Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 PM

Default Use CZ 452 in Appleseed?

I'm new to shooting and I haven't fired any bolt action rifle yet. Recently I ordered a CZ 452 trainer and plan to use it in Appleseed. I don't expect to get the rifleman patch on my first try, but I also don't want to be unprepared.

So here are two questions:
1. Is the original iron sight of this rifle OK for Appleseed? Is Tech Sight required?
2. How many 5rds mags do I need? How about 10rds mags? They're incredibly expensive, so I'd like to get the minimum number needed.
Old 03-02-2014, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmichael View Post
I'm new to shooting and I haven't fired any bolt action rifle yet. Recently I ordered a CZ 452 trainer and plan to use it in Appleseed. I don't expect to get the rifleman patch on my first try, but I also don't want to be unprepared.

So here are two questions:
1. Is the original iron sight of this rifle OK for Appleseed? Is Tech Sight required?
Tech Sights are nice, but the CZ has pretty good iron sights for an out of the box rifle. If it's your first time, I'd just run it and see how it works for you.

Quote:
2. How many 5rds mags do I need? How about 10rds mags? They're incredibly expensive, so I'd like to get the minimum number needed.
You can do everything with two 5rd mags. You'll have to do a mag swap in one timed position - standing - where others don't, but you've got two minutes to do 10 rounds, so really it's not an issue.

The main thing that would be good to do in advance is get a sling mounted on the rifle.
Old 03-02-2014, 4:33 PM

I'm not familiar with the 452, but I just shot an Appleseed with a 455.

The original iron sights work well enough. Suggest you sight it in before hand since the sights require tools to adjust and may take a bit more time. The tech sights increase your sight radius a bit and allow adjustment by hand.

You'll need at least two magazines. One 5rd, and one 10rd was easiest for me. The courses of fire are usually one mag of 10rd, one mag of 2rd and one mag of 8rd, and finally 13rd however you'd like to load it. I have some extra mags you can borrow, PM me.

Other suggestions:
-Soft elbow pads made it less painful for me.
-Slightly wider shooting mat/tarp/whatever keeps the knees out of the mud.
-Practice removing and inserting the magazine by feel.
-If possible, shoot a few hundred rounds before the event to break-in and get use to your rifle.
-Don't rush and have fun.
Old 03-02-2014, 4:44 PM
In Memoriam

I think the CZ452 would work and it's a very accurate rifle out of the box but I would not swap the sights.

All good info PP, but I wouldn't want to put a sling on my 452's stock.
It's more of a bench rifle for me with it's long barrel length.
Years ago I put Tech Sights on a Marlin 60 that I was thinking about using for Appleseed.
While it shoots great and the Tech Sight irons are a 100% improvement, I'm rethinking this decision because of it being tube fed.
I thinking hard about going with the Marlin795 for Appleseed.
A semi auto that accepts a mag's, What's not to love. -g

http://www.marlinforum.com/The-Apple...ing-Rifle.html
Old 03-02-2014, 9:56 PM
CGSSA Leader

I've had a first-time Appleseeder score Rifleman with a box-stock CZ 452 Trainer. Just be sure you get a sling mounted (he had). I wouldn't order Tech Sights until you try the stock ones, and only then if you decide you don't like 'em.

Mags are expensive but you'll want some spares anyway. The polymer ones work better than steel for some reason, and are slightly cheaper. I'd get a 10-round to go with your existing 5-round and that will be enough for now, if that's all you can afford.

I've shot the score with a CZ 452 Varmint, scoped... not that hard really. Just be sure you clean up Stage 4.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 03-03-2014, 8:21 PM

I shot Rifleman last year with my 452 Trainer. I have Brno Match Peep sights on mine but the stock sights are certainly capable of getting the job done.

Take the excellent suggestions mentioned above and you'll enjoy the experience even more.

I'll add one thing: Break in your bolt and practice your bolt action. Many CZ bolts are smooth out of the box but they all benefit/get smoother from a break in period. Smooth bolt operation is very important in stage 2 and 3 because of the alotted time.

My Trainer came with studs for mounting sling swivels so unless something has changed you wont need to drill into your stock.

I also have a 10 round magazine that you can borrow if you need (in Oakland)
Old 03-04-2014, 5:03 PM

I've done the Appleseed with a bolt rifle - they are accurate. I shot the rifle over 1500rds before going to an Appleseed but I still had problems keeping up in the timed stages. Cycling the bolt, changing mags, and coming back on target is a lot harder than a Ruger 10/22 that's why I decided to use it.

If your up to it I would at least practice a brick or two before going. This way you'll know the equipment and then only worry about shooting technique at the AS.

You will need at least another 10rd mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmichael View Post
I'm new to shooting and I haven't fired any bolt action rifle yet
Old 03-04-2014, 7:55 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhc11 View Post
I shot the rifle over 1500rds before going to an Appleseed but I still had problems keeping up in the timed stages. Cycling the bolt, changing mags, and coming back on target is a lot harder than a Ruger 10/22 that's why I decided to use it.
Yup, it is... which is why a bolt action can be a good teacher. When you have to break position on every shot, it's absolutely vital to get back into your NPOA quickly, and the Rifleman's Bubble is everything. It is more difficult. But it's far from impossible.

On the timed stages it also stresses the field shooting concept of "good enough." If you work the bolt, check your NPOA, and you're on the black but not quite centered -- take the shot. Accept a few 4's rather than spending the time to adjust your NPOA for 5's.

You can make up for it on Stage 4 when you've got all the time in the world. A score of 48-50 on Stage 4 solves many problems.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 PM

Thanks guys! That's a lot useful information. I've already ordered a 10rd mag two days ago. Will practice as soon as I receive the rifle (it's still at the seller's)
Old 03-25-2014, 7:30 PM

I got these for my CZ 452 UL

IYAOYAS
Old 03-25-2014, 9:08 PM

That rear sight is awesome!
For the front sight I would exchange that circle disc for one with a post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gau17 View Post
I got these for my CZ 452 UL

Old 03-26-2014, 7:00 AM

The globe type insert is great for NRA/Olympic style targets, a post works better for Appleseed style squares and D-silhouettes.
Old 04-20-2014, 8:50 AM

Tried with with my new RAR yesterday. The 55 seconds in second stage was my make or break stage. I didn't earn my patch, but learned a whole bunch that'll help me out on the next one ...more important was hanging out and having fun with fellow patriots on this special day
Old 04-20-2014, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Tried with with my new RAR yesterday. The 55 seconds in second stage was my make or break stage. I didn't earn my patch, but learned a whole bunch that'll help me out on the next one ...more important was hanging out and having fun with fellow patriots on this special day
Glad it was a good day. The second stage is brutal, just getting all shots out of the rifle and in the vicinity of the intended target is considered a small victory The patch will come. It took a lot of practice for me in between Appleseeds. I found a free Appleseed app for my android phone that helped with the short timed stages but more rounds position shooting downrange was obviously the key for me.
Old 04-20-2014, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

You can help a lot with the time if you dry fire practice. It will help you get into position quickly, let you know how many times you can check NPOA and when before firing the trigger, let you know how to scoot to the other target efficiently, etc. Even how quickly to breathe to get the cadence going at a good clip.

For me it's something like
1. Plop into position.
2. Breathe out. Check NPOA. If it's acceptable pull the trigger. Probably isn't.
3. Make minor adjustment while breathing in. Breathe out. Check NPOA. Unless it's really bad pull the trigger otherwise repeat this step. If you're not usually close enough by this step you need to focus on getting a good NPOA on the first or second try.
4. Trust NPOA. Shoot at cadence until you're done with that target or have to reload or something. This is where you make up the time it took you to make sure you're OK - if you really got your NPOA good you can crank out a lot of accurate rounds here.
5. After a transition or reload go back to step 2.
6. When you run out of bullets do the routine to make the gun safe so you don't get yelled at.

One trick on slow fire is that you might as well switch to checking NPOA before EVERY shot. You might as well, you have the time. Whats the rush. So it's breathe - check - breathe - shoot - breathe - check etc.