Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 03-05-2014, 2:35 PM

Default Magpul S3 sling

My wife and I have signed up for the Appleseed class in April 19 and 20. We will each bring an AR-15 as these are the only rifles we have. These two guns are already fitted with Magpul S3 slings, and we are wondering if it is possible to use these slings for the positional shooting training?

I understand that positional shooting with sling requires a loop in the sling. Since the Magpul S3 sling has not shortage of loops on it, I prefer not to buy two GI slings just for the class if possible. Any one has experience using S3 for positional shooting? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2014, 8:44 PM
CGSSA Leader

Loop Sling is not required. You can use just about any two-point sling you want, using the Hasty Sling technique. This works fine in position shooting, though I personally find the Loop Sling technique works better in prone.

The Magpuls will do Hasty just fine, but getting them to do a Loop Sling will be tricky. I think I can see a way to do it by setting it as a "one-point" sling attached at the front swivel, then using the coupler buckle to make the loop, but it'll be kinda clumsy. I'd suggest you try it out ahead of time and see if it'll work for you, and if not, just stick with Hasty.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:41 PM

Very helpful. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
Loop Sling is not required. You can use just about any two-point sling you want, using the Hasty Sling technique. This works fine in position shooting, though I personally find the Loop Sling technique works better in prone.

The Magpuls will do Hasty just fine, but getting them to do a Loop Sling will be tricky. I think I can see a way to do it by setting it as a "one-point" sling attached at the front swivel, then using the coupler buckle to make the loop, but it'll be kinda clumsy. I'd suggest you try it out ahead of time and see if it'll work for you, and if not, just stick with Hasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 5:07 PM

Just an update. I have used Magpul MS3 as a loop sling successfully in my first Appleseed shoot. It took some adaptations, but it worked very well.