Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 03-08-2014, 10:30 AM

Default Last few day to sign up for Corona (Raahauges) March 15/16 2014

Spring is here!

Round up some rifles and some ammo and come on out and join some other folks to celebrate the great American Tradition of Rifle Marksmanship and hear the stories of rousing daring do, detemined resistance and dogged don't give upedness (is that a word) that gave us a unique system of government.

Heck, looks like even CA is being forced to recognize the law of the land this year.... spring is indeed here. Lets get together and celebrate the good old fashioned way, putting some well aimed lead down range....

For those who don't know here at Appleseed we name "shoot events" after the local town rather than the ranges (so as not to upset other local ranges which might also host events) so Corona is held at Mike Raahauges ranges, we have our own bay for the weekend.

Information on the range, what to bring, etc., is here and to sign up online simply click here

Look forwared to seeing you all this weekend.

Cheers
Phil "V"
Old 03-12-2014, 2:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

I am torn... I've wanted to attend an Appleseed event for over a year. This weekend there is a Carbine 101 class at Prado on Sunday, or I can attend the Appleseed event... I am leaning towards Appleseed!

But my supply of .22 ammo is very limited. I have over 1K of 5.56... What advantage or disadvantage is there in the 10/22 vs. AR at Appleseed? Honestly I feel I am much more accurate with my AR than my 25+ year old Ruger 10/22...

Please advise...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 03-12-2014, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

Most people use .22s because they're fine at that distance, easier to manage, and .22 is SUPPOSED to be cheaper. That being said there will be ARs there. Just make sure there's a suitable sling on there, and think about how you'll do the mag changes. There was a recent thread on that if you need some tips.
Old 03-12-2014, 8:29 PM
CGSSA Leader

yep, historically we've had about 10% either AR-15's or Mini-14's or similar on the line. It's very doable.

The advantage of .22's is that both rifles and ammunition are cheaper, even in these days of great ammunition scarcity. Also fewer people develop a flinch with .22's -- not that the recoil of a 5.56 is anything much, but some of them are awfully loud!

Feel free to come out with your AR-15. Or better yet bring both in case you change your mind (or one of your rifles goes down).

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Thanks Rocketman!

I've been sitting on my last brick of .22's for over 18 months, so I may just bring both. As for mag changes, that's a zero issue with my AR... I've got these: Ultimate Bullet Button Tool
UBBT.jpg

http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/...STALL-KITS.htm

Do I have to sign up in advance, or can I sign up there?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 03-13-2014, 8:14 PM
CGSSA Leader

You can sign up at the event, but signing up in advance guarantees you a spot on the line.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sign up shows 12 spots still available... how many total attendees for this event?
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 03-14-2014, 1:51 AM

13 per preregs as of thur night. Theres usually a few walkons at this range as well
Old 03-15-2014, 8:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dammit, I overslept! I had set new alarm for 6:30PM, not AM! Woke at nearly 8... dammit, I was already to go! Everything packed and by the door!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 03-24-2014, 5:55 PM

Quick question, since the "10/30" mags for a 10 22 Ruger get in the way while prone, would any rifle with a pistol grip get in the way as well? All of my rifles including the 10 22 are fitted with a pistol grip and i'm trying to see what my options are. Thank you.

AK Addict
CZ Yuppie
1911 Student
NRA Member

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed" - Judge Alex Kozinski
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 AM

Pistol grip should be fine, just a few things to watch out for in terms of hand placement and trigger control, which will be coached on the firing line. The 30 round mags do get in the way in prone, so it's smart to have an alternative.