Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Congrats to those of you who also got approved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Bring in a bullet button and a mop. Ask him if he knows which is which.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:39 AM

Have not gotten a letter yet. I have applied and gotten my call from the officer.

My question is how do I change a carry gun. Thinking about carrying a different gun than one on my submitted list of 3? I have not taken any course yet either.
Old 08-31-2010, 1:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmaster View Post
Have not gotten a letter yet. I have applied and gotten my call from the officer.

My question is how do I change a carry gun. Thinking about carrying a different gun than one on my submitted list of 3? I have not taken any course yet either.
I got my letter a week ago. Yours should be here soon.
----------------------------
With my feet upon the ground, I move myself between the sound and Open wide to suck it in I feel It move across my skin
Old 08-31-2010, 6:20 PM

Hey Sacramento Calgunners. I was hoping someone knowledgeable in the Sac CCW process who has been approved could help me along with the process. A gracious PM would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much

Will
Old 08-31-2010, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmaster View Post

The CCW school listed the serials of the guns I qualified with. I didn't change any but I'd bet that when you submit the qualification cert if you tell Amber you changed guns all will be well.

ETA:
I just happened upon this thread that indicates you need to follow a different path than what I thought would be cool.

Last edited by jb7706; 08-31-2010 at 7:30 PM..
Old 08-31-2010, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FSTREX View Post
Hey Sacramento Calgunners. I was hoping someone knowledgeable in the Sac CCW process who has been approved could help me along with the process. A gracious PM would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much

Will
Everything you need to know is in this thread. Download and read the three docs listed much earlier, call/email Amber to get your appointment and off you go. Gray is the man to talk to if you have particular concerns, he has been "herding the cats" in this effort. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in my personal experiences, but they are mostly already posted here and very similar to all the others in the thread as well.
Old 09-01-2010, 1:37 PM

Read the thread and just called Ms. Wong. My appointment isnt until October 7th but at least i got it!
Old 09-01-2010, 1:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You should not hesitate to use a simple statement of good cause such as "I wish to acquire a permit to carry a concealed handgun for self-defense".
Old 09-01-2010, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I sent an email but have not heard back. Both telephone lines are on a voice mail loop and they both have their mailboxes full. Can't even get operator by dialing 0. It goes back to the voice mail.
CGN
Old 09-01-2010, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1911 View Post
I sent an email but have not heard back. Both telephone lines are on a voice mail loop and they both have their mailboxes full. Can't even get operator by dialing 0. It goes back to the voice mail.
The trick is posted in this thread. Just don't dial zero and wait out the voicemail I believe.
Old 09-02-2010, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basalt View Post
The trick is posted in this thread. Just don't dial zero and wait out the voicemail I believe.
I had the most success with email both pre appointment and post approval. Getting her on the phone is a crapshoot, even on alternate numbers. Amber will return your email eventually, for me it takes a few days sometimes.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Staying on the line is also not working. I have been on the line now for 20 minutes.

Finally got through while typing this and left a voice mail.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM

So people who got there CCW what are the expected fee's for all this beside the 20 dollar MO that has to be given ?
what will the whole thing cost ?

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/MeShooting-1.jpg
Old 09-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
So people who got there CCW what are the expected fee's for all this beside the 20 dollar MO that has to be given ?
what will the whole thing cost ?
For me, it's been

$20 initial fee
$90 CCW training course
$122 Livescan fee

I believe that's everything. If you choose to do multiple guns on your application, you must pay more for qualifying (I believe $20/each gun, depending on where you go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Bring in a bullet button and a mop. Ask him if he knows which is which.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM

sweet thanks so much for the info.

How about good excuses ? any one want to pm me some ideas ? as to what I should write in the letter.

Sorry about all these questions guys im new to this CCW idea because I never saw Sac County opening up like this and with the AB's that did not pass yesterday opened my eyes to all this

Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 AM

You don't need a "good excuse." See this post from Wildhawker: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=448
Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM

ok GTG im gonna apply now

Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyourmile View Post
For me, it's been

$20 initial fee
$90 CCW training course
$122 Livescan fee
$80 to the County after LiveScan approval

I believe that's everything. If you choose to do multiple guns on your application, you must pay more for qualifying (I believe $20/each gun, depending on where you go)
Added one more fee to your list above.

CSTA is $90 for the course and one gun ammo included. $10/gun thereafter, $30/gun if you use their ammo.

CCW class fees vary from $90 to one I saw that was over $200.
Old 09-02-2010, 2:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
You should not hesitate to use a simple statement of good cause such as "I wish to acquire a permit to carry a concealed handgun for self-defense".
I applied today and my statement was very similar to what you suggested.

I hadn't seen very specific details on parking downtown and thought I'd pass this on for the benefit of others who don't like driving around in circles to figure things out. If you're lucky, there will be some open spots along the curb right across the street (the south side of G street) which don't have meters and have a two hour parking limit. Otherwise, you can use the parking garage with an entrance directly across the street from the main entrance to the Sheriff's office. Parking in that structure is $1.75 for each 30 minutes (or fraction thereof).

Amber was very friendly and you basically stand at the counter while she asks you the questions on the application from memory (she says she can recite them in her sleep) and has you signed in three places and collects the check for $20. I was back out the front door in less than 10 minutes from my appointment time. She said I should receive a call from a detective in 7-10 days. It appears there are appointments every 15 minutes and it looks like there are lots of folks applying. I talked with one guy ahead of me who wasn't at all familiar with CalGuns and I mentioned it to him. He applied as he said McGinnis told him at others in a community meeting in the Wilton area that they should apply for a CCW for their protection since they were shutting down a station in their area. The other applicant seemed skeptical but I shared with him the success stories of folks from here.

Last edited by harbinger007; 09-02-2010 at 3:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-02-2010, 3:14 PM
Calguns Addict

"I wish to acquire a license to carry a handgun for the purpose of self defense".

Keep it simple, folks. I've gotten a lot of PM's with "pinch me, am I dreaming, is for this real for good cause?" If you're having difficulty getting an appointment, PM me for an email address.

-Gray
Old 09-02-2010, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I had my phone interview today Thanks Calguns and Gray Peterson for even making this possible!
Old 09-02-2010, 5:16 PM

I want to apply for mine soon, but am concerned about my handgun. The only handgun I have right now is a USP full size, and since I am a skinny guy, I can see that I might have problems with printing (at least in the summer). Maybe I'll wait until I can get something more compact...
Old 09-02-2010, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Get the CCW... then worry about the gun. Better to have it and not need it...
Old 09-02-2010, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

You're still concealed when printing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995
Old 09-02-2010, 5:25 PM

Gotcha. I guess as long as I can add a weapon to the list on the CCW at a later time, then all is well.
Old 09-02-2010, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead-Thrower View Post
Gotcha. I guess as long as I can add a weapon to the list on the CCW at a later time, then all is well.
Exactly!
Old 09-02-2010, 5:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead-Thrower View Post
I want to apply for mine soon, but am concerned about my handgun. The only handgun I have right now is a USP full size, and since I am a skinny guy, I can see that I might have problems with printing (at least in the summer). Maybe I'll wait until I can get something more compact...
Apply now. It's gonna take 2 or three months for the process to complete. In fact, they will not take your application with any guns on it, as it may change during the training course.
Old 09-02-2010, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
I had my phone interview today Thanks Calguns and Gray Peterson for even making this possible!
When did you turn your app in?
Old 09-02-2010, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
When did you turn your app in?

08/19/10
Old 09-02-2010, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Apply now. It's gonna take 2 or three months for the process to complete. In fact, they will not take your application with any guns on it, as it may change during the training course.
I just filled out the application. Should I list the handguns that I intend to qualify with, or leave that section blank? I'm confused...
Old 09-02-2010, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinger View Post
I just filled out the application. Should I list the handguns that I intend to qualify with, or leave that section blank? I'm confused...
Page 2 of your application states:

Quote:
Important Instructions

• Fill out, read, and sign Sections 1 through 5, as directed. Use additional pages if more space is required.

• Sections 6, 7, and 8 must be completed in the presence of an official of the licensing agency.

• Review Section 7 and be prepared to answer these questions orally. Do not write anything in Section 7 unless specifically directed to do so by the licensing agency.
Old 09-02-2010, 6:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinger View Post
From what I've been told, they leave that section blank until you've been qualified for the license and go back to complete the process. Someone who's BTDT please correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA: I've been told by a trusted source that while it's probably not required absolutely, it is preferable to fill out this section completely.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.

Last edited by wildhawker; 09-02-2010 at 6:24 PM..
Old 09-02-2010, 6:18 PM
Veteran Member

Wildhawker I have a question for you.
Quote:
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995
Old 09-02-2010, 6:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Go ahead caller.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 09-02-2010, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

I would prefer to ask you privately, if possible.
Quote:
Old 09-02-2010, 6:26 PM

Well, the application says fill out sections 1-5. The part where you list your firearms is Section 3. Pretty clear to me.

But then Gray says, "they will not take your application with any guns on it, as it may change during the training course."

So... what do I do?

Did Gray mean that they will take my app with or without any guns listed on it?
Old 09-02-2010, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
From what I've been told, they leave that section blank until you've been qualified for the license and go back to complete the process. Someone who's BTDT please correct me if I'm wrong.
Assuming Billy Jack is correct in his remarks then you should list the guns you intend to qualify with. When you qualify you will be provided a form to submit to Amber that lists the guns you shot and your score. That paperwork is submitted after your Live Scan results are back and you make your last F2F visit to the SO to pay $80 and fill out more paperwork.
Old 09-02-2010, 6:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Apologies, I was incorrect.

They will not take your application with the "good cause" portion of section 7 filled out. They want that on a separate letter. Go ahead and list the guns you intend to qualify for and if that changes, email Amber.
Old 09-02-2010, 6:32 PM

Quote:

They will not take your application with the "good cause" portion of section 7 filled out. They want that on a separate letter. Go ahead and list the guns you intend to qualify for and if that changes, email Amber.
Awesome, thanks!

I'll be calling Amber for the first time tomorrow to try scheduling an appointment. I'll do as others have done and keep everyone posted via this thread.
Old 09-02-2010, 6:48 PM

Quote:

They will not take your application with the "good cause" portion of section 7 filled out. They want that on a separate letter.
Curious that they require that. The security officer checked that I had it on separate paper before he issued a badge to see Amber. I wonder what the deal is with that.
Closed Thread