Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 08-30-2014, 9:39 AM

Default AR sights

Are backup irons (I'm using PSA aluminium front and rear) good enough for Appleseed? Or is it better to have fixed front and rear sights? If so, are there any recommendations as to which sights to get?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Can you adjust elevation and windage? Some backup irons are more capable than others...
Old 08-30-2014, 12:37 PM
CGSSA Leader

Any quality BUIS with click adjustments should be adequate. I haven't personally used PSA's but they look up to the task.

You'll want them mounted as far apart as possible (so called "sight radius"). On my AR the rear sight is on the second rail station, so that when folded down the sight sticks out just a little less than the carry handle, and the front sight is on the gas block.

You should be fine. I wouldn't buy different sights until trying what you have, and then only if they don't work for you. See you soon!

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.

Last edited by as_rocketman; 08-30-2014 at 12:39 PM..
Old 08-30-2014, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
Any quality BUIS with click adjustments should be adequate. I haven't personally used PSA's but they look up to the task.

You'll want them mounted as far apart as possible (so called "sight radius"). On my AR the rear sight is on the second rail station, so that when folded down the sight sticks out just a little less than the carry handle, and the front sight is on the gas block.

You should be fine. I wouldn't buy different sights until trying what you have, and then only if they don't work for you. See you soon!

Thanks for the answer! While I have you here, I'd like to ask: how bad of an idea it is to use a .223 upper? My .22 upper is having issues. Also, would I learn less if I use a 3-9x scope?
Old 08-30-2014, 8:44 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutenri View Post
Thanks for the answer! While I have you here, I'd like to ask: how bad of an idea it is to use a .223 upper? My .22 upper is having issues. Also, would I learn less if I use a 3-9x scope?
At our last Appleseed we had two students shooting 5.56... it's just a question of money. Go right ahead if you want to.

You can use a scope if you like. Many students need a scope, and that includes you if you'll have trouble seeing a 4 MOA target. (My eyesight is right on the edge.) But scopes are not magic and they come with their own tradeoffs. You should bring the rifle the way you feel most comfortable shooting, and the way you're most likely to use it, whether that's irons or scoped.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 08-31-2014, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
At our last Appleseed we had two students shooting 5.56... it's just a question of money. Go right ahead if you want to.

You can use a scope if you like. Many students need a scope, and that includes you if you'll have trouble seeing a 4 MOA target. (My eyesight is right on the edge.) But scopes are not magic and they come with their own tradeoffs. You should bring the rifle the way you feel most comfortable shooting, and the way you're most likely to use it, whether that's irons or scoped.
Thanks! I hope to attend an Appleseed soon™
Old 09-01-2014, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

They're well worth doing. Last time I was shooting their course of fire (AQT) in the 230s and I'm hoping to go again this year as a brush up.

Anyway, just wanted to reinforce what Rocketman said - I've done it with my 5.56 AR with surplus ammo and it was fine. I think when you're first starting it's nicer to have as little recoil as possible but that wouldn't be enough for me to delay if I had the time to go and no reliable .22. You're going to be shooting a good number of rounds and having a reliable rifle is probably the #1 thing that'll avoid frustration.

I'm a marginal eyesight guy myself. Personally I think something like a 4x scope has a lot going for it - just enough to see the smallest target with my eyesight, but not so much magnification that I'm getting confused while standing and the rifle's swinging around and not so much that I can even see the holes necessarily - you don't want to be chasing your shots around on the fly.

Basically if you take a 1" black square out to 25 meters can you imagine shooting that or not? Doesn't have to be 100% crisp but if you can imagine knowing if a post is more or less centered in there you'll do OK.