Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 01-30-2018, 4:22 PM

Default Virginia online ccw permit

Hello everyone I am just curious if anyone has attained a non resident ccw permit from Virginia through online classes I’ve done some research and it seems legit just wondering if anyone has actually done it from California?
Also I realize it wouldn’t be recognized here at all. Thanks in advance
Old 01-30-2018, 4:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My Utah & Arizona non resident permits give me 34 states, which includes Virginia, I recommend going this route for ease of applications with no live firing required.
Old 01-30-2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K001 View Post
My Utah & Arizona non resident permits give me 34 states, which includes Virginia, I recommend going this route for ease of applications with no live firing required.
^^^ this
Old 01-30-2018, 5:02 PM

K001 thanks for the reply. would you please give me some info of the process and where to find the online courses that you used?
Old 01-30-2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Donut View Post
K001 thanks for the reply. would you please give me some info of the process and where to find the online courses that you used?
May I suggest you visit the AZ CCW site and read the requirements listed.
Many CA residents have AZ CCW's without any online courses.

AZ CCW

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 01-30-2018, 5:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
May I suggest you visit the AZ CCW site and read the requirements listed.
Many CA residents have AZ CCW's without any online courses.

AZ CCW
Yep AZ will allow u to carry in Virginia.
Old 01-30-2018, 5:34 PM

I may have confused my question I’m sorry what I mean is: Although I Live in California I am interested in a non resident ccw issued by Virginia specifically for the convinience that they offer the courses online with no range time. Has anyone done this or something similar? If so which websites and Steps did you take?
Old 01-30-2018, 5:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Research online, local CCW classes...they are offered by many certified trainers all over the state.
Old 01-30-2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
I may have confused my question I’m sorry what I mean is: Although I Live in California I am interested in a non resident ccw issued by Virginia specifically for the convinience that they offer the courses online with no range time. Has anyone done this or something similar? If so which websites and Steps did you take?
As stated you can use a AZ CCW in Virginia. You may already have the requirements met for a AZ with no need for a online class.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 02-17-2018, 8:29 AM

Yes, I took the online course and submitted Virginia NR Application. Had to have prints taken twice at Culver City PD as supposedly FBI couldn't read first set. Finally received permit last month. Good in about 30 states. If House bill were to pass Senate as written, California would be forced to accept it even for California residents
Old 02-17-2018, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsculptor View Post
Yes, I took the online course and submitted Virginia NR Application. Had to have prints taken twice at Culver City PD as supposedly FBI couldn't read first set. Finally received permit last month. Good in about 30 states. If House bill were to pass Senate as written, California would be forced to accept it even for California residents
Don't hold your breath because it is not guaranteed that non resident permits would qualify for reciprocity California would probably just stop issuing all together.
Don't get me wrong I hope it would be true but my gut tells me it will be tied up in the courts for years.
Old 02-17-2018, 9:35 AM

According to an article I read by one of the sponsors of the House Bill that passed, it absolutely applies to N/R permits and would apply anywhere in US even in NY and Cali. I agree that the likelihood of Senate passage is a long shot at best. See q & a. https://www.concealedcarry.com/natio...y-reciprocity/

Last edited by metalsculptor; 02-17-2018 at 3:53 PM..
Old 02-17-2018, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

From the AZ CCW permit page.

"Some states only recognize permits from persons who are a resident of the issuing state the AZ CCW"

So even though you have one of these "online" NON resident CCW's from State X, it might not be "valid" in some states if you are not a resident of the issuing state?
Old 02-17-2018, 7:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That is one of the reaaons why I have the Arizona non resident permit as well as Utah
Old 02-17-2018, 7:55 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
From the AZ CCW permit page.

"Some states only recognize permits from persons who are a resident of the issuing state the AZ CCW"

So even though you have one of these "online" NON resident CCW's from State X, it might not be "valid" in some states if you are not a resident of the issuing state?
Correct.
Colorado, South Carolina, and Florida are three states that do not recognize non-resident permits.

BTW: AZ does not require range time/live fire.
An NRA hunter safety course or basic handgun qualifies for AZ, but AZ does not accept online training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-17-2018, 7:57 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
According to an article I read by one of the sponsors of the House Bill that passed, it absolutely applies to N/R permits and would apply anywhere in US even in NY and Cali. I agree that the likelihood of Senate passage is a long shot at best. See q & a. https://www.concealedcarry.com/natio...y-reciprocity/
Still has to pass the Senate, and then the two bills are reconciled before going to Trump for his signature.

The author of AB38 stated that his intent is for non-resident permits to qualify, but that may not survive the next two steps... if it doesn't stall out completely in the Senate.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-17-2018, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Correct.
Colorado, South Carolina, and Florida are three states that do not recognize non-resident permits.

BTW: AZ does not require range time/live fire.
An NRA hunter safety course or basic handgun qualifies for AZ, but AZ does not accept online training.
Thank you for that info, been in New Mexico 10 months now and still haven't had time to do in depth research on NM gun laws. Too many other issues to deal with.

Wonder if my CA DOJ Firearm Safety Certificate works for any of the requirements?
Old 02-17-2018, 9:04 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
Thank you for that info, been in New Mexico 10 months now and still haven't had time to do in depth research on NM gun laws. Too many other issues to deal with.
Be sure to read up on them.
While a permit holder can even carry in a bar in AZ as long as they aren't drinking (and can drink in NV as long as they are not under the influence), in New Mexico, a permit holder may not enter an establishment that sells other than wine or low-point beer.
No carrying in Chili's, Outback, or even Applebee's

Quote:
Wonder if my CA DOJ Firearm Safety Certificate works for any of the requirements?
Doubtful

Quote:
Old 03-31-2018, 5:59 PM

Yes, I did it through concel online course but I also am certified through my private range via range officer deemed holster certified as well. I sent theim a copy of that, my CA Hangun and rifle card, my life membership of nra as a patriot member etc and frankly it took from April to August to get it but I did.mines good for 5 years and 31 states
Good luck and above all be patient
Old 04-06-2018, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone I am just curious if anyone has attained a non resident ccw permit from Virginia through online classes I’ve done some research and it seems legit just wondering if anyone has actually done it from California?

Also I realize it wouldn’t be recognized here at all. Thanks in advance

Mr. Donut. I am an NRA instructor in the South Bay LA area and offer non- resident permit classes for Arizona, Florida and Utah. Please check out my website at www.completegunsafety.com for more information. Please feel free to contact me should you have questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I got a VA permit....took about 5 months to get though. Online class, ink prints, notarized app and passport style photos plus $100 mail order and then just wait around for the permit.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 PM

I got the VA permit as well, took many months as I had to resubmit fingerprints.
Old 05-06-2018, 9:10 PM

Just got mine today. Submitted in October. Used Rocket CCW.
Old 05-07-2018, 5:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I got the VA permit as well, took many months as I had to resubmit fingerprints.
How long from initial mailing to notification that you needed to re submit finger prints?
Old 07-02-2018, 7:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yay!
Got my Virginia permit today.
Mailed in the application first week of February. A little under five months.
Old 08-25-2018, 2:39 PM

I too received my Va ccw about 6 months ago. The big question should be, what states allow non-residents to conceal carry on their states.
Old 08-25-2018, 3:24 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiakid View Post
I too received my Va ccw about 6 months ago. The big question should be, what states allow non-residents to conceal carry on their states.
The only reciprosity difference between VA and AZ is that AZ allows for carry in Delaware.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AZ_CCW.jpg (46.1 KB, 122 views)

Quote: