Gun Club's reloading group is meeting this Wednesday March 20th at 6 PM at United Sportsmen in Concord.

More info here: https://diablorodandgun.com/event/di...ng/2019-03-20/

Membership is not required. All are welcome.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigsteel View Post
FYI. Diablo Rod & Gun Club's reloading group is meeting this Wednesday March 20th at 6 PM at United Sportsmen in Concord.

More info here: https://diablorodandgun.com/event/di...ng/2019-03-20/

How was the meeting? Iíll try to make one one of these days.

I took advantage of the sun on Thursday to wet tumble about 400 rounds of 45 ACP brass. Today, I loaded 300 on the Dillon 650. X-Treme 230 grain copper plated bullets over 4.7 grains Bullseye and S&B primers. Mixed brass. No crushed cases. No split cases. No upside down primers. No mistakes. Just a nice morning spent reloading.

Happy shooting and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
How was the meeting? Iíll try to make one one of these days.

I took advantage of the sun on Thursday to wet tumble about 400 rounds of 45 ACP brass. Today, I loaded 300 on the Dillon 650. X-Treme 230 grain copper plated bullets over 4.7 grains Bullseye and S&B primers. Mixed brass. No crushed cases. No split cases. No upside down primers. No mistakes. Just a nice morning spent reloading.

Happy shooting and be safe.

Amended-Found more brass. Reloaded 400, not 300.

Picture with the aforementioned 400 rounds reloaded.

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:47 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Mixed brass. No crushed cases. No split cases. No upside down primers. No mistakes. Just a nice morning spent reloading.
Right up until you realize that are 75 small-primer cases mixed in your stock of 5,000 .45acp brass.

Old 03-22-2019, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Right up until you realize that are 75 small-primer cases mixed in your stock of 5,000 .45acp brass.

Small primer 45 acp is the DEVIL!!! Lol!

I had a run of SPP for a while. Iíve been pretty fortunate the last few times at the range since I only pickup my own brass mostly. I also sort my brass before i clean it so most gets weeded out then too.

I also try to sweep my lane before and during so I donít get too many other peoples brass mixed in. I use a sharpie and mark my brass so I can see which brass is mine too.

I have a case of SPP Blazer Brass that I bought a few years ago that is just for training classes.

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-22-2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
How was the meeting? I’ll try to make one one of these days.
It was a good gathering. I'm gonna guess there were about 20 people there. Most of us brought equipment of some kind or another to work with or to show others. For example, this time:
  • Lee Single Stage Press
  • Lee Classic Turret Press
  • MEC shotshell presses
  • Dillon Shotshell Presses
  • Rollsizers
  • Wet tumbler

Last time, the equipment was different. So it depends on who shows and what they are interested in showing or using that day.

The group also has a chronograph if you want to test-fire your reloads on the Action Pistol Range, which is just outside of the meeting room. (I think a $5 range fee applies.) Note that this range currently only permits centerfire pistol, rimfire rifle and rimfire pistol. So no centerfire rifle can be shot off yet.

Some people are reloading or at least doing some operation of reloading. Some people are gabbing. Some people are playing show-and-tell for newbies who are interested in learning.

This is the second time I've gone, and I plan to keep going. The group is getting off the ground, so there will be more organization to the meetings in the future, but for now it is extremely casual.

Everyone is very friendly, so please pass the word to anyone who is interested. If you PM me your e-mail address, I will add you to the group's mailing list.

Last edited by mrbigsteel; 05-15-2019 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Fix minor typo
Old 03-22-2019, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It was a good gathering. I'm gonna guess there were about 20 people there. Most of us brought equipment of some kind or another to work with or to show others. For example, this time:
  • Lee Single Stage Press
  • Lee Classic Turret Press
  • MEC shotshell presses
  • Dillon Shotshell Presses
  • Rollsizers
  • Wet tubmbler

Last time, the equipment was different. So it depends on who shows and what they are interested in showing or using that day.

The group also has a chronograph if you want to test-fire your reloads on the Action Pistol Range, which is just outside of the meeting room. (I think a $5 range fee applies.) Note that this range currently only permits centerfire pistol, rimfire rifle and rimfire pistol. So no centerfire rifle can be shot off yet.

Some people are reloading or at least doing some operation of reloading. Some people are gabbing. Some people are playing show-and-tell for newbies who are interested in learning.

This is the second time I've gone, and I plan to keep going. The group is getting off the ground, so there will be more organization to the meetings in the future, but for now it is extremely casual.

Everyone is very friendly, so please pass the word to anyone who is interested. If you PM me your e-mail address, I will add you to the group's mailing list.
Nice! I'd like to see how my loads are performing. I know I bought some weird bullets that don't seem to like the middle of the target for some reason...

I've only loaded roughly 5k rounds so far and I think I've got it down to a decent groove, but always willing to learn. I know I've made a ton of mistakes and have learned a lot making those mistakes.

PM incoming.

Thanks and hope to meet up with y'all soon.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-08-2019, 9:50 AM

FYI. Diablo Rod & Gun Club's reloading group is meeting next week Wednesday April 17th at 6 PM at United Sportsmen in Concord.

More info here: https://diablorodandgun.com/event/di...ng/2019-04-17/

Old 04-21-2019, 5:37 PM

The next Diablo Rod & Gun Club reloading meeting is on Wed May 15th (link).

Here's what's planned for that meeting:

We are bringinng in a single stage press and will go from beginning to end on how to find a recipe according to the powder you have purchased. From there utilizing a reloading manual and the tolerances and quantities called out in the manual, we will reload some cartridges and then shoot them along with chronographing them.

Anyone with a single stage press can bring it in with some sort of plywood base and we will help people as a group.

PEOPLE SHOULD BRING:
  • Single stage press
  • Powder, Primers, Brass, Bullets for the cartridge you would like to reload.
  • Reloading Manual (don't need one but if you are going to reload you MUST have one eventually) We can loan one to you.
  • Scale if you have it (we have loaners)
  • Calipers for determining OAL (we have loaners)
  • Safety glasses.
  • $5 range fee if you want to shoot and chronograph your reloads.
Old 05-07-2019, 6:12 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Will the reloading session be for pistol, rifle, shotgun ...all three? Start time?

Thanks

Edit...just read the link in the first post... looks like pistol, start at 6pm ....anyone there that is willing to go through rifle reloading?

I can share shotgun shell reloading if any one is interested

Last edited by Thefeeder; 05-07-2019 at 6:18 PM..
Old 05-07-2019, 6:15 PM

Is the pistol range open?

Looking at the page, they say its closed for repairs?

- I believe in Safety ALWAYS. Bad things happen if you only do it first...
Old 05-08-2019, 4:05 PM

I'm interested in attending the Diablo event. Any others in the east bay or reloading classes within the bay area? I can't see to find anything within an hour or so drive from SF. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaxa07 View Post
I'm interested in attending the Diablo event. Any others in the east bay or reloading classes within the bay area? I can't see to find anything within an hour or so drive from SF. Thanks!

This was a while ago, but when I was at Highway 29 Outdoors in American Canyon, they said they hold reloading classes from time to time. Give them a call and see if they have anything scheduled.

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-09-2019, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4alex View Post
Is the pistol range open? Looking at the page, they say its closed for repairs?
The public pistol and rifle ranges are currently closed. Construction is planned for this year. When I was last out there a month ago, grading work was in progress.

All trap and skeet fields are open.

The Multipurpose rifle/pistol range (up to 200 yards) is open, but limited to .22LR caliber only.

The action shooting range (right next to where the reloading group meets) is open. .22LR pistol/rifle permitted. Centerfire pistol permitted. Centerfire pistol caliber carbine permitted. Centerfire rifle NOT permitted. All shooting on this ranges must take place under specially constructed frames with ballistic roofs. No movement (running and gunning) is permitted. So the only "action" shooting that currently takes place there is Steel Challenge. See the Diablo Rod & Gun Club web site for info on that.

The reloading group shoots on the above-mentioned action shooting range for purposes of testing loads/chronographing, etc.

(This is the status as I know it, since you asked. Others: Please don't turn this thread into a commentary on the range, the imposed limits, and how/why they got there.)

Hoping to see some of you at a future reloading meeting.
Old 05-09-2019, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
...anyone there that is willing to go through rifle reloading?
The focus of this upcoming meeting will be reloading of pistol cartridges. However, there for sure are people there who are experienced at all three (rifle, pistol, shotgun) if you have questions to ask or would like a basic overview.

This is a new format for us. (Having a specific topic for the meeting.) Up until now, the meetings have been informal and different activities have been going on in different corners of the meeting room.

If this format is a hit, I imagine that a future meeting might specifically cover rifle, and a later meeting cover shotgun.
Old 06-09-2019, 3:17 PM

FYI. Diablo Rod & Gun Club's reloading group is next meeting Wednesday June 19th at 6 PM at United Sportsmen in Concord.

We will be demonstrating the reloading procedure for bottleneck rifle cartridges (specifically .223 Remington / 5.56 NATO) on a single-stage press.

More info here: https://diablorodandgun.com/event/di...ng/2019-06-19/

Old 06-14-2019, 8:40 AM

Default Diablo Rod and Gun Reloading Club Meeting 6/19

Quote:
FYI. Diablo Rod & Gun Club's reloading group is next meeting Wednesday June 19th at 6 PM at United Sportsmen in Concord.

We will be demonstrating the reloading procedure for bottleneck rifle cartridges (specifically .223 Remington / 5.56 NATO) on a single-stage press.

More info here: https://diablorodandgun.com/event/di...ng/2019-06-19/

Just to piggyback on this invite, we have a short video on YouTube showing a previous meeting. Our participants are of all ages,with men, women and youths.
Safety and fun are highlighted- we have some equipment to demonstrate and are accumulating more to assist you in progressing in your journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mUqQr1A3DA
Old 06-30-2019, 10:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default July meeting

I want to go to the July meeting. I have time off this month.
Old 07-08-2019, 8:28 PM

FYI. Diablo Rod & Gun Club's reloading group is next meeting Wednesday July 17th at 6 PM at United Sportsmen in Concord.

There will be a brief tutorial on the bullet casting process and safety requirements. Then a demonstration of bottom pour and dipping methods followed by a Q&A session, time permitting.

More info here: https://diablorodandgun.com/event/di...ng/2019-07-17/

Old 08-07-2019, 2:37 AM

I would definitely be interested. I live in Concord
Old 08-11-2019, 4:04 PM

Diablo Rod & Gun Club's reloading group is next meeting Wednesday August 21st at 6 PM at United Sportsmen in Concord.

The subject of this meeting will be shotshell reloading, including specialty loads, like beanbags.

More info here: https://diablorodandgun.com/event/di...ng/2019-08-21/

Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Default Reloading Supplies in San Jose area

Hi,
It's been a while since I've been on this forum and mostly lurked around reading before. I thought I'd post this in your Eastbay thread in hopes that somebody would know of resources for me in the San Jose area. I have my press set up and finally gotten all the stuff I think I need to reload some ammo but now need to find the best place to find the supplies at a descent price. I live in Santa Cruz if I were to find anything here I know it would be stupid expensive and know San Jose would be much more cometitive. So I'm hoping somebody can give me some leads or point me to a thread for a southbay area club. I looked through the forum but did not see anything.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Craig
Old 09-11-2019, 3:00 PM

Reed's indoor range is my favorite down there, there is also Cabela's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by jessdigs; 09-11-2019 at 6:53 PM..
Old 09-11-2019, 5:34 PM

Sort of an anti-answer, but whatever I hope it helps.

The only supplies I get in stores are powder and primers. Lately I've been buying my powder from the reloading marketplace here on calguns as the stores near me usually do not have what I'm looking for. As far as price goes I've always found calguns to be at or just under online store prices, but I save sales tax and hazmat fees if it's for something my LGS doesn't carry. I also always buy my brass from the calguns marketplace. Bmfdez and eatdirt are fantastic.

If you're looking for a good deal on bullets check out Montana Gold Bullets online. I love their stuff. Powder valley covers hazmat sometimes if you buy enough powder or primers.

Old 09-11-2019, 7:37 PM

Diablo Rod & Gun Club's reloading group is next meeting Wednesday September 18th at 6 PM at United Sportsmen in Concord.

More info here: https://diablorodandgun.com/event/di...ng/2019-09-18/

Old 09-12-2019, 4:16 PM

Default Reloading Supplies in San Jose area

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I just have to get out there and show around and compare prices. Thanks
Old 09-13-2019, 6:22 AM

I've only been in Bay Area Gun Vault a two times but I like the vibe. Bought a gun and picked up. The had a relatively decent amount of reloading stuff which almost no one has these days. I'd call to see first.
http://www.bayareagunvault.com/
Also, Black Dog in Fremont. A bit further north bit if you're in the area...
Old 09-16-2019, 12:58 PM

Ok, Thanks Jimbo. I'll check em out
Old 10-09-2019, 7:35 AM

Diablo Rod & Gun Club's reloading group is next meeting Wednesday October 16th at 6 PM at United Sportsmen in Concord.

More info here: https://diablorodandgun.com/event/di...ng/2019-10-16/

If you are interested in giving reloading a try but don't have all of the equipment, we have two single-stage presses for club use. We also have a small assortment of club reloading dies: 9mm Luger, .223 Remington/5.56 NATO, .357 Mag, 10 mm Auto. You will need to bring your own brass, powder, primers and projectiles. PM me if you are interested to make sure a press is available and that we will have what you need.

Last edited by mrbigsteel; 10-09-2019 at 5:06 PM.. Reason: Minor typo