Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 01-16-2014, 9:22 AM

Default Life after Rifleman

So what's next? I feel like a chunky boy that just finished his highly anticipated cake, and realized that it's gone forever........ I feel like I'm aimlessly going about life, now that I've gotten patched, without a goal to shoot for. Is there some super secret club house where all the Rifleman gather?

All kidding aside, what can one do to actively be a part of appleseed? I know there is the KD event, but what happens to all the patched Riflemen?
Old 01-16-2014, 1:58 PM
Veteran Member

Well, you have a variety of choices.

1. If you've made rifleman and gone to two appleseeds you're qualified to take an orange hat and become an instructor in training.
2. Known distance is definitely an option. I've done that and it's well worthwhile.
3. You can try it with different weapons. If you did it with a .22 you can move to a centerfire (possibly combined with known distance) or a bolt action or...
4. You can just go once a year to brush up.

And of course the seventh step of firing the shot is to get your friends to go. You might or might not tag along to offer support and advice.

I don't have time to commit to enough weekends to become an IIT so I made rifleman, two years later (2013) did an Appleseed where I shot 25m Saturday with the AR and requalified and then Sunday moved over to the 200 meter side and got that patch. In 2014 I'd LIKE to attend a regular appleseed with a .22 bolt action and a KD shoot with a Garand but we'll see if I have time for either of those, let alone both.

Last edited by Eljay; 01-16-2014 at 2:00 PM..
Old 01-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

I'm pretty lucky in that my wife, nephew and a couple friends are interested in Appleseed, and are all actively practicing to earn their patches too. We've planned to attend a few events this year as a result.

As for me, I earned my patch shooting a 10/22. I had a personal goal to earn it with irons (even though my eyes aint the best for use with them) because it felt somehow more authentic. Sort of my way of nodding to those riflemen of the past.

I've since moved on to the "modern musket" and am practicing to earn my next patch with an AR15 and an optic. Again, my way of offering a tip of the cap to our modern warriors.

Once accomplished, its all about the M1 Garand and earning another patch with that. Can't wait for this one, actually.

Then what? Who knows. A lever gun sounds fun, maybe a 1903? ... Sprinkle in a handful of KD events and I've got my next few years lined up.

Bottom line? Earning the patch for me wasn't the end of an experience, but rather it was only the first step. I'm really enjoying refining my skills with the 'next' rifle as I work toward the 'next' patch, and I'm having even more fun helping my friends and family work toward their goals too.

And honestly, an Appleseed event isn't just about the gun or patch or shooting. Its much more; its a retelling of our American history and heritage and no two Appleseed events are the same because of it. There are so many stories to tell and hear and remember. You could go back time and again for them alone.

Last edited by BigJ; 01-18-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Old 01-18-2014, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

There's also nothing wrong with just going for a better score. 210 leaves a lot of points on the table... I've seen somebody shoot in the 240s so I know it's possible...
Old 01-18-2014, 8:54 PM

Default NRA Hi-Power

Try Hi-power shooting, learn to read the wind at long distances. More $$$ but it can be the next level.
Old 02-06-2014, 2:29 PM

Well said BigJ.