Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 12-05-2014, 12:05 PM

Default looking for a place to shoot in San Bernardino area

Hello everyone looking for a place out in the mountains where I can shoot. what open area are there? What ranges are open in the area open not indoors. Need help finding. thankx
Old 12-05-2014, 12:10 PM

Go up to Hodge road off the 15 freeway, before Barstow and after Victorville. When you get off the exit go west and anywhere back there is good to go. Just stay away from the cell tower and please clean your trash.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:05 PM

Hodge road isn't legal, look it up. BLM states to shoot you must be north of Barstow. Hodge road is a shotgun hunting area only.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Banned

Lake Arrowhead Fish and Game outdoor range is open to the public on the weekends 10-2. A annual pass is 75 bucks and you may still be able to get a pass if you show up this weekend. I show up at 3 in the afternoon on the weekdays and almost always have the range to myself.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4WD View Post
Hodge road isn't legal, look it up. BLM states to shoot you must be north of Barstow. Hodge road is a shotgun hunting area only.

Hodge is legal. Where did you hear that it isn't? The San Bernardino county shooting map shows that the target shooting zone starts just below Hodge off the 15.

If that isn't enough, the Commissioner of San Bernardino County Fish and Game Commission is a member of Calguns and has stated here publicly that Hodge is legal.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 12-06-2014, 12:30 AM

Hodge is legal, just not near the Highway or cell tower. Just drive in a little ways and your good to go. Thanks for the info Sleighter, I knew it was legal.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:52 AM

There's shootings on Waterman every night. Is that helpful?
Old 12-06-2014, 11:17 PM

Shooting of any kind is not permitted in the Stoddard Valley OHV Recreation Area (except shotgun use during hunting season) and in the El Mirage OHV Recreation Area. These areas are heavily used by off-highway vehicles. What might be a great backstop for recreational shooters may be a rider's favorite hill climb or descent route.

Target shooting is allowed on land managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The legal target shooting area is the area north, northwest, or northeast of Barstow, taking into consideration any private land, posted signs, and other rules and regulations that would apply.

That is all right off the BLM website. Hodge is in Stoddard Valley so therefore it wouldn't be legal according to my understanding of that text.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishtq View Post
lol I laugh because it’s semi-true but I cry a little because it’s semi-true and I live here
Old 12-06-2014, 11:31 PM

You could check out Lytle Creek Shooting Range.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Careful though,the one off Waterman has interactive targets..They shoot back!!
Old 12-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Quote:
Shooting of any kind is not permitted in the Stoddard Valley OHV Recreation Area (except shotgun use during hunting season) and in the El Mirage OHV Recreation Area. These areas are heavily used by off-highway vehicles. What might be a great backstop for recreational shooters may be a rider's favorite hill climb or descent route.

Target shooting is allowed on land managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The legal target shooting area is the area north, northwest, or northeast of Barstow, taking into consideration any private land, posted signs, and other rules and regulations that would apply.

That is all right off the BLM website. Hodge is in Stoddard Valley so therefore it wouldn't be legal according to my understanding of that text.

Ah, I see the confusion. Yes it's all Stoddard valley. But that is talking specifically about the OHV recreation area. That is all east of the 15. It is only legal to shoot in that area WEST of the 15 because of the OHV area. If you look at or get the SB county shooting map it shows the OHV areas that are shotgun hunting only.

Old 12-07-2014, 7:02 PM

Interesting thanks for the clarification. I have been driving the extra distance to Calico to shoot which I don't mind because I like the isolated canyons it offers. How far west off Hodge do you have to go to shoot? How is it out there i.e. crowded, dangerous, etc? Is there a lot of good safe areas to shoot there?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Interesting thanks for the clarification. I have been driving the extra distance to Calico to shoot which I don't mind because I like the isolated canyons it offers. How far west off Hodge do you have to go to shoot? How is it out there i.e. crowded, dangerous, etc? Is there a lot of good safe areas to shoot there?

If you go west off of the 15 about 150 yards the pavement ends and it turns to a dirt road. On the right you'll see a hill that most use as a backstop. Everything past that is legal, with the exception of the hill with the cell tower. DONT SHOOT TOWARDS THE TOWER!!!

The farther from the 15 you get the less crowded and in my opinion the safer it gets. Don't go too far south or you'll cross into the shotgun only region. There is plenty of room out there to shoot. So I go and find a nice quiet spot away from other people. If I wanted to be crowded I would go to a range.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:04 PM

Perfect thanks for the info. I've been off-roading the other side for years and know that area but never have gone left off the freeway.
Old 01-20-2015, 1:23 PM

That's pretty much all private property west of the Hodge Rd exit. From the 15 freeway all the way to Route 66 in the west and from about Wild Wash Rd in the south all the way up to the Lenwood exit. All private property, I've got easy access to public records and have looked through all the county records and BLM maps. There's a little tiny spot (less than 3/4 of a square mile) thats BLM, about 2 miles west of the Hodge exit but that is it for BLM land.

Most of the owners are corporations or out of area so they've probably never even seen the mess that is out there. An equestrian center in Sherman Oaks owns about 1300 acres around the cell tower.

Last edited by MrMADMATTJONES; 01-20-2015 at 1:25 PM.. Reason: clarification.
Old 02-24-2015, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMADMATTJONES View Post
That's pretty much all private property west of the Hodge Rd exit. From the 15 freeway all the way to Route 66 in the west and from about Wild Wash Rd in the south all the way up to the Lenwood exit. All private property, I've got easy access to public records and have looked through all the county records and BLM maps. There's a little tiny spot (less than 3/4 of a square mile) thats BLM, about 2 miles west of the Hodge exit but that is it for BLM land.

Most of the owners are corporations or out of area so they've probably never even seen the mess that is out there. An equestrian center in Sherman Oaks owns about 1300 acres around the cell tower.
Interesting, I took a look and you're right. I assumed most of that was public land but a cursory look seems to show a greater majority is privately owned. Even right off of Hodge Rd. to the west. I'd say close to 90% of it appears to be privately owned. Funny enough, the area where I shoot there every so often is actually public land.
Old 04-19-2015, 8:36 PM

Look up manzanita flats. That's where we go shooting. Just up the 330 about 6 or 7 miles....
Old 05-04-2015, 11:21 AM

Default Check with the forest service before you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shorty View Post
Look up manzanita flats. That's where we go shooting. Just up the 330 about 6 or 7 miles....
I'd call and check with the Forest Service before you drive out, they often lock the gate at the entrance to Forest Road 1N09 at highway 330. I wouldn't recommend taking your low clearance sedan out there either. There's a few streams you have to cross before you get to the designated shooting area.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:21 PM

Checkk out West End Gun Club
Wegc.org

They are members only but worth it in my opinion.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:58 PM

Were is manzanita flats ? Is it by 1N09
Old 05-15-2015, 1:02 PM

Quote:
True! My father-in-law was in St. Bernadine's Hospital for a few days. Each night that we were there there were at least 2 shooting patients.
Old 05-15-2015, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMADMATTJONES View Post
I'd call and check with the Forest Service before you drive out, they often lock the gate at the entrance to Forest Road 1N09 at highway 330. I wouldn't recommend taking your low clearance sedan out there either. There's a few streams you have to cross before you get to the designated shooting area.
Called this morning and the ranger told me 1N09 is open.
Old 05-15-2015, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKman626 View Post
Were is manzanita flats ? Is it by 1N09
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...06823a!6m1!1e1

Mill Creek Ranger Station is just a few miles before the turn off for shooting area. Be sure to get an Adventure Pass.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:00 AM

I know that the Perris Ca area is closed down for the fire season. So is there any place to shoot on BLM land that is open now? Like Barstow area...does anyone know if it's open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoljake
...It's like chasing a Chupacabra or Sasquatch...
Old 07-29-2015, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

Correction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalManilla View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...06823a!6m1!1e1

Mill Creek Ranger Station -City Creek Ranger Station is just a few miles before the turn off for shooting area. Be sure to get an Adventure Pass.
The Mill Creek Ranger Station is at the base of HWY 38 leading up to what is commonly referred as the "back way" to Big Bear.
And there are no target shooting areas near the Mill Creek Ranger Station.
If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
...I'd have $0.10.
Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.

Last edited by PoorRichRichard; 07-29-2015 at 12:25 AM..
Old 07-29-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorRichRichard View Post
Correction:

The Mill Creek Ranger Station is at the base of HWY 38 leading up to what is commonly referred as the "back way" to Big Bear.
And there are no target shooting areas near the Mill Creek Ranger Station.
So is this place open for shooting during this summer season? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoljake
...It's like chasing a Chupacabra or Sasquatch...
Old 07-30-2015, 7:09 PM
Veteran Member

With the little bit of rain we've been getting, maybe. You'd need to call them on a daily basis to find out. Also I think the road leading to the various shooting spots (N109) has some errosion issued.
If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
...I'd have $0.10.
Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardog308 View Post
Lake Arrowhead Fish and Game outdoor range is open to the public on the weekends 10-2. A annual pass is 75 bucks and you may still be able to get a pass if you show up this weekend. I show up at 3 in the afternoon on the weekdays and almost always have the range to myself.
After reading over their range rules, it looks as though holstered sidearms are prohibited for everyone but RM's and LEO.
No thanks.