Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 11-13-2014, 6:30 PM

Default no Appleseed events >25 yards in Sac?

Are there any Appleseed events within a couple hours drive of Sacramento where students will shoot from AT LEAST 100yds, preferably farther? I almost signed up for the event at sac valley but was told it was limited to 25 yards, and I'd really like to shoot my new AR at longer ranges. I know many of the basic skills will transfer over, but IME it's really a different animal.
Old 11-13-2014, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

Have you tried it?

~Pope John Paul II
Old 11-13-2014, 6:50 PM

There's one in San Jose this month. I think you have to attended a 25yd appleseed previously.

Red Bluff has had them in the past, I don't know if they will in the future. I haven't seen a 2015 schedule yet.

If you haven't been to an Appleseed (25 meters) I recommend you attend. Everything that is taught is designed to be used at any distance.

I'll be in Sac this weekend. I have attended many appleseeds and still have a great time even at 25 meters.

The AQT is a humbling course of fire.

Longer distances are more fun and more of a challenge but it takes WAY longer to check the targets.

pg
Old 11-13-2014, 7:32 PM

Red Bluff will only be 25 meters for 2014/2015.

However, Hat Creek will be running several 100-400 yard Appleseeds starting spring of 2015. The range is 10 miles east of Burney right on highway 299. (which makes it one hour NE of Redding)

Join us at SacValley Shooting Center (this weekend) and get the basics mastered, then stretch your skills at Hat Creek on the Full Distance AQT spring 2015.

I'll be at both events.

Last edited by Rock6.3; 11-13-2014 at 7:35 PM..
Old 11-13-2014, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock6.3 View Post
Red Bluff will only be 25 meters for 2014/2015.

However, Hat Creek will be running several 100-400 yard Appleseeds starting spring of 2015. The range is 10 miles east of Burney right on highway 299. (which makes it one hour NE of Redding)

Join us at SacValley Shooting Center (this weekend) and get the basics mastered, then stretch your skills at Hat Creek on the Full Distance AQT spring 2015.

I'll be at both events.
Is the one this weekend a reduced round count (200rds), or the full 4-500?

I'm sorta running into a dilemma. The rifle I wanted to bring to the event is an AR that I'm picking up tomorrow (Friday) evening. But.... I only have one magazine (more coming in the mail but they aren't due for a week), and I do not have a sling for it yet.... I know a sling is important, do you know where I could get a decent one in Sacramento tomorrow? Unfortunately, I work 7:30-5:30 so lots of gun shops are closed before I can get there on weekdays, and don't open early enough for me to go Sat morning before the event.

I do have enough ammo, and I plan on shooting a couple hundred rounds tomorrow evening to break everything in and zero the sights, but the mag+sling problem worries me. Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverftw View Post
Is the one this weekend a reduced round count (200rds), or the full 4-500?

I'm sorta running into a dilemma. The rifle I wanted to bring to the event is an AR that I'm picking up tomorrow (Friday) evening. But.... I only have one magazine (more coming in the mail but they aren't due for a week), and I do not have a sling for it yet.... I know a sling is important, do you know where I could get a decent one in Sacramento tomorrow? Unfortunately, I work 7:30-5:30 so lots of gun shops are closed before I can get there on weekdays, and don't open early enough for me to go Sat morning before the event.

I do have enough ammo, and I plan on shooting a couple hundred rounds tomorrow evening to break everything in and zero the sights, but the mag+sling problem worries me. Thoughts?
I'll bring you AR15 magazines and a sling to use at the Appleseed.
And we'll get your sights zeroed as part of the normal program so save your ammo and do it on Saturday morning.
Estimate close to 400 rounds for the weekend.
Old 11-14-2014, 3:48 PM

Cool, thanks I really appreciate it. I got my mags in the mail today, so I'll bring 4 tomorrow. Goin to pick up my carbine in an hour! Woohoo!
Old 11-15-2014, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2014, 6:38 PM

The event was awesome, I ended up shooting a 204 on the AQT today (up from my first score of144 on Sat). 6 points away from Rifleman... dang! I'll get it next time. Check out my thread in the general discussion section for a more detailed report (posted there to getmore traffic and spread the word about this fantastic organisation).
Old 11-17-2014, 7:58 AM
Veteran Member

Here's the link
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1005336