Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 11-14-2013, 7:23 PM

Default New shooter & Appleseed

Hello,

I'm new to shooting and have recently discovered Appleseed here and on a few other forums.
I'm am very interested in attending one in the near future here in Sacramento. I'm 39 and wondered if it is mainly for kids or shooters of all ages? I don't want to be the only old dude.
My girlfriend and brother would actually be interested in participating as well.

Thanks!
Jason
Old 11-14-2013, 7:30 PM

Although kids do show up at the appleseeds, I'd say its about been 80% adults to the ones I've been to. Don't let the name fool ya, it ain't applesauce, it's an all day event that leaves ya tired but satisfied with what you've learned, about marksmanship and our heritage as Americans. Boy do I love shootin me some red coats.
Old 11-14-2013, 9:21 PM

NorCal55, it sounds like you, your girl friend and brother would fit right into the mix. You will be in very good hands with the Sacramento crew.
Old 11-15-2013, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

Here's some recent Sacramento pictures to give you some idea: http://share.shutterfly.com/view/fla...=1IbsmLFmzZMgI
Old 11-15-2013, 6:50 PM
CGSSA Leader

On my line at Azusa this week, I'll have one 9 year old and one 70+ year old. The majority this year are late teens to early 40's, but it's an eclectic bunch.

Fortunately the fundamentals of field shooting are the same no matter how old you are. You'll fit in fine.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 01-26-2014, 4:06 PM

Looking forward to going to an Appleseed in Feb up in Sac. I'll be bringing my Savage 64 with a 2-7x32mm scope.

My wife wants to go to the Ladyseed and take our 15 year old daughter in early March. Then I'm going to go again in mid-March and take our 14 year old son.

My son will be using his Marlin XT-22. He doesn't have a scope yet, and the iron sights on it are really not great. I'm wanting him to get a scope as well. The gals will borrow our rifles when they go.

I'm curious how important AO is? My scope does not have it, and the scope I was planning to get my son doesn't either. These are just 22s.
Old 01-26-2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
I'm curious how important AO is? My scope does not have it, and the scope I was planning to get my son doesn't either. These are just 22s.
Not an issue. As you say, they are just 22s, and you're just shooting at one distance - 25 meters - at least at Sacto.
Old 01-26-2014, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeople View Post
Not an issue. As you say, they are just 22s, and you're just shooting at one distance - 25 meters - at least at Sacto.
Cool. I went ahead and just picked up the Tech Sights MXT200 for my son's Marlin XT-22R, plus the Sling M14 - 1" x 48" Synthetic that Appleseed teachs with (well, they use the 1.25", but our rifles are black, so I wanted it to match).
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 AM

As a 19 year old who did his first appleseed in november, i can say that appleseed can be done by all ages, and that there are mostly adults, but there is also a good amount of young kids that come out as well.

Knowing a few of the instructors from sacramento you will be in good hands if you go to one there.