Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Default FMK Polymer Lower

I recently got a FMK stripped polymer lower, and was wondering what folks think of them.
Its called the "AR 1 Patriot"
it is high impact composite polymer.
The AR 1 Patriot comes with a lifetime warranty.
and is believed to have the 'Tree of Liberty' Jefferson quote engraved on the side

I have LW-15's, and if there's demand I will do a side by side after DROS.

Here is a pic of mine (only got one prior to DROS)

Last edited by Tripper; 09-16-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I think FMK needs to stop with the wall of text on the gun gimmick. It looks terrible.

BTW, that's not the bill of rights or even the second amendment above the flag there. If they put the bill of rights on the other side, I can only imagine how much worse it looks(at least it'd provide grip for people who use the mag well for that?). Also, our flag has stars in it, that one doesn't.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Calguns Addict

i thought this was the bill of rights version, i cant see that well, so, cant say what the heck it is
come to think of it, I think they mentioned a Jefferson quote (edited, lol)

Last edited by Tripper; 09-16-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's the tree of liberty Thomas Jefferson quote.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
I think FMK needs to stop with the wall of text on the gun gimmick. It looks terrible.
yup, I thought their pistol wasn't half-bad functionally, and might have looked at it further to see how well it worked, but couldn't get past all those dumb engravings (not the content, but how it was done). it look an inexpensive glock-clone and turned it into a joke gun.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
yup, I thought their pistol wasn't half-bad functionally, and might have looked at it further to see how well it worked, but couldn't get past all those dumb engravings (not the content, but how it was done). it look an inexpensive glock-clone and turned it into a joke gun.
Yeah, I'm not super concerned with aesthetics, but at the same time they went out of their way to make it look horrible. At least the text on the mag well of an AR lower doesn't look as bad as it does all over the pistol slide.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Yeah, I'm not super concerned with aesthetics, but at the same time they went out of their way to make it look horrible. At least the text on the mag well of an AR lower doesn't look as bad as it does all over the pistol slide.
You can't read it unless your looking closely, I might even use whiteout to bring it out some to read easier
Or color the inset OD or coyote, that would bring out the quote a bit
What's a good paint to use on the polymers
Old 09-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

I think these lowers are way better looking than the "other" polymer lowers. I like the finish on the FMK lowers much better. I can't get past all the plastic stuff on the others.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I have two now

Old 09-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Calguns Addict

The finish does 'feel' better and looks different too
Old 09-30-2012, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Should I strip down a lw15 and do side by side?
Old 10-01-2012, 3:17 PM

I like the idea of making a rifle as light as possible. I don't think it looks bad at all. Nice product.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

I have done a side by side comparison. I stick with my earlier comments.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLFD1 View Post
I think these lowers are way better looking than the "other" polymer lowers. I like the finish on the FMK lowers much better. I can't get past all the plastic stuff on the others.
Appearance concerns me less than durability. I was planning on using one of these for a 7.62x39mm AR but there's a lot of people out there claiming that Polymer receivers are proned to failures.

Can anyone attest to the reliability of the FMK poly receivers?

I'm wondering if it's a bad fit for 7.62x39mm...
Old 01-18-2013, 9:23 AM
CGN Contributor

Any update on this? I see at least one vendor has several of these in stock and I'd like to know if it's a good investment for a new AR purchaser or if I should spend a few more pennies for a standard (read: not polymer) lower and wait even longer to buy the other components.
Old 01-18-2013, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudrumpus View Post
Any update on this? I see at least one vendor has several of these in stock and I'd like to know if it's a good investment for a new AR purchaser or if I should spend a few more pennies for a standard (read: not polymer) lower and wait even longer to buy the other components.
They have a "lifetime warranty", FWIW. Other polymer receivers have a bad rep but I'm going to give one a try on a 7.62x39 upper. If it can withstand that without failure, it should work fine with 5.56. Now, I just need an LPK, a muzzle brake (for "featureless") and a stock. The MB is on order, but the LPK and the stock are going to be tough.
Old 02-08-2013, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

my few frontier armory polymer lower , rifle weights in at 5lbs .
Old 02-08-2013, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbaca View Post
[/IMG]

my few frontier armory polymer lower , rifle weights in at 5lbs .
Looks great! What flash hider is that?

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 02-08-2013, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

pws diablo
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 PM

How many shots have you fired through it?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Hey guys, I just thought I would send some input here. I had bought 2 of these FMK AR-1 Patriot stripped lowers from Field Time Sports in Orange County. I have been pretty unhappy with them. The quality is a good quality. On my first one, I installed a CMMG lower parts kit, everything fit superb, no issues. I then attached a buffer tube kit w/stock from STAG ARMS. I installed that. No problems, stripped lower is now a complete lower. I was happy with it so far. I then placed a complete upper purchased from Tactiko arms out of texas on the lower. The rear pin would align properly. I really worked with it for some time and it just would not line up right. I then took that upper off and placed a STAG upper on, same issue. It would not line up with the rear takedown pin. My last try was taking my upper from my S&W M&P AR-15, and still, no luck. My only solution was to, very tediously and very carefully, redrill to spec. After that The upper fit fine, the pins move in and out and are not loose. So, that was fixed and I placed my complete tactiko arms upper on it.

The second lower was a different problem. This time I used lower parts kit from STAG. It was a nightmare. The trigger group installed fine however it seems that nearly ALL of the holes that were drilled during manufacturing are too slim. You couldn't even drop in a detent. The holes weren't big enough. you could carefully redrill, or you could take a small punch and hammer in the detent which I do not like doing. If you are going to hammer in a detent, how the hell are you going to get it out later, unless you never plan to get it out. I just have not had any luck with these lowers. There does not seem to be a consistency with how they are manufactured. I can understand if things are a tight fit, I don't have any issues with that, especially because it is polymer, however not fitting at all turns a simple job into a couple of hours work. I have nothing against FMK or this AR-1 Patriot, I am just unhappy with what I have personally experienced.

Last edited by NSDQ160th; 03-11-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Banned

I also own a fmk and as mentioned above after installing a cmmg lpk, I have found that a upper will not fit.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I wanted one of these and could not find a dealer. Called FMK and they said they would not send one to my FFL and gave me the number of a distributor. Called the distributor and they told me that my FFL had to order a minumum of ten of them to get an order shipped. I had enough and called FMK back. I advised them that it did not seem to me that they wanted my money. I bought a poly lower from ATI through Palmetto. SHould be at my FFL on Monday the first.

PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

When pimping begins, friendship ends.

Don't let your history be a mystery
Old 03-29-2013, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

I think there was a thread on ar15 or somewhere that one of these broke.. And this isn't the first time I heard about the rear takedown pin problem..

Costa Mesa based company.. Which is cool and makes me want to support them.. I may buy one of their handguns with the 10lb trigger pull .. but I need to look into what can be done to upgrade it a little.. I know you can replace the FCG and get rid of the mag disconnect and clean up the trigger.. but I want to say they are Single Action only.. which is a turn off..

they also have a 9mm? carbine that they sell.. saw a combo before this blitz carbine and handgun.
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 04-06-2013, 1:47 AM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

FWIW I saw one tonight, that was built on a 9mm pistol upper break on the 3rd total round it fired after being built. The owner is a member here and will probably be posting a thread on it soon.
Old 04-06-2013, 9:35 AM

I have built my first AR with FMK. I can not say anything bad about them at all. I built 2 complete guns pictured above. I have also built 6 complete FMK lowers with PSA Lower Parts Kits, both Premium Classic and Magpul MOE versions.

The gun is significantly lighter in weight compared to that of other AR's I have used and been assigned to over many of years.

For those that talk bad about POLYMER LOWERS, Glock is made from polymer lowers. The quote on the FMK lower is by Thomas Jefferson. It's an American Flag, but if the stars were imprinted or engraved into the flag, it would look like a big blob. I really like these lowers and highly recommend it to someone who is looking for a personal rifle for plinking or home self defense. If you plan on using it to go to war, definitely use the aluminum or billet. FMK did a great job with this lower!

Last edited by OneLuckyDaddy; 04-06-2013 at 9:36 AM.. Reason: update
Old 04-15-2013, 9:22 AM

We're an FMK dealer in East Tennessee and have shipped FMK AR-1 Patriots and 9C1 pistols all across the country.

We've had only ONE instance where someone damaged their lower.

As soon as they told us it was damaged, we contacted FMK. They immediately said that she could send it back and that they'd send her another one as soon as they had it in stock. As she was already a customer, we simply sent hers back to FMK on her behalf and sent her a replacement FMK lower that we already had in stock.

FMK has been nothing but stellar in their customer service, prompt responses, and in honoring their lifetime guarantee. We wouldn't be a dealer for them if they were at all questionable.

Of course, of all the lowers we've sold, we've only had the one to need replacement. That should say something about them as well.

Just my 2 cents...

Rachel Young on behalf of FightingSheepDog.com
Old 05-09-2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLuckyDaddy View Post

I have built my first AR with FMK. I can not say anything bad about them at all. I built 2 complete guns pictured above. I have also built 6 complete FMK lowers with PSA Lower Parts Kits, both Premium Classic and Magpul MOE versions.

The gun is significantly lighter in weight compared to that of other AR's I have used and been assigned to over many of years.

For those that talk bad about POLYMER LOWERS, Glock is made from polymer lowers. The quote on the FMK lower is by Thomas Jefferson. It's an American Flag, but if the stars were imprinted or engraved into the flag, it would look like a big blob. I really like these lowers and highly recommend it to someone who is looking for a personal rifle for plinking or home self defense. If you plan on using it to go to war, definitely use the aluminum or billet. FMK did a great job with this lower!
Nice! What parts did you use for these builds? Are they both .223 ? I have two that I need to build out but I want to be sure I get parts that fit. I don't want ta hafta redrill or mess with the lower.

I am guessing you were able to build yours w/out modifications so I am very curious what you used....

Thanx!

JJJ-D
Old 05-25-2013, 7:20 PM

Default SWEET Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLuckyDaddy View Post

Those are some really sweet AR's. I'm getting ready to buy two, maybe three of the polymer stripped lowers. I am probably going to turn around and sell one or two of them since I'm getting a pretty good deal on them. With the other one, I want to build a 7.62x39mm AR. I already have a 5.56 AR but I need something with a little more power to kill hogs here in Florida. I would love to build a 30.06 AR but it doesn't look like they exist?

I would really be interested to know what parts you used for your build. I've looked at full kits from Model 1 Sales in Texas. I am thinking about the one on the bottom in the photo at this link with the quad rail. http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_id=215

I just bought my first AR right after the Sandy Hook thing and I've never built one so this is going to be fun. It will be a huge learning curve for me so any help you can give me and anywhere you can steer me to save me money on parts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post
I would love to build a 30.06 AR but it doesn't look like they exist?
They did, fairly briefly:

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315.../2900/2993.htm

Bought out by Bushmaster and disappeared.

As to the polymer lower thing in general, yes they work fine in other designs that were designed from the get to use a polymer frame, but the dimensions of the AR receiver were based on aluminum. If I had plenty of money to spare, I'd get one to play with, but always in the back of my mind I'd be worried about it's durability for serious work.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 07-10-2013, 9:20 PM

Just picked up a traded FMK lower, all complete and ready for bolt up testing. Have several new DS Arms uppers, neither would fit in the rear take down pin. .

Have a Colt XME16 upper I'll try too, but at this point it sounds like another ream job is called for. Anyone heard if FMK is performing this work under warranty, since their shop isn't too far away?
Old 09-07-2013, 3:49 PM

The problem with the takedown holes is that both holes are drilled wrong. Was trying to set my completed lower on my upper, the front pin went in fine till I tried to drop the upper down, would not seat flush and could not engage rear pin. After screwing around with it for a while, making sure it wasn't excess plastic and such, I finally set a stripped upper on it to get a better idea what was going on. Checked the holes and found the right side holes are off center just slightly, therefore you could put the front pin in with no problem, but dropping the upper into place the rear pin would not line up at all and rubbed the front of the lower. unfortunately I did not check before completing the lower. Also had to drill out the pin hole for the buffer, miner problem, just used a new 1/4" bit and turned it by hand. I have thought about drilling out the takedown pins, but don't want a loose fit between the upper and lower. It probably would be fine in the locked position as the upper is pulling up on the lower, but open the pins might be a bit loose and in the open position the upper would definitely be loose, but for cleaning only. I'm still kicking it around, fortunately FMK is only about 20 miles away and will take care of any problems as my son found out with his having some poorly drilled out holes. Always check before assembly, and pre-fit pins and springs.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber View Post
The problem with the takedown holes is that both holes are drilled wrong. Was trying to set my completed lower on my upper, the front pin went in fine till I tried to drop the upper down, would not seat flush and could not engage rear pin. After screwing around with it for a while, making sure it wasn't excess plastic and such, I finally set a stripped upper on it to get a better idea what was going on. Checked the holes and found the right side holes are off center just slightly, therefore you could put the front pin in with no problem, but dropping the upper into place the rear pin would not line up at all and rubbed the front of the lower. unfortunately I did not check before completing the lower. Also had to drill out the pin hole for the buffer, miner problem, just used a new 1/4" bit and turned it by hand. I have thought about drilling out the takedown pins, but don't want a loose fit between the upper and lower. It probably would be fine in the locked position as the upper is pulling up on the lower, but open the pins might be a bit loose and in the open position the upper would definitely be loose, but for cleaning only. I'm still kicking it around, fortunately FMK is only about 20 miles away and will take care of any problems as my son found out with his having some poorly drilled out holes. Always check before assembly, and pre-fit pins and springs.
I had the same problem. FMK sent me a new lower, no questions asked. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet...
Old 09-10-2013, 2:09 PM

^^^^ This. I got a new one from them as a replacement, same SN and all. Problem was that then I went to bolt on my Chippawa .22LR dedicated upper, and it was still VERY hard to get it attached. Could be that it was a carbon lower mating to a carbon upper, so I'll try a few of my DSA metal uppers to validate.

My wife's S&W MP15-22 doesn't seem to suffer from this same issue, so I still don't have high confidence about build quality, tooling accuracy, etc. Time will tell.
Old 10-22-2013, 9:33 AM

I had to mill my FMK lowers a bit where the buffer tube meets the upper. the lower had a bit too much hook to it. I also had to slightly enlarge the takedown pin hole in order to mate with my uppers. I have 2 lowers and 2 uppers. one .556 and one 300 AAC. after shooting amout 30 rounds through the 300 AAC that lower failed at the rear takedown pin. the .556 did not fail after about 50 rounds. I called FMK and they said they would replace the failed with an upgraded lower. When I mentioned my concern that the 2nd one would fail also they offered to replace both with same SN. I will see if they fit without further milling, and hopefully they won't fail. FYI serial numbers were 72xx.
Old 11-03-2013, 8:55 PM

I recieved both, "upgraded," AR-1 Extreme uppers on 11/1/13. not a bad turn around.
both uppers assembled without further milling and seemed to be quite an improvement over the AR-1 patriot. Take down pins fit the uppers.
I took them out Saturday for a quick few rounds. The one fit to a .300 Blackout upper cracked at the rear takedown pin after only a couple shots, but the 556 held up for about 20 rounds without failing. the 300 Blackout had less recoil than the 556, and the brass looked OK, so I don't think the loads were too hot. Warranty swap should not be a problem, so I guess I'll try again and post an update after tested.

Last edited by B2Busy; 11-04-2013 at 10:34 AM..
Old 11-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Here's mine.

Fmk ar1 patriot lower.
Cmmg parts kit (fit perfect, no problems)
Ati buffer
Rock river complete upper

Everything went together smooth in mine. Rear takedown is tight though. Not drill it out tight, just takes a lil oomph tight. Going to run some rounds through it now.
Old 11-30-2013, 9:28 AM

Do not buy from this company. For starters their AR15 lowers are very poor quality. I have seen with my own eyes After 40 rounds of 223 one break in half. Then I watched the bolt fly out of the back of the gun. Thank god my younger brother wasn’t hurt. You WILL take your life into your own hands. I went to their facility where I was kicked out for trying to talk to them. They said I have no right to be there and no right to try and have my lower replaced. I have 4 of them and even with the new ones they claim to have made that can hold up to 50 Beowulf I will not trust them.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboypumper View Post
Do not buy from this company. For starters their AR15 lowers are very poor quality. I have seen with my own eyes After 40 rounds of 223 one break in half. Then I watched the bolt fly out of the back of the gun. Thank god my younger brother wasn’t hurt. You WILL take your life into your own hands. I went to their facility where I was kicked out for trying to talk to them. They said I have no right to be there and no right to try and have my lower replaced. I have 4 of them and even with the new ones they claim to have made that can hold up to 50 Beowulf I will not trust them.

+11111 on this.
You want poly lower, get a GWACS. I have one and it seems great. No issues ever.

PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

When pimping begins, friendship ends.

Don't let your history be a mystery
Old 12-30-2013, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

No problems with mine, got over 100 rounds through it now. In fact I just bought another one. Ymmv