Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-02-2015, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Default I hate ACU's

I have drill tomorrow. Pulled out my uniform to remember my velcro sleeve cuffs were worn out. Tried shaving them down to see if they'd stick. Didn't work so I ended up having to buy another uniform top.

I do have another viration that uses buttons like the old BDU. I miss BDU's When will the Army learn?
Old 01-02-2015, 3:42 PM

I like BDUs too. I still have mine. I also like shiny black boots.
Old 01-02-2015, 3:44 PM

they are 1000 times better than ABU's... at least they're comfortable.
Old 01-02-2015, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

the ACU tops have buttons on the cuff. and the new uniform comes out this summer

funny you say that my uniforms from deployment in 05 are fine on the cuffs. I don't close my cuffs around my wrist so i do not open and close the Velcro on them at all.

buttons on the cargo pockets as well on new ACU's as well.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-02-2015, 8:17 PM

How do you just replace the top? It won't match the fade of any of the pants you wear with it and then you will stand out big time. They sell repair kits for the ACU's if you need a cheaper alternative until you can DX your ACU's. You are lucky and get free sets. As an AGR I have to buy new Uniforms and PT's this year.
Old 01-02-2015, 8:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

with the new uniform and pattern coming out this summer. i wont waste my time fixing any of my uniforms. i have too many as it is. as for issue for it i have no idea.

i have seen the new PT's haven't tried them on but i have seen people with them on.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-03-2015, 6:35 PM

multi cam were the only good ones.
Old 01-04-2015, 9:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Once worn in, I find ACUs quite comfortable. Yes the velcro sucks though. I've got trousers with buttons and they are 100x better than the velcro crap they issued me at Basic. The Clothing & Sales at my local post sells uniforms wih either choice. I get my clothing allowance this month so debating if I should replace a worn set or just wait til they release the Scorpion pattern.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg0777 View Post
How do you just replace the top? It won't match the fade of any of the pants you wear with it and then you will stand out big time. They sell repair kits for the ACU's if you need a cheaper alternative until you can DX your ACU's. You are lucky and get free sets. As an AGR I have to buy new Uniforms and PT's this year.
I ended up buying a repair kit at the px. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference in mismatching of the uniform hue. My buddy did a quick uniform inspection and couldn't tell either. 1SG didn't notice either. Did find plenty of " Irish pendants" to burn and cut off though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidens83 View Post
Once worn in, I find ACUs quite comfortable. Yes the velcro sucks though. I've got trousers with buttons and they are 100x better than the velcro crap they issued me at Basic. The Clothing & Sales at my local post sells uniforms wih either choice. I get my clothing allowance this month so debating if I should replace a worn set or just wait til they release the Scorpion pattern.
I would wait. No sense in buying a soon to be obsolete uniform that will begin issue in the summer. Yes, there is a 2 year " wear out" period. But I think mainly reverses will be the only ones to wear them like the old BDU's.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 01-04-2015 at 10:40 AM..
Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 AM

I hate the ACU as well, but I did learn the trick to keeping the Velcro usable. First of all, when washing it, close your Velcro against whatever flat, then flip the uniform inside out when washing.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO USE PERMANENT PRESS heat when you put it in the dryer. If you use regular heat, it is too hot for the Velcro and it wil make it useless.

Even when using permanent press heat, I still keep the ACU inside out when I put it in the dryer.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

In 14.5 years of service the only uniform I have every purchased was my ASUs. I have spent money on having rank sewn on, both BDUs and now that I picked up my 7, name tapes and rank on one set of UCP ACUs and three sets of OCP ACUs for when we make the switch. But I've never purchased ACU, BDU, APFU, or class A uniform tops or bottoms.
Old 01-06-2015, 4:26 PM

If you hate the ACU, then you should have joined the Marine Corps. But then again, you might not be able to hack it. They've got plenty of female Marines that can woop your arse in PT.
Old 01-06-2015, 8:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmn View Post
I hate the ACU as well, but I did learn the trick to keeping the Velcro usable. First of all, when washing it, close your Velcro against whatever flat, then flip the uniform inside out when washing.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO USE PERMANENT PRESS heat when you put it in the dryer. If you use regular heat, it is too hot for the Velcro and it wil make it useless.

Even when using permanent press heat, I still keep the ACU inside out when I put it in the dryer.
dude that is old news. that was put out in 05 when they were being issued. I air dry my uniform the darn things like to shrink. not around the waist it appears they get shrink on the legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch_paradox View Post
If you hate the ACU, then you should have joined the Marine Corps. But then again, you might not be able to hack it. They've got plenty of female Marines that can woop your arse in PT.
then there is this. don't worry it's ok we understand those long trips with the Navy guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_11b View Post
multi cam were the only good ones.
I have a set my friend sent me from Afghanistan. much better fit than my ACU's I have now. the shirt fits better and the pants a little more comfortable. it's nice to have buttons on the cargo pockets once again. that was my real only WTF on the ACU's when they came out.

contact the governor
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 01-06-2015 at 8:31 PM..
Old 01-06-2015, 9:25 PM

OCP uniforms being issued in 2014 were cut significantly larger and longer than my ACUs. They were also the flame-resistant rayon material.
Old 01-06-2015, 9:40 PM

I didnt mean to offend your sensitive Army heart Chris, but I was reffering to the OP's post regarding this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=955966